Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried either of the Devil Survivor games on the 3DS?

Yup, unfortunately. They'd be a good recommendation if I hadn't.

dis astranagant posted:

Vanguard Bandits on the ps1 has long been my go to oddball SRPG no one plays. No grinding, a fair bit of customization and a cast that refuses to take itself seriously. And Escaflowne-esque magic robot sword fighting.

This sounds pretty darn entertaining though.

Lewd Mangabey posted:

One game to look into is Gladius, which was released for PS2 and Xbox (but never got a forward-compatability patch for Xbox 360). The setting is pseudo-Roman empire meets somewhat non-generic fantasy world, and the plot is that you're making a gladiator school and touring it around the world to win fabulous prizes and FULFILL YOUR DESTINY.

And this sounds good too. Thanks for the recommendations all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Lewd Mangabey posted:

One game to look into is Gladius,

Oh snap I forgot about that game, back in college a couple of friends and I would play it every night, collectively deciding on how our gladiator adventure would go. It was really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUqV7RXLvA&t=55s

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'm looking for a good, lesser-known SPRG. Preferably with a somewhat heavier focus on in battle tactics than building your characters. Less Disgaea, more Fire Emblem, so to speak. Not that it has to be as streamlined as Fire Emblem, just not Disgaea levels.

e: I suppose I should mention that platform isn't an issue.

Battle for Wesnoth for PC/Mac might be up your alley. Even one step further in the Fire Emblem direction; units can typically only promote into better units a couple times (often with a fork or two). Uni death is permanent.

It's more strategy game than sRPG, but I enjoyed it for similar reasons as I did the Fire Emblem series,

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm always looking for some good games where you get to fight with melee weapons, preferably against large numbers of enemies and with an emphasis on difficulty and technique. I loved the first Ninja Gaiden on xbox so that's roughly what I want. Of course it shouldn't be based around QTE's or "cinematic" poo poo, just straight up fighting, blocking, kicking, ripostes, maybe throw in a gun or two, stuff like that. I don't really care what setting it is in, as long as the fighting itself feels cool and responsive.

I remember watching this and wanting to play it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmZpAdxdBJI
... until I got really disappointed that it was just another turn based numbers game. I want to be able to actually do this kind of thing in a real game.

I've tried Devil May Cry but it just didn't feel right (hard to explain why, though). I like Chivalry but I've played it so much that I'm kinda done with it now. Are there any games that I'm overlooking?

I own a PC, a 360 and a gamecube, but I can probably easily get a PS2 or PS3.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Have you tried the re-imagining of Shadow Warrior. The first person sword fighting in it is rather good and then it's combined with guns, sword skill specials and magic techniques.

I was surprised at the game's depth when you go in expecting something that's just silliness.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Have you tried the re-imagining of Shadow Warrior. The first person sword fighting in it is rather good and then it's combined with guns, sword skill specials and magic techniques.

I was surprised at the game's depth when you go in expecting something that's just silliness.

drat it, I considered buying it in the last steam sale but didn't, exactly because I thought it would just be silly. Maybe it'll go on sale again. Thanks anyway.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Shibawanko posted:

I'm always looking for some good games where you get to fight with melee weapons, preferably against large numbers of enemies and with an emphasis on difficulty and technique. I loved the first Ninja Gaiden on xbox so that's roughly what I want. Of course it shouldn't be based around QTE's or "cinematic" poo poo, just straight up fighting, blocking, kicking, ripostes, maybe throw in a gun or two, stuff like that. I don't really care what setting it is in, as long as the fighting itself feels cool and responsive.

... until I got really disappointed that it was just another turn based numbers game. I want to be able to actually do this kind of thing in a real game.

I've tried Devil May Cry but it just didn't feel right (hard to explain why, though). I like Chivalry but I've played it so much that I'm kinda done with it now. Are there any games that I'm overlooking?

You may enjoy Bayonetta. There is the occasional qte style button mash but they're in the service of some of the most over the top boss battles. It's a spectacle.

God Hand may appeal to you, though that too has a high degree of ridiculous. Not as good as Bayonetta.

God of War, though again, some QTEs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

drat it, I considered buying it in the last steam sale but didn't, exactly because I thought it would just be silly. Maybe it'll go on sale again. Thanks anyway.

It should be on sale during the winter sale starting on the 19th.

Also, make sure you buy the one just called Shadow Warrior (regular price 40$) and not the "Classic Redux" which is just a high res port of the original game.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm looking for some coop games I can play with my girlfriend who is now officially 'making an effort' to play games with me as a way of spending more time together.

So I have Rayman legends and origins, are there other good 360 coops like those?

Other stuff would be story heavy gameplay lite stuff we can watch together. Walking dead is so far going down well, so I think that's something worth following up.

No guns or bloody dismemberment, as much as I like those things. Super over sexualised women characters also a bad move. Any help much appreciated.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

lenoon posted:

I'm looking for some coop games I can play with my girlfriend who is now officially 'making an effort' to play games with me as a way of spending more time together.

So I have Rayman legends and origins, are there other good 360 coops like those?

Other stuff would be story heavy gameplay lite stuff we can watch together. Walking dead is so far going down well, so I think that's something worth following up.

No guns or bloody dismemberment, as much as I like those things. Super over sexualised women characters also a bad move. Any help much appreciated.

My wife has no reflexes and freaks out if too many things are happening at once, but she really liked:

1) Magicka co-op (she calls it "silly wizards")
2) Mass Effect on easiest difficulty and cheats for the sci fi story
3) Minecraft, since it's slow-paced and relaxing
4) Telling me how to play Crusader Kings 2 (likes the medieval intrigue, stabbing, and hosed up incest)

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Shibawanko posted:

Unironically :darksouls: ?

If you want melee fighting as a part of a larger battle, give Mount & Blade series a try. It's not graphically impressive but a lot of fun gathering and upgrading your company and directing them in real time, while fighting dudes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

lenoon posted:

Any of the LEGO games. LOTR, Marvel and Lego Batman 2 are the best but pick up the ones in series that interest you. The only really awful one is the Pirates of the Carribean one.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some more games that feature realistic damage/injuries to enemies (and sometimes yourself), but aren't realism sims like ARMA? Examples of games like this that I've enjoyed are the Bushido Blade series, Soldier of Fortune 2, Binary Domain, and the STALKER games. Just looking for something new that is similar to any of those types of games. I've gotten tired of games where enemies take more damage than they should, and just keep fighting you the same way without suffering any ill effects until their HP reaches 0.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for really fun open ended RPGs, like New Vegas, The Witcher, The Walking Dead, Binary Domain, Alpha Protocol, Jade Empire, (Anything by Bioware for example.) That aren't very well known, indy titles or games that had shaky releases. I feel like I've played all the well known ones, so I'm looking under rocks now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for really fun open ended RPGs, like New Vegas, The Witcher, The Walking Dead, Binary Domain, Alpha Protocol, Jade Empire, (Anything by Bioware for example.) That aren't very well known, indy titles or games that had shaky releases. I feel like I've played all the well known ones, so I'm looking under rocks now.

The Game of Thrones RPG on steam is actually fairly decent (it's about as janky as Witcher 1 if you deal with that.)

There's also Divinity 2: The Developer Cut which is basically a 3rd person Skyrim with a great sense of humour.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Turtlicious posted:

open ended RPGs, like <snip> The Walking Dead, Binary Domain

Wha? I mean, those are great games that I love, but.. they're kind of neither?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wha? I mean, those are great games that I love, but.. they're kind of neither?

I'm talking about the Double Fine walking Dead, which was a pretty open ended RPG, and Binary Domain had a bunch of RPG aspects right? Like I remember a bunch of loyalty stuff you had too do and it'd affect the outcome of the game.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Turtlicious posted:

Based on the games you've already mentioned, you've probably already played Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, but if not, that game would be right up your alley (fun, open ended, shakiest of releases).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I'm talking about the Double Fine walking Dead, which was a pretty open ended RPG, and Binary Domain had a bunch of RPG aspects right? Like I remember a bunch of loyalty stuff you had too do and it'd affect the outcome of the game.

I'll be honest, I don't know what Walking Dead game you're talking about - all I know of is the Telltale and Activision ones. Binary Domain had.. well, the loyalty stuff was there, yeah. I wouldn't really attribute that to RPG-ness, but I can see where you're coming from.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can argue Telltale Walking Dead is a roleplaying game in the sense that you roleplay as Lee and decide on his personality and the like it just doesn't have the usual RPG combat.

In that case I would suggest Planescape: Torment and KRZ,though the latter isn't done yet.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Mokinokaro posted:

The Game of Thrones RPG on steam is actually fairly decent (it's about as janky as Witcher 1 if you deal with that.)

I got it when we had the discussion in the GoT thread, and I'm just not feeling it. Yeah the dialogue and setting are better than most recent RPG-fare, but the gameplay is some of the least creative or fun that I've seen in the whole genre. The dialogue and story are good but not nearly enough where I could recommend someone putting up with the rest of the game - it'd be better watched as a let's play. Comparing it to Witcher 1 just doesn't feel fair to Witcher 1 to me.

But yeah, Divinity 2 is probably what you're looking for, Turtlicious.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 9, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

MrSmokes posted:

What are some more games that feature realistic damage/injuries to enemies (and sometimes yourself), but aren't realism sims like ARMA? Examples of games like this that I've enjoyed are the Bushido Blade series, Soldier of Fortune 2, Binary Domain, and the STALKER games. Just looking for something new that is similar to any of those types of games. I've gotten tired of games where enemies take more damage than they should, and just keep fighting you the same way without suffering any ill effects until their HP reaches 0.

Metal Gear Solid 3 had stuff like this. Where you shot the enemy mattered, you could shoot them in the radio so that they can't call for help. When *you* are beat up / shot up, the wounds are specific and need to be taken care of with your own surgical supplies. Styptic to stop the bleeding, disinfectant, bandages, etc. Maybe you don't have enough supplies, so you choose which wounds to leave open.

For all of MGS being a completely ludicrous fantasy at times, the nuts and bolts gameplay can be surprisingly grounded.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
I've been playing through the Parodius series and loving it; I'm looking for more games with a similar out-there atmosphere, preferably shmups but any genre besides RPGs is great, too. Any suggestions?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Based on the games you've already mentioned, you've probably already played Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, but if not, that game would be right up your alley (fun, open ended, shakiest of releases).

Definitely this, if you haven't played this yet it's right up your alley Turtlicious. This is one of the few games I wish I could go back and play again for the first time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm looking for something to scratch a life sim itch. I men something along the lines of The Sims, Creatures, or Wonder Project J. I'd say pet game, but, well, that'd limit me a bit. realize that there's a bit broad, but observant people might notice that I'm looking for something with a bit of depth and unpredictability. Not like Dogz or such, but something I can really engage with.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mick Swagger posted:

I've been playing through the Parodius series and loving it; I'm looking for more games with a similar out-there atmosphere, preferably shmups but any genre besides RPGs is great, too. Any suggestions?

Shmups: Keio Flying Squadron (Sega CD), Harmful Park (PS1), Toilet Kids (TurboGrafx), as well as the entire Cho Aniki series
Beat-'em-ups: Nekketsu Oyako (Saturn/PS1), Pu-Li-Ru-La (Arcade/Saturn, preferably the Japanese version), Growl (Arcade, don't bother with the Genesis version)
Other misc. recommendations: Photograph Boy (TurboGrafx), Kato and Ken-chan (TurboGrafx), Trio the Punch: Never Forget Me (Arcade), Utsurun Desu (NES)

My #1 recommendation would be Panic! (Sega CD), a unique maze game based entirely on this sort of silly Japanese humor. The Japanese version (Switch) has a couple of scenes deleted from the American release (cigarette vending machine, and computer with Japanese keyboard), and was rereleased on PS2 with some amusing censorship—rather than blow up internationally famous landmarks, the booby trap buttons now cause them to have diarrhea.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 10, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SheepNameKiller posted:

Definitely this, if you haven't played this yet it's right up your alley Turtlicious. This is one of the few games I wish I could go back and play again for the first time.
This and the Deus Ex games are my "gently caress it, it's raining, let's do another run of it," games. I absolutely LOVE Bloodlines

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'll be honest, I don't know what Walking Dead game you're talking about - all I know of is the Telltale and Activision ones. Binary Domain had.. well, the loyalty stuff was there, yeah. I wouldn't really attribute that to RPG-ness, but I can see where you're coming from.
In my personal opinion, RPGs are games where what you do has a specific and deliberate consequence on the outcome of the story of the game. In TWD the decisions you make with Lee decides who is there, who isn't, and his personality. In Binary Domain, it affects the kind of endings you have and has loyalty levels / unique dialogue depending on decisions you make. I'm looking for a bit of escapism I guess, I'm not very good for video games, so I generally crank the difficulty down to "Dirty Casual" and see what kind of story is there for me.

MrBims posted:

I got it when we had the discussion in the GoT thread, and I'm just not feeling it. Yeah the dialogue and setting are better than most recent RPG-fare, but the gameplay is some of the least creative or fun that I've seen in the whole genre. The dialogue and story are good but not nearly enough where I could recommend someone putting up with the rest of the game - it'd be better watched as a let's play. Comparing it to Witcher 1 just doesn't feel fair to Witcher 1 to me.

But yeah, Divinity 2 is probably what you're looking for, Turtlicious.

I'll definitely try both, I'll pick up GoT during the christmas sale and look at Divinity right now. I also loved the Witcher but it was definitely a bit too hard for me until it clicked.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

^^^ Can you play on a console? If so, have you played Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? I think it might be worth buying a cheap last gen console just for that game if you really really like open world RPGs. It's a god drat shame it's never coming to PC.

Which recent fighting games have a good single player mode? I think I recall Soul Calibur and Street Fighter Alpha 3 having pretty nifty "world tour" modes.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you have a PSP/PS Vita, the Dissidia games have a pretty hefty single-player mode. May be out on a regular PS3, I haven't checked.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fozzy fosbourne posted:

^^^ Can you play on a console? If so, have you played Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? I think it might be worth buying a cheap last gen console just for that game if you really really like open world RPGs. It's a god drat shame it's never coming to PC.

Which recent fighting games have a good single player mode? I think I recall Soul Calibur and Street Fighter Alpha 3 having pretty nifty "world tour" modes.

Nope PC Only

Mortal Kombat vs DC has a pretty great story mode, or any of the Wrestling Games, though they're not as indepth when it comes to the gameplay.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mick Swagger posted:

Dynamite Headdy for the Genesis should be right up your alley. I'd personally recommend getting your hands on the Japanese version and a translation patch, since the localization made some weird alterations like arbitrarily making some parts harder and outright getting rid of dialog.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

In my personal opinion, RPGs are games where what you do has a specific and deliberate consequence on the outcome of the story of the game. In TWD the decisions you make with Lee decides who is there, who isn't, and his personality. In Binary Domain, it affects the kind of endings you have and has loyalty levels / unique dialogue depending on decisions you make. I'm looking for a bit of escapism I guess, I'm not very good for video games, so I generally crank the difficulty down to "Dirty Casual" and see what kind of story is there for me.

Nah, I totally get that, just that my interpretation of RPGs usually means "Numbers! Lots of numbers! Ooooh you'll poo poo yourself with how many numbers you'll see!", but you're right that BD and TWD are RPGs in that way, too.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
On the topic of RPGs, it kind of got lost on the last page, but are there any notable RPGs that take place in a modern day setting? Been playing Persona 4 and The World Ends with You recently, and quite enjoying them. Something similar to Earthbound works too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Inadequately posted:

On the topic of RPGs, it kind of got lost on the last page, but are there any notable RPGs that take place in a modern day setting? Been playing Persona 4 and The World Ends with You recently, and quite enjoying them. Something similar to Earthbound works too.
Alpha Protocol is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Secret World, too.. kind of.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Secret World, too.. kind of.

Vampire: Bloodlines, sooooort of

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Final Fantasy 8? :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Inadequately posted:

The entire SMT series takes place in the modern day, but not always in a realistic setting. The Persona games are usually just normal, slice of life real world with weird stuff in the background like you've seen. The mainline SMT games are always in modern Tokyo, but usually after an apocalypse or something :v: Nocturne is for PS2 and hard to find, the most recent SMT4 is for 3DS. The SMT: Devil Survivor games (DS) take place in modern tokyo WHILE the apocalypse is happening. They're grid based SRPGs though, so less running around talking to people, more fighting and choosing menu options to select where to go outside of combat.

None of them feel as real world as Persona 4 though. Persona 3 also had you going to highschool and making friends except your party members included a dog, elementary schoolkid, and robot.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I need a game recommendation for my gf and I. I'm looking for a 360 game that is co-operative and NOT in first person. She has trouble using two sticks with the look/move thing. She's usually ok with behind the back/over shoulder stuff, side scrollers are great. Something along the lines of Castle Crashers would be nice, and I was also thinking of the Lego games. No Gears of War/ Army of Two or anything too fast paced. I just need a chill fun game.

Secondly, we've been playing Walking Dead Season 1. Any other strong, well written story games that we could alternate playing/watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Waroduce posted:

I need a game recommendation for my gf and I. I'm looking for a 360 game that is co-operative and NOT in first person. She has trouble using two sticks with the look/move thing. She's usually ok with behind the back/over shoulder stuff, side scrollers are great. Something along the lines of Castle Crashers would be nice, and I was also thinking of the Lego games. No Gears of War/ Army of Two or anything too fast paced. I just need a chill fun game.

Earth Defense Force 2017. It can get hectic, but it's very much the kind of game where you just zone out and shoot things. Like, a LOT.

I am dumb and didn't see that she had trouble with look/move. Rayman Origins/Legends?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 10, 2013