Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

It's a little unwieldy to hold and read on your lap, but I thumbed through the book and I didn't notice any gutter loss. So it's technically readable.

I'd highly recommend taking a prone position on your couch/bed/floor with the book lying in front of you if you want any semblance of being comfortable while reading it.

Or else buy a sturdy lectern...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

It's a little unwieldy to hold and read on your lap, but I thumbed through the book and I didn't notice any gutter loss. So it's technically readable.

I'd highly recommend taking a prone position on your couch/bed/floor with the book lying in front of you if you want any semblance of being comfortable while reading it.

Or else buy a sturdy lectern...

Pillows work well.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
My girlfriend has a little laptop stand that holds at like a 45 degree angle that is perfect for laying in bed and reading omnis.
http://www.amazon.com/My-Ultimate-P...ds=laptop+stand
It looks a lot like this one but is a different brand or something.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Just FYI, Amazon's 30% off a book coupon BOOKDEAL is valid on preorders, so if anyone was planning on getting an omnibus or anything else from Amazon this might be a good time to order. Note that the maximum possible discount is $10. Expires Dec. 1.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Casyl posted:

Just FYI, Amazon's 30% off a book coupon BOOKDEAL is valid on preorders, so if anyone was planning on getting an omnibus or anything else from Amazon this might be a good time to order. Note that the maximum possible discount is $10. Expires Dec. 1.

Thank you! I didn't have anything in my Amazon wish list I was dying for right now, so I just preordered Fatale Vol. 4, which will be out in January.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is this what I think it is? Is Marvel finally publishing the Alan Moore Miracleman books? http://www.amazon.com/Miracleman-Book-The-Original-Writer/

I don't know why they wrote "the original writer" instead of Alan Moore, if that is who it is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
They're reprinting them in floppies starting January. Not sure how the collections will work.

And, no, Alan Moore's name isn't going to be on them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know why they wrote "the original writer" instead of Alan Moore, if that is who it is.

Moore loathes the Big Two and probably doesn't want his name associted with them if he can help it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The "original writer" thing is just until they find out if Moore will put a hex on them when they go to press.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I bet Morrison would jump at the opportunity to write Miracleman. Pretty sure it's part of his feud with Moore; I've heard that Morrison believes Moore cost him the chance to write Miracleman back in the 1980s because he personally disliked him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well Moore hand picked Gaiman to succeed him, I doubt Alan Moore ever even considered him for it. And if it would even slightly piss Moore off I doubt Marvel would go for it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I quite honestly didn't know that part; as far as I can tell, Morrison's side of the story is that the editors of Warrior asked him if he wanted to write Miracleman, he responded enthusiastically and started putting together his pitch, then heard back that Moore had said he didn't want Morrison writing the series after he left. Obviously, it now looks somewhat less tenable to me, but I guess neither version necessarily precludes the other even if Morrison is probably reading too much into things.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I had no idea the Darwyn Cooke Parker hardcovers were so drat classy looking. Ooh, baby!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Metal Loaf posted:

I quite honestly didn't know that part; as far as I can tell, Morrison's side of the story is that the editors of Warrior asked him if he wanted to write Miracleman, he responded enthusiastically and started putting together his pitch, then heard back that Moore had said he didn't want Morrison writing the series after he left. Obviously, it now looks somewhat less tenable to me, but I guess neither version necessarily precludes the other even if Morrison is probably reading too much into things.

Moore denies this happened at all and places the blame on Warrior editor Dez Skinn (the person who reportedly told Morrison "Alan says no"). It's covered briefly in Magic Words.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Shameless posted:

Moore denies this happened at all and places the blame on Warrior editor Dez Skinn (the person who reportedly told Morrison "Alan says no"). It's covered briefly in Magic Words.

With two wizards locked in a battle over decades, using spacetime itself as their chessboard, such seeming inconstancies are bound to occur. As mortals, it's best to ignore such things, as they cannot be properly comprehended without 4-dimensional consciousness.

(I hope this all ends with them meeting at a convention, getting into a shouting match, and then passionately making out.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got the Animal Omnibus. It doesn't want to open. Weird. Going to have to crack the spine some before trying to read it.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I just got my eight volume Marvel Cosmic run back from the book binders. They did a fantastic job.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Holy crap.

Inkslinger
May 23, 2001

DFu4ever posted:

I just got my eight volume Marvel Cosmic run back from the book binders. They did a fantastic job.

Wow. Those are beautiful.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

I got the Animal Omnibus. It doesn't want to open. Weird. Going to have to crack the spine some before trying to read it.

Are they still doing that poo poo where they just glue all the pages direct to the binding without grouping them? That drives me up the wall.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

DFu4ever posted:

Where did you have this done?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wish Marvel would actually publish books like that :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

Uh, they do? I have the same thing at home but in more volumes. The only things ommitted are Nova and GotG but they're fixing that!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean in that format, in a similar style. It's a spergy thing, but I hate trades and the visual inconsistencies that often occur in official releases. I want a collection of big, monotone, hardbound books like that. It'd be sweet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean in that format, in a similar style. It's a spergy thing, but I hate trades and the visual inconsistencies that often occur in official releases. I want a collection of big, monotone, hardbound books like that. It'd be sweet.

You do like that weirdo goon and throw away your dust jackets.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Flaggy posted:

Where did you have this done?

http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/ is their site. Takes about six or so weeks to get an order done, but I'm sure that time varies with how busy they are.

I got these books hand-sewn. Very little gutter loss and the things lay open very easily.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Beanpants posted:

Are they still doing that poo poo where they just glue all the pages direct to the binding without grouping them? That drives me up the wall.

I'll look when I get off work. I haven't opened it since I got it. Too much of a back log.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Hakkesshu posted:

You mean, like this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Beanpants posted:

They look grouped together, just to a really stiff piece.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Glenn Danzig posted:

You mean, like this?

No, not like that. The spines don't even line up, and there's no way of immediately knowing that War/Realm of Kings are related to Annihilation or which order they go in! Like I said, it's a spergy thing, but regular books do it, so I don't know why comics can't.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 10, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually a bit distracted by something I haven't noticed before; in the shelf below those books, is the "Marvel" banner on the Fall of the Mutants omnibus slightly bigger than those on the Mutant Massacre and Inferno hardcovers to either side, or is it just the angle of the shot or the position of the dust jacket?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm actually a bit distracted by something I haven't noticed before; in the shelf below those books, is the "Marvel" banner on the Fall of the Mutants omnibus slightly bigger than those on the Mutant Massacre and Inferno hardcovers to either side, or is it just the angle of the shot or the position of the dust jacket?

No, it definitely is. That's a dumb thing that happens too frequently also, along with the Marvel logo colours being inverted for no reason in the same series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's another one I've noticed; the third "Fantastic Four Ultimate Collection" trade (collecting Waid and Wieringo run) is slightly bigger width-wise than the other three, so when you have them all sitting on your shelf, it sticks out past the rest.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Here's another one I've noticed; the third "Fantastic Four Ultimate Collection" trade (collecting Waid and Wieringo run) is slightly bigger width-wise than the other three, so when you have them all sitting on your shelf, it sticks out past the rest.

I'll check mine when I get home but your copy might have just been cut wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

The OSHCs do not have this problem.

So nyah nyah I guess.

I recently purchased the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus and while it's a very nice, slick book holy HELL do the contents suck. My memories of this arc are definitely viewed through rose-tinted glasses.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

The OSHCs do not have this problem.

So nyah nyah I guess.

Bah! Humbug!

:(

Honestly, though, those were like the first I got when I started getting back into comics a couple of years ago. I didn't know poo poo about what the best collections were. In retrospect, it's kind of odd that they went with "ultimate collection" when they could've done "Fantstic Four Visionaries: Mark Waid" like they'd done for Byrne and Simonson (and, curiously enough, Pérez). I'll post some pictures later on to show what I mean.

Anyway, the second Byrne omnibus is out in a week. I pre-ordered it back in September (along with the second UXM omnbius that's coming out next Spring). Looking forward to that; hopefully I'll get it before Christmas.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's what I was talking about :

(My collection is a mess, by the way, and those aren't normally all sitting upright; more often than not they're all tucked in that corner of the shelf in rather an unruly stack).

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If your omnibus dressings not lining up is the worst poo poo going on in your life right now, I salute you.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

^burtle posted:

If your omnibus dressings not lining up is the worst poo poo going on in your life right now, I salute you.

Rolling my eyes at the apologist #firstworldproblems post there. It has nothing to do with his life and/or issues and totally to do with publishers paying attention to detail. This is problem the most annoying area since 99% of the time it is on the shelf and something as simple as keeping a logo consistent seems to be a major chore for Marvel/DC. I will give kudos to DC though for keeping their Archive spines consistent even with the multiple logo changes. It is a thing of beauty to see the full run of my shelf all matching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012
Hey, does anybody know what the deal is with Godland Celestial Edition Volume 1? It seems like its hard to find and pretty pricey. Was it a short print run? Volume 2 seems readily available, but I'd rather not buy it without Volume 1.