Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

afflictionwisp posted:

And yet you have no software deployment platform? I question your employer's priorities.

We're using Altiris right now. Unlicensed. Don't even get me started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Loose Ifer posted:

Until i show up at their desk and then I'm the IT savior.

Until six months pass and something unrelated breaks and then you're the rear end in a top hat who broke their computer. Or possibly the rear end in a top hat who "still hasn't fixed the problem I asked about six months ago."

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Loose Ifer posted:

We're using Altiris right now. Unlicensed. Don't even get me started.

I dunno. Pirated software seems like it might be a PCI violation. I'd contemplate reporting it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Priority 1 filed via internal chat: My internet is down!
Actual issue, as discovered by helpdesk: Spotify can't connect.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

frogbert posted:

Is that a 30cm cable between two active devices I see?

You say this like it's a bad thing? I've been cabling my patch panel to switches in this method for a long time; am I missing something critical about this practice?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've never seen any minimum length restrictions on a switched ethernet network.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I have been told 1m minimum between devices, but I can't see anything official about it for Cat5/6. Only for fibre and coax.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
"This error is happening when people do x, y, z, but sometimes it happens when they do A and B or A or B, and it mostly happens at night except when it happens during the day, and it happens every day except when it only happens on weekends"

Oh ok, let me get right on that. Is it affecting production? Of course it is how silly of me to ask.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well at least they tried, sort of.

I got an email today sent as a reply to an automated email welcoming someone to a phone system, giving them details such as voicemail PIN, desktop client instructions, how to transfer calls etc. And the email just said "doesnt work".

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had a meeting with a department head and 2 other IT staff to discuss a problem he's having. Resolution ended up being "you need to specifically figure out what's not working" instead of him just having a feeling something's not working right.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Varkk posted:

I have been told 1m minimum between devices, but I can't see anything official about it for Cat5/6. Only for fibre and coax.

I've also heard of the 1m/3ft minimum, but I've also never seen a short cable cause an issue just because it was short.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

I had a meeting with a department head and 2 other IT staff to discuss a problem he's having. Resolution ended up being "you need to specifically figure out what's not working" instead of him just having a feeling something's not working right.

true leaders follow their gut, not some dorky thing like facts or logic. Maybe someday you'll understand that and can move up in this organization.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Hmmm, your custom SharePoint site is running slow for some users. What's that, they are using IE8? Let me file that in the not my problem category. Sorry if your business unit can't get off of older versions of IE and Office, take it up with them.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

true leaders follow their gut, not some dorky thing like facts or logic. Maybe someday you'll understand that and can move up in this organization.

This explains why "it's moving slow" = "IT'S A VIRUS! I'VE BEEN HACKED BY THE CHINESE!"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in.

"We are extending our hours from 8am - 5pm to 6am-6pm. This is starting tomorrow, shift changes will be posted shortly"

Luckily this wont affect me, the client I support has specific hours I need to be here for. I feel sorry for the "Surprise, 6am starting tomorrow" guys.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in.

"We are extending our hours from 8am - 5pm to 6am-6pm. This is starting tomorrow, shift changes will be posted shortly"

Luckily this wont affect me, the client I support has specific hours I need to be here for. I feel sorry for the "Surprise, 6am starting tomorrow" guys.

I am starting to think you are working in some sort of Stanford-esque psychology experiment.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

KennyTheFish posted:

I am starting to think you are working in some sort of Stanford-esque psychology experiment.

The green fever begins!

This all just reaffirms that blacksword just needs to YOTJ as soon as humanly possible.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in.

Our sysadmin team already has to babysit our monitoring system from 9AM to midnight seven days a week. Today our boss mentioned that management wants to have someone actively monitoring things 24/7. He's trying to convince them to just hire some drat NOC people already, but I'm not sure they're going to bite, which means it'll probably end up in our laps. There's about ten people on our team, but everyone has different roles and there isn't much overlap, so whatever monitoring hours they stick us with will be in addition to our normal ~45 hours a week of actual work just like they are now, I'm sure, except they'll have to have at least two people doing it every week, so we'll end up on monitoring and have no time off at all for a week almost every month, and have to shift our sleep schedules around all the drat time in the process. :(

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
drat, a co-worker has found another job and is leaving in two weeks. The lovely thing about it is that I just got him up to speed on things and he's willing to actually help with doing the annoying stuff. Now I've got one guy who just started last week and as soon as they can find the right candidate they'll be replacing the outgoing co-worker. Even busting rear end and throwing the new guy into the deep end is not going to do much to offset the workload - it takes at least a couple months to get into a groove and figure some of the poo poo out.

Feeling a little nervous since we just took on new responsibilities, but it's also pretty exciting. I'll let you know in a couple months if I feel the same.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

dennyk posted:

Our sysadmin team already has to babysit our monitoring system from 9AM to midnight seven days a week. Today our boss mentioned that management wants to have someone actively monitoring things 24/7. He's trying to convince them to just hire some drat NOC people already, but I'm not sure they're going to bite, which means it'll probably end up in our laps. There's about ten people on our team, but everyone has different roles and there isn't much overlap, so whatever monitoring hours they stick us with will be in addition to our normal ~45 hours a week of actual work just like they are now, I'm sure, except they'll have to have at least two people doing it every week, so we'll end up on monitoring and have no time off at all for a week almost every month, and have to shift our sleep schedules around all the drat time in the process. :(

I used to do this for a startup and it was the worst goddam thing. Expect people to either jump ship as soon as it starts, or deal with it for a few months to a year or so and then jump ship. It's amazing how miserable a rotating shift can make someone.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

hihifellow posted:

I used to do this for a startup and it was the worst goddam thing. Expect people to either jump ship as soon as it starts, or deal with it for a few months to a year or so and then jump ship. It's amazing how miserable a rotating shift can make someone.

Not to mention that a rotating sleep schedule can take years off your life.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

frogbert posted:

Is that a 30cm cable between two active devices I see?

Varkk posted:

madsushi posted:

I've also heard of the 1m/3ft minimum, but I've also never seen a short cable cause an issue just because it was short.

It is a 30cm cable. Like these guys I had heard of the 1m rule, but figured I'd try it with a short cable given that if problems occurred I could swap it out for a longer one easily given that it now was nice and tidy! :D

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

dennyk posted:

We're global, so our 3 shifts and actual coverage required is 24/7. However, they went from 6 employees -> 4 due to downsizing, and that leaves us with 2 people on third shift. Guess how coverage the rest of the time is going? It also wouldn't be as big a deal if the individuals in question weren't basically computer retarded to the point of a+ certification being likely above their skill level. Guess how their alerting is going? I'm not responsible for our NOC folks myself, but sheesh.

On the flip side, company IT party along with gift giving yesterday required that people either did something embarrassing, a trick, or a shot in order to get gifts. We had:
1 woman do the splits who managed not to rip her pants in the process
enough people choose to do shots instead of something embarrassing to earn a gift that we ran out of shots
1 person squat the CIO (on their shoulders)
1 person do a pec dance (mostly to the whooping of older women)
At least 5 people trying to juggle drinking glasses while miraculously not breaking them
1 person do thirty pushups with a hoorah + telling of a bad joke to get a $300 wireless 2.1 soundbar+sub speaker system. (this was me, winning best & biggest prize and high fiving the CIO :3: ) - it's amusing how many people offered to "help" me take it to my car.

However, guess what my wife said when I showed her the photo of the box? First: "Oh awesome, we totally needed one of these" (we did). Followed by her saying: :frogdowns: "I would love this for music in the kitchen." followed by bitching+anger about more cables when I got home, which was only much later apologized for. :negative: I actually like my company though, all things considered. There's even an actual all employee thing coming up. I get basically free reign to do what I want. Is this what stockholm syndrome is like?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 10, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Holy poo poo, a user just called me from home and put me on with their cable installer because they couldn't get wifi working on their work laptop.

Two minutes later someone else wanders into my office and then proceeds to blather on to my coworker about getting DSL installed at home while standing 4ft away from me and reeking of cigarettes.

Also since day 1 in this building the HVAC has been all sorts of hosed up. They've not resolved it, and now that it's 15F outside, it's freezing in my office.

I've barely been in for 30min. Annual review is in <1 hr, I might not make it before I strangle someone.

:rant:

geera
May 20, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Holy poo poo, a user just called me from home and put me on with their cable installer because they couldn't get wifi working on their work laptop.

Two minutes later someone else wanders into my office and then proceeds to blather on to my coworker about getting DSL installed at home while standing 4ft away from me and reeking of cigarettes.

Also since day 1 in this building the HVAC has been all sorts of hosed up. They've not resolved it, and now that it's 15F outside, it's freezing in my office.

I've barely been in for 30min. Annual review is in <1 hr, I might not make it before I strangle someone.

:rant:
The best is when they walk up to you and start the conversation with "I have a question for you -- don't worry, it's not work related..." and then they go on about how messed up their home network is and want to know how to fix it. How they think prefacing a home tech support question with "it's not work related" is supposed to make me think "oh, okay then, proceed!" is beyond me. I'd rather it be work related.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Jadus posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing? I've been cabling my patch panel to switches in this method for a long time; am I missing something critical about this practice?

The 1 metre limit doesn't apply for patch panel to switches as it's between devices only, therefore the distance is 30cm + however far away the wall socket it + however long the patch cable at the other end is.

Your usage is exactly why 30cm patch cables exist, even though connecting two devices together with one is out of spec.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in.

"Phew, thank goodness that when you guys hired me, you put 8am-5pm in my contr--"

Wait, this is blackswordca. Of course they never had a contract. Nevermind.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh god damnit. A guy here was let go and in his laptop bag was a notebook hard drive. I was asked to hook it up to see if it was anything we needed.

It was a bunch of naked pics of the guy we let go :barf:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"I'm having trouble with Office. WinDOZE amirite? LOLOLOL"

Why would anyone think this makes me want to solve their problem any faster? Why would anybody assume that I automatically blame Microsoft or Apple?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Lum posted:

The 1 metre limit doesn't apply for patch panel to switches as it's between devices only, therefore the distance is 30cm + however far away the wall socket it + however long the patch cable at the other end is.

Your usage is exactly why 30cm patch cables exist, even though connecting two devices together with one is out of spec.

So my custom-built 2 inch cable to connect stacked switches is out of spec? ... whoops.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
User wants a laptop.
User wants a laptop from a vendor we don't support running an OS we don't support.
We agree that he can have it as long as he doesn't ask us for any help. As far as we're concerned it's not a computer.
Laptop arrives today, he picks it up.
And I probably don't have to finish the rest of the story. "I want Debian 7.2, I want Matlab installed, I want root access, I want a pony."

Yeah, good luck with any of that.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

ElGroucho posted:

"I'm having trouble with Office. WinDOZE amirite? LOLOLOL"

Why would anyone think this makes me want to solve their problem any faster? Why would anybody assume that I automatically blame Microsoft or Apple?

I don't think this is too bad - they're just trying to empathise with you. To use the good old car analogy, it's like taking your broken car to the mechanic and saying "yeah, fan belt's gone again. Skodas, am I right?".

Just one human trying to make conversation with another human.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

rolleyes posted:

I don't think this is too bad - they're just trying to empathise with you. To use the good old car analogy, it's like taking your broken car to the mechanic and saying "yeah, fan belt's gone again. Skodas, am I right?".

Just one human trying to make conversation with another human.

Well it's usually more like taking your broken car to the mechanic and being all "it's running like crap and making funny noises LOL skodas amirite" and the actual problem is:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lum posted:

Well it's usually more like taking your broken car to the mechanic and being all "it's running like crap and making funny noises LOL skodas amirite" and the actual problem is:

No trouble found. Engine runs just fine.

Escalated to Level 3.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Renegret posted:

No trouble found. Engine runs just fine.

Escalated to Level 3.

Problem is obvious. Change battery and stop escalating to us!!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

User wants a laptop.
User wants a laptop from a vendor we don't support running an OS we don't support.
We agree that he can have it as long as he doesn't ask us for any help. As far as we're concerned it's not a computer.
Laptop arrives today, he picks it up.
And I probably don't have to finish the rest of the story. "I want Debian 7.2, I want Matlab installed, I want root access, I want a pony."

Yeah, good luck with any of that.

I want to believe that you guys aren't going to do poo poo for him, because we would probably end up folding like a napkin and doing all that nonsense for him.

There's got to be justice somewhere.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Today I got the go ahead to start tidying the data cabs on my companies new site.

It is now in colour coded pristine goodness... Shame I can't have a camera on site.

Hey ho, only about 35 more to do...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ElGroucho posted:

I want to believe that you guys aren't going to do poo poo for him, because we would probably end up folding like a napkin and doing all that nonsense for him.

There's got to be justice somewhere.

There probably won't be. It was agreed to "in secret" between the user and my boss. My boss has no understanding of the value of time, so he won't see it as costing us anything to help him out.

It's come up a bunch of times and I've tried to explain it as simply as I can, If I'm doing pain in the rear end thing then that's less time to do other more valuable things, but he just don't grok it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So 18 emails came in,

Looks like the account lead has decided to start micromanaging my time now.. joy..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

So 18 emails came in,

Looks like the account lead has decided to start micromanaging my time now.. joy..

When you finally give notice that you're leaving (after securing a new job), start the letter with "It has become painfully obvious to me that you are trying to get me to quit".

Also, I normally wouldn't, but in your case I'd recommend lottery tickets as a viable career option.

• Locked thread