Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

They look like something you'd see on the wall at a Chinese buffet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Forget 4.4.1, 4.4.2 is the new hotness.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/09/android-4-4-2-apparently-rolling-out/

Let's see if we can get triple 4s before the end of the year.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
^^^^^^^:argh:

What have we here:

http://android.clients.google.com/p...7d5.zip

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

SB35 posted:

So I guess it doesn't work perfectly on the N5. Does anyone have it installed on the N5? Does it work at all?

Works well enough for me. That said, I haven't had it on a phone that does have a plug-in to compare, but I definitely feel I've gotten my few dollars worth already.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Works fine on my N5. I think people aren't manually doing the settings for Lux, because it seems to go nuts if it doesn't know your preferences.

I read the description of the Galaxy and Nexus 4 plugins and it says the phones need to be rooted. Why would it need that?

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

This is a really specific question. I just got a Moto X, and when I sync it to my car over Bluetooth, audio plays fine, but it doesn't let me browse music files through the car. The only phone that's given me a list of stuff like that is a friend's iPhone 4S that I tried out. I'm assuming this is on the car's end (a 2014 Mazda with their newer touchscreen system), but is there anything with the phone I can try to enable something like that? I get all the file lists if I connect over USB, so there's always that I guess....

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Does anyone want a google glass invitation? I got an email saying I've got some to give away. You've just gotta commit to buy it within 14 days & be in the US. Just PM if interested.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

suddenlyissoon posted:

Does anyone want a google glass invitation? I got an email saying I've got some to give away. You've just gotta commit to buy it within 14 days & be in the US. Just PM if interested.

Are they still $1500? Do you think it's worth the price you paid?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Super Dude posted:

Are they still $1500? Do you think it's worth the price you paid?

Yes they are (plus tax). It depends on how integrated technology is in your life. In my case, I'm the only one who likes technology or uses it (and I'm old) so I only got to use them a couple days a week. I think they're great but $1650 great....I don't think I could justify it. I'm actually in the process of sending them back.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Verge says after the new camera update that the Nexus 5 is one of the best Android phones. It's good to see the problems were mostly with the software and can be fixed. I'm still waiting for the update to show up.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 10, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm still waiting for the update to show up.

Still, lol? It got pushed out to OTA a few hours ago. Adb sideload. Takes a few seconds.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The camera is fast as gently caress after the update. It is indeed an amazing improvement.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
I'm confused. Is this 4.4.1 or 4.4.2? I don't even have 4.4.1 yet and Google Plus (lol) is all bananas about 4.4.2.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Been waiting for the 4.4.1 update on my N5 still, let alone 4.4.2. Too lazy to ADB side load, plus I want to actually experience an OTA update, as I typically flashed in the past.

Dishonest Résumé
Nov 28, 2003

You don't mean Communists do you, Sam?
I just installed 4.4.2 on my N5 and the camera is much much faster. The camera was the only thing hampering my enjoyment of this phone, and that problem has been totally fixed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, there's a bug with the Moto X and AIO Wireless that has it so the phone doesn't play nice with AIO Wireless' APN settings. Bascially, the phone has to reboot every day if you leave it on WiFi as it will lose cellular signal:

Someone on XDA looked into it after he was having issues with his phone after updating to 4.4 on his Moto X. He brought it up on G+ and someone who works for Motorola came back with this:

Kirk Stromberg posted:

+Chad Mueller +Matt Jones +Eric Christensen
Hi Chad, we've got some investigations going on but the short version: don't send your phone back. AIO is not officially supported on Moto X and the builds don't include their APN settings, but obviously the manual APN settings were working on the Jelly Bean build. We'll have to investigate why they aren't working on the KitKat build, and this may involve working with folks at the carriers (might not be able to reach them until Monday). Okay? Hang in there and please share any other tidbits or troubleshooting - we're watching the XDA thread as well.

https://plus.google.com/+ChadMueller/posts/CFrocos9gGZ

The thread in question that Motorola is watching:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2526723

Apparently none of this happened on Jelly Bean Moto X, just Kit Kat. Didn't know GSM phones could chose what carrier to actually support down to the APN settings...huh.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 10, 2013

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
After watching this thread for a while, I bought a Moto X as my first Android phone. My previous three smartphones were all work-provided IPhones. Out of the box, the Moto X was the best phone I've used in years. I had no complaints: all the basic stuff worked great, and the touchless controls are very cool. The only thing I didn't like from the start is that "Driving Mode" disables Bluetooth completely. It's great for people without Bluetooth in their cars, but it'd be nice if it could read texts and the other driving mode interactions over Bluetooth audio.

The 4.4 update, however, has hurt it badly for me. Things that worked and now don't:

-Email client while synced to an Exchange 2010 server. It has crashed at least 5x now since updating. Zero crashes before that. In addition, it will often stop displaying new email in the inbox until I quit the app and restart it. Gmail continues to work fine.

-Voicemail indicator. It has been notifying me of "new" voicemails steadily going back in time. Every time I delete them I get more notifications a few hours later. I'm back to deleting voicemails from August at this point.

-Bluetooth. It has stopped reliably pairing with my truck. It now pairs only about 20% of the time.

So instead of coming in here and giving it my wholehearted endorsement as an awesome phone, all I can say is meh. Very frustrating to have it regress. Hopefully they get some smaller updates out the door quickly -- I see the voicemail issue is addressed in those 4.4.2 change notes for the N4/N5.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

KS posted:

After watching this thread for a while, I bought a Moto X as my first Android phone. My previous three smartphones were all work-provided IPhones. Out of the box, the Moto X was the best phone I've used in years. I had no complaints: all the basic stuff worked great, and the touchless controls are very cool. The only thing I didn't like from the start is that "Driving Mode" disables Bluetooth completely. It's great for people without Bluetooth in their cars, but it'd be nice if it could read texts and the other driving mode interactions over Bluetooth audio.

The 4.4 update, however, has hurt it badly for me. Things that worked and now don't:

-Email client while synced to an Exchange 2010 server. It has crashed at least 5x now since updating. Zero crashes before that. In addition, it will often stop displaying new email in the inbox until I quit the app and restart it. Gmail continues to work fine.

-Voicemail indicator. It has been notifying me of "new" voicemails steadily going back in time. Every time I delete them I get more notifications a few hours later. I'm back to deleting voicemails from August at this point.

-Bluetooth. It has stopped reliably pairing with my truck. It now pairs only about 20% of the time.

So instead of coming in here and giving it my wholehearted endorsement as an awesome phone, all I can say is meh. Very frustrating to have it regress. Hopefully they get some smaller updates out the door quickly -- I see the voicemail issue is addressed in those 4.4.2 change notes for the N4/N5.

4.4.2 change log mentioned a fix for voice mail notification so at least that one is probably fixed

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

This also works with the Moto G. Really confused me today when i rebooted the phone...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KS posted:

That's pretty disappointing.

I didn't even think that Driving Mode would disable BT. That seems very stupid and now makes me question my plans to order one next week.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
One thing I miss on my N5 is the dialer shortcut to my voice mail. Also functioning voice mail notifications.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

KS posted:

The only thing I didn't like from the start is that "Driving Mode" disables Bluetooth completely.

Thermopyle posted:

I didn't even think that Driving Mode would disable BT. That seems very stupid and now makes me question my plans to order one next week.

Really? Motorola's literature seems to indicate that Driving Mode utilizes Bluetooth:

quote:

If the device is paired and connected to a Bluetooth device, Assist will yield to the BT device to handle incoming phone calls. You should use the BT device’s built-in call announce feature (if available) to handle incoming calls if you BT device supports this feature.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

On my MAXX Bluetooth works fine in Driving Mode.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Even after 4.4.2 on my Nexus 5 I still have a problem with every audio application keeping the audio thread active after it closes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, unless it's something introduced in 4.4, which my Maxx doesn't have yet, driving mode and bluetooth work just fine. I use both every day without a problem, and everything with driving mode works, like the call/text announcement.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Why are you such a liar, KS?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Wow, I'll have to try it again. Maybe it's related to my phone's sudden inability since 4.4 to pair reliably in the first place. Thanks.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Does anyone else have pretty bad reception with the N5? Where my Samsung Galaxy S II managed H/3G indoors my N5 struggles to get Edge, sometimes even only GPRS. Outside it's better, but still worse than before. European bands if that's any difference.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I got my Moto X in the mail tonight. Some initial pains trying to get my Google Play account working with the device aside, I'm absolutely floored.

I haven't had this much fun with playing with a new toy in... forever, really. Even past the "new phone" enjoyment, this thing truly is a cut above. The screen, despite being "only" 720p, looks fantastic. I think I can see where pixels start and end if I look really really close at the letters, but honestly when using the phone normally it looks perfect. Also, the speaker is nice and loud, while still having a great sound to it.

Huge thanks to everyone who recommended the Moto X here. Now all I need is Kitkat...

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
For those with the Moto X (specifically on Sprint, or still running 4.2.2): Does anyone have issues with "Android OS" using up a shitload of battery (anywhere between 20-40%)? I don't know why, but this started a few days ago. An initial Google search tells me that it's something with Wi-Fi and a kworker process, however, I've always kept my Wi-Fi on and "Android OS" never drained that much battery. It's only cropped up within the past few days (and I've owned my Moto X for a few weeks now).

I'm trying to figure out which apps I've installed recently that could be doing this but, I'm stumped.

Anyone have this problem as well, or know how to fix it? Thanks!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My RMA N5 finally came, and all issues are fixed, I'm so happy! If you have any issues like I did (I reported the wobbly power button and got an instant RMA), contact them and get a replacement!

-power button is not wobbly, very firm
-no more stuck pixel!
-no more wonky radio issues!
-vibration motor must have been hosed on my old one, because this new one is way quicker and stronger

Google Support was insanely helpful with this, that was my only experience with them so far and they were awesome. UPS can go gently caress themselves though.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I'm having a whole hell of a lot of trouble getting my USB tether to work properly. It seems like it only works when USB debugging is turned on, and it keeps freezing up for no apparent reason. Like, network connections will flat out not refresh for a good 3 minutes and then it'll start working again for a few seconds and then it stops working again.

Using Windows 8 and a Nexus 5.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Okay, it seems to be working now. I still need USB debugging on, though. Fixed it by changing my APN protocol to IPv4.

Seriously though, why should I need USB debugging on? Makes no sense. Oh well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Decius posted:

Does anyone else have pretty bad reception with the N5? Where my Samsung Galaxy S II managed H/3G indoors my N5 struggles to get Edge, sometimes even only GPRS. Outside it's better, but still worse than before. European bands if that's any difference.
Just the opposite. I've had all the Nexuses and none of them, not one, has gotten a signal at my desk at work. I've always just kept them in Airplane mode all night. The N5 not only gets a signal but gets a strong one. The same is true with many low-signal areas I'm aware of near me. I know the Galaxy Nexus had a lovely radio (both wifi and cell) and the Nexus S had a lovely wifi radio but good cell radio but the Nexus 5 is by far the best radio performance I've had all around. It's stellar.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Moto X chat: I know I'm over a month late on this, but I just got and watched their Windy Day demo, and I have to say, that was absolutely cool. I wish more people did awesome demos like that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Moto X works great as intended. Bluetooth works fine in driving mode. I just need something to change my volume settings for me since I have my phone on vibrate most of the time, and I want to be able to hear texts being read to me in the car.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Moto X chat: I know I'm over a month late on this, but I just got and watched their Windy Day demo, and I have to say, that was absolutely cool. I wish more people did awesome demos like that.

I thought that was the coolest use of the positioning sensors in the phone yet. Just make sure you have plenty of room to move around to keep the camera focused on the action.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
For those who already have 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 is the camera actually usable now in normal mode or is hdr+ still the way to go most of the time?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Benjamin Black posted:

Okay, it seems to be working now. I still need USB debugging on, though. Fixed it by changing my APN protocol to IPv4.

Seriously though, why should I need USB debugging on? Makes no sense. Oh well.
It could be a driver issue, since Windows will often use a different driver when ADB is switched on. In Device Manager you'll probably see that it has a different name.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I feel jipped :( I got the 4.4.2 update notification and hit apply. After it rebooted to install I got an "Error :(" message, did a forced reboot and the update is gone.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Ashex posted:

I feel jipped :( I got the 4.4.2 update notification and hit apply. After it rebooted to install I got an "Error :(" message, did a forced reboot and the update is gone.

Edit: Downloaded the OTA and tried applying it directly via clockwork. This is the message:

Package expects build fingerprint of google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4.1/KOT49E/926649:user/release-keys or google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4.2/KOT49H/937116:user/release-keys; this device has google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4/KRT16M/893802:user/release-keys

Do you have a custom recovery installed at all, or anything like xposed framework? They could stop the installation of OTAs.

• Locked thread