Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, that and a chassis and suspension with stiffness comparable to melted cheese. My mother in law had a V6 5-speed Camry and while it definitely had some power, the rest of the car just sucked every ounce of fun out of it.

But in this line of thought, I'm sure you could get the suspension sorted and still close enough to stock height to be at least somewhat respectable. It's not gonna be cheap and it's gonna "ruin" the ride comfort, that's for sure.

e: also, brakes. Those things aren't gonna handle more power well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Grassroots Motorsports recently built a V6 Camry autocross car, and they went through two junkyard motors (one with an Accusump) before they decided it just wasn't economically feasible. Of course, if they had started with a Maxima...

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/so-now-we-know-never-try-to-make-a-camry-into-a-ra/65588/page1/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 9, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

The stock Camry V6 is already 268 HP and healthy torque, and it's not that heavy a car.

My family has owned a series of V6 Camrys and Lexus ES's over the past 25ish years, and they can be shockingly fast if the driver uncharacteristically actually pushes the gas pedal. The current model has a solidly sub-6 second 0-60, and that's on generally mediocre stock all-seasons.

The new Lexus RXs are surprisingly quick.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toyota Australia released a 'factory' supercharged v6 Aurion (read: v6 camry). It had a reputation as a fiendishly impractical and useless vehicle, but it was fast.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Chinatown posted:

The new Lexus RXs are surprisingly quick.

Is it? C&D tested them to be slower than the old RX which wasn't that fast either. Going from RX350 to RX350 F Sport gets you 2 extra gears in the transmission though, which is a bit odd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I know this picture sucks but this is indeed a Pontiac Grand Am with the graphics from the Mustang in the first Transformers film.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Posted this in the "These are the people you share the road with", but here's a car club that shows that not only will people nearly fully smoke their taillights, but drive summer tires during a snowstorm and give terrible excuses.

http://imgur.com/a/X94zq

If anyone is looking to pick up a Focus ST that's been totaled, keep an eye out for one in Craigslist in Illinois.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Posted this in the "These are the people you share the road with", but here's a car club that shows that not only will people nearly fully smoke their taillights, but drive summer tires during a snowstorm and give terrible excuses.

If anyone is looking to pick up a Focus ST that's been totaled, keep an eye out for one in Craigslist in Illinois.

Holy poo poo. Summer tires in snow AND he plastidipped his tail lights. Great. Glad I live nowhere near him.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think one of the funniest car related things I have ever seen was an old friend who went to school in Arizona coming back to the upper midwest with his brand new IS 250 RWD on summer performance tires. Watching him try to navigate my neighborhood's ice and snow covered streets was nothing short of hilarious (as long as I wasn't in the car with him). He maintained that "traction control and patience" were all he needed.

:rolleyes: Yeah right, buddy. And a healthy insurance policy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Man, as someone who currently has all-seasons on my car, it's scary whenever I hit any snow. When you start sliding sideways instead of accelerating forward...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ringo Star Get posted:

He is full of poo poo. I put my f1s back on my car a couple weeks to early when I first moved out here and thought I was going to die when a late April snowstorm hit. I barely made it out of the parking lot that had about a 5% incline. A couple years ago I was going up to Keystone and I saw an R32 with F1s on it, with about 4 inches of snowpack on the road. Stayed as far the gently caress away from him as possible.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

He is full of poo poo. I put my f1s back on my car a couple weeks to early when I first moved out here and thought I was going to die when a late April snowstorm hit. I barely made it out of the parking lot that had about a 5% incline. A couple years ago I was going up to Keystone and I saw an R32 with F1s on it, with about 4 inches of snowpack on the road. Stayed as far the gently caress away from him as possible.

Some of these guys are pretty oblivious. When I first started to drive I was blown away by how much natural leeway you had in traffic for loving up while I was learning and not instantly getting into a horrible crash. I assume some people find that out and then accept it as gospel for the rest of their driving career instead of improving from that stage.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm blown away that people aren't constantly crashing into others and it's possible to drive anywhere at all.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Tis the season for bad winter driving talk, isn't it?

Last year, the north part of Highway 99/Evergreen Way in Everett WA froze solid one night, to the point that the 4/6 lanes basically looked like a giant ice rink.

That was one of the scariest drives ever for me. I was just getting used to the CX-5 and was doing okay, being incredibly cautious and trying to keep a good distance from everyone else on the road, but holy poo poo the people around me. :stare: I am genuinely surprised I got out of that unharmed. One person next to me in some giant boat of a car very nearly slid sideways into me, and glancing over at them, they looked entirely oblivious about the whole thing. I got off that stupid road as soon as I could.

These idiots are bad enough in good weather, but you throw something serious at them, and it's terrifying.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Code Jockey posted:

they looked entirely oblivious about the whole thing. I got off that stupid road as soon as I could.

These idiots are bad enough in good weather, but you throw something serious at them, and it's terrifying.

Clearly ignorance is bliss (and a good way to piss off your insurance.)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I've been actively trying to find the breaking point of my new winter tires. So far the only way I can get loose is by standing on the throttle going less than 10mph.

Also, don't forget, AWD will keep you out of the ditch no matter what tires you have.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday I had to leave for work in the middle of a minor blizzard (Well, it felt like one. It dropped about 3" of snow in an hour or two.) and the left lane of most of the roads I was on was completely undriven on, or had MAYBE one tire track down them, while the right lane was effectively clear, so long as your car stayed in the ruts.

So I'm going around a long loop of a curve at 35 in a 40 because every now and then a tire will slip a little where ice has formed, and I'd rather have problems going slower than faster, when a Pacifica comes around the bend behind me, flips its high beams on, and jerks into the left lane to pass me. As it gets about even with me it loses traction and starts to go sideways but catches traction just in time to not kill us all.

So instead of slowing down, the driver doubles down, finishes the pass, cuts in front of me, and takes off even faster.

The last I saw of him he was getting stuck in a traffic jam. I hope he was late to wherever he was going.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

veedubfreak posted:

I've been actively trying to find the breaking point of my new winter tires. So far the only way I can get loose is by standing on the throttle going less than 10mph.

Also, don't forget, AWD will keep you out of the ditch no matter what tires you have.

A set of 4x4 badges on the side of your enormous SUV automatically makes you a better driver.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

veedubfreak posted:

Yeah, when I had winter tyres on the WJ, I could almost do full-throttle launches on snow, it was sodding hilarious. Looking forward to finding out what the WRX is like.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Slavvy posted:

Toyota Australia released a 'factory' supercharged v6 Aurion (read: v6 camry). It had a reputation as a fiendishly impractical and useless vehicle, but it was fast.

In the US there was an option TRD SuperCharger for the 1mz v6, which is now pretty sought after for mr2 swaps. This awesome s/c V6 sw20 mr2 is on ebay right now

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Negromancer posted:

In the US there was an option TRD SuperCharger for the 1mz v6, which is now pretty sought after for mr2 swaps. This awesome s/c V6 sw20 mr2 is on ebay right now

Thank god that is across the country from me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nocheez posted:

Thank god that is across the country from me.

I'm sure they'll ship it for you :getin:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

veedubfreak posted:

I'm sure they'll ship it for you :getin:

Don't tempt me. I need to sell my '07 Camry first or my wife will kill me.

I honestly would want to test drive/look it over before buying it, but I have a soft spot for Toyotas from the 90's.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Hey now, you're being unfair. AWD and Traction Control will keep you out of the ditch regardless of tires or traction conditions.

Also, AWD means you can stop sooner in snow.

PCOS Bill posted:

Yesterday I had to leave for work in the middle of a minor blizzard (Well, it felt like one. It dropped about 3" of snow in an hour or two.)

Actually for a storm to be considered a Blizzard, a 50km/h wind is required, amount of snow doesn't matter. :eng101:

edit: Also, I saw a guy getting CPR on the highway after a multi-vehicle crash on the Deerfoot today. Drive safe guys.

edit2: oh, he's dead.
http://www.660news.com/2013/12/09/nortbound-deerfoot-closed-after-pedestrian-hit/

edit 3:
vvv McKnight->Metis->Stony->Deerfoot or McKnight->Metis->CrossIron Mills. No Biggie, just going to be slow.vvv

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 9, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Goondolences if you have to drive northbound Deerfoot tonight. If I had to guess even 2A will be clogged tonight with surburbanites trying to remember the one weird trick to using it to get to Airdrie.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Bad winter driving story time?

tl;dr Freezing rain + overpass + Massachusetts (specifically Worcester) drivers + Thanksgiving weekend = 65 car crash.

Thankfully the hospital is about 5 exits up

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Negromancer posted:

I need this in my life.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bovril Delight posted:

I need this in my life.

If it was a aw11 with that motor in it I would be buying plane tickets right now.....

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Negromancer posted:

If it was a aw11 with that motor in it I would be buying plane tickets right now.....

You could see if that guy with the Northstar V8 ever did anything with it.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Rhyno posted:

A set of 4x4 badges on the side of your enormous SUV automatically makes you a better driver.

"They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors and communitites... "

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bovril Delight posted:

If I was putting a V8 into an MR2, I'd use an LS4 so you'd have all the usual LS performance goodies available to you (or most, anyway).

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bovril Delight posted:

If I remember correctly, that was not only an auto(blasphemy in a mr2) but I think he had to move the front firewall 4" or so forward to make everything fit. There is no way I would be able to fit in it.

Fucknag posted:

If I was putting a V8 into an MR2, I'd use an LS4 so you'd have all the usual LS performance goodies available to you (or most, anyway).

I want to say the main reason he used the northstar is because it came in FWD cars that were pretty readily available and cheap.

*edit*

yea, no way in hell could I fit in the drivers seat. Here is the whole build

http://www.v8mr2.com/

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 10, 2013

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Goondolences if you have to drive northbound Deerfoot tonight. If I had to guess even 2A will be clogged tonight with surburbanites trying to remember the one weird trick to using it to get to Airdrie.

Jonny Nox posted:

edit 3:
vvv McKnight->Metis->Stony->Deerfoot or McKnight->Metis->CrossIron Mills. No Biggie, just going to be slow.vvv

Haha, so I ended up hanging around work until 7:00 and then risking the Deerfoot. This ended up in me flying at 100 and listening to the radio warn that my proposed alternate was bumper to bumper pretty much along it's entire length.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
You would think people who live in Wisconsin would be fairly good at driving in snow..... NOPE

http://bcove.me/mu9yo09a

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

`Nemesis posted:

You would think people who live in Wisconsin would be fairly good at driving in snow..... NOPE

Yeah but that's not bad at snow as not being prepared for driving speed to change suddenly. Would have been worse in torrential rains.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

The biggest morons are people out of their cars

Holy poo poo @ 4:12ish

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This just demonstrates how many people either don't pay attention or don't drive appropriately for the conditions. It's amazing how many times it looks like it's going to clear up then a couple idiots barrel in at 50mph and start it all up again.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

`Nemesis posted:

Came here to post this. You'd think for a state that has snow 4-5 months out of the year people would be used to the driving conditions. I can understand if somebody was stuck in their car and needed help to get out, but at some parts in the video it looks like the drivers are just standing around. :stonk: Good on the truck driver to stop and not try to weave through there.

Just on my ~2mi drive to work this morning I saw police responding to 3 different accidents.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Snackpack Backpack posted:

Came here to post this. You'd think for a state that has snow 4-5 months out of the year people would be used to the driving conditions. I can understand if somebody was stuck in their car and needed help to get out, but at some parts in the video it looks like the drivers are just standing around. :stonk: Good on the truck driver to stop and not try to weave through there.

Just on my ~2mi drive to work this morning I saw police responding to 3 different accidents.

Just think how bad it is in a state that rarely has snow. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Brigdh posted:

Just think how bad it is in a state that rarely has snow. :)

If it ever snows in Florida, I'm staying home.