Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

NihilCredo posted:

Ok so the "AI will always honour betrothal" in the beta patch is currently a HUGE exploit since on marriage you can switch from regular to matrilineal (or viceversa) and they will ALWAYS accept.

I've posted about it on the forums and hopefully it will be fixed before release, but in the meanwhile enjoy doing some ridiculously easy marriage conquests.

I will never update past this patch :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wonder if it'll be possible to do matri marriages as a republic now?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Yar The Pirate posted:

So I've got a question about how to propagate your family throughout other realms other than inviting claimants to court and pressing the claim to get your heir on the throne later. I'm mainly interesting in seeing my family working with other countries rather than leading them. Say, being a duke or count in another realm or being a part of their council. It's mainly for roleplaying reasons since I think it would be cool as hell to see a distant cousin start a civil war halfway across Europe or giving the HRE trouble as a member duke. How would I go about putting my family members inside of a country and seeing them work up while still using the dynasty name? I get that I can marry them off to someone but it's always on the condition any children are not of my dynasty. I assume it somehow involves getting the desired person to go reside in someone else's court rather than mine?

I remember playing on tutorial island and marrying off some family member or another (I don't remember the details unfortunately), but I do remember seeing Iberia becoming a huge mess of tyranny wars and succession crises and clicking on some of the participants only to see Ua Brian as the main instigator after a generation or so. After a while one of them just happened to grab the throne of Galicia. I'd like to replicate that on some level even though it may not result in my family turning into the Hapsburg's.

If you marry off male members of your family they should accept a normal marriage where the children will be your dynasty. That means you would need to find unmarried female countesses, duchesses, queens, etc. which is kind of rare.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 9, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Torrannor posted:

And yet the national flag is a white cross on a blue field, when I think back to Braveheart (sorry!) i remember the blue paint for the Scottish warriors; and in every game in which I could play Scotland (Medieval and Empire Total War), they were blue. It just really bugs me and I don't know why it was changed.

By the logic of the national flags, the Confederate States of America should be red in these games instead of grey, braveheart wasn't accurate, and while Scotland was blue in Total War, it's yellow in Europa Universallis 3 and 4. I mean, if it bugs you, fair enough, you can choose what irritates you, but you asked why they'd change it, and the answer is because yellow is the most correct colour for the period. v:shobon:v

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Excellent. Especially the "Will always accept matrilineal marriage" part. Was infuriating to set up a betrothal where both sides are cool and then the AI goes "Naaaa, screw you!" a few years later.
I'm personally not a fan of it. To exploitative to just arrange a matrilineal betrothal and then stab everyone ahead in the line of succession.

e;

PleasingFungus posted:

Honestly, I wish they'd kept the old behavior, but just made it so that the AI would actually break betrothals when circumstances had changed & they were no longer willing to honor the original terms. That would make them seem a bit smarter, to me.
This basically.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Reveilled posted:

By the logic of the national flags, the Confederate States of America should be red in these games instead of grey, braveheart wasn't accurate, and while Scotland was blue in Total War, it's yellow in Europa Universallis 3 and 4. I mean, if it bugs you, fair enough, you can choose what irritates you, but you asked why they'd change it, and the answer is because yellow is the most correct colour for the period. v:shobon:v

The modern (blue) flag came into being within the time period of the game, so you cannot say that it is the correct colour for the period.

But of course if it were only the colour of Scotland I could mod it and be satisfied, other issues bug me much more: Limited demesne, strange limitations on conquests (the Muslims went from non-existent to ruling the biggest empire to that date on Earth, the fifth biggest empire in history in about 300 years, and you would be hard pressed to duplicate that in CK2+), the new map and a few other things. But the changing of the Scottish colour really really irritated me, so I had to mention it.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Torrannor posted:

the fifth biggest empire in history in about 300 years, and you would be hard pressed to duplicate that in CK2+)

Isn't this what happens in just about every single game no matter who you start as?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Does the upcoming patch also fix adventurer levies? Because my Komnenian empress was just sidelined by her German Waldensian cousin, who managed to scrape together an army larger than the Byzantine Empire has. And while I was fighting the Turks (I thought the adventurer event just fizzled off, but turns out the delay was him walking to Serbia :doh:)

And after I earned 30 Tyranny for banishing my daughter's illicit lover because somebody was too impatient to wait for the screen to load up and show the tyranny penalty for banishing courtiers :downs:.

At least it had the happy ending of me winning, imprisoning my cousin, and taking all his money for no Tyranny whatsoever. But this will be my last Byzantine game, as they always just end up involving waiting for my peace deals with Rum to end because I am too much of a purist to try to do something fun but ahistorical, like re-establishing the Roman Empire.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I prefer blue for Scotland, but seriously don't use Braveheart as an example of anything! Especially the face paint, nobody in Scotland wore face paint of any colour in this time period. And the primae noctis, and the, well I could go on for some time.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Torrannor posted:

The modern (blue) flag came into being within the time period of the game, so you cannot say that it is the correct colour for the period.

That's not really true, the white cross of St Andrew came into being within the time period of the game, and though there exist records of the cross being placed on a blue background, there are also records of red and black backgrounds in this period, as well as most contemporary references to the saltire being an emphasis on the white cross, usually with no mention at all of any requirement for the color of the field. The white cross was a scottish symbol, but not the modern flag, not in the middle ages.

Like I say, if it irritates you then whatever, but yellow really is the correct color for the time period. Scots soldiers had a requirement for having a white saltire on their battle attire, no requirement for field colour, while the King himself, the leader and embodiment of the Kingdom of Scotland would have rode into battle wearing a big yellow tabard (with red lion rampant) on a horse wearing a bright yellow caparison. Blue as a color for scotland is a later thing.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 9, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marktheando posted:

Yeah I prefer blue for Scotland, but seriously don't use Braveheart as an example of anything! Especially the face paint, nobody in Scotland wore face paint of any colour in this time period. And the primae noctis, and the, well I could go on for some time.

I did not mean it as a serious argument, in fact I never saw the film in it's entirety.

Nosfereefer posted:

Isn't this what happens in just about every single game no matter who you start as?

I normally don't expand too much beyond my de jure empire, except when I think it fits in a narrative, like uniting all Karling lands, creating the great Scandinavia-Britannia Norse Empire, recreating the Roman Empire or uniting the faithful under the rightful caliphate.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
If we're going to base things on what's accurate to the time period I doubt the entire concept of coloring in regions on a map with colors representing the kingdoms that have control over that region is at all accurate to begin with, it's just a gameplay convention. Might as well use random colors, it'd make as much sense. And make playing in Ireland easier - there aren't enough shades of green to distinguish all those counties.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How do I remove the battle warscore cap? I'm losing my poo poo here. I'm being rebelled against, and though I outman them, little stacks of 11 men keep besieging provinces and pushing my warscore way down, and I've reached the limit of battle warscores. I'm losing my poo poo at how irritating it is.

edit: And oh my god Paradox, remove the "run away exactly one day ahead" "strategy" all enemies do forever. It's loving stupid on so many levels.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 9, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My Old Gods game as Zoroastrian's has come to where I'm bored as poo poo. It's 1053 only and I am the huge green blob. Nothing else is reforming. The AI of West Francia had all of that brown and dark red blob next to it, but has recently gone into a bunch of independence wars during a succession crisis.

It's boring and I'm basically sitting around waiting for the hordes to come hoping they kick my teeth in with their doomstacks.

My eugenics have assured me that I'd have genius heirs since my first heir took over, and my current leader is a 17 year old who is Genius, Strong, and Attractive somehow. I'm running permanent absolute cognatic gavelkind, but managed to get a kingdom in my first character's life (by going 1200 gold into debt with mercenaries) and then an empire after two heirs.

I have 6 king level vassals and 45 duke vassals directly reporting to me.

I can call up 72 thousand troops without mercenaries, and make 80 gold a month.

Bored.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 9, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

My Old Gods game as Zoroastrian's has come to where I'm bored as poo poo. It's 1053 only and I am the huge green blob. Nothing else is reforming. The AI of West Francia had all of that brown and dark red blob next to it, but has recently gone into a bunch of independence wars during a succession crisis.

It's boring and I'm basically sitting around waiting for the hordes to come hoping they kick my teeth in with their doomstacks.

When you get boringly powerful, rather than abandoning the game, a cool thing to do is to switch to a different character and see what the AI does with your mega-empire.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

Play King Maker. That is always fun. Get claimants, marry them to your family members, install them and watch. I recently installed a bastard prince of france that is materially married to my niece.

I love the idea of a western african reformed france.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

marktheando posted:

When you get boringly powerful, rather than abandoning the game, a cool thing to do is to switch to a different character and see what the AI does with your mega-empire.

I actually cheated using the console to turn on Observe for the last 50 years. The only change has been that one heir died and was replaced by an even more amazing character, and that the AI constantly is going to war with the east europe countries, likely because they're so much weaker and tinier.

Even with constant wars the lowest vassal opinion of the god heir (Genius, Attractive, Strong, Kind, Gregarious, Lustful, Grey Eminence) is -23, and that's with a -48 penalty due to having levies raised.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My last empire was a third the size of yours and I still stomped the hordes into oblivion, without even the need for mercenaries. They won't be a challenge.

I do recommend the kingmaking game, it's a lot more fun than painting another chunk of the map your colour. Along similar lines, I'd suggest finding the most badass guy in your dynasty (that isn't you) and handing over the Middle East to him, then watch whether he manages to expand or fucks up royally in one way or another.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Yeah, when I get to be so large that it's boring/pointless/dangerous to expand either I'll switch to some other dude or do as empires did in real history: meddle in my neighbors politics.

Try building up a mega-Poland that encompasses the Baltic Coast to Hungary, all from the outside. That could be fun.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Average Bear posted:

edit: And oh my god Paradox, remove the "run away exactly one day ahead" "strategy" all enemies do forever. It's loving stupid on so many levels.

Cue Wiz swooping in to inform you that no, you're the one who's wrong, the AI needs to be total bullshit because otherwise it sucks. :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DStecks posted:

Cue Wiz swooping in to inform you that no, you're the one who's wrong, the AI needs to be total bullshit because otherwise it sucks. :v:

It's basically true though. The AI has to cheat or it's just not an issue. Even with nerfed boats, the whole reason I did my persian run was so I'd not abuse boats.

It's still loving annoying, and it's why the only war trait I ever look for is Organized or w/e it's called, for that bonus move speed.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

The beta patch keeps crashing on me. First in my ironman game save where I couldn't replace my chancellor, then in my new ironman game where I couldn't invite plotters to a plot.

It also rolled back buildings I already built. That one was a kick in the teeth. Had the merchant republic family estate fully upgraded.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Khazaria start went from an interesting challenge to Viking Old God start comically easy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Average Bear posted:

How do I remove the battle warscore cap? I'm losing my poo poo here. I'm being rebelled against, and though I outman them, little stacks of 11 men keep besieging provinces and pushing my warscore way down, and I've reached the limit of battle warscores. I'm losing my poo poo at how irritating it is.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with enemy armies running away when an overwhelming enemy force is approaching them in bad terrain. The problem is that they have no final goal beyond that, so instead of picking a destination with good defensive terrain and making a last stand or something, you just end up in essentially a game of tag as you chase them in circles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc If U Buck posted:

The Khazaria start went from an interesting challenge to Viking Old God start comically easy.

Which is a shame. Looking at this:

quote:

- Strengthened 867 starting positions for Rurik, Dyre the Stranger and the Khazars

The only one who is not quite strong already is Dyre the Stranger. And he is about as strong as any of the surrounding rulers, so it only takes a little skill to unite Ruthenia. I don't quite understand the motivation behind this change.

I only tried the Khazars once, and did not found it too difficult. I bribed the Pechengs and the Cumanians so that they looked for other targets, while beating up the Muslim duchy to my south. Then I had to reload my autosave because king Arpad decided "hmm, conquering Hungary is nice, but I don't want to cease ruling the horde, and would rather invade Khazaria" :argh: A reload fixed it and the "Magyars nomads no more" event fired, which gave me the opportunity to conquer nearly all of Taurica. After that the Pechengs tried to invade, I crushed them and eliminated their whole event troops. Then I declared war on THEM, and now I am as strong as any other power bordering me, except the Byzantines of course. Perhaps I was just lucky, but the start did not feel that tough.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
It turns out going full North Korea has its downsides. I got a game over when I reformed the West African faith...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Torrannor posted:

lovely colours for one thing. Who had the idea to give Scotland yellow as a colour? Why would you give them anything but blue? :psyduck:

Many people also complain about the new map. And about the fact that most things are now integrated into the mod itself, rather then being sub-mods that you can activate or leave off.

Scotland has been yellow in CK2+ literally forever.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the new CK2+. I am really hesitant about the new map and about SoA in general, so I'm sticking with 1.111 and CK2+ for now until everything is fixed.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Played a Khazaria ironman game, managed to get past the Pechenegs and Cumans with ease and founded the Kingdom of Jumania, which was stable for about 60 years. Woo, patch is good, right?

Then the loving broken rear end rebels show up and start tearing poo poo up. I have a 15 year civil war with Samaritan heretics who manage to replenish with a stack of 4,000 men three times and convert half of my kingdom before I put them down after watching them whittle away their men on sieges, and then a Georgian revolt shows up, which starts at 4,000 men and then jumps to 9,500 while I'm in the middle of fighting them with an equal force and bleeding out money from my mercs. Neo-Georgia takes a huge chunk of my Alan holdings, truce runs out within a year and they use their 9k stack of special troops to holy war for Itil (the big 6-county duchy east of the Volga), reducing me to one holding, a poo poo-shack prehistoric Kazan. The new king of Georgia then blinds 3 of my children whom he took into custody, gets offed by some Byzantine guy, and his successor declares war on me on day one of his reign, still in possession of the 9k stack of special troops.

I just nearly lost my poo poo in the middle of a library. gently caress this, going back to Norse for a while.

beefart fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 10, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Antinumeric posted:

It turns out going full North Korea has its downsides. I got a game over when I reformed the West African faith...

"Full North Korea?"

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Can I force-reform or cheat a religion into reformedness? West African Shamanism is going to die and I want them to continue on living so my EU4 conversion will have more interesting religions besides "Shamanism" and "Animism"

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

"Full North Korea?"

Having zero vassals.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

PleasingFungus posted:

"Full North Korea?"

No vassals. It would entirely break the game (figuratively) if it didn't actually break the game (literally) at like 900-1000 holdings. No idea why reforming would break things.

edit: ^^ :argh:

beefart posted:

Then the loving broken rear end rebels show up and start tearing poo poo up.

Good to know they've fixed event troops! :v:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

Can I force-reform or cheat a religion into reformedness? West African Shamanism is going to die and I want them to continue on living so my EU4 conversion will have more interesting religions besides "Shamanism" and "Animism"

There's two ways to do this. The first is to cheat yourself the necessary holy site provinces until you have at least three and moral authority at 50 by going into the console and typing

code:
give_title c_[name of county] [your ruler's ID]
The second way it to just straight up make your character reformed, which you can do by typing

code:
religion west_african_pagan_reformed [your ruler's ID]
This method's a bit more tricky since all it does it change your official 'religion' to the reformed version but doesn't do anything to your provinces. You'll have to convert those manually in your EU4 game.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Antinumeric posted:

Well, normally one of your theocratic vassals becomes High Priest or whatever, so I'm guessing that without any vassal the game gives the title to you, turning you into a theocracy and non-playable. Though if you're a King or higher the duke-level high priesthood shouldn't be able to become your primary title, so maybe the game just spazzes out.

In either case, the solution is the same: create a bishop somewhere before reforming. (After reforming immediately grant him independence so he won't hate you.)

Hambilderberglar posted:

I don't think there's a global flag or anything, the "reform" button just does a bunch of stuff all at one (change religions for the various characters/regions and create the title).

Doing a straight search/replace from west_african_pagan to west_african_pagan_reformed in the savegame file should work (they'll lack a religious head but I don't think EU4 cares), but I'd rather play it safe and just tag-switch to a random West African king, console-cheat him 750 piety and three holy sites, reform, then hand back the titles. Unlike the former method this won't automatically convert all characters and provinces, but it also won't accidentally break anything. If you're about to move to EU4 I'd use the first method, if you still have a while to play I'd go with the latter.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
^^^
drat. Beaten by seconds. apparently a long-rear end time.

Antinumeric posted:

Were you lacking Religious vassals, too? If you were, that's why. When you reform a faith (other than Norse, because Paradox REALLY LIKES the Norse), the head priest title or whatever it's called is given to a random church vassal. If you had none, it gave it to you, and you're not allowed to play as a theocracy, which you now would be, being a priest.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

Well, normally one of your theocratic vassals becomes High Priest or whatever, so I'm guessing that without any vassal the game gives the title to you, turning you into a theocracy and non-playable. Though if you're a King or higher the duke-level high priesthood shouldn't be able to become your primary title, so maybe the game just spazzes out.

In either case, the solution is the same: create a bishop somewhere before reforming. (After reforming immediately grant him independence so he won't hate you.)

I don't think there's a global flag or anything, the "reform" button just does a bunch of stuff all at one (change religions for the various characters/regions and create the title).

Doing a straight search/replace from west_african_pagan to west_african_pagan_reformed in the savegame file should work (they'll lack a religious head but I don't think EU4 cares), but I'd rather play it safe and just tag-switch to a random West African king, console-cheat him 750 piety and three holy sites, reform, then hand back the titles. Unlike the former method this won't automatically convert all characters and provinces, but it also won't accidentally break anything. If you're about to move to EU4 I'd use the first method, if you still have a while to play I'd go with the latter.

Blarghalt posted:

There's two ways to do this. The first is to cheat yourself the necessary holy site provinces until you have at least three and moral authority at 50 by going into the console and typing

code:
give_title c_[name of county] [your ruler's ID]
The second way it to just straight up make your character reformed, which you can do by typing

code:
religion west_african_pagan_reformed [your ruler's ID]
This method's a bit more tricky since all it does it change your official 'religion' to the reformed version but doesn't do anything to your provinces. You'll have to convert those manually in your EU4 game.

This worked, I had to cheat the religions of my character and two vassals to west african pagan temporarily to get my required moral authority up and then reverse that. Thanks!

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Mailer posted:

No vassals. It would entirely break the game (figuratively) if it didn't actually break the game (literally) at like 900-1000 holdings. No idea why reforming would break things.

I managed to get into the 1600s without issue, other than the game freezing for 30 seconds every time I inherited like, a barony. Longer for more titles gained. It made annexing Germany+Frisia+Bavaria in a war fun, took about an hour.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

How does the Varangian Guard work for succession wars in the Byzantine Empire?
The two time I've fought succession wars, they turned hostile on me. Should I just keep them dismissed during succession wars, or is there some way to keep them on your side.

It seems weird that they'd turn on you since they're supposed to be loyal to the Basileios, and I'm still the Basileios during the war.

e: I don't know if it makes any difference if the claimant for the war was Born in the Purple or not. I started in 867, and my son Leon was Born in the Purple but he had the Homosexual trait, so I gave my other son the title of Despot to make him my heir. He's now the emperor, but he doesn't have the Born in the Purple trait.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 10, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

The two time I've fought succession wars, they turned hostile on me. Should I just keep them dismissed during succession wars, or is there some way to keep them on your side.

It seems weird that they'd turn on you since they're supposed to be loyal to the Basileios, and I'm still the Basileios during the war.

e: I don't know if it makes any difference if the claimant for the war was Born in the Purple or not. I started in 867, and my son Leon was Born in the Purple but he had the Homosexual trait, so I gave my other son the title of Despot to make him my heir. He's now the emperor, but he doesn't have the Born in the Purple trait.

Did you land them? Do you have money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

As I understand it, they're basically "just another vassal" when it comes to succession wars, and which side they take depends on the usual calculations (relative opinion, etc, etc.) Boosting the commander's opinion of you via some sort of bribe before the war breaks out will probably help keep them onside.

• Locked thread