Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Amandyke posted:

$525 for an axle replacement is a complete rip off. The labor charge is OK, but that is about 6x too much for the axle itself. Rock auto has a right front half shaft assembly for $45. http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=667259&p=rock

I read that replacing an axle in a Subaru with an aftermarket part is not recommended and that I should stick with OEM especially for the axles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

MasterOfDemons posted:

Just put the stock intake back in and flashed to Stage 1 93 OCT. Seeing a bit of a different, I kind of miss the sound of my intake so I'll proably be ordering the Cobb. Still either need to take off or fix my BOV issue though.

You can get roughly the same noise out of it if you remove the silencer out of the right front quarter panel. Just need to drop the plastic mud guard and you should be able to unbolt and remove it fairly easily. Someone makes a replacement elbow to bypass the silencer if you're worried about front ram air intake.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Busy Bee posted:

I read that replacing an axle in a Subaru with an aftermarket part is not recommended and that I should stick with OEM especially for the axles.

If that were true and aftermarket axles either broke other parts or failed on a rapid/regular basis, then the aftermarkets wouldn't be selling many axles. I've never heard that though, perhaps Jamal can comment.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

Amandyke posted:

You can get roughly the same noise out of it if you remove the silencer out of the right front quarter panel. Just need to drop the plastic mud guard and you should be able to unbolt and remove it fairly easily. Someone makes a replacement elbow to bypass the silencer if you're worried about front ram air intake.

Yeah I just reassembled the stock for now and I'll be ordering the Cobb if I can sell of the injen intake.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'll second Jamal's comment regarding AEM intakes for Subarus. I have weeks of log data and the MAF readings were bang on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Busy Bee posted:

Reman axles are pretty crap, but the Cardones are brand new, not remans. I didn't have a problem with the ones I replaced for ~5k km before the car was totalled.

Make sure the axles come with new axle pins and axle nuts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So I finally decided to get some dedicated winter tires for my '06 Impreza since my commute is a fair bit longer now, went with some 15" Generals, no studs. I got a call from Tire Rack and they said that PA law just changed in October -- they said you can be failed on inspection if wheels and tires don't match the door jamb sticker. I upsized to OEM (no problem there, it let me put on some steel wheels anyway) but for the life of me I can't find online reference to this supposed new law. Anyone have any experience or knowledge here?

Here is current PA inspection law.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/SubchapterE.pdf

code:
(g) Tires and Rims - The axles of a vehicle 
specified under this subchapter shall be 
equipped with the number and type of tires 
and rims with a load rating equal to or higher 
than those offered by the manufacturer.
That's the only thing that could possibly be close to what they are talking about. "Type" is very vague and I believe the law has always been written that way. Is it possible the tires you tried to order weren't high enough load rating?

Inspection procedure only says this:

quote:

(1) Inspect the tires and wheels and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) A tire has two adjacent treads with less than 2/32-inch tread remaining at any point—less than 4/32-inch tread on the front tires of the vehicles having a gross weight in excess of 10,000 pounds.
(ii) A tire is worn so that the tread wear indicators contact the road in any two adjacent grooves.
(iii) A part of ply or cord is exposed.
(iv) A tire has been repaired with a blow-out patch or boot.
(v) There is a bump, bulge or separation.
(vi) A tire is marked “not for highway use,” “for racing purposes only” or “unsafe for highway use,” or has a similar designation.
(vii) There are other conditions or markings reasonably believed to render the tire unsafe for highway use.
(viii) A tire has been regrooved or recut below the original tread design depth except special taxicab tires which are identified as having extra undertread rubber.
(ix) A tire’s tread extends beyond the outer edge of the wheel housing inclusive of fender flares.
(x) The tires used on the same axle are not the same size or type of construction—bias, belted, radial or snow.
(xi) The wheel nuts or bolts are missing, loose or have improper thread engagement.
(xii) The stud or bolt holes are worn out of round.
(xiii) Part of the wheel is bent, cracked, welded or damaged so as to affect safe operation of vehicle.
(xiv) The rear wheel does not track front wheel in straight ahead position as originally designed.
(xv) The wheel base on one side differs from the wheel base on the other side by more than 1 inch, unless the vehicle’s design specifications indicate different left and right wheel base dimensions.
(xvi) Studded tires are in use after April 15 and before November 1.
(xvii) Retreads are on the front axle of a taxi.
(xviii) The diameter of duals is not within 3/8-inch of each other.
(xix) An axle has missing tires or rims.
(xx) A tire makes contact with the body or chassis.
(xxi) Spacers over 1/4 inch in thickness are used to increase wheel track.

Triple edit, found this.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/inspections/Safety_Bulletin_BI11-3.pdf

quote:

(xxii) A tire is smaller than the manufacturer’s recommended minimum
size or below the manufacturer’s recommended load rating.

So, not quite the door jamb, it's the manufacturer's recommended minimum size. So, you are allowed to go bigger, just not smaller for inspection. So, just use summer wheels during inspection. "Size" is open to interpretation too. Technically a 16" wheel and tire combo can be the same "size" as a 17" one.

This one seems specific to combat the "hella flush" stance.

quote:

(ix) A tire extends beyond body line, a tire is smaller than the
manufacturer’s recommended minimum size or below the manufacturer’s
recommended load rating or a tire makes contact with the body or chassis

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 10, 2013

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Amandyke posted:

$525 for an axle replacement is a complete rip off. The labor charge is OK, but that is about 6x too much for the axle itself. Rock auto has a right front half shaft assembly for $45. http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=667259&p=rock

There are some people who think that rebuilt Subaru Axels have a lot of problems. You can change them yourself in about 30 minutes, so I just swap in them remans as I break them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Both my front axles are from napa. Happy with them. Were $90ish each.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Speaking of remaned axles, I ended up dislodging the inner CV section on my passenger front side while breaking that hellish nut free from the knuckle; I seriously have no idea how it slipped past the retaining part of the cup that easily :psyduck:.

Autozone had replacements with a lifetime warranty for about $65 out the door, couldn't be happier to pay that price than try to rebuild the assembly out of frustration.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Here is current PA inspection law.

This is where I first checked after the phone call, hence the comment that I couldn't find anything online supporting it. The last portion about size was the only thing I found that was close too, and Lord knows that size in that context could mean wheel diameter, outer tire diameter, tire width, or just about anything else. But what the hell, 16s are fine -- they were in stock to ship rather than being a day out, and steel wheels were available. I was just questioning the guy's comment and wanted to see if anyone else in PA had heard anything similar.

I would ask what you're running on your car for winter tires, but being in the same state means nothing when Philadelphia can't maintain its roads for even trivial amounts of inclement weather.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Am I stupid for worrying about installing suspension on my ~120k Bugeye that's spent all it's life in Connecticut? You know, for rust.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

RE: axles

Rally car has the cheapest front axles they sell on rock auto

My wagon is getting a rock auto front axle because I don't want to change the boot.

The only argument I could see for OEM is if you have a 4eat because non-oem axles like to cause the car to shake when at stop lights due to the axle vibrating.

Still 500+ for an axle is robbery.

Yakattak posted:

Am I stupid for worrying about installing suspension on my ~120k Bugeye that's spent all it's life in Connecticut? You know, for rust.

What kind of suspension? If it's struts I wouldn't worry, but when you start loving with trailing arm lateral link stuff yer gonna need a torch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Seven years of British weather and salted roads didn't seem to make my Hawkeye at all bad. Bit of light wire brushing and some penetrating oil and it came apart really nicely.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I would ask what you're running on your car for winter tires, but being in the same state means nothing when Philadelphia can't maintain its roads for even trivial amounts of inclement weather.

They can plow the streets, but then people just dig their cars out and throw the snow back in the street.

Actually, my step-dad used to plow in Philadelphia. The city waits for it to stop snowing, then hires contractors to clean it up. Time and a half for everyone, and 30 hour shifts, hooray! It's typical for people who just dug their cars out to throw chairs and shovels at the plow drivers, angry that their car is going to get plowed back in with snow. Do you want the road cleared or not? Then there was that one time his loader hit a manhole (the whole pipe) that was for some reason sticking up out of the pavement. It stopped the loader instantly like it was nothing. He ended up with a concussion and a big gash in his forehead.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
So im looking to get winter tires for my wrx. I have been looking at getting a set of blizzaks but i have been reading good things about the dunlop wintersports. I live in nj so snowfall can be not much or a decent amount. My job requires me to be there no matter what the road conditions. I was supposed to be getting a set of rims but that fell through so Im looking at the stock 235/45R17 size. Any suggestions would be great.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Are turbo timers a terrible idea? Do decent turbo timer/remote starter combos exist for an '07 WRX?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fifty Three posted:

Are turbo timers a terrible idea? Do decent turbo timer/remote starter combos exist for an '07 WRX?

You don't need one. Pretty much every modern IHI turbo (looks like anything MY02+) is watercooled so turbo timers aren't necessary, the coolant doesn't drain away when you turn off the car and the turbo just gets cooled by convection via the coolant.

From Subaru:
"The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

All a turbo timer would do is make your car easier to steal and waste some gas. If you had a purely oil cooled turbo then it would make sense, or you could just idle for a little bit after spirited driving.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 10, 2013

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Fifty Three posted:

Not terrible, just unnecessary. Turbo Subarus have a coolant tank above the turbocharger that drains through the turbo when the car is turned off, negating the need to run the car to cool off the turbo.

Bajaha posted:

From Subaru:
"The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

Okay, so I think I understand, the reservoir functions as an air trap for the vaporized coolant. The vapor bubbles up into the reservoir, and the increase in pressure drives the coolant down into the radiator, back into the engine and through the turbo again (though in reality it probably never makes a full circuit, the pressure of the vapor is what drives it though, not the hydrostatic pressure of the coolant.)

dayman fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 10, 2013

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Regardless of turbo technology, I just don't boost for the last 30s-1m of my commute on any turbo car.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Consider me educated. Thanks for saving me money. What about remote starters? Any particular brands to look for or avoid?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
It was a winter wonderland this morning here in the Bay Area. Or at least as winter wonderland as the bay area gets...

And not a subaru

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Yakattak posted:

Are you stupid? No, after 120K I imagine a fresh suspension is going to feel great and well worth the effort. I just put the TiC rear end bushing kit on my 90K bugeye from MA and I can't believe all the good it did, I can't wait to do the suspension in full come spring. Are you masochistic? Maybe a little bit, but it just means things will take longer. I'd be prepared to replace broken bolts; I guarantee the rear knuckle lower through bolt won't come out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

Consider me educated. Thanks for saving me money. What about remote starters? Any particular brands to look for or avoid?

I got a compustar alarm and it came with a remote start function. I'm very happy with it.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Fifty Three posted:

My dealership installs a lot of AstroStarts and people really seem to like them.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I just had a CompuStar RFP2W902SP remote start installed and it's great. Especially during these terrible New England winters.

The setting of a reservation mode is a bit tricky, but once you get used to it, it's fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It just occurred to me that my leaking tap is like anti-lag for cold water.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

TheFargate posted:

So im looking to get winter tires for my wrx. I have been looking at getting a set of blizzaks but i have been reading good things about the dunlop wintersports. I live in nj so snowfall can be not much or a decent amount. My job requires me to be there no matter what the road conditions. I was supposed to be getting a set of rims but that fell through so Im looking at the stock 235/45R17 size. Any suggestions would be great.

My last winter I spent in WI was on a set of General Altimax Arctics & 16" steelies and they were absolutely incredible. A WRX with snows is the best.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I feel like I should move to some place that it actually snows so I can enjoy this winter tire and sideways driving fun. I'm getting a complex being stuck in the Georgia monotony of mediocrity. It's only saving grace is that I can get to the tail of the dragon in a few hours and the Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding roads are a short hop for me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Aflicted posted:

I feel like I should move to some place that it actually snows so I can enjoy this winter tire and sideways driving fun. I'm getting a complex being stuck in the Georgia monotony of mediocrity. It's only saving grace is that I can get to the tail of the dragon in a few hours and the Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding roads are a short hop for me.

Hey, this was my commute home.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Aflicted posted:

Be careful what you wish for. Your desire to slide can easily be satisfied by finding a local track that does skidpad events. No random morons to ruin your sideways joy ride.

Also doesn't Georgia have quite a few dirt oval tracks?

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My last winter I spent in WI was on a set of General Altimax Arctics & 16" steelies and they were absolutely incredible. A WRX with snows is the best.

Thanks ill definitely check em out. I definitely need something thatll get me through anything. I work for the power company here so when its super lovely out im more likely to be heading to work.

E: looking on tire rack i dont see a size for those thatll fit my stock rims. And im not entirely sure i can swing a set of winter rims this year.

TheFargate fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 11, 2013

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hey, this was my commute home.

That is not unlike some of my commutes to work... just no snow, and more cars.

treizebee posted:

Be careful what you wish for. Your desire to slide can easily be satisfied by finding a local track that does skidpad events. No random morons to ruin your sideways joy ride.

Also doesn't Georgia have quite a few dirt oval tracks?

There are some dirt ovals, but they are a good bit further south from me. I'm right next to Road Atlanta, which I have yet to get a chance to drive on. It seems every time there is a track day or HPDE there I am out of town on business. Actually I have had three fun cars and have yet to be in town for one event. :(

I suppose a lot of it is the "grass is greener" mentality. In reality though, I would just like to try my hand at living with some cold snowy winters because life is short and I've been in this town my whole life. I have two Subarus and a 4WD truck and no snow, just mud.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, Subaru's and snow go together like nutella and banana, peanut butter and jelly, beaches and bikinis. Although it's funny because they sound like the rattiest tractor engines on cold starts.

Here's some teaser shots of playing in the snow :)

It's days like those that make up for living in a frozen wasteland.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 11, 2013

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Not to make you even more jealous of snow hit areas Aflicted, but this belongs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPhEf5qDkk

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If I want snow in Australia I have to drive for like 2 days and there's probably 0 chance of me being able to have fun because all the open areas are ski parks. :(

I'd also have to wait 6 months but w/e

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Yeah, Subaru's and snow go together like nutella and banana, peanut butter and jelly, beaches and bikinis. Although it's funny because they sound like the rattiest tractor engines on cold starts.

Here's some teaser shots of playing in the snow :)

It's days like those that make up for living in a frozen wasteland.

I saw those in your project thread. Thanks for slapping me twice with them :) It looks like tons of fun.

treizebee posted:

Not to make you even more jealous of snow hit areas Aflicted, but this belongs here.

I see videos of guys doing this stuff on youtube and it just adds to the desire to do it. When I had my Audi it was the same thing.

Georgia isn't that bad, it honestly would be a pleasant climate if it wasn't so humid. We rarely get snow, and if the summers weren't 80% humidity then the 95-100f days wouldn't be all the intolerable. I went to Tahoe once for vacation and it was pretty much my idea of paradise with the dry summer and snowy winter. Boating, golf, backpacking for part of the year and great skiing the other part. That place is insanely expensive though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Time for a few questions...

1) How heavy is a Tribeca motor?

2) Does a STI six speed easily fit to it? How about a clutch / flywheel to the crankshaft?

3) Are the motor mounts in the approx the same position as the 2.5?

4) Has anyone actually tried to put a Tribeca motor into a 06 Impreza before?????

5) Is there such a thing as good pistons / conrods that fit in a Tribeca motor?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cat Terrist posted:

Time for a few questions...

1) How heavy is a Tribeca motor?

2) Does a STI six speed easily fit to it? How about a clutch / flywheel to the crankshaft?

3) Are the motor mounts in the approx the same position as the 2.5?

4) Has anyone actually tried to put a Tribeca motor into a 06 Impreza before?????

5) Is there such a thing as good pistons / conrods that fit in a Tribeca motor?

1) Dunno

2) yes, yes. Just use the 6-speed clutch/flywheel.

3) yes

4) yes a few guys have

5) for the 3.0 yes. For the 3.6 the rods are the hard part because of the offset deal to provide clearance. And I hear you can't just drop in a 3.0 crank to destroke it and rev to the moon because the timing gear and oil pump stuff is different.

If you have a choice I would go for the 3.0. More of the EJ stuff interchanges and there are more parts out there for it. Plus you get stronger cylinder walls and it will rev higher.

I love the sound this GC makes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnuj58lFQI

although the engine in it is an older 3.3 out of the svx. 320whp at 8200rpm.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Perrin chucked an EZ30 into an STI and even did custom pistons. http://blog.perrinperformance.com/perrin-h6-build-up/