Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Verranicus posted:

All of these file mods just seem like cheating to me.

There's a lot of examples of it being pretty cheap but I'm really glad that they made it so open, looking at a few things that have come out of it so far. The fact that, as far as I know, two mods have been seen by Tiy and are being implemented as actual parts of the game (pixel banking, "toxic" biomes) is really cool and actually a pretty good way to get ideas of what people want to see added to the game. I only worry that their scope broadens too far but hey, I know nothing about game development and I'm sure they know what they're doing.

I don't plan on using any mods but I can appreciate what some people are doing to make the game more enjoyable to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

maketakunai posted:

Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\items\guns\test\
bow.gun
ironbow.gun
steelbow.gun
titaniumbow.gun

It doesn't seem editing the power does anything to the damage. Anyone know how to up the damage on these bad boys?

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Genocyber posted:

Huh, I don't remember there being a titanium Bow being craftable. Is it in properly or did I just miss it?
There are only recipe files for bow, ironbow, steelbow, so it's probably just not finished. The titanium bow only differs from the steel bow in that the fireTime is 2 instead of 0.5 (which the other three bows have), it's level 10 as well.

Bob NewSCART posted:

It doesn't seem editing the power does anything to the damage. Anyone know how to up the damage on these bad boys?
The only difference between the bows besides the images/descriptions are the level, so cranking it up would probably work, though with the current system you'll probably end up one-shotting everything.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
I mentioned way before beta that I had to make a Doctor as one of my characters.
Just couldn't resist
http://www.twitch.tv/eraxis/c/3368322

The noise can get a bit irritating when using it for too long though, might have to do something about that in the future.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Am I wrong in thinking that all the important information is stored as .txt for the time being so people can experiment easily and find things they like? I highly doubt the final game will be moddable (especially when playing on a server) by just changing a .txt file.

It seems like a really good idea during beta, don't know about release.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

how do you use blueprints?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

how do you use blueprints?

Eat them.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Same way you use food.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Friction.123 posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that all the important information is stored as .txt for the time being so people can experiment easily and find things they like? I highly doubt the final game will be moddable (especially when playing on a server) by just changing a .txt file.

they mentioned they will put everything in pak files, but it'll basically be as easy except we'll need to depack the files first

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

maketakunai posted:

There are only recipe files for bow, ironbow, steelbow, so it's probably just not finished. The titanium bow only differs from the steel bow in that the fireTime is 2 instead of 0.5 (which the other three bows have), it's level 10 as well.

The only difference between the bows besides the images/descriptions are the level, so cranking it up would probably work, though with the current system you'll probably end up one-shotting everything.

Cranking the level or the power? I have the power at 15000 on my iron hunting bow and I'm pretty sure it still does the same damage somehow.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Friction.123 posted:

Well, they've been going for Highly Moddable™ since the beginning, so maybe not editing .txt files but probably really easy to do.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Verranicus posted:

All of these file mods just seem like cheating to me.

No poo poo.

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's more people regularly logged in to Starbound than Counterstrike. Will be curious to see if there's numbers given in a month for units sold while it's still in beta.

Holy crap, those numbers.

I'm a bit curious to see what their final sales numbers are. They've already made $3 million off their website pre-orders and it's currently the top selling game on Steam less than a week into the beta.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

there's more people regularly logged in to Starbound than Counterstrike. Will be curious to see if there's numbers given in a month for units sold while it's still in beta.

And that's with the pirated versions having perfectly working MP, too.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bob NewSCART posted:

Cranking the level or the power? I have the power at 15000 on my iron hunting bow and I'm pretty sure it still does the same damage somehow.

Try changing the armor penetration? Which might be the level.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

You need to edit the actual projectile file itself, not just the launcher.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

This may seem like a small thing, but I really wish the launcher would close when the game started, I keep forgetting to close it separately when I save and quit.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Jaramin posted:

This may seem like a small thing, but I really wish the launcher would close when the game started, I keep forgetting to close it separately when I save and quit.

Yeah and get rid of that stupid Chucklefish sound. Every time the game crashes it's like he's mocking me.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sharay posted:

Well, they've been going for Highly Moddable™ since the beginning, so maybe not editing .txt files but probably really easy to do.

This is such a dumb idea, and is going to ruin league play.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Bob NewSCART posted:

The level is what I meant; which should correspond to the power level (armor penetration), since it's 1 for the basic, 5 for the iron and 10 for the steel.

nightwisher posted:

You need to edit the actual projectile file itself, not just the launcher.
Maybe, but all three bows use "projectileType" = "woodenarrow" (and a charged one is "chargedarrow") instead of a different projectile per arrow.

If you want to try that though, they're in Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\projectiles\guns\unsorted\, then \woodenarrow\ and \chargedarrow\.

I haven't actually made any mods so I don't know exactly what affects what, I can only point in the general direction :sweatdrop:

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
So I just realized the other day that all of my characters are exploring the same universe. My Hyotl Dr. Punk just came across the dessicated remains of a glitch castle that my Floran Oregano destroyed two nights ago.

This means multiplayer is going to be... difficult isn't it?

I pick a home planet, and I can certainly keep it at a secret location, but the way I see it at some point I'm going to have to defend my home from a sentient griefer intent on building dicks on my home.

Are there any plans to create turrets, alarms, and home defense systems?

Because honestly building my base in the acidic rain of a toxic planet and giving everyone my location while shouting "come at me bro" sounds like fun. :getin:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Underwhelmed posted:

Good? gently caress "pro gamerz"?

I really don't see where you get off condemning modding over something so trivial and useless to the majority of the game's playerbase as "league play".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StealthArcher posted:

He's joking you goofus. If it wasn't obvious from context, check his post history; he's already planning on using the mining laser mod to get back up to speed quickly after the wipe.

Also competetive gaming is awesome, just completely irrelevant when we're talking about a Terraria clone of all things.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 10, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What would competitive Starbound even look like? A race to beat the game? A King Aurthur's Gold style "build two fortresses and fight it out"? :v:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Dukeofdummies posted:

So I just realized the other day that all of my characters are exploring the same universe. My Hyotl Dr. Punk just came across the dessicated remains of a glitch castle that my Floran Oregano destroyed two nights ago.

I pick a home planet, and I can certainly keep it at a secret location, but the way I see it at some point I'm going to have to defend my home from a sentient griefer intent on building dicks on my home.

Because honestly building my base in the acidic rain of a toxic planet and giving everyone my location while shouting "come at me bro" sounds like fun. :getin:

There are 10^16 coordinates per quadrant, 4 quadrants, roughly 1% of the coordinates have a star system inside, and each system has maybe 10 worlds on average?

Hit random once and you're about as likely to meet someone by accident as winning the lottery.

Edit: completely forgot sectors, add another order of magnitude

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 10, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Underwhelmed posted:

One can only hope.

Dukeofdummies posted:

"Sooner or later" meaning several decades, I imagine.
Even just the first quadrant is so huge that there are something like millions of worlds in it. The odds of someone stumbling across your stuff in multiplayer are unlikely, but why would you even be playing multiplayer just to hide away on some distant planet away from everyone else? Just play singleplayer.
The universe a multiplayer server takes place in is the universe of the host. So if you're not hosting your singleplayer stuff won't be there.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dukeofdummies posted:

With a range of -99999999 to 99999999 for both X and Y as your planet seed there's potentially 288,441,413,567,621,200,000 different planets per sector, assuming Alpha and Beta and so on seed from the same coordinate differently.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Competetive gaming is awesome, it just has absolutely nothing to do with a Terraria clone.

(Which is probably what the guy you're quoting was joking about. :ssh:)

Competitive gaming is meh at best, but opinions. All in all, it's a joke I can't pick up due to too many grognard asshats whining about things being changeable or not 'difficulty'(tedium) enough for the cheeto'd up selves (See Cataclysm:DDA Dev team sans GlyphGryph and Minecraft modding Community) actually seriously saying things like this. Poe's Law for gaming and all that.

E: Also nice edit attempt at a zinger there.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

I really don't see where you get off condemning modding over something so trivial and useless to the majority of the game's playerbase as "league play".

So we have this new thing these days called "comedy".

I hear it's pretty nifty.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

StealthArcher posted:

Dude, I was being sarcastic. How in the hell would a league in this game even work? Relax.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What would competitive Starbound even look like? A race to beat the game? A King Aurthur's Gold style "build two fortresses and fight it out"? :v:

Soldat-style DM on a purpose-built planet arena.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ViggyNash posted:

it's currently the top selling game on Steam less than a week into the beta.

The only game of any significance they are up against is AC:Black Flag, which came out a bit less than a month ago on every platform known to man.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StealthArcher posted:

E: Also nice edit attempt at a zinger there.

Yeah, you're right, it's probably superfluous with the six or seven other people calling you out. :shobon:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Reiley posted:

With a range of -99999999 to 99999999 for both X and Y as your planet seed there's potentially 288,441,413,567,621,200,000 different planets per sector, assuming Alpha and Beta and so on seed from the same coordinate differently.

Except there's definitely empty coordinates in a Sector, it most likely assigns a sector onto the coordinate.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'm pretty glad you can mod the pickaxe to be 4x4. That's the perfect size to emulate the digging from Diggers 2: Extractors which means this is the game little kid me wanted for years and years.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Let's stop being annoying here, people.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Reiley posted:

You know, this honestly could be something I'd watch as a competitive thing, so maybe I'm wrong after all. Crow is yummy.

Also please do note:

quote:

All in all, it's a joke I can't pick up due to too many grognard asshats whining about things being changeable or not 'difficulty'(tedium) enough for the cheeto'd up selves (See Cataclysm:DDA Dev team sans GlyphGryph and Minecraft modding Community) actually seriously saying things like this. Poe's Law for gaming and all that.

There are a lot of people, influencing games I play that say poo poo like that unironically and then change the game like it if not shouted down. This is why I fail to notice it as a joke.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Reiley posted:

Now that could be interesting. Fill it with obstacles. Start the players out with nothing. Scatter chests with weapons and tools around. Many enter, one leaves. :black101:

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Reiley posted:

We must build War World.

Is there any way to disable placement or mining of blocks? If so, can it be done selectively?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Wow. This guy needs to leave the basement more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Underwhelmed posted:

Dude, I was being sarcastic. How in the hell would a league in this game even work? Relax.

How? Easy. Starbound's newest feature: Dwarf Floran Fortress mode. :getin:

e: People that have found mechs need to add it to the google doc in the OP. The only one listed there is noted as being bad coordinates. I'm on a mission to find a mech. Ideally before the X sector unless it's restricted to that. :(

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 10, 2013

• Locked thread