Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I'm curious where Mike Vick goes though honestly having him back up Foles is probably a solid career end move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Emanuel Collective posted:

He's not in favor of it because he'd rather have him under contract. He'll do it if contract negotiations fall apart. The team has no plans for moving on with Cutler next season.

Your last sentence has me confused. Are you saying Cutler's days are numbered in Chicago? The first two sentences lead me to believe you think he will be there...your last sentence not so much.

If he truly wanted him under contract beyond this season, why isn't he? Unless I'm mistaken, franchise quarterbacks don't generally hit free agency or finish the final season of their contracts without a renewal.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I think he meant move on 'from' not 'with'.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nawid posted:

I'm curious where Mike Vick goes though honestly having him back up Foles is probably a solid career end move.
I can't see him not being given a chance somewhere, his arm is still ridiculous and he hasn't stopped being an efficient runner. There's just no way he gets a starter's contract with guaranteed money, though. He's only started 41 games in the last 4 years. But yeah, someone will sign him. Someone signed Kevin Kolb despite his body being loving obliterated in Arizona.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Just because the Bills did something stupid doesn't mean anyone else will.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Please don't overestimate GMs and team owners. It leads to nothing but sadness.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The X-man cometh posted:

It also doesn't mean the Bills won't do it again, though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MJBuddy posted:

I don't think he has a choice. He's out of eligibility I believe.

Considering he only needed 3 hours to graduate in fall, I think you're right:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2013/08/29/zach-mettenberger-lsu-quarterback-redshirt-senior/2726487/

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

swickles posted:

Looks like someone needs to unleash the dragon, Sexy Rexy available.

You mean former Houston Texan Rex Grossman? I think we have our solution.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa OT Brandon Scherff, who was likely to be on the first round bubble had he entered the draft, is going back to school for his senior year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

Iowa OT Brandon Scherff, who was likely to be on the first round bubble had he entered the draft, is going back to school for his senior year.

For that position, its probably not as bad as for a qb. He won't get that crazy scrutiny and will probably boost his stock into a sure first rounder instead of a bubble.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

For that position, its probably not as bad as for a qb. He won't get that crazy scrutiny and will probably boost his stock into a sure first rounder instead of a bubble.

Unless he gets hurt, yeah (which is a concern because he's had one serious knee injury already) Gallery did the same thing, although I don't think Scherff's ceiling is that high. I would have left if I was him, but a season to build up some hype could work well. He got overshadowed in the Big Ten by Lewan this year, even though I think he had a better season. Next year he'll be the guy going into the year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 10, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MourningView posted:

Darn, he was my 2nd round pick after Clowney to replace Newton. Oh well, I hope it works out for him.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

The X-man cometh posted:

We didn't pay him all that much. And it wasn't even his body that exploded: just his brain.
Plus, in all seriousness, I think Thad Lewis earned himself the back-up job.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

One slight x-factor in the whole QB carousel is Locker. I think he showed enough this year to warrant a shot somewhere, somehow but apparently Tennessee don't want to pick up the option on his contract. IIRC all the contracts are 3 + 1 option then they become a free agent. I think Gabbert is gonzo in Jacksonville for that reason.

Locker in Kansas City to compete with Alex Smith would be ideal, but I think Trestman could work some magic with him in Chicago if they get rid of Cutler. I suppose there's potential there too for him to go to a few places where he could potentially back up or compete with someone who either is in need of replacing or who's star is fading. Pittsburgh, Oakland, Chicago, St Louis, Cleveland, Minnesota, Houston, Jacksonville, and Arizona could all use a young dude who's shown some potential.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The rookie contract option for first rounders is the fifth year, not the fourth year, and for top ten picks it's a fully guaranteed salary at the top ten player average of the position that has to be executed in the May before the fourth year. I don't think the Titans guaranteeing Jake Locker ~$13m for 2015 based on his career to date would be any kind of a good idea, and if he somehow turns into a guy that's worth that figure they can just franchise tag him after the 2014 season for only a million or two more anyways.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

BlindSite posted:

One slight x-factor in the whole QB carousel is Locker. I think he showed enough this year to warrant a shot somewhere, somehow but apparently Tennessee don't want to pick up the option on his contract. IIRC all the contracts are 3 + 1 option then they become a free agent. I think Gabbert is gonzo in Jacksonville for that reason.

Locker in Kansas City to compete with Alex Smith would be ideal, but I think Trestman could work some magic with him in Chicago if they get rid of Cutler. I suppose there's potential there too for him to go to a few places where he could potentially back up or compete with someone who either is in need of replacing or who's star is fading. Pittsburgh, Oakland, Chicago, St Louis, Cleveland, Minnesota, Houston, Jacksonville, and Arizona could all use a young dude who's shown some potential.

There is approximately a 0% chance the Texans would hitch their wagon to Jake Locker

Taking in the castoff who wasn't good enough for the team that left Houston to want to keep? No way

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Intruder posted:

There is approximately a 0% chance the Texans would hitch their wagon to Jake Locker

Taking in the castoff who wasn't good enough for the team that left Houston to want to keep? No way

Agreed, I think the Texans are either rolling with Keenum or a draft pick this year as I don't think Cutler is leaving Chicago this offseason (stranger things have happened).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Who would they even replace him with? Freeman? Locker, that is. I can't see why they'd cut him loose.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Melvin Gordon asked for input from the draft advisory board. Thought he'd leave next year so that would be a nice boost of talent to the RB prospects if he came out.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

Melvin Gordon asked for input from the draft advisory board. Thought he'd leave next year so that would be a nice boost of talent to the RB prospects if he came out.

Add him to the mix and we're starting to look at a nice little RB draft class. Certainly not top heavy but some good depth in the mid rounds.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Mel Kiper: Texans should take Barr or Clowney at No. 1 overall; suck it, Kirios :getin:

Just kidding! That said, I'm glad to see someone who isn't automatically assigning Bridgewater (or Carr :smithicide:) to Houston and just assuming we'll take a QB first. Clowney (or Barr if we trade down to the 3-4 range) on the defense would be awesome.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I could live with Clowney/Hundley

Not that I think Hundley would last until the second round if he declared

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I could live with Clowney/Hundley

Not that I think Hundley would last until the second round if he declared

Hundley would be awesome if we traded down, but I'd want him to sit out while he fixes his mechanics.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I thought Hundley was going back to school?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

b0ng posted:

Signs are pointing towards that but I could see him declaring. He does everything right, but he drops his eyes and makes bad decisions a lot. He's kind of like Ryan Tannehill only not as good at dealing with pressure.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think it's kind of being assumed he'll go back to college because of Mora's deal but nothing has been announced yet

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
How do Texans fans look at a Clowney/Watt defensive end pairing wreaking havoc on the league's tackles and go "Hmmm, yes, but are we sure there aren't better options?"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well Watt wouldn't be a DE in a 4-3 and Clowney wouldn't be a DE in a 3-4. What I'm really looking at is Clowney and Watt on the same side of the line daring teams to block either of them 1 on 1

But yeah only if we're not going into the season with Keenum as the only hope at QB

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

How do Texans fans look at a Clowney/Watt defensive end pairing wreaking havoc on the league's tackles and go "Hmmm, yes, but are we sure there aren't better options?"

because a 3-4 only uses one DE

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The way I see it is if you draft Clowney in the first, you draft the best QB available in the 2nd (Boyd? Mett?), then sign a retread (Freeman? Campbell?) on the cheap and go into camp with Keenum, [2nd rounder], [vet backup] giving them equal reps with the first team hoping someone separates themselves.

This is assuming the Bears don't let Cutler go. Is the FA market any better for OL? I know the book on Case right now is basically "send the house and cackle maniacally" but we have no run game to challenge with and our OL really sucks outside of Brown and Myers, so if we could upgrade some of that and get him an actual offseason, an improved defense could easily carry us back to the playoffs. Fans are missing that right now there's no reason for other teams not to blitz us since Foster was way more lethal in the screen game than a busted-up Tate.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 11, 2013

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ask the Browns how settling for the 3rd - 5th options at quarterback in a draft works out. That is the single position that you do not want to "settle" on...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kirios posted:

Ask the Browns how settling for the 3rd - 5th options at quarterback in a draft works out. That is the single position that you do not want to "settle" on...

Its okay man. We'll get our Brady. Yeah.....

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Let's ask a team that just had to have a QB how it worked out taking one over a premier defensive talent. Let's say the defensive talent is... I don't know, Julius Peppers.

I mean I'm still leaning Bridgewater too but don't act like the choice is him or Weeden

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Kirios posted:

The Browns would have been in very good shape had they settled for Russell Wilson or Nick Foles instead of taking Brandon Weeden

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I guess people are missing the fact that Clowney was practically standing up and roaming around the D-line in a bunch of games this season. He'll be perfectly capable as a 3-4 edge rusher, especially in Phillips' 3-4.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Azhais posted:

because a 3-4 only uses one DE

What?

Doltos posted:

I guess people are missing the fact that Clowney was practically standing up and roaming around the D-line in a bunch of games this season. He'll be perfectly capable as a 3-4 edge rusher, especially in Phillips' 3-4.

Phillips isn't going to be around next season, who knows what the defensive scheme will be by the time the draft rolls around

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Phillips isn't going to be around next season, who knows what the defensive scheme will be by the time the draft rolls around

I'd assume they'd hold on to the 3-4. If they went back to the 4-3, Watt could easily play the strong side with Clowney on the left.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

I'd assume they'd hold on to the 3-4. If they went back to the 4-3, Watt could easily play the strong side with Clowney on the left.

Right now when they play four man fronts, Watt slides to the inside. I could see him moving to tackle if they switch to a 4-3. His pressure already comes from the interior anyway, he doesn't edge rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

b0ng posted:

That's what the rumors were but he hasn't made any official declaration either way. Now that Mariota has said that he's staying and Boyd's stock has dropped a bit he might declare if his agent believes he'd likely be one of the top 2 guys without Mariota around.

• Locked thread