Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!

veekie posted:

Funny thing was that all the old-timers sperg a hell of a lot over their unit's backstory and how canonical it is. The great Gunpla discovery is that you can just do whatever the hell you feel like. Satellite Cannon needs the moon to charge? Not if your headcanon goes around that!

Definitely need more Bearguy fun. What's next I wonder, bring in the Beam Ribbon from Nobel Gundam for it's giant ribbon?

I enjoy that this follows the discussion in the previous couple episodes about the manipulation of the Plavsky Particle. If you can build your Gunpla to manipulate the particles correctly, you can do whatever the hell you want, such as firing a Satellite Cannon minus moon charge. It's kind of an obvious thing when you think about it, but at the same time works as a fun poke at the people too rooted in base canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Episode 10 here for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0izJERZkVRg

Looks like Aila is indeed being set up as a love interest for Reiji. Given their interactions in this episode, I can't say I object.

Also, Tatsuya really should have invested in a more concealing brand of sunglasses.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like Aila is indeed being set up as a love interest for Reiji. Given their interactions in this episode, I can't say I object.

Also, Tatsuya really should have invested in a more concealing brand of sunglasses.

I absolutely love the Thai guy. Whenever they show everyone else freaking out over some unexpected new development, the Thai dude is like "gently caress YEAH THAT'S AWESOME!"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha another great episode. Everyone being disillusioned by Fellini was hilarious. Mao not recognizing Kirara and the warped music when it happens. Aila seems to be a fun character and I hope she gets more Reiji interactions

Also Hooooooly poo poo the Star Build Strike is loving amazing. Sei- "gently caress canon, I'm giving my mech a Beam absorbing shield that charges up a custom Wings of Light + Moonlight Butterfly system :allears:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 9, 2013

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

There's a lot of neat stuff going on in this episode, but my favorite thing about this series is definitely its willingness to just be a stupid show about robots and fighting and explicitly take a "Gundam's just a show, have fun with it" approach. It doesn't take itself seriously, and it reflects that in its approach to canon.

Also, it has great faces.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
A new episode of Gundam Build Fighters!

:swoon:

Is someone keeping track of all the mobile suits that got featured so far? Especially as some of them were "blink and you'll miss it" cameos.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like how Aila fought in an all-villain group and wasted them all effortlessly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha, thier crazy Wings of Light system totally looked like a beam cape when it first started up.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There was a Throne Zwei in there so the whole "only s1 of 00" thing seems to be true.

These new abilities are cool, but I hope they don't let go of the awesome traditional weaponry usage.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

I like how Aila fought in an all-villain group and wasted them all effortlessly.

They've gone out of their way to not show any actual combat with Aila so far. All we've seen is her blowing poo poo up and nobody knowing how exactly because its too drat fast. A match with one of the main cast is either going to be another shutout or amazing :pcgaming:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh yeah, definitely loved the Aila and Reiji interactions. Their fight over food had me in stitches.

So this episode completely won me over on the Star Build Strike. All I'd seen was the high grade, but seeing it in action was just fun.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got to admit, the game designer part of me sees this and thinks Gunpla Battles are crazy broken, how does one achieve the sort of poo poo they get to pull off there? It does seem to amount to magic protagonist advantage. I must make clear this is not really a criticism of the show.

Zedd posted:

There was a Throne Zwei in there so the whole "only s1 of 00" thing seems to be true.

And a fine choice it is, superb HG kit if you ask me. What was the red Gundam with that group, beside The O?

Speaking of, I think the woman in Sei and Reiji battle was in a Ciqueroga. As with Turn X, I hope this show is effectively promising an HG kit for it. But each time something like Cobra Gundam or that lance one out F91 show up I have to think it's a little less likely. Abigor looks cool too.

Does Rainer's Gelgoog, with the booster skirt, exist in continuity with a kit, or is that to be taken as his own mods?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got to admit, the game designer part of me sees this and thinks Gunpla Battles are crazy broken, how does one achieve the sort of poo poo they get to pull off there? It does seem to amount to magic protagonist advantage. I must make clear this is not really a criticism of the show.

And a fine choice it is, superb HG kit if you ask me. What was the red Gundam with that group, beside The O?

Speaking of, I think the woman in Sei and Reiji battle was in a Ciqueroga. As with Turn X, I hope this show is effectively promising an HG kit for it. But each time something like Cobra Gundam or that lance one out F91 show up I have to think it's a little less likely. Abigor looks cool too.

Does Rainer's Gelgoog, with the booster skirt, exist in continuity with a kit, or is that to be taken as his own mods?

That was the Gundam Visirgo from X if I recall correctly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh my god it has a Moonlight Butterfly I already love the new suit. :allears:

So many cameos, best episode, I love this show, I feel like I say this every week.

EDIT: Got to admit, when Sei went "gently caress canon" last week I kind of expected a bit more than just recreating the Stargazer's abilities. But I guess that's what the other two modes are for!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 9, 2013

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

That was the Gundam Visirgo from X if I recall correctly.
Yes, Gundam Virsago.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

When I first heard about this show I expected it to be pretty silly but have fun mech fights. It definitely has those two things in spades, but I am really surprised much I'm enjoying the characters in this show.

Felini immediately hitting on Kirara and then blowing it by getting smashed and nerding about gundam was hilarious. Also him starting the first day of the world tournament hungover was great.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 9, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

When I first heard about this show I expected it to be pretty silly but have fun mech fights. It definitely has those two things in spades, but I am really surprised as to how much I'm enjoying the characters in this show.

Felini immediately hitting on Kirara and then blowing it by getting smashed and nerding about gundam was hilarious. Also him starting the first day of the world tournament hungover was great.

It seems that Fellini becomes a bigger goon every episode.

Speaking of the return of Kirara/Mihoshi, one thing I liked was the throwaway line showing Reiji's continued respect for her. I think this is why I wasn't quite as upset as I probably should have been about the ghastly, misogynistic 'fake geek girl' angle they did with Episode 4 - the characters themselves didn't really judge her, and Reiji, at least, honestly seems to like her for it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

THE LEGS ARE JUST FOR SHOW.

It's a real shame these information screens go by so fast. There's a lot of cool details in them, like how in the last tournament Fellini and Greco had like a 30 minute "first to get hit loses" tiebreaker match.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha is this a running joke with sunrise/bandai? First season of valvrave also had some people say something similar.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Haha is this a running joke with sunrise/bandai? First season of valvrave also had some people say something similar.

It's a mobile suit gundam thing.

Chars final mobile suit in the original series was the zeong, which launched without legs. When he commented on it, it was rightly pointed out that in space the legs are just for show anyways.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Says the man partly famous for kicking people with his mobile suit's legs.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

How the hell does this show stay so amazing like this?! I keep thinking "Goddamn the tournament's going to be a step down from these preparation episodes" then I see drunk Fellini geeking out about 08th MS Team and my expectations get surpassed every drat time!
Finally time for the Meteor Hopper to shine next episode!

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 9, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Glad to see that Aila rules. I figured they weren't just gonna have her be some dumb cryptic girl, and now that she actually had the screen time to do more than that it's good to see my hunch was correct.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So is the overall message of the series "gently caress canon, have fun"?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Azubah posted:

Yes. Wing losing to Gyan, Justice losing to a Zaku, DEVIL GUNDAM losing to a Jegan - it's all in the heart of the Gunpla. :v:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Azubah posted:

A similar message of "Relax and try some new things for once" would make perfect sense in the context of Gundam as a franchise, considering its current state.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Azubah posted:

Actually it's "BUY GUNPLA NOW". :v:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Fred is on posted:

A similar message of "Relax and try some new things for once" would make perfect sense in the context of Gundam as a franchise, considering its current state.

Makes sense to me and honestly a "true" Gundam series that takes this approach would be wonderful. Until Sunrise gets their heads out of their collective asses this show is the best we're going to get and so far I'm okay with that.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
This show is my favorite show in a long while. Everything about it is amazing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Artum posted:

Says the man partly famous for kicking people with his mobile suit's legs.

He didn't say it, a Zeon engineer did.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Which is really weird in universe because isn't having limbs what makes mobile suits so good in space? Something about it helps them control themselves a lot better then a space jet would.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's what makes them all-purpose. The Zeong just existed to spam poo poo with beams in space. If it was going to walk on anything or land on objects it would've mattered more, but no, its fingers were beam cannons. It was more like a mobile armor than a mobile suit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
No, limbs also help with the AMBAC system, letting you adjust weight distribution through rearranging your body to provide finer control in zero-G. This is how the big fins called 'binders' started showing up, acting as extra AMBAC 'limbs' to enhance manoeuvrability.

The Zeong just compensated with a shitload of thrusters.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
AMBAC does that and cuts down on fuel consumption, which doesn't really matter when you're a nuclear juggernaut

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

No, limbs also help with the AMBAC system, letting you adjust weight distribution through rearranging your body to provide finer control in zero-G. This is how the big fins called 'binders' started showing up, acting as extra AMBAC 'limbs' to enhance manoeuvrability.

The Zeong just compensated with a shitload of thrusters.

Limbs are also really useful when it comes to colonies. A 'jet' in space is useful for combat there, but has to be massively retooled in many respects as soon as it enters a colony. By contrast a mobile suit just sort of lands and gets on with its day of kicking rear end and orphaning children.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I was very dissapointed when the MG Jesta went back up in price. Between it and the cannon those are my favorite grunt suits.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Caros posted:

Limbs are also really useful when it comes to colonies. A 'jet' in space is useful for combat there, but has to be massively retooled in many respects as soon as it enters a colony. By contrast a mobile suit just sort of lands and gets on with its day of kicking rear end and orphaning children.

Yeah. In the novels they actually address the AMBAC system and how mobile suits are actually pretty useful in space and in space colonies, but are woefully impractical on earth. Well, that and they invented Minovsky particles to kill radar and guided missiles so close combat in space makes sense instead of just shooting people with lasers from a million miles away.

In a zero-g environment (and underwater, too!), vehicles that have hands and are able to grab things make a lot of sense. They have legs so they can work in both space and inside colonies. While fighter planes would normally tear a big lumbering robot to shreds, it's hard to fly them within a colony. It's hard enough flying a plane when the ground is simply below you. In an O'Neil cylinder, the ground is all around you at every angle.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

TARDISman posted:

How the hell does this show stay so amazing like this?! I keep thinking "Goddamn the tournament's going to be a step down from these preparation episodes" then I see drunk Fellini geeking out about 08th MS Team and my expectations get surpassed every drat time!
Finally time for the Meteor Hopper to shine next episode!

To be fair that new 8th MS Team special did have sweet as hell animation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

I absolutely love the Thai guy. Whenever they show everyone else freaking out over some unexpected new development, the Thai dude is like "gently caress YEAH THAT'S AWESOME!"

I liked it too, but I loved that Mao just looks happy. Not even excited to battle Sei's new machine happy, just happy because the new unit Sei created is just that cool to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I loved how it's simultaneously reminiscent of the Wings of Light, Moonlight Butterfly, and Hyper Mode halo. It really is every Gundam's back energy gimmick all at once.

• Locked thread