Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Highwang posted:

So I'm not sure if I should post this in Tech or here so I'm gonna go on a gambit and try here.

My mic picks up my mechanical keyboard clicks and desk vibrations pretty easily through my desk mic stand, and its getting somewhat annoying during streaming and some other things. Would getting a stage mic stand with the extended arm help to mitigate the keyboard sounds from coming through to my mic? I'm trying to gauge if its worth the $20-30 cost.

I'm using an ATR2100-USB for context.

There's one sure fire thing that will always reduce keyboard sound and it's super low tech that. Cover your keyboard and mouse with a folded towel while playing (with your hands under it obviously.) Just having about a half inch of insulation from the towel will prevent the mic from picking up the sound. It won't help with the desk vibrations though. Personally I think you're best (ie cheapest) option is to get a floor stand with a boom arm. You can pick one up for about 25 bucks. This is assuming that your mic clip can attach to a standard mic stand. I know some "podcasting" mics don't tend to have that option. A shockmount would help, but they tend to be as expensive as a stand and you have to be sure your mic will fit it. Audio Technica makes a universal shockmount that I've heard good things about, but it's around 50 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I didn't get any additional feedback on my sound edits, so I'm hoping everything is good in regards to the video. Just double checking and making sure my op isn't too bad before I make the thread.

Let's Play Solar 2 [VLP]

About the Game
Solar 2 was created by Jay Watts under the dev name Murudai and was released in 2011 for PC and XBLIG (later ported over to iOS and Android). It's a sandbox/open world type game with some decent astronomical physics where you start off life as an asteroid and grow into planets and eventually stars. A bunch of missions that are only accessible to you when your object is a certain size are what makes it an open world game. You are given the missions and guided through the world by a snarky god who adds quite a bit of humor. The music is also very good and atmospheric (courtesy of JP Neufeld) and one mission in particular stands out.

You may be wondering about the first Solar game. Well, it was released on XBLIG in 2009 and it was basically a bare bones protoype version of what Solar 2 is, so this is pretty much the first game anyways. Unfortunately I don't have an XBox so I can't show you that. I was able to find what is described by Jay Watts as a "dumbed down" version of Solar 1 which is more a sort of time trial than anything. I'll be showing that off in a bonus video later on.

About Not the Game
This will be done with sparse voice commentary for the most part.
There's not a lot to spoil about astronomy, but please try to not talk about the missions or the reward mentioned in the first video until we get to them.

Videos
The first thing we get to play as is...

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 9, 2013

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Saw about 5 minutes of this to get a general idea.

For one, your sound balancing is a bit off. Game comes off way louder than you at times and I kinda struggle to interpret what you say. Might need to lower game audio in your movie editor.

Another jarring issue is the pop in your voice when you make "puh" sounds. I don' think a pop filter is necessary however, you can probably shift your mic in a way that won't get hit by the pressure wave from your voice.

Finally, this is probably a personal opinion more than anything, but you sound bored. Get a little hyped up before your recording, get the blood flowing. Its hard to keep a viewer's attention when you yourself sound like you're on the verge of sleeping.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I disagree with Highwang about the general sound of your voice. It's chill, and Solar 2 is a chill game. I'd agree you'd need to be a tadge louder. But not a whole lot. Otherwise, no technical probs I can see, and the OP is short, to the point, and still covers all the non-spoilery stuff. So yeah, looks like you're good!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've wanted to ask, for longer games that might require multiple playthroughs to figure everything out before you actually start an LP, how do you avoid eventual burnout? Is it best to try and look up things online first before doing them for yourself?
Also, has there ever been an LP of a match 3/4/5 game? Not something silly like Bejewled but the ones with more intricate RPG like mechanics. I have a specific game in mind and I'm wondering whether it'd be more appropriate in video or screenshot format since these kinds of games are repetitive even when there is extra action going on. Or would this kind of game simply not be worth it?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HGH posted:

I've wanted to ask, for longer games that might require multiple playthroughs to figure everything out before you actually start an LP, how do you avoid eventual burnout? Is it best to try and look up things online first before doing them for yourself?

There is that, but I'd say the most surefire way to avoid burnout is to make sure that the game actually is enjoyable to LP, or if not, enjoyable to mock/point out its flaws. Honestly, if either of those two elements are present, then all you really need to worry about is real life kicking you in the rear end.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

HGH posted:

Also, has there ever been an LP of a match 3/4/5 game? Not something silly like Bejewled but the ones with more intricate RPG like mechanics. I have a specific game in mind and I'm wondering whether it'd be more appropriate in video or screenshot format since these kinds of games are repetitive even when there is extra action going on. Or would this kind of game simply not be worth it?

I'm new to LPing, but I almost felt burnout playing Heretic. The way I got around it was taking a break from it for a few days and coming back to it later. Alternatively, you could just play the game normally. Sometimes playing it without having to record or make commentary - and just enjoying it, can help out a lot.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HGH posted:

Burnout is a threat in any game you want to LP. Even if you love the game or franchise or whatever the little quirks and glitches in the game can drive you nuts. Multiple playthroughs of a game to cover all the collectables or different endings can be especially maddening. There's not much you can do to avoid it, besides playing the game in small bites as the practice run and then doing longer sections for the LP or vice versa. It means you won't be slogging through on at least one run.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

WizFish posted:

I still fully plan to participate in this community... whether people like me or not.

...do you know what a community is?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

HGH posted:

LP burnout

Honestly burnout is just a thing that's going to happen. Like those guys said, having it be a game you enjoy will definitely help, but even then if you're playing the same game for almost a year, you'll start to get sick of it. What I've found helps is doing LP work in bursts. Practice/Record like 3 episodes at a time, take a couple days off, edit them all, break, commentary, break, audio editing. It takes time but you won't feel bogged down by it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
e: The sandcastle continues to not be the Tech Support Fort.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Honestly burnout is just a thing that's going to happen. Like those guys said, having it be a game you enjoy will definitely help, but even then if you're playing the same game for almost a year, you'll start to get sick of it. What I've found helps is doing LP work in bursts. Practice/Record like 3 episodes at a time, take a couple days off, edit them all, break, commentary, break, audio editing. It takes time but you won't feel bogged down by it.

Yeah, this is good advice for recording the games. In the last two LPs I've done I recorded Saturday morning/afternoon and then edited Sunday. I also built a backlog (and have one now) in case I missed a day or if I just wasn't feeling up to playing the game that day. Giving yourself a week between recordings really does make it easier to get through the game with less chance of burnout because you aren't grinding out video every day.

WizFish posted:

I still fully plan to participate in this community and enjoy myself, whether people like me or not. There has been no harm done.

I'm going to make facecam LPs and post them here whether you want to see them or not. That's how that read.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Lazyfire posted:

I'm going to make facecam LPs and post them here whether you want to see them or not. That's how that read.

To be fair, he's not wrong. He paid his 10bux, and the Sandcastle isn't a prestigious gatekeeper that determines whether or not you're allowed to post in the sanctuary that is LP. Is he going to have a really small audience? Sure. But we did our job - if he doesn't want to take the advice, then he can go ahead and post his thread and whatever happens will happen.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

I gotta be honest, I didn't read it that way.

He made a post, it wasn't well received, that's that. There's no reason to hound him until he's fully out the door. Maybe he'll make poo poo that'll fly better here, who knows but:

Artix posted:

the Sandcastle isn't a prestigious gatekeeper that determines whether or not you're allowed to post in the sanctuary that is LP

Yeah.

Let's not keep dredging this. (that the right word?)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Slowbeef posted:

In the context of "bringing something up", "to dredge" would be a proper term to use, although it's definitely an uncommon term in that regard.

On the topic of LP burnout, my personal surefire way to avoid it is to have four things be true:

1) You have a hard purpose of LPing the game. Something that goes beyond "because it's fun". Usually, that's the case, since an LP is a pretty big undertaking for a game that's just "fun".
2) You don't give yourself a schedule, at all, not even in your head. Because at some point, you're going to near a deadline you set up for yourself and you're going to force yourself to still make it, and once you do it once, it'll happen again and again, because your original enthusiasm you had when you put that deadline down isn't there anymore, and your speed is going to drop.
3) You can't force yourself through certain things in the game just for the sake of the LP. In some cases, this can work out, but still, if you're doing something simply for the lP's sake, it ceases to be something you're doing out of "your own volition" (for lack of a better term), and you're risking breaking at one point and asking yourself "why the gently caress am I still doing this?". It's the difference between "I should do this because the LP isn't complete without it" and "I should do this because I think this is a good idea to incorporate into the LP".
4) If real life occurs, drop the lP until real life ceases to occur. Otherwise, it'll take a toll on your writing, it'll take a toll on your speaking, it'll take a toll on your playing, and it drags the whole thing down when you have something else on your mind.

Following those points will probably delay an LP a lot, but that's the sort of stuff that needs to happen to avoid burning yourself out.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Slowbeef posted:

I gotta be honest, I didn't read it that way.

He made a post, it wasn't well received, that's that. There's no reason to hound him until he's fully out the door. Maybe he'll make poo poo that'll fly better here, who knows but:

Fair enough. Everyone needs to start somewhere I guess.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

CommissarMega posted:

There is that, but I'd say the most surefire way to avoid burnout is to make sure that the game actually is enjoyable to LP, or if not, enjoyable to mock/point out its flaws. Honestly, if either of those two elements are present, then all you really need to worry about is real life kicking you in the rear end.

ahahahahahano.

If you love a game, you will hate it by the time you're done. If you hate a game, you will become convinced it murdered your parents. Loving a game is by no means a sure-fire way to avoid burnout.

Honestly, the best way to avoid LP burnout is to start with something easy. Don't start with a text-heavy game, and don't start with one where you'd need to replay it a ton of times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will attest to that. The only LP I've really gotten into the meat of was my Fallout 3 Let's Play way back a year or so ago. That game a) loves to crash and b) absolutely despises FRAPS, so I picked a very winning combination for my first one. Like four total save wipes later I gave up and never looked back.

So yeah, do something that doesn't require a whole lot of intense planning and replaying on your part for your first LP, it's easier that way.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Slowbeef posted:

100% correct usage of that word. I've lived in coastal towns and fishing communities, and that word is commonly used for that meaning.

Though they might have said specifically: "Let's not keep dredging this up."

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Biggest thing I can say regarding burnout is to take your time with it. Don't try to stick to a specific schedule if it's giving you trouble, especially if it's a game that requires a lot of editing. In my experience, if you just work on updates in your spare time here and there, you never really feel too burned out.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Wind God Sety posted:

Biggest thing I can say regarding burnout is to take your time with it. Don't try to stick to a specific schedule if it's giving you trouble, especially if it's a game that requires a lot of editing. In my experience, if you just work on updates in your spare time here and there, you never really feel too burned out.

This is the golden advice as far as I'm concerned. My LPs have an awful update schedule, but that's because "Hey, 3D World just came out. FBK can wait for a week while I play that" or "I could work on the LP today, but I think I'm going to stream some Majora's Mask with a couple friends." Maybe it takes me a week to do an update where I could have had it done in 3 days, but I have a lot more fun doing it this way and I never feel like the LP is really becoming work - it's just another game in my rotation that I happen to record when I play it. Of course, if you can keep to a schedule, there's no reason not to, I suppose.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I find the best way to avoid burnout is not to LP 40 hour multipath visual novels with dual-audio voice acting and no available script dumps.

At least, not without taking the odd break.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, I'm actually agreeing with this, because, as much as I enjoy the UFO trilogy, I enjoy other games just as much, and new games come out all the time. But so long as it's finished, I won't feel bad for having tried. Aftershock and Afterlight are not the friendliest of games, and, as mentioned, RL and well being come first.

EDIT: As a side note, it's amazing how much your attitude to strict scheduling changes when you have to reload a mission twelve times because of TPKs... :black101:

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 9, 2013

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I am a massive Guild Wars fanboy and my update format allows me to have fun with each update. Also, take breaks if you need to; no one has a gun to your head to have the LP done at a certain time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lance Streetman posted:

If you love a game, you will hate it by the time you're done. If you hate a game, you will become convinced it murdered your parents. Loving a game is by no means a sure-fire way to avoid burnout.

I admit, I don't feel that way about Magical Diary at all- it's just that my schedule doesn't leave much time for transcription, and I'm the temperamental sort who needs to write his updates all in one go, lest my train of thought derails into an orphanage. Regarding the game I'm LPing beside Magical Diary though, holy poo poo yes.

Lance Streetman posted:

Honestly, the best way to avoid LP burnout is to start with something easy. Don't start with a text-heavy game, and don't start with one where you'd need to replay it a ton of times.

WELL gently caress :v:

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Thanks again for the help. Getting audio levels just right is a lot harder than I was imagining it would be. I guess knowing what you're saying makes it a lot easier to hear.
And yes, I'm trying to have this be a somewhat relaxing LP so even though I love this game I don't want to be too loud and energetic.
I made some final changes and posted the thread.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Fedule posted:

I find the best way to avoid burnout is not to LP 40 hour multipath visual novels with dual-audio voice acting and no available script dumps.

At least, not without taking the odd break.

We already lost the Ace Attorney LP, don't you dare :argh:

(:ohdear:)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lance Streetman posted:

ahahahahahano.

Haha NOW you tell me. Which reminds me, a good way to forget about my lovely health problems at the moment might be to get off my rear end and start transcribing more text. Whoo.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

valkhorn posted:

I worked on the Unreal test post commentary a bit.

Let me know what you think:
Unreal: Vortex Rikers and NyLeve Falls

This was a hybrid of live commentary and a pre-written script.

This kind of got lost in the last few pages so I forgot about it. Now that I've watched it, I can tell you that it truly is an exponential improvement in your commentary. Sometimes it's a little obvious that you're stating what's on screen because you can't think of anything else to say, but that's more due to the fact that the game looks pretty simple, and it's probably hard to find things to say about repetitive sections when you've got no one else to go off of. Anyway, good job - you'll probably see more of an improvement as time goes on and you get more used to doing commentary this way.

E: I also recommend that you also take a look at a video from Lazyfire's ongoing LP of Red Faction to see an example of someone who's really good at live, informative commentary.

gatz fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 10, 2013

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
If you're LPing a text heavy game, chances are decent that someone somewhere has transcribed it already and there's a text dump out on the internet, so search for that if you haven't already. That can really help avoid burnout.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Wind God Sety posted:

If you're LPing a text heavy game, chances are decent that someone somewhere has transcribed it already and there's a text dump out on the internet, so search for that if you haven't already. That can really help avoid burnout.

Only if you're LPing a more well-known game. If you're LPing a slightly obscure game, good loving luck finding a script out there. And copying from a text dump is still rather annoying and tedious, moreso if you have to reformat the thing. After a certain point, it just becomes easier to transcribe it instead.

Ed: The problem with LPing a text-heavy game first isn't that it's overly difficult, it's that it adds an enormous strain on your workload if your update-making process isn't very good (it won't be). For your first LP, you really need to figure out how to make an LP properly by loving up and making mistakes. Anything that can add stress onto that just contributes towards your eventual burnout. Take it from me, I had that exact thing happen.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 10, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Surprise! all the other scripts out there for my game ignore like 60% of it, so hey, there's something I'm adding for posterity's sake to the intergoogles.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
On the subject of burnouts, a good way to avoid it: Don't make megathreads. :( Between doing a million practice runs for the GBA/DS Castlevania games(when I stopped, I could have probably beat COTM with my eyes closed) and the amount of avisynth editing during Symphony of the Night, boy did it do a number on my motivation. I couldn't even be assed to do the 3d games first like I originally planned because lord a year straight of playing Castlevania is too much even for me. Still plan to do those eventually though.

I'm almost glad work/real life delays my Witcher thread so much, since even if each update takes a month(or four :v:) to get out, each time I put work in a video, I'm able to put in 110% since I take enough time off each time to never feel like it's a chore, given the amount of time each one takes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Lance Streetman posted:

Only if you're LPing a more well-known game. If you're LPing a slightly obscure game, good loving luck finding a script out there. And copying from a text dump is still rather annoying and tedious, moreso if you have to reformat the thing. After a certain point, it just becomes easier to transcribe it instead.

That, or be some sort of crazy rear end in a top hat who doesn't mind transcribing and converting text into a conversation for several hours every day for several months straight. For around five to nine LP's, depending on how you'd count the Quest for Glory series.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
It's even more fun when it's a game with no script dump and it's non-English! :suicide:

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

I feel with a script dump I probably would have gotten a lot further through Lost Odyssey. :shobon: I really don't remember if I couldn't find one or if I was too lazy. Didn't help each update was a million images.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Zeratanis posted:

On the subject of burnouts, a good way to avoid it: Don't make megathreads. :( Between doing a million practice runs for the GBA/DS Castlevania games(when I stopped, I could have probably beat COTM with my eyes closed) and the amount of avisynth editing during Symphony of the Night, boy did it do a number on my motivation. I couldn't even be assed to do the 3d games first like I originally planned because lord a year straight of playing Castlevania is too much even for me. Still plan to do those eventually though.

If you are enough of a fool to do a series megathread, I would honestly advise that you not be a perfectionist and just play through the games before recording once so atleast you're familiar with it. Any big goofs you can always edit out.

Also get some co-commentators who are only available once every month.

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 10, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Artix posted:

To be fair, he's not wrong. He paid his 10bux, and the Sandcastle isn't a prestigious gatekeeper that determines whether or not you're allowed to post in the sanctuary that is LP. Is he going to have a really small audience? Sure. But we did our job - if he doesn't want to take the advice, then he can go ahead and post his thread and whatever happens will happen.
As long as he doesn't break the rules, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

The people who hang out on this sub-forum are also free to do whatever the hell they want, including ignore his threads, something which is likely to happen if he chooses to completely ignore the advice he's been given.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

FutureFriend posted:

If you are enough of a fool to do a series megathread, I would honestly advise that you not be a perfectionist and just play through the games before recording once so atleast you're familiar with it. Any big goofs you can always edit out.

It's funny you say that since I did take that approach for the first few games but I felt they weren't up to par in quality so from 3 > Bloodlines I went tryhard mode, which I think in hindsight was probably a mistake, since even though I was a bit more chill for Rondo/SOTN, by then things just started slogging when trying to find everything as I went along.

Really when I get around to do doing the 3d games, I definitely won't be sticking them all in one thread and just do them one game at a time since it will be easier for me to digest that way. On the subject of the 3d games, so glad the Lords of Shadows games are on PC~ That will make doing those a million times easier. Of course though I still need to get through the Witcher before I think of any of that.

Also Emalde or bust. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

FutureFriend posted:

When I was planning a full-fledged Command & Conquer megathread, one idea I had was to post in the C&C thread in Games to say "hey, I'm streaming some C&C and I need co-commentators get the hell in here" and then everybody who shows up can yell at me and tell me what units to build and where to send them. I've scaled back my plans to "see if I can handle an SSLP of Tiberian Dawn," but I wonder if I can still use that approach in some way.

Speaking of SSLPs of Tiberian Dawn: an important part of the Command & Conquer experience is listening to the kick-rear end music through the in-game jukebox but I don't know how (or even if) I should try to replicate the experience. So far, I've come up with two ideas:
I have some idea of the advantages of each approach, but I haven't dealt with this issue before and don't know what I should be considering. Any thoughts? Would it help if I linked a half-finished test update or a no-music, no-commentary longplay video?

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 10, 2013

• Locked thread