Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's literally the entire reason why websites make Top 10 lists. They're no-effort, low-content articles that gets huge amounts of clicks because people can't stand seeing someone be Objectively Wrong About Telelvision on the internet.

I used to post on a forum with a freelance writer from Cracked.com and he admitted that they intentionally ordered lists with the actual best, most interesting choices at the beginning of the list to get people hooked and also because it made people link and re-visit the article to argue about it.
I'd feel less bad if the people there weren't regarded as people to listen to in entertainment.

Zoller's reviews on rogerebert.com are a loving travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

I'd feel less bad if the people there weren't regarded as people to listen to in entertainment.

Zoller's reviews on rogerebert.com are a loving travesty.

It's especially shameful because Ebert hated Top 10 lists.

quote:

The plague of lists has grown much more fearsome in the age of the Internet. That isn't because website owners give a drat about lists. It's because they are obsessed with page visits. Let's say their critic lists 10 films. They could run a little list—oh, say, films Nos. 1 through 10. Nooooo, too simple. They'll supply a slideshow. Keep clicking on the right arrow to see all 10 titles while they get nine meaningless page visits and inflict carpal tunnel syndrome.

But the most insidious subterfuge of Best Lists is how they extract free work from free-lance critics. Here is a typical email I'll receive: "For the World Congress of Hot Air Ballooning, we are asking experts like yourself to choose the 10 best hot-air-balloon movies of all time, and write 50 words on each one."

I absolutely am not making this up. Here's another that I got recently: "Dear Roger, I'm working on a really great project with [network and magazine] entitled 'Best In Film.' We would be honored if you would consider being an integral part of this prime time special which will celebrate the greatest films of all time and likely be hosted by [name]....

"The good news is that it requires a minimal amount of your time. What we want are your thoughts and opinions via an online ballot on what you feel are the greatest films of all time in a number of various categories.

"I look forward to hearing from you soon and as always appreciate the consideration.

"Many thanks, [signed]"

I wrote back:

"Dear [signed], Thank you for your kind request. I made a policy long ago to never do lists. They amount to soliciting unpaid labor from experts in order to lend legitimacy to a meaningless list used to support clip packages and to sell ads. Let me predict that few great silent, foreign or little-known films will be on your show, and that after the balloting, the winner will not be 'Citizen Kane,' 'Rules of the Game,' 'Metropolis' or anything by Buster Keaton."

The good news is that [signed] hasn't written back yet.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Joss Whedon must have the hardest boner right now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's especially shameful because Ebert hated Top 10 lists.

This is tangentially related only, but I absolutely love that the TSPDT list switched from being ordered, to being alphabetical, making it less an attempt to Rank All The Films, and more just a list of a thousand awesome films. I just find that a ton more palatable, for whatever reason.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, it's official: The Friday Night Lights sequel movie is not happening.

Peter Berg, via Collider.com posted:

"There’s not gonna be a movie. We talked about it, some people thought it was a good idea, some didn’t; I’ve come to believe it’s probably not a good idea and I seriously doubt it’s gonna happen."

I was all for it, but only because Peter Berg and Jason Katims seemed all for it. If they've come around, so will I.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

drat, Julie. drat.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, it's official: The Friday Night Lights sequel movie is not happening.

I was all for it, but only because Peter Berg and Jason Katims seemed all for it. If they've come around, so will I.

Has there ever been a long-cancelled TV show that actually managed to come back as a movie in this century? For how often it gets brought up it seems like it never actually happens.

Well, except for Veronica Mars and even then it was only because they got fans to pay for the entire production.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Has there ever been a long-cancelled TV show that actually managed to come back as a movie in this century? For how often it gets brought up it seems like it never actually happens.

Well, except for Veronica Mars and even then it was only because they got fans to pay for the entire production.

Firefly

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

x-files.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Are you counting remakes? (Star Trek, A-Team, 21 Jump Street, the upcoming Addams Family, etc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_television_programs )

Dead Like Me, Serenity, etc...

feller
Jul 5, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They did one where Indiana Jones was all grown up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Omelette du Fromage posted:

They did one where Indiana Jones was all grown up.

More proof that films continuations represent, at best, Pyrrhic victories for fans of cancelled tv series. The only good film adaptations are satirical, like Land of the Lost, The Brady Bunch Movie and The Addams Family.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

More proof that films continuations represent, at best, Pyrrhic victories for fans of cancelled tv series. The only good film adaptations are satirical, like Land of the Lost, The Brady Bunch Movie and The Addams Family.

The Addams Family movies weren't satirical so much as a return to the original New Yorker strip source material.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Minor derail, has Hulu+ gotten better over the last year with things playing over media/tablet devices and not just being restricted to computers?

The only show I can't watch through my blu-ray player is a Lifetime show. I only watch scripted dramas and comedies for the most part, as opposed to game, reality, sports, or chat stuff. No idea if any of those genres tend to be limited to computers only.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I looked at Alan Sepinwall's Top 10 list he released today and it became clear to me why I don't really read anything by him anymore even though he's a good critic - for the first time maybe ever I haven't seen a single show that he picked for his Top 10. I'm sure that says a lot about me than him because I know some of the shows he picked are objectively good shows, and obviously TV is more diverse than it's ever been, but good lord am I no longer plugged in to the broader television landscape.

Then again only two shows did I watch and actively dislike (Mad Men, Hannibal), the other ones I just haven't seen at all, so perhaps there is still hope.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Rarity posted:

Now that we have subs for S2 I'm willing to throw up an OP tomorrow if nobody else is interested.

The new thread should have an ongoing Genius Game that's played within the thread.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Sophia posted:

I looked at Alan Sepinwall's Top 10 list he released today and it became clear to me why I don't really read anything by him anymore even though he's a good critic - for the first time maybe ever I haven't seen a single show that he picked for his Top 10. I'm sure that says a lot about me than him because I know some of the shows he picked are objectively good shows, and obviously TV is more diverse than it's ever been, but good lord am I no longer plugged in to the broader television landscape.

Then again only two shows did I watch and actively dislike (Mad Men, Hannibal), the other ones I just haven't seen at all, so perhaps there is still hope.

If you get the chance to check out his book, you should - some quality writing in it about some really good shows.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Sophia posted:

In the text below his video, Sepinwall talks about how the quality TV viewing landscape is so expansive right now that he had to really work to cut his list down to 10 and that his initial lists of shows he was considering was 40 long. I think it's pretty understandable why even people who enjoy his work would come up with completely different top 10 lists. I don't think it's a matter being in the loop on good TV, really.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Are you counting remakes? (Star Trek, A-Team, 21 Jump Street, the upcoming Addams Family, etc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_television_programs )

Dead Like Me, Serenity, etc...

21 Jump Street is a sequel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Are you counting remakes?

the upcoming Addams Family,

Wait for real? Who's in it. I fuckin love Addams Family.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Teek posted:

Wasn't someone going to create a Genius season 2 thread? I believe the first episode of the second season just aired. I haven't found a sub for it yet, but I've seen reports someone is working on one:

https://twitter.com/bumdidlyump

Unfortunately she just got her Youtube account yanked, as she previously had the series uploaded there.
I've been following the situation from day one. I don't really think there's enough interest to create a thread, plus season 1 is only available via torrents and season 2 is only on Daily Motion, which may not be kosher.

More importantly, there's already a Korean TV show megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476949

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 10, 2013

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Is it the final season for real?

I'm not caught up on this one yet, but they said that last time too, even after the season 3 finale aired. IIRC it was billed as series finale too on HBOGO.

I just figured it was a curb type thing where they're always saying gently caress it we're done, then months later an idea pops up and they start gearing up preproduction.

While there's always a chance that Danny McBride and Jody Hill could decide to come back for another season somewhere down the road, the last episode wrapped things up in a very conclusive way and was definitely a series finale.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sepinwall snubbed Rectify, gently caress that guy. t:mad:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

precision posted:

Sepinwall snubbed Rectify, gently caress that guy. t:mad:

You have nothing on the amount of people who ignored Enlightened until it was too late and no amount of prestigious articles could save it. Hell, it even got a mention on a high-brow literary website in LA.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been following the situation from day one. I don't really think there's enough interest to create a thread, plus season 1 is only available via torrents and season 2 is only on Daily Motion, which may not be kosher.

More importantly, there's already a Korean TV show megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476949
gently caress it, we'll do it live! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593386

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Is it the final season for real?

I just figured it was a curb type thing where they're always saying gently caress it we're done, then months later an idea pops up and they start gearing up preproduction.

They talked about it on the Nerdist podcast - Season 4 of eastbound and down was apocryphal and they didn't think it would be made in the first place. They already have another multi-season HBO project greenlighted for the entire 3-year production. I think they're not going to make anymore because it ended perfectly and Danny & Jody are writers who actually care about that sort of thing.

But then again, who knows - if someone wheels up a truckload of money they might come up with more ideas.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sex and the City. Twice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wait for real? Who's in it. I fuckin love Addams Family.

Whoever plays Gomez is going to have a hard time filling Raul Julia's shoes because he absolutely killed that role.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 10, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Apparently, it's going to be animated.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I know there's no chance in hell that it'll be done in the style of the Chas Addams cartoons but if it was I would go and see that every day for a week. I mean, unless it really sucked that is.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
CBS has this marketing thing where it produces comic book-y previews of new episodes of its shows. While it kinda works for pulpy shows like Person of Interest, it works significantly less well for sitcoms. You can't remove timing and inflection from jokes and still expect them to land. Example below of an exchange that's hilarious on television, but cringe-inducing on paper.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

CBS has this marketing thing where it produces comic book-y previews of new episodes of its shows. While it kinda works for pulpy shows like Person of Interest, it works significantly less well for sitcoms. You can't remove timing and inflection from jokes and still expect them to land. Example below of an exchange that's hilarious on television, but cringe-inducing on paper.

That exchange isn't funny in any medium.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That exchange isn't funny in any medium.

I watched one episode of 2 Broke Girls and was thinking "wow, is this what sitcoms are actually like, was I wrong for finding Friends and Seinfeld funny?" I'm guessing the answer is no but drat.

Farscape is apparently a low-budget Mass Effect TV show which is fine with me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kraps posted:

I watched one episode of 2 Broke Girls and was thinking "wow, is this what sitcoms are actually like, was I wrong for finding Friends and Seinfeld funny?" I'm guessing the answer is no but drat.

When we're in an absolute golden age for TV comedy, we need shows like 2 Broke Girls to remind us how bad it can get. The universe needs to balance itself out somehow.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Kraps posted:

Farscape is apparently a low-budget Mass Effect TV show which is fine with me.

I've been meaning to watch Farscape since one of my best friends loves it, but this comparison just sold me on it more than anything else.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Don't know about you guys but I'm ready for some Victoria Secret Fashion Show action tonight!

CBS 10:00 EST. Let's look at people who will always be better looking then ourselves!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speak for yourself, chump.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was away for a few days and just caught up on 200 or so missed posts in here. It reminded me why I love this thread. Not only do you fine folks tend to tip me off to shows not on my radar, remind me of shows that fell off my radar, or convince me to give a second chance to shows I had dismissed perhaps too soon but there's also times when this thread reassures me that I did the right thing by abandoning shows like Glee and 2 Broke Girls.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Based on the ratings I'm pretty sure I'm the only one watching it, I've been quite enjoying Hostages. It's nothing spectacular but it's serial drama, which I like more than episodic shows and I'm a big fan of Dylan McDermott. Unfortunately it's probably cancelled barring some miracle. Still, I'd recommend taking a look if you've got nothing better to do and you're into this type of show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Based on the ratings I'm pretty sure I'm the only one watching it, I've been quite enjoying Hostages. It's nothing spectacular but it's serial drama, which I like more than episodic shows and I'm a big fan of Dylan McDermott. Unfortunately it's probably cancelled barring some miracle.

That's odd because I've heard it's literally the worst show of all time.

• Locked thread