Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

ThirdEmperor posted:

Has anyone ever managed to completely excise the Hallow and the Corrruption/Crimson from a hardmode world? I'm looking for a challenge and wondering if that would be feasible.

Don't even attempt to do it without a map viewer handy.

Crimson and Corruption have nasty habits of popping up in the most random places where you'd never think to go. I think I remember reading that the game generates a random patch of corruption/crimson/hallow every time an altar is destroyed and it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SourceElement posted:

Don't even attempt to do it without a map viewer handy.

Crimson and Corruption have nasty habits of popping up in the most random places where you'd never think to go. I think I remember reading that the game generates a random patch of corruption/crimson/hallow every time an altar is destroyed and it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

It does indeed do that, I've mucked about with the map editor in my hardmode world and say quite a few out of place bits of crimson and hallow. I don't think it spawns one everytime however.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think it's supposed to turn 1 random tile into ebonstone/crimstone and another into pearlstone every time you break an altar.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

dis astranagant posted:

I think it's supposed to turn 1 random tile into ebonstone/crimstone and another into pearlstone every time you break an altar.
This is correct. You can verify if you use a map viewer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tin Tim posted:

And while we're at it, the inside of my tower is also pretty dark. I know that the outside is supposed to be much brighter, but it's pretty gloomy on the lower levels, and gets increasingly more bright the higher I go up. I just find that to be weird, because I think that I have spread around lightsources pretty equally.

That's from the mushroom farm. You have enough of them for a partial biome change, and the mushroom biome is the gloomiest.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Cool, thanks for the advice and suggestions, everyone!

I cleared out the acorns, hammered down the Stucco (It looks MUCH better now!), put two statues next to my doors, and went to the Crimson and blew up all six of Cthulhu's hearts. There's another Crimson around in the world, so I guess I've gotta blow those up sometime as well.

Does multiplayer require making a brand new world, or can you reuse an existing world in multiplayer?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TerminusEst13 posted:

Does multiplayer require making a brand new world, or can you reuse an existing world in multiplayer?
Worlds and players are not tied, so you can take your player to any world, or any player to the world you've been using, and that includes opening it for multiplayer. So feel free to grab some friends and invite them to your world.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks for the info, folks! I guess I just have to remodel my tower, and stuff the Moonglow farm into the biome for the Witch Doctor. Was planning to do the same for the shroom guy and the shroom farm, so I may as well plan it symmetrical. I really don't like the look of pot farms, so I'll get over the biome change effects. Though, it's kinda strange how much range so few blocks seem to cover.

Oh, any tips on getting Fireblossom seeds? I'd imagine I will have to bring a bucket to hell, and dump some lava over some flowers that already grew there, right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks for the info, folks! I guess I just have to remodel my tower, and stuff the Moonglow farm into the biome for the Witch Doctor. Was planning to do the same for the shroom guy and the shroom farm, so I may as well plan it symmetrical. I really don't like the look of pot farms, so I'll get over the biome change effects. Though, it's kinda strange how much range so few blocks seem to cover.

Oh, any tips on getting Fireblossom seeds? I'd imagine I will have to bring a bucket to hell, and dump some lava over some flowers that already grew there, right?

If the flowers are downhill from some lava, you could just dig it out.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Tin Tim posted:

Unless you're really committed to growing your own, I wouldn't worry about them. Just build a big bridge out of ash in the underworld and Fireblossoms will grow there naturally. Harvest every so often. You'll have more than enough.

If you are committed, then yes.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Tin Tim posted:

Is that just something that I have to deal with due to setting up my own farm? Would kinda suck, because I really don't like the jungle music!
When you get to hardmode, drop 2 gold for a music box from the wizard. You can get pretty much any theme for your base.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, in our world, there's a plantera bulb right at 0 depth. How screwed are we?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Keiya posted:

Theres usually more than one plantera bulb, try finding another one.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Keiya posted:

Hit it and head down. Bosses take a few seconds to get on screen.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Also, even if you die, another Bulb will spawn afterwards. On a small map there should usually be ~4 bulbs up at all times.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Anyways, I figured out how to harvest buckets of plants quickly and easily. Let me show you my proof-of-concept glowing mushroom farm.

Here it is when it's ready to harvest.

The magic is hidden, with wires and actuators.

When you flip the switch, all the mushroom grass de-actuates without dying, and all the mushrooms on it turn into items. Here it is de-actuated.

It should also work without modifications for daybloom and regular mushrooms, deathweed and vile mushrooms, moonglow and jungle spores, and blinkroot. Waterleaf would require an actuator flipping both the sand and the block supporting it, and wouldn't let you put water on it to make it bloom without spilling everywhere; however, it will still get you waterleaf plants. Same deal goes for ash and lava for fireblossoms.

Also, deactuating the mushroom grass doesn't change the biome, so you can't use this to easily change what solution the Steampunker is selling.

EDIT: According to the wiki, actuators don't break herbs? Still, you can use dart traps to harvest the herbs, and actuators to make them all fall down upon you for easy gathering.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 28, 2013

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Speaking of which, I'm trying to build an herb farm right now and I'm having a little trouble. Is there any reliable way to automatically reap from potted plants? I tried a dart trap, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No, the whole point of pots is that you have to selectively mine them in order to harvest their contents. Great if you only have one seed and you want to grow more while being sure that you don't accidentally hit the immature plant. Not so good if you're trying to mass-harvest and have no shortage of space to work with.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I finally got a Wisp in a Bottle yesterday after a few hours of grinding the dungeon. During that time I was lucky enough to have a monster drop a Mythical Magnet Sphere, which sped things up a lot (Spectre armour helps too). I'm now working on collecting a set of the 'best' accessories (yellow-quality ones reforged to be light blue) and a legendary mining set: picksaw and spectre hamaxe.

Then I'm going to start farming the pumpkin moon for the best wings and grappling hook. In my spare time I'm building a massive battle arena / palace in a new world where I plan to hang as many unique banners as I can collect and place as many unique statues as I can find.

Then, maybe then, I will be done.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is there any way to play multiplayer with a friend without needing to forward ports or use another program?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there any way to play multiplayer with a friend without needing to forward ports or use another program?

Are you unable to forward ports or just having trouble figuring out how? Host & play is pretty easy.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

SirSamVimes posted:

Get a real internet connection instead of being NATed?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In other news, I'm now in a Hugh Jackman movie.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Alright, I've killed the eye and brain, have a full set of both meteorite and crimson gear, and have built my hellevator. I've also already gotten me a guide vodoo doll. What should I do next? Kill Skeletron and go to the dungeon? Go to hell to mine hellstone and obsidian to get the hellstone armor? Try and take on the wall of flesh? Arg, there's too much to do in this game!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Meteorite Gear with the Space Gun trivializes Skeletron, if you wanna give that a go.

Argable
Aug 18, 2012

Funkutron5000 posted:

Alright, I've killed the eye and brain, have a full set of both meteorite and crimson gear, and have built my hellevator. I've also already gotten me a guide vodoo doll. What should I do next? Kill Skeletron and go to the dungeon? Go to hell to mine hellstone and obsidian to get the hellstone armor? Try and take on the wall of flesh? Arg, there's too much to do in this game!

Up to you. You can probably take on the wall and hardmode already if you're careful about it. Personally, I go corruption-hell-dungeon-jungle then start hardmode once I've built Night's Edge since it's as good or better than anything you'll get until the highest tiers. That's probably over-preparing though.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Argable posted:

Up to you. You can probably take on the wall and hardmode already if you're careful about it. Personally, I go corruption-hell-dungeon-jungle then start hardmode once I've built Night's Edge since it's as good or better than anything you'll get until the highest tiers. That's probably over-preparing though.

Wall of flesh sucked. But, a bunch of mana potions combined with demon's scythe and the bee gun finally did him in. I managed to sneak my way over to the crimson and smash 6 alters to unleash a bit of new ore into the world. I got Palladium/ Mythril/ Titanium. What's the best way to look for deposits of these new ores? Go back into my old caves and just start looking around? Or make myself some new caves?

I have an odd feeling I won't be using my hellevator for quite a while.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Funkutron5000 posted:

Actually, that's one of the best ways to sniff out the new ore. Chug a Spelunker potion and just take a drop down your hellevator.

Argable
Aug 18, 2012

Funkutron5000 posted:

Wall of flesh sucked. But, a bunch of mana potions combined with demon's scythe and the bee gun finally did him in. I managed to sneak my way over to the crimson and smash 6 alters to unleash a bit of new ore into the world. I got Palladium/ Mythril/ Titanium. What's the best way to look for deposits of these new ores? Go back into my old caves and just start looking around? Or make myself some new caves?

What Kyrosiris said. Since the new ores spawn whether you've explored an area or not, there's as many where you've been as where you haven't. And spelunker potions always save you huge amounts of time. I'm the kind of lunatic that decides to build most of my castle out of titanstone, and ferreting out every bit of titanium on a world would have been nearly impossible without them.

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008
I've got near endgame equipment, but with Starbound being early release, is there any reason to play Terraria anymore?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

EcoBlue posted:

I've got near endgame equipment, but with Starbound being early release, is there any reason to play Terraria anymore?
Yes, Starbound really doesn't feel complete at this point and it's very hard to get attached to any of the worlds you visit. In Terraria, your world is the only one you've got, so you love it.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EcoBlue posted:

Terraria is an overwhelmingly better game than Starbound right now, though I have high hopes for Starbound in the future. If you're enjoying Terraria I don't see any reason to quit playing it.

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Yes, Starbound really doesn't feel complete at this point and it's very hard to get attached to any of the worlds you visit. In Terraria, your world is the only one you've got, so you love it.

Good, I just got the Ankh Shield, and that took a lot of time. :emo: Are there any active MP servers?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Speaking of the Ankh shield, I've got everything I need except the Nazar. What's the best way to get that? It looks like the only enemies that drop it are the Cursed Hammer/Sword in the underground corruption or hallow and the cursed souls in the dungeon. I know those skulls show up in both pre-hardmode and hardmode dungeons. What's the best way to spawn an unreasonable amount of those enemies and get this loving thing? A water candle doesn't seem to be helping much.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

There's also a Holiday Event patch coming up fairly soon featuring

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

EcoBlue posted:

My friend and I are playing Terraria while we wait for Starbound patches to come out. They're different enough games that it's working out pretty well. Terraria focuses on having you build a super castle and digging down deep while Starbound's more about running around the surface and going to different planets. With some of the things they have planned even in this upcoming patch though, I think Starbound is going to overtake Terraria sooner rather than later in terms of the amount of fun things you can do while still providing the 'Settle down and build/dig' gameplay of Terraria.

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Speaking of the Ankh shield, I've got everything I need except the Nazar. What's the best way to get that? It looks like the only enemies that drop it are the Cursed Hammer/Sword in the underground corruption or hallow and the cursed souls in the dungeon. I know those skulls show up in both pre-hardmode and hardmode dungeons. What's the best way to spawn an unreasonable amount of those enemies and get this loving thing? A water candle doesn't seem to be helping much.

I got stuck on the Nazar too, I just went into a pre-hardmode dungeon and held a water candle. Gotta remember to kill NPCs that get stuck in corners, so you have more chances to spawn Cursed Skulls. Also drink battle potions.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

EcoBlue posted:

By the time Starbound is complete and fit to play, Terraria will have runs its course and likely be into Terraria 2 development, so yeah. We're still getting major content, including a final boss patch at some point.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Starbound just crashes for me at this point. I just got into hard mode on the 1.2 content, so it's a good thing actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

cryptoclastic posted:

Starbound just crashes for me at this point. I just got into hard mode on the 1.2 content, so it's a good thing actually.

I've played it a bit. I haven't had any stability problems, thankfully. Just a bit obtuse and it feels very alpha-y or beta-y, for sure.

I just downloaded a new patch for Starbound that's 750 meg. Heck of a chunk and I should mosey on over to see the notes. I'm always going to be partial to Terraria moreso anyway because it's sword & sorcery (with sci-fi elements) moreso than Starbound, and that's always been my preference in any media, interactive or not. I hope that Terraria 2: Dig Harder! adopts the Starbound method while keeping (mostly) the art style and general theme.

• Locked thread