Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

I think the latest patches and damage 2.0 managed to somehow make Nekros even worse. I think soul punch deals impact damage and has somehow become buggy such that it doesn't punt the target, though on occasion I think I saw it shoot the target toward me. I'm pretty sure terrify doesn't even do the fear any more, and its armor debuff now matters even less.

I know the answer is DE, but holy poo poo how did they think this frame was something they should release? And why did I forma and starch it in the vain hope that it will someday not suck? Don't drunkframe.

Nekros is a mod/mat farming frame and should never be used as anything else. All you need is 90% power efficiency, Desecrate and a bit of time. Just sit and spam that while your team kills the mobs, even better if there's a Vauban tossing vortex to roundup and crowd control them. On a 20-round run at Xini, I can usually farm 40~50 mods and more nanospores than god.

If you want to kill poo poo, use a different frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Slayerjerman posted:

Nekros is a mod/mat farming frame and should never be used as anything else. All you need is 90% power efficiency, Desecrate and a bit of time. Just sit and spam that while your team kills the mobs, even better if there's a Vauban tossing vortex to roundup and crowd control them. On a 20-round run at Xini, I can usually farm 40~50 mods and more nanospores than god.

I play my nekros for fun because not every game has to be boiled down based on farming and loot (regardless if that's the only real end goal). Play games for fun, hope this helps!

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Prav posted:

The Dera's projectiles are fast so it's no big deal there, same for the even faster Lanka with the caveat that you'd better be good at leading the correct amount since it's not a gun you want to miss with.

The Supra's plasma on the other hand is so slow that it's entirely possible to empty out half of the magazine before the first shot hits. It's also not accurate enough to actually hit anything, even aside from the projectile speed. Use at point blank or to just fill an entire corridor with plasma - but as a general purpose weapon it's just a pain in the rear end.

Cestra's also a mini-supra but it has a low amount count in comparison (60 compared to what, 100?). It can still be as devastating as the other weapons though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Slayerjerman posted:

Oh I'm well aware that Nekros has no purpose other than farming (which is an absolute poo poo design). Also I thought desecrate didn't work with vortex unless they changed something, since vortex gets rid of the bodies. Basically my point is that they need to redesign that frame because being the farm bot with 3 lovely powers and nothing else remarkable is stupid as hell.

For nobody in particular, here's what I would do to the Nekros: Make soul punch sonic boom (and make banshee's sonic boom a Guile sonic boom that knocks everything in its path to the sides. Also make silence flash kick). Raise dead should no longer be his ult but instead spawn just one improved minion for 75 energy, prioritizing the strongest one you've killed. Terrify becomes his ult, an aoe centered on the Nekros for some duration that reduces enemy armor in its aoe and and fears any enemy that hits him for a couple seconds. Desecrate should be changed from its stupid loot doubler to just healing the Nekros based on the number of corpses around for 50 energy or, if they want some team utility, spawning a health pickup on each corpse. And then give him better health and armor so that maybe just once health tanking might conceivably be a thing.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

fookolt posted:

How is the Latron these days? I like being able to headshot everything with it but I'm wondering if there are other rifles that I should check out.

Chumbler mentioned it in his edit above your post, but I also want to say that Vectis is really fun. 4x zoom is low enough for mid-range combat which most of this game involves, and it fires at about 0.7s/per with a reload mod. Headshots all day. Also Lex / Aklex are really fun pistols for picking off headshots too. Bows are okay but I don't like the non-hitscan projectiles when enemies move so erratically in this game.

Also the entire Vectis reticule (which transparently covers the screen) turns red on a live enemy so it helps a lot during a big firefight.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Hit rank 6 last night; will have a Soma waiting for me when I get home, and tomorrow I get to swap Vauban out for Nova. It's a good time for space ninjas.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Terrify is a poo poo power that's only useful on one faction any more and is really poo poo at it.

Oh and speaking of armor Valkyr with max Steel Fiber, max Focus, lv7 Blind Rage, Roared with max Warcry, gets up to juuuuust over 50% damage reduction on hp. Yep. 21 damage on shields became 13 damage on hp without buffs which became 9 damage with buffs.

Oh and don't slot any of the elemental resistance mods, they remove your Armor. I know how loving stupid that sounds, but it's true.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Life takes a real turn for the better when you slot Streamline and Fleeting Expertise. The game hard caps your power efficiency at 75% so I only leveled Fleeting Expertise to 40% to get me to 70% total and minimize the penalty, but being able to fire off the frame's ultimate skill for 30 energy instead of 100 changed it from an ability that I never used to one that I would fire off just whenever I felt like it so I could watch Ash bampf around like Nightcrawler murdering everything while I cackled madly. The fun factor increased significantly at that point.

I also learned last night that you should probably not gently caress with Novas, at least I think it was the team's Nova that was responsible. In a defense mission whenever I would see an incoming wave of Corpus, the entire cluster of them would just disintegrate before I even had the chance to shoot them. I'm assuming that it was the Nova's doing, since the horrifying death explosion was purple and she was using lots of purple in her color scheme.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Molecular Prime disintegrates groups, is completely overpowered, and causes severe FPS drops. Any Nova not spamming it on big groups isn't worth their salt.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

texasmed posted:

Chumbler mentioned it in his edit above your post, but I also want to say that Vectis is really fun. 4x zoom is low enough for mid-range combat which most of this game involves, and it fires at about 0.7s/per with a reload mod. Headshots all day. Also Lex / Aklex are really fun pistols for picking off headshots too. Bows are okay but I don't like the non-hitscan projectiles when enemies move so erratically in this game.

Also the entire Vectis reticule (which transparently covers the screen) turns red on a live enemy so it helps a lot during a big firefight.

Thanks! This is awesome.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Kessel posted:

Molecular Prime disintegrates groups, is completely overpowered, and causes severe FPS drops. Any Nova not spamming it on big groups isn't worth their salt.

It's also blind to power duration, so you can hit efficiency cap without worrying about the downside.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Denzine posted:

Oh and don't slot any of the elemental resistance mods, they remove your Armor. I know how loving stupid that sounds, but it's true.

What, really? Why would you do this, DE?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Schubalts posted:

What, really? Why would you do this, DE?

Some weird bug that we discovered when Denzine was trying out my uber Armor Valkyr idea. If we had the old Armor numbers, she'd probably be reducing all damage taken by 90%-95%, which would you know, be pretty nice. But in the new model even the "tankiest" warframe in terms of Armor gets melted by a single Moa in Pluto.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

T2 survival :getin:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

zgrowler2 posted:

That reminds me, what is the significance of that intricate design next to the credits? Is that a skill ranking or what?

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

The Jumpoff posted:

That reminds me, what is the significance of that intricate design next to the credits? Is that a skill ranking or what?

It was the icon used for the original survival event and was a score assigned based on how long you stayed in. I have no clue what it means anymore.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
I think DE is just too lazy to take the points out of survival missions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a Vauban Systems alert on sedna for another 45 minutes.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

WeaponBoy posted:

It was the icon used for the original survival event and was a score assigned based on how long you stayed in. I have no clue what it means anymore.

It used to reliably show the number of seconds you stayed in the match, but now it just seems to spit out numbers in the 20s.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

This is probably a dumb question but do elemental damage mods need existing elemental damage to be beneficial?

For example, Hellfire is +15% fire damage base. Does the weapon I'm using need to have fire damage in order for it to be effective? Or does it add 15% fire damage on top of the existing base damage?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SteveMcQueen posted:

This is probably a dumb question but do elemental damage mods need existing elemental damage to be beneficial?
They do not. Elemental mods work off of the weapon's base damage value regardless of whether or not that damage is already elemental.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Keep in mind that if you have one of the full elemental weapons, like say the Ignis or the Synapse, that adding any of the physical mods won't actually do anything though, as those require an existing base amount of damage of that type. (Not that you should even bother with them in general for the most part anyway.)

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
The only time that slashing/impact/puncture are worth it are when you don't have enough slots for an elemental mod and your weapon is mostly whatever damage type you're about to slot.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
If I were to fix Nekros, I would alter his abilities slightly:
1. Soul Punch would "prime" a target, kinda like a single Molecular Prime, sans the damage bonus and slow, but applies a set damage if the target did not die right out. When the target dies, it explodes and damages the surrounding enemies (not as much as MPrime).
2. Terrify is pretty useless. Either make it an AoE damage bonus and slow, or add a component like Decoy where the enemy would aggro a false target, but indestructible unlike Decoy.
3. Desecrate is as Desecrate does.
4. Shadows of the Dead: just make them intangible to NPCs, like our warframes to other players to lessen pathing issues. Better enemies killed should replace shittier enemies. Or ignore poo poo enemies outright, like rollers and runners. Or one possibility is also they explode when they die. So even if you summoned 7 useless pets, they could still jihad on the enemies.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Valkyr is the ultimate trollframe, guys. That grappling hook can pull friendlies all day long, whether they want to be pulled anywhere or not. And they often don't. Loading a lovely defense alert mission with pubs? Now you can MAKE THEM stay at the loving pod instead of attempting to melee trash somewhere out of sight. I would honestly pay up to $25 just to add a soundbite like "get over here" or "oh no you don't", every time that skill is cast.

Jun 29, 2009
Is it normal to not get the alert mission bonus credits if you don't get to the exit before the other players? Just did a 10k reward alert and only seemed to get the regular 4k from the mission, two of the other players speed ran the hell out of it, I was stuck fighting bombards with the fourth dude all the way to the exit.

AvatarSteve fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 10, 2013

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I believe there is some sort of penalty for not making it to the extraction by the time the counter hits zero.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yes, you don't get the credit reward for a mission if you do not make it to extraction on time. It's one of the reasons people on the forums hate speedrunners joining public games so much.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Playing with a pubbie this morning, I learned a neat trick for farming in survival missions: once you get the extraction waypoint, go there to start the extraction timer, then leave. The timer will stop, and enemies won't level up, so you can just keep slaughtering them as long as you can keep your air supply up. Is this well-known?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Is it normal to not get the alert mission bonus credits if you don't get to the exit before the other players? Just did a 10k reward alert and only seemed to get the regular 4k from the mission, two of the other players speed ran the hell out of it, I was stuck fighting bombards with the fourth dude all the way to the exit.

Schubalts posted:

Yes, you don't get the credit reward for a mission if you do not make it to extraction on time. It's one of the reasons people on the forums hate speedrunners joining public games so much.

Oh snap, now I feel sort of bad. I was on the opposite end of this situation, hopped into a credits-only alert and speed-ran it with another warframe. The other two lagged behind so bad they never made it to extraction. To be fair, I think the mission level was like 12-15 so it's not like it should have been hard for them to start off & keep up with us in the first place, since we mowed down everything in our way as we ran there anyway. v:shobon:v

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I just started playing and how do I be less crappy in melee? I can shoot things ok, but whenever a bad guy comes into close range I'm just flailing about with my sword like I'm being attacked by bees, until I die. It seemed so much easier in the tutorial.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just started playing and how do I be less crappy in melee? I can shoot things ok, but whenever a bad guy comes into close range I'm just flailing about with my sword like I'm being attacked by bees, until I die. It seemed so much easier in the tutorial.

Yeah, no. Melee isn't so much "good" as "a thing that technically exists".

But if you want real advice, never use single daggers or longswords (they can only hit a single target at a time), don't melee heavies (they'll gently caress you up in a minute if you aren't a Rhino or otherwise nigh-invulnerable), and stick to charge builds. Emphasize raw damage and pray you can one shot a bad guy and three or four of his friends. Or just shoot them in the face, it's way easier and more effective.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Schubalts posted:

Yet another thing that DE didn't feel needed to be explained at any point in any way!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Male Man posted:

Yeah, no. Melee isn't so much "good" as "a thing that technically exists".

But if you want real advice, never use single daggers or longswords (they can only hit a single target at a time), don't melee heavies (they'll gently caress you up in a minute if you aren't a Rhino or otherwise nigh-invulnerable), and stick to charge builds. Emphasize raw damage and pray you can one shot a bad guy and three or four of his friends. Or just shoot them in the face, it's way easier and more effective.
Maneuvering and hitting the E key at the same time sucks so I'm glad to hear I should just shoot everything. Thanks!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maneuvering and hitting the E key at the same time sucks so I'm glad to hear I should just shoot everything. Thanks!

One of the first things I did was swap "melee" to the F key and "use" to the E key. Made melee a lot better and every other loving game uses E to interact with poo poo so I don't know why DE didn't.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

I have melee on Mouse 3, so at least I can kinda make it work. Still useless.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zgrowler2 posted:

how...thefuck....

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

how...thefuck....

Ran with a goon and two pubbies, all fine players. One of the pubbies was a Nekros, so RNG_gods_pity++?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Male Man posted:

never use single daggers or longswords (they can only hit a single target at a time)

There are some exceptions to this rule, like the Kama hitting up to 3 targets. The majority of single weapons are pretty terrible, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
What about the Dakra prime? I was looking at it earlier and it seems to be a single blade high regular attack damage longsword that hits multiple targets. I planned on making one and forma'ing it for fun because I'm tired of spamming charge attacks with the Orthos.