Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

AllisonByProxy posted:

What's with the empty box on the side of the screen in 3D World where the collectibles are listed? You can see it in this screen here:

Your reserve powerup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Gutcruncher posted:

Your reserve powerup

Thanks. It was driving me nuts. I guess I just never happened to look at it while I had one. :doh:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

If you've been waiting for an extended battery, Toys R' US has the thing for you.

Only $25

I bought this last month, and get about 8 hours charge out of it. Plus, unlike the "official" battery, I don't have to unscrew anything, as this thing screws into the back of the pad. If you have a charging cradle, it will also sit in that, but it works as an adjustable stand on it's own perfectly. As you can see, it has a port for your charge cable, that charges both it and the gamepad. Now I can play SSBBrawl without having to look down in my lap

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 9, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

bushisms.txt posted:

If you've been waiting for an extended battery, Toys R' US has the thing for you.

Only $25

I bought this last month, and get about 8 hours charge out of it. Plus, unlike the "official" battery, I don't have to unscrew anything, as this thing screws into the back of the pad. If you have a charging cradle, it will also sit in that, but it works as an adjustable stand on it's own perfectly. As you can see, it has a port for your charge cable, that charges both it and the gamepad. Now I can play SSBBrawl without having to look down in my lap

So will this charge from the cradle that comes with the Pro bundle? I'm sick of having to charge the fucker every three hours.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AllisonByProxy posted:

What's with the empty box on the side of the screen in 3D World where the collectibles are listed? You can see it in this screen here:

I'm really glad you used this post as an excuse to post that awesome Miiverse picture. :allears:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bushisms.txt posted:

Only $25

That's pretty neat. My protective case around my Gamepad has a stand. That cost about $10. I hate looking at the screen when watching a movie or YouTube so it's nice to just spin it around.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

AllisonByProxy posted:

I am a bug is secretly Schmorky.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On Wii Fit U, is there a way of telling it I don't have a wiimote yet? In the personal trainer section it throws some games into the program, and if you hit B it takes you out of the whole thing.

I'm expecting mine in the next day or two, but I'm aware some games actually need two of the blasted things so I'll need to skip them until I pick up a second.

Even getting the game for free for buying a Wii Fit Meter, the amount of equipment needed adds up money wise! Lucky I was able to borrow a balance board from a friend.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

EL BROMANCE posted:

On Wii Fit U, is there a way of telling it I don't have a wiimote yet? In the personal trainer section it throws some games into the program, and if you hit B it takes you out of the whole thing.

I'm expecting mine in the next day or two, but I'm aware some games actually need two of the blasted things so I'll need to skip them until I pick up a second.

Even getting the game for free for buying a Wii Fit Meter, the amount of equipment needed adds up money wise! Lucky I was able to borrow a balance board from a friend.

You can go with My Routine instead, or in Personal Trainer, choose the Balance Board only option for when it's picking types of exercises. You will be locked out of the aerobic and balance games that use the gamepad though.

e: If the Nintendo shop is still doing it, you can get the refurbish ed Wiimote+ and Nunchuck for 20. So you van feasibly get access to all of Wii U for $80 (20 for the board, 20 for the meter, then 40 for the 2 Wiimotes and 1 nunchuck, with an extra nunchuck.)

pichupal fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 9, 2013

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Sockser posted:

So will this charge from the cradle that comes with the Pro bundle? I'm sick of having to charge the fucker every three hours.

If you look at the bottom there, it has the word 'Power' presumably meaning that the bottom docks the same as the gamepad does on its own. And if you're not the sort for that, then you can see the entry for the charger cable just on the left, to plug in from the side.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pichupal posted:

You can go with My Routine instead, or in Personal Trainer, choose the Balance Board only option for when it's picking types of exercises. You will be locked out of the aerobic and balance games that use the gamepad though.

e: If the Nintendo shop is still doing it, you can get the refurbish ed Wiimote+ and Nunchuck for 20. So you van feasibly get access to all of Wii U for $80 (20 for the board, 20 for the meter, then 40 for the 2 Wiimotes and 1 nunchuck, with an extra nunchuck.)

Thanks for that, I looked for a similar option but must've missed it. Hoping my Wiimote comes tomorrow.

Sadly Nintendo UK don't do refurbished hardware, I did check when the link went up. The meter over here is about $30 too, used to that kind of pricing! I paid $50 for Wii U Party in its shrink wrap off someone, for some reason the black controller version is cheaper here at the moment but this is a white one. Plan on getting another Motion Plus at some point, 2 originals and a couple of nunchucks as needed. Trying to hassle people who bought Wiis and don't use them anymore!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Details about DKC Tropical Freeze surfaced in a Game Informer issue:

http://nintendoeverything.com/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-details-3/

-6 islands (worlds)

-6/7 levels per islands (+ secret levels unlocked once you collect all the kong letters in each levels in a world same as DKCR, and also bosses of course)

-Single player: Controls DK only but side character add to his abilities, can switch characters through barrels (well duh!)

-Challenging gameplay

-World descriptions (spoilered in case people care):

W1: Lost Mangroves (rainforest, vine grabbing, zip-lining)

W2:Autumn Heights (Bavarian-like mountain, mine carts, hot-air balloons, giant owls, jagged cliff faces)

W3:Bright Savannah (tall grass, orange/brown colors, like an African safari, dodge brush fire and penguins with spears)

W4: World 4: Sea Breeze Cove (blue harbors, sandy inlets, lots of swimming, dodge electric seaweed and manage air supply)

W5: World 5: Juicy Jungle (tropical forest that produces a rare fruit, home to an elaborate processing plant, jump off jellies to reach new heights)

W6:World 6: DK Island (Donkey Kong’s tree house has been frosted over, has homages to levels from Donkey Kong Country Returns)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sockser posted:

Yes. It fits into that cradle and is it's own stand. The stand leg is even adjustable so you can put the screen at different angles.

Astro Nut posted:

If you look at the bottom there, it has the word 'Power' presumably meaning that the bottom docks the same as the gamepad does on its own. And if you're not the sort for that, then you can see the entry for the charger cable just on the left, to plug in from the side.
And it has it's own power button. It works as an actual extender, so you press the button and it charges the battery in the gamepad. But yes, you use the regular charge cable and it charges both the gamepad and the extender if you don't have the cradle.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 9, 2013

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Only $25
I placed a $20 Amazon order for one of these last month then walked into Gamestop and they were selling it for $11. First time I've had to cancel an Amazon order for cost-saving reasons. If anyone is interested in it definitely check there first. The stand is great and I've only had to use the charging feature once but it worked well.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Details about DKC Tropical Freeze surfaced in a Game Informer issue:

http://nintendoeverything.com/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-details-3/

-6 islands (worlds)

-6/7 levels per islands (+ secret levels unlocked once you collect all the kong letters in each levels in a world same as DKCR, and also bosses of course)

-Single player: Controls DK only but side character add to his abilities, can switch characters through barrels (well duh!)

-Challenging gameplay

-World descriptions (spoilered in case people care):

W1: Lost Mangroves (rainforest, vine grabbing, zip-lining)

W2:Autumn Heights (Bavarian-like mountain, mine carts, hot-air balloons, giant owls, jagged cliff faces)

W3:Bright Savannah (tall grass, orange/brown colors, like an African safari, dodge brush fire and penguins with spears)

W4: World 4: Sea Breeze Cove (blue harbors, sandy inlets, lots of swimming, dodge electric seaweed and manage air supply)

W5: World 5: Juicy Jungle (tropical forest that produces a rare fruit, home to an elaborate processing plant, jump off jellies to reach new heights)

W6:World 6: DK Island (Donkey Kong’s tree house has been frosted over, has homages to levels from Donkey Kong Country Returns)

Feel a bit disappointed that there are apparently only 6 worlds compared to the previous game's 8, with seemingly the same number of levels per world. Maybe they're keeping a couple under wraps? Otherwise it seems really odd that the game is 3/4 the length of its predecessor. All though I'm sure it will still be amazing so whatevs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

George Lazenby posted:

Feel a bit disappointed that there are apparently only 6 worlds compared to the previous game's 8, with seemingly the same number of levels per world. Maybe they're keeping a couple under wraps? Otherwise it seems really odd that the game is 3/4 the length of its predecessor. All though I'm sure it will still be amazing so whatevs.

Well hopefully they expanded the post game content (a new world like with DKC 3D).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Phantasium posted:

When you beat the final level, the game saves and restarts you right in front of the area where the pixies build the rocket. It's kind of hard to miss.

This is why I felt pretty stupid once I figured it out.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Mr. Blastaway fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 10, 2013

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Blastaway posted:

So I bought the Zelda WiiU bundle a week ago and completely forgot I had a code for a digital download of the Hyrule Historia. I doubt I'll every read it or enjoy it personally since I never cared about stories in video games so I figured I'd post the code. Please reply if you use it.

a036usft2vyjqgq1

drat, can't even try to use this since the store is still down for maintenance.

[edit]

drat, a smelly lurker took it. I really wanted that too.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 10, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
^^ Naw, I beat ya to it. :(

Miiverse is still the best thing to happen to video games.

Mr. Blastaway posted:

So I bought the Zelda WiiU bundle a week ago and completely forgot I had a code for a digital download of the Hyrule Historia. I doubt I'll every read it or enjoy it personally since I never cared about stories in video games so I figured I'd post the code. Please reply if you use it.

a036usft2vyjqgq1

I redeemed this, so thanks!

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 10, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Phantasium posted:

When you beat the final level, the game saves and restarts you right in front of the area where the pixies build the rocket. It's kind of hard to miss.

Alright, well I decided to check this out. So there is this pile of rocks at the beginning of world 1 with the pixies flying around it. It doesn't look like a rocket ship if I wasn't told it was a rocket ship. But if I approach it they turn it into a rocket ship.

Not incredibly obvious that I don't feel so bad for missing it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Astro7x posted:

Alright, well I decided to check this out. So there is this pile of rocks at the beginning of world 1 with the pixies flying around it. It doesn't look like a rocket ship if I wasn't told it was a rocket ship. But if I approach it they turn it into a rocket ship.

Not incredibly obvious that I don't feel so bad for missing it.

It's actually incredibly obvious

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Don't think this has been post yet, Best Buy has eShop cards for 20% off, and buy 1 get 2nd half off for some Nintendo Wii U and 3DS games. I think the deals go until the 14th.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
How close to your face are you supposed to be holding the Gamepad (when you're not, like, sitting upright on your bed/couch and have the pad resting on your lap) ? I got the console yesterday and messed around with it for a while, but I lay on my bed with the pad in my hands and every time I had to look down the screen was kind of close to my eyes. I felt some strain after doing that for a while but then I've been sleeping for like four hours for the past couple of nights so my eyes are probably irritated as it is. But this just got me thinking about this in general. I suppose it doesn't really matter how close you hold it?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Fabulous Knight posted:

How close to your face are you supposed to be holding the Gamepad (when you're not, like, sitting upright on your bed/couch and have the pad resting on your lap) ? I got the console yesterday and messed around with it for a while, but I lay on my bed with the pad in my hands and every time I had to look down the screen was kind of close to my eyes. I felt some strain after doing that for a while but then I've been sleeping for like four hours for the past couple of nights so my eyes are probably irritated as it is. But this just got me thinking about this in general. I suppose it doesn't really matter how close you hold it?

17 inches.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Are we still dumping on that guy for missing the thing in that Mario game?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Nintendo Store selling refurbished Wii Remote Plus'es with matching Nunchuks, jackets and wrist straps. All for $20.

Black

Blue

White

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 11, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Mine are in the mail. Quite happy.

Wii U sold 48,762 consoles in Japan last week, up from 28,518 the week prior. Pretty much every system got a holiday bump. Even the 360 sold 164 more consoles than the week before!

43,844 copies of Mario 3D World were sold, keeping it in the Top 10. Gran Turismo 6 topped the list, but the only other Sony game on the Top 10 was Lightning Returns at 10th. Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online released for both Wii and Wii U and both copies found the Top 10. The Wii version sold 117,432 copies to the Wii U's version selling 70,648.

Also just did the math and Lightning Returns sells in Japan for $75 US while the Dragon Quest X games are only $40 US. Interesting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Also just did the math and Lightning Returns sells in Japan for $75 US while the Dragon Quest X games are only $40 US. Interesting.

The "Square Tax" was a common thing with SquareEnix published DS games too until $39.99 became a more accepted price for handheld titles and I believe this is done on their major titles for any console in Japan so Lightnight Returns doesn't surprise me. Dragon Quest X only being $39.99 now doesn't surprise me either as it's a paid MMO that is very gradually sliding into the freemium direction. It actually did originally retail on the Wii for about $75 when it was new.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neo Rasa posted:

The "Square Tax" was a common thing with SquareEnix published DS games too until $39.99 became a more accepted price for handheld titles and I believe this is done on their major titles for any console in Japan so Lightnight Returns doesn't surprise me. Dragon Quest X only being $39.99 now doesn't surprise me either as it's a paid MMO that is very gradually sliding into the freemium direction. It actually did originally retail on the Wii for about $75 when it was new.

Ah, interesting.

I thought it was more proof that Japan isn't married to the $59.99 game concept that the industry has been hooked to since Sony came into the market.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I guess there's usually tax and stuff to consider, but I'd kill for the equivalent of sixty dollar games over here. Splinter Cell launched at fifty-six quid on the eShop, which translates to ninety dollars. :psyboom:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

jackhunter64 posted:

I guess there's usually tax and stuff to consider, but I'd kill for the equivalent of sixty dollar games over here. Splinter Cell launched at fifty-six quid on the eShop, which translates to ninety dollars. :psyboom:

No Tom Clancy game is worth that, and the wiiu version of splinter cell is a broken mess anyways.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
Very few games are worth that

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

dataisplural posted:

Very few games are worth that

Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger both cost over $100 :canada: when I was a kid. Definitely worth it.

Specifically on Chrono Trigger, my parents went bankrupt earlier in the year and I never knew. I thought my dad's car was just out for repairs and I wasn't getting an allowance anymore because they felt I was too old for it. Come Christmas time, I still circled like everything in the Sears catalog but the only thing I specifically wanted was Chrono Trigger. So my parents got me that plus went to Goodfellows to get me some other toys. I also got fruit in my stocking because that's what they used to get as poor kids. I didn't know that was their way of saying, "Times are tough right now" and I never acted like I wasn't happy with my Christmas haul because I got Chrono Trigger.

Don't know why I felt like telling that story here.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 11, 2013

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger both cost over $100 :canada: when I was a kid. Definitely worth it.

Specifically on Chrono Trigger, my parents went bankrupt earlier in the year and I never knew. I thought my dad's car was just out for repairs and I wasn't getting an allowance anymore because they felt I was too old for it. Come Christmas time, I still circled like everything in the Sears catalog but the only thing I specifically wanted was Chrono Trigger. So my parents got me that plus went to Goodfellows to get me some other toys. I also got fruit in my stocking because that's what they used to get as poor kids. I didn't know that was their way of saying, "Times are tough right now" and I never acted like I wasn't happy with my Christmas haul because I got Chrono Trigger.

Don't know why I felt like telling that story here.

My family just looked at the price tag, and said no.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jackhunter64 posted:

Seriously? Blacklist was £29,99 from day one on Steam which is under $50 USD. The UK actually got a much better deal than the US with it's $60 price point and the Eurozone's €49,99 which comes to about $68.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there a website out there that specifically reviews multi-platform games focusing on the differences between the different platforms? I'm not just talking about "OMG IT RUNS AT 29.3FPS NOT 30FPS :bahgawd:" (though if there is a significant graphical difference, I would hope they would talk about it), but also about if WiiU versions omit certain DLC or play modes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I know you didn't mean it this way, but every time someone mentions how expensive games used to be as a justification for current game prices I want to break out a boring power point presentation detailing the changes in the industry, the marginal costs, and the market that have occurred since the cartridge days that should be driving prices much lower (and technically are driving lower prices though game companies have their heads stuck in the sand and complain about the scale of used game sales).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a website out there that specifically reviews multi-platform games focusing on the differences between the different platforms? I'm not just talking about "OMG IT RUNS AT 29.3FPS NOT 30FPS :bahgawd:" (though if there is a significant graphical difference, I would hope they would talk about it), but also about if WiiU versions omit certain DLC or play modes.
Not a dedicated site in this case, but Eurogamer has a "Face-Off" feature that focuses on multiplatform comparisons: http://www.eurogamer.net/?type=face-off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Random Stranger posted:

I know you didn't mean it this way, but every time someone mentions how expensive games used to be as a justification for current game prices I want to break out a boring power point presentation detailing the changes in the industry, the marginal costs, and the market that have occurred since the cartridge days that should be driving prices much lower (and technically are driving lower prices though game companies have their heads stuck in the sand and complain about the scale of used game sales).

Cartridge costs are of course dropped but what about game production costs? How many $150M games were made in 1995?

I know there is far more to it. Nobody is really building games on the old Silicon Graphics computers and the like, but advertising costs are definitely up and development teams are for the most part up. How many companies had to have an orchestra 20 years ago?

I don't believe there should be a standard price at all. That said, I think companies that make RPGs for example are at a disadvantage because they are expected today to price their games at the same cost as a 12 hour single player mission FPS with multiplayer.

• Locked thread