Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
You should be able to ask the nurses to not disclose your room number. If he looks it up himself, it would be a huge privacy breach and you could probably get him fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
It seems to me like you should also be able to just request from the outset of your stay that should you ever require an RT, the one assigned NOT be him because you know him socially and feel very uncomfortable with him being present for your labor. I'm pretty sure most hospitals have more than one RT on shift at any given time.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Fionnoula posted:

It seems to me like you should also be able to just request from the outset of your stay that should you ever require an RT, the one assigned NOT be him because you know him socially and feel very uncomfortable with him being present for your labor. I'm pretty sure most hospitals have more than one RT on shift at any given time.

This is going to be the route I'm going. I've had a very uncomplicated pregnancy, and can't figure out why on earth he would think he'd need to be there - unless there is a need for an RT if there is meconium present, but I'd assume they'd rush kiddo out and go and fix that. Him being my neighbor makes things awkward but I am firm in my stance. Since kiddo is eminent to show up within the next 14 days, the momma bear feelings are slowly starting to erupt.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
That guy is a loving creep.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chickalicious posted:

That guy is a loving creep.

Agreed, it's super creepy. When I was pregnant with Liam, I'd estimate that 85% of our social circle were paramedics, EMTs and nurses, due to my husband and my jobs. There was the running joke throughout my pregnancy that I should "feel free to go into labor any time, I'm a medical professional!", but it was basically the same joke popular at parties whenever someone did something idiotic and likely to lead to injury, not a single one of them ever made any kind of statements about wanting to be *actually* involved in my labor and delivery. It just wasn't their place and they all knew that. Dude seriously has no concept of normal boundaries.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Thank you all, really. It's been the one thing that's been bugging me and I haven't said anything about it until now but boyhowdy am I not letting it happen. We are their closest (location wise) friends in the area and he spends a lot of time over here or my husband over there, and I just try to avoid him. His wife is really nice and nothing like him- he's just very immature and it really really shows.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
:siren: New goonbabby! :siren: This is Celeste, she was born on the 26th November at 2:45am weighing 3.445kg (7'9), 52cms long. Labor went for 23hrs and involved a bit too much morphine and a lot of stitches at the end but when everything was over both baby and Mum are healthy and doing well. I just wanted to say Thank You Goons for your support and info in this thread and elsewhere, it was a great help to me :)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Thanks, David's going down to Helsinki tomorrow morning and on Tuesday he's scheduled for surgery, we're going to have to scramble to get ready and take the car down after him.

It's Tuesday where you are! I just wanted to wish you guys a good, easy, uncomplicated surgery with a super quick recovery time. The waiting really sucks. We've been lucky enough that all Liam's surgeries have taken place really close to home, I can't even imagine how much harder it is when there's a ton of travel involved as well.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Fionnoula posted:

It's Tuesday where you are! I just wanted to wish you guys a good, easy, uncomplicated surgery with a super quick recovery time. The waiting really sucks. We've been lucky enough that all Liam's surgeries have taken place really close to home, I can't even imagine how much harder it is when there's a ton of travel involved as well.

Seconding this, good luck His Divine Shadow.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Thanks for thinking of us :) The operation started at 8AM and was finished at around 12:30. The surgeon called us and said David was in recovery now and he thought the operation went well. So we're finally breathing a bit easier, now it's just waiting for him to get better. The next day is the most critical still though, and they might keep him on a respirator for a few days they say.

We didn't even know what kinda surgery they where gonna perform on him, the surgeon said he himself would not be sure until he was on the table. He might have gotten a banding operation if the surgeon thought the heart was too weak to operate on or if there where more and smaller holes that the ultra sound could not detect.

Banding means that instead of patching the holes in his ventricles they'd instead have put a tight band around his pulmonary artery and restrict blood flow to the lungs. That's been one of the main problems with his condition, no pressure differential between the two chambers due to the holes = too much blood and fluid to the lungs, also already oxygenated blood going back to the lungs.
So no pressure differential => too much blood & fluids in lungs => worse oxygenation of blood => heart works harder => eventual heart congestion. This would have alleviated most of those symptoms and given the lungs and heart a rest, the point then would have been to give him half a year to grow before trying again. We're of course happy they where able to do this now so he won't have to go through it again.

As for living arrangements, aid came from a strange source, namely McDonalds. There's a foundation called the Ronald McDonald House Charity. They got a bunch of houses next to the hospital complex in Helsinki, very nice places, big rooms and kitchens and such so we can live sorta normally here down here and it's 10 euros a day per parent, which is cheaper than any hotel, motel or hostel. So we've been in walking distance from where David is and we borrowed a stroller from the hospital.

So anyway everythings looking fine at the moment, so I'll finish with some pictures of the house we're in:

And Daniel says hello:

EDIT, we got to visit David later and I took a cellphone pic of him so we have something to remember this moment by:

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 10, 2013

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
The Ronald McDonald houses are one reason why I'm happy to eat fast food- I can help people who desperately need a place to stay when their kiddo/s are stuck in the hospital for awhile. I didn't realize they were overseas as well- good to hear. And yay for the tiny one looking well and cute at the same time!

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
Just found out the missus is pregnant last week. Got our first scan in a few weeks.

They didn't do any pregnancy test on her when we went to the doctors the first time which I found weird. Aren't they supposed to check if she is, you know.. actually pregnant?
I think will have to change doctors because these mouth breathers were not even sure who(nurse or doctor) is supposed to contact the midwives.

She's crying all the time and sending me out at three o-clock in the morning to pickup oranges so she better bloody be pregnant.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
So what's up with the gagging and chin quivering at 8 weeks? I haven't thrown up yet but I constantly feel like something is stuck in my throat (like I tried to swallow a horse pill and it got stuck) and I have to fight the urge to gag constantly. Can't wear anything tight around my neck (work ID lanyard, scarf, etc.)

I've been snacking all day in order to keep my belly full (trying carbs and salt like recommended here) but it's not helping. I'd like to avoid taking something like Zofran since I'm sure I can just deal with it but any advice to make it easier would be greatly appreciated.

e: I'm also wearing my sea bands all day long. Today, nothing is helping!

jennyinstereo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 10, 2013

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Maybe try something sour? That seems to be a common option. And if you develop any cravings, give them a whirl. As for the gagging, is it just with the morning sickness or happening on its own?

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

Ansiktsburk posted:

Maybe try something sour? That seems to be a common option. And if you develop any cravings, give them a whirl. As for the gagging, is it just with the morning sickness or happening on its own?

Sorry, I should have said all day sickness. I feel like this all day long. I'll be sitting here at my desk working and then suddenly, my throat starts to spam and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I have to swallow slowly and try and take my mind off of it. It constantly feels like someone is squeezing my throat/neck. It only started this week (my 8th week).

Last week, I felt sick to my stomach most of the time. This week, it feels like it is concentrated in my throat area. It's happening as I type this.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Zethe posted:

Just found out the missus is pregnant last week. Got our first scan in a few weeks.

They didn't do any pregnancy test on her when we went to the doctors the first time which I found weird. Aren't they supposed to check if she is, you know.. actually pregnant?
I think will have to change doctors because these mouth breathers were not even sure who(nurse or doctor) is supposed to contact the midwives.

She's crying all the time and sending me out at three o-clock in the morning to pickup oranges so she better bloody be pregnant.

Congratulations :) Are you in the UK? That sounds pretty typical (pregnant women can self refer to the midwives).

Good luck with everything His Divine Shadow

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

Hallelujah! I took 2 extra strength tums and they seem to be working! Could this just be terrible acid reflux???

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

jennyinstereo posted:

Hallelujah! I took 2 extra strength tums and they seem to be working! Could this just be terrible acid reflux???

Yes it can be. I got so sick with mine that they put me in Prilosec one a day for the duration of my pregnancy. If tums is working, great! If it's not, then talk to your doctor about it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Ginger is ineffective for me, but mint helps. Especially double mint gum! I've also discovered that tums can help cut the nausea a little, even when it doesn't feel like heartburn.

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008
I'm on Nexium for my horrible heartburn and it really helps, so that might be an option as well. Also, don't be afraid to rely on Zofran if you need it to get through the day. I put off taking it throughout my first trimester for pride reasons and ended up succumbing to it when I started vomiting almost daily at 14 weeks. It's extremely helpful (although it doesn't last the whole 8 hours like it says it will) and I really wish I had started taking it earlier.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Yeah, heartburn makes me all pukey during pregnancy when it doesn't otherwise. Might explain the sensation in your throat, too. My OB has me on Zantac twice a day for mine and I take tums as needed. It isn't perfect, but it helps a lot.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Went in for my appointment (I'm 38 wks and 5 days) and my blood pressure was 140/90 and then 155/108 a few minutes later! The doctor prescribed a blood pressure med and it sounds like I'm going to be induced within a week unless I happen to spontaneously go into labor first. Thankfully the non stress test was normal. Wish me luck :ohdear:

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

Went in for my appointment (I'm 38 wks and 5 days) and my blood pressure was 140/90 and then 155/108 a few minutes later! The doctor prescribed a blood pressure med and it sounds like I'm going to be induced within a week unless I happen to spontaneously go into labor first. Thankfully the non stress test was normal. Wish me luck :ohdear:

Did they check your urine for protein/get other lab work?

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*

superbelch posted:

Did they check your urine for protein/get other lab work?

They check it at every appointment and it has always been negative, including today. They booked me for a repeat check and NST for this Friday, along with an ultrasound. If anything is concerning I'll be sent straight to L and D. If normal, I'll be induced on Tuesday.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Proteinuria is no longer required to diagnose preeclampsia (main thing we worry about with elevated BP in the later part of pregnancy) - blood tests should be done to rule out low platelets and liver involvement. It would be unusual for there to be involvement of other organs without proteinuria, but practice guidelines have changed very recently.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

superbelch posted:

Proteinuria is no longer required to diagnose preeclampsia (main thing we worry about with elevated BP in the later part of pregnancy) - blood tests should be done to rule out low platelets and liver involvement. It would be unusual for there to be involvement of other organs without proteinuria, but practice guidelines have changed very recently.

By this do you mean that low platelets can cause high BP unrelated to preeclampsia? I had suddenly high BP my last week of pregnancy and also platelets low enough that I could not have spinal anesthesia. Once I was admitted, I got magnesium which barely kept it under control. So was I not at risk of pre-e and my low platelets caused the high BP readings?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

By this do you mean that low platelets can cause high BP unrelated to preeclampsia? I had suddenly high BP my last week of pregnancy and also platelets low enough that I could not have spinal anesthesia. Once I was admitted, I got magnesium which barely kept it under control. So was I not at risk of pre-e and my low platelets caused the high BP readings?

Preeclampsia and something called HELLP syndrome likely exist in a continuum, and low platelets are a common finding between them. Low platelets and high BP without other abnormalities would be considered severe preeclampsia. You received magnesium to prevent eclampsia (seizures).

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

Isabelle Caramel posted:

I'm on Nexium for my horrible heartburn and it really helps, so that might be an option as well. Also, don't be afraid to rely on Zofran if you need it to get through the day. I put off taking it throughout my first trimester for pride reasons and ended up succumbing to it when I started vomiting almost daily at 14 weeks. It's extremely helpful (although it doesn't last the whole 8 hours like it says it will) and I really wish I had started taking it earlier.

I wish I could get an rx for Zofran. I don't see my OB until I'm nearly 13 weeks. I've never seen her before and never been to this doctor's office before. I called the doctor's office and the nurse will be in tomorrow and will be able to prescribe something.

I have another question. Flu shots? Yay or nay? I'm being offered a free one at my family doctor's clinic in January or here at work this Monday. I'm getting mixed opinions. Would I be stupid to not get one?

jennyinstereo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 11, 2013

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
Flu shots are definitely a personal opinion, but I chose to get mine. The last thing I need for my baby's development is to get the flu, and any antibodies I develop and have, my baby gets to keep for a little while after birth to protect them until they develop their own. As I'm due in February, I'm hoping my flu shot will keep her from getting it her first few months.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I caught a cold from the hospital I gave birth at and it was absolutely miserable dealing with that and a brand new baby. I couldn't imagine dealing with the flu and a brand new baby.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

jennyinstereo posted:

I have another question. Flu shots? Yay or nay? I'm being offered a free one at my family doctor's clinic in January or here at work this Monday. I'm getting mixed opinions. Would I be stupid to not get one?

Yes, and the sooner the better. Everyone should get a flu shot but it is especially important for pregnant woman to do so. I got one when I was 6 or 8 weeks...can't remember exactly. It takes a couple of weeks for your body to produce antibodies. Get the shot, not the nasal spray.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/influenza-and-pregnancy.aspx

Pregnant women are more likely to get the flu, more likely to have severe cases, and if they do get the flu are at risk for preterm birth and premature labor.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I would wait and get it from your OB. A lot of other places won't give it to a pregnant woman due to liability.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."

skeetied posted:

I would wait and get it from your OB. A lot of other places won't give it to a pregnant woman due to liability.

I had my OB fax me a prescription for the flu shot. It's all I needed to get it wherever I wanted to.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I feel like a piece of poo poo and I guess the only reason why I'm sharing it is to get it out there (don't want to tell me wife really because she's so excited). Ever since finding out what the sex of my baby is, I've been extremely... Not excited and kind of feel numb towards the idea of having a kid in general.

I was so excited up until this point, but something about finding out what the little guy was changed it completely. I feel so guilty and terrible for thinking like this. I just kind of feel like I don't want it anymore even though I know I do. :-(

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
It is okay! I freaked out when I found out kiddo was a boy for awhile. Now I've accepted it and am happy to be having a boy but it took me a bit. It took me several months to accept I was pregnant and we were keeping it and that I wasn't going to terminate (it was very unplanned). You're in a nice safe place :) this is all a crazy thing, life is about to change and i guess we are never really ready- no matter who or what it is.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Inudeku posted:

I feel like a piece of poo poo and I guess the only reason why I'm sharing it is to get it out there (don't want to tell me wife really because she's so excited). Ever since finding out what the sex of my baby is, I've been extremely... Not excited and kind of feel numb towards the idea of having a kid in general.

I was so excited up until this point, but something about finding out what the little guy was changed it completely. I feel so guilty and terrible for thinking like this. I just kind of feel like I don't want it anymore even though I know I do. :-(

I was so sure I was having a girl (and I really, really wanted one), to the point where I was dreading the ultrasound because I knew I would be absolutely devastated if it turned out to be a boy. Because for 20 weeks I'd been picturing my little girl and imagining our future, and if it turned out that she was a he, I'd feel like I'd lost "my" baby girl (that never existed in the first place). Pregnancy does weird things to your emotions, even if you're not the one carrying the baby. Luckily my girl turned out to be just that, my girl, but I'm sure once I'd adjusted to the shock and gotten used to the idea of my little boy, things would be just fine. I'm sure you'll adjust to this change and your little whatever will grow on you, but if the feelings persist, you should definitely talk to someone before the kid actually arrives.

(Now, if your reason for being disappointed with the sex of your baby is because you think one sex is worth less than the other, you should talk to someone regardless, because that's not a good attitude to have.)

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

skeetied posted:

I already cancelled my flu shot appointment with my family doctor... I'll find out Monday if work will give it to me.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I really, really wanted a girl and was disappointed when I found out I was carrying a boy. I was pretty "meh" during my whole pregnancy and didn't feel a connection to him at all. He's 8 months old now and I've never loved anyone like I love him. I can't even imagine having a girl, my little guy is so awesome. I'd still like to have a daughter but now I'm really happy I have a son.

Larch Tote
Mar 10, 2007

...in the world.
It's totally OK to mourn for the baby you won't be having. I have twins, and I still sometimes mourn not having a singleton. If the feeling persists or becomes severe/unmanageable, talk to a therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
I wanted a girl and I had convinced myself my bub was a girl. When we had the ultrasound which showed a very obvious penis, I was... not exactly upset, but as if I had missed out on first place and had to settle for second, sort of. Over the next 20 weeks I got used to the idea but was telling myself "Well, the next one might be a girl, it's OK".

When my beautiful little man was born, I fell head over heels in love with him and a couple of days later told my partner "I don't care if we only ever have boys, I love him so much it doesn't matter what he is". I would love to have a girl next time so I can have all those mother-daughter experiences, but man, this little guy has my whole heart and I can't imagine that I wouldn't love another boy just as much.