Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

You silly people and your attachment to your characters. Although I suppose compulsively deleting them constantly and hardly ever getting to the point of even making new armor and weapons is its own special kind of madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

KoB posted:

Yeah but the speed of sound in starbound is pretty slow. :v:

Hey, they're alien worlds. Maybe the speed of sound works differently there. You don't know, you've never been there. :colbert:

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Considering how simple it is to edit the starting chest to give you anything you wanna start with, I'm surprised anyone cares at all about "losing" progres.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Switched.on posted:

Considering how simple it is to edit the starting chest to give you anything you wanna start with, I'm surprised anyone cares at all about "losing" progres.

Do not mention this in the official IRC room. The fan base takes great offense at any attempts to circumvent the almighty wipe. I know first hand from getting ganged up on by a ton of 14 year old fanboys.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arsonide posted:

Do not mention this in the official IRC room. The fan base takes great offense at any attempts to circumvent the almighty wipe. I know first hand from getting ganged up on by a ton of 14 year old fanboys.

Cheating in a beta is dishonorable.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

If you're impatient like me you can just look up the location of a TL10 sky pirate ship and get weapons from them.

My plan is to raid one of those ships and make it my house.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Switched.on posted:

For me its less about losing character progress and more about losing anything I might spend hours building.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
If ever there was a game that called for a remake of a popular video, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_f98qOGY0

I eagerly await some skillful group making a masterpiece with this tune.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What file do you edit to change the starting chest?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

My plan is to raid one of those ships and make it my house.

I hope they let you change your beamdown point so you can set up a base anywhere in the planet.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Zasze posted:

I hope they let you change your beamdown point so you can set up a base anywhere in the planet.

Having a placeable item that lets you beam down to wherever it's placed (even underground) would be amazing. Of course you should then be able to choose from a list where you spawn, default planet surface or at the item.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I don't really care about wiping my character since I'd only just made copper armour. I'll be pissed if my house gets wiped though, I just got over the big initial OCD hurdle and was finally at a point where I was happy with it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You really shouldn't be surprised if the worlds get wiped. If not in this update, it'll probably happen at some point during Stage 1 of Beta.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zasze posted:

Ty has confirmed some method of doing this is coming.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm cool with wipes, but someone explain how to add everything I need to get past the initial quest line to the starter chest so I don't have to redo that again.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I don't really care about wiping my character since I'd only just made copper armour. I'll be pissed if my house gets wiped though, I just got over the big initial OCD hurdle and was finally at a point where I was happy with it

I am pretty sure both character and universe are going to be wiped, because I can't see how you adjust ore distribution, among other things, without completely re-generating the universe to actually redistribute the ores and such.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Sounds about right...

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Maybe I'll just edit my house into the new world :colbert:

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Rhjamiz posted:

I am pretty sure both character and universe are going to be wiped, because I can't see how you adjust ore distribution, among other things, without completely re-generating the universe to actually redistribute the ores and such.

The ore distribution is from a single file that you can exit the game, change, go to a brand new planet and it will distribute the ore, then exit and change the file back to normal and the planet will keep the ore it generated, but the new planets will go back to normal. It does it on a per planet basis.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

You can't be serious. Of course the universe is going to be wiped.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You can always try putting all your poo poo on an Alpha planet, then making a backup of that world's file, and putting it back in the directory after the universe is wiped. The changes should still apply, though if the seeds change it could result in glitchiness.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'd like surface building prefabs that are basically like player characters' (migrant or refugee) except they're crashed ships and the occupants are most likely dead.

And the human crashed ships/victims should be far more numerous.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

fargom posted:

You can't be serious. Of course the universe is going to be wiped.
Somebody didn't get the memo.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Accidentally destroyed a stack of lockers on my ship and learned that dropped items despawn after 30s while I was trying to re-store all the crap that fell out of them. Also went onto multiplayer and someone beamed to my ship and murdered my doctor. "Oops I didn't know you could kill him." I decided doc must be avenged and threw bombs all over my ship until the perpetrator (and I) was dead, and the majority of ship destroyed.

oh well, yolo I hope there is a wipe today. :ohdear:

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Can this page and or info be put in the OP so people know what they are getting into with the different stages of beta?
http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/

quote:

Stage 1 - Progenitor
DO NOT take part in this stage if:

- Bugs infuriate you

- You don’t like spoilers

- You can’t stand losing your save

- You want the full Starbound ‘experience’ the first time you play.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I'm gonna recommend that anyone who got far into the beta before the wipe should modify their matter manipulators to have a radius of 4 and a speed of around .001. It really makes starting over so much less annoying when you can just instantly mine for ores. Also it's just the beta so it'll let you test out the new content faster anyways.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

And the human crashed ships/victims should be far more numerous.

And filled with Cute(?) Tentacle monsters that didn't make very good pets. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You know what I'm really gonna miss in the wipe?

Banana.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ShadowMar posted:

I'm gonna recommend that anyone who got far into the beta before the wipe should modify their matter manipulators to have a radius of 4 and a speed of around .001. It really makes starting over so much less annoying when you can just instantly mine for ores. Also it's just the beta so it'll let you test out the new content faster anyways.
How do you do this?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Genocyber posted:

You can always try putting all your poo poo on an Alpha planet, then making a backup of that world's file, and putting it back in the directory after the universe is wiped. The changes should still apply, though if the seeds change it could result in glitchiness.

This probably won't work at all, otherwise why would they wipe saves to begin with? Character/world wipes happen because of technical reasons surrounding save incompatibility.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

hubris.height posted:

The behavior of the molten core was very surprising to me, though it should not have been. Instead of being instant death upon touching it, it works like a quick-poison red water. I wonder if there are things that can be spawned in the core, like a temple or something, that are somehow protected from it that would justify exploring it further. I'm interested to do that. Are there any ways to protect yourself from inevitable death in the core of a world?

It's very slow going, but you can plop some blocks over core magma, then dig through them. Make yourself a 6 tile high man tunnel and dig your way around the planet if you feel like it. Weak blocks like dirt or snow(!) work good, but you need hundreds to go any appreciable distance.

Also, I don't know if this is common knowledge, but if you put solid blocks over core magma, you can 'reveal' blocks of ore and then dig them up. I guess the ore-generating seed goes down a bit past the 'everything is lava now' override line. If you see any precious golds at the lowest possible ground line, try putting some other solids below it. There's a fair chance that the vein goes further down.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Jackard posted:

Somebody didn't get the memo.

I literally spent most of last night working on it and then found out this morning about the upcoming wipe (I started playing before rushing off to check the SA thread, what a faux pas) so yeah your lovely attempt at sarcasm is actually spot on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Jackard posted:

How do you do this?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\items\tools

Edit beamaxe.beamaxe to have a fireTime of whatever (lower means it mines faster) and blockRadius/altBlockRadius of whatever you want (alt means the radius when you hold Shift).

So for anyone who's reached the TL 35+ worlds: what do you do? I feel like the "dungeons" are just way too hard. Even with the best armor, anything with a gun will destroy you, and anything with melee can one-shot you but the best craftable weapon takes a while to kill them. I assume the endgame is just unfinished/not tuned properly but if there's something I'm missing I'd like to know.

e: Also I know the weapons/armor/creatures are receiving a pretty big revamp tomorrow (also beta etc). So it's entirely possible that it's just not ready yet.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 9, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Are we expecting the update today?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Umberger posted:

So for anyone who's reached the TL 35+ worlds: what do you do? I feel like the "dungeons" are just way too hard. Even with the best armor, anything with a gun will destroy you, and anything with melee can one-shot you but the best craftable weapon takes a while to kill them. I assume the endgame is just unfinished/not tuned properly but if there's something I'm missing I'd like to know.

Nope, that's what happened to me too. I just started to experiment with musical instruments once I reached that point.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

peepsalot posted:

Accidentally destroyed a stack of lockers on my ship and learned that dropped items despawn after 30s while I was trying to re-store all the crap that fell out of them. Also went onto multiplayer and someone beamed to my ship and murdered my doctor. "Oops I didn't know you could kill him." I decided doc must be avenged and threw bombs all over my ship until the perpetrator (and I) was dead, and the majority of ship destroyed.

oh well, yolo I hope there is a wipe today. :ohdear:

I did the same thing and lost 1500+ fabric. And I thought I was set on bandages for life (until reset anyway). A 30 second timer is not enough when I've just accidentally destroyed 6+ chests with my awesome bone club thing that shoots more bones.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

voltron lion force posted:

Are we expecting the update today?

Tiy said either tonight or early tomorrow (british time)

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Are people putting different block-types as the background of their spaceship in these screenshots? How do you do that? Every time I try to right-click-add background tiles to my spaceship it doesn't do anything.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

FlocksOfMice posted:

Are people putting different block-types as the background of their spaceship in these screenshots? How do you do that? Every time I try to right-click-add background tiles to my spaceship it doesn't do anything.

That's because there's already a default background on the ship. Remove it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wouldn't mind this wipe so much except I knew about it ahead of time. If the patch had just come out out of the blue with a wipe I'd be fine with it, since I could just jump right in to new content and features. But having it looming over my head is different. I guess it's the knowing that bugs me. Ignorance is bliss.

Oh, who am I kidding? I can't stay away that long.

Kiggles posted:

Very cool. Likely too big a scope to be worth it during beta, but would definitely be cool to limit tiles by race, and open some more styles with schematics added to item lists or something. Still, very nice, thanks for sharing.
Might do this, actually, but it's still not clear where and how dropped/looted schematics are handled, or where we'd put them.

• Locked thread