Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

I don't think we'll see it in many year-end best-ofs.

It seems to be showing up a bit:

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/critics-pick-top-ten-albums-of-2013

\/ Because it's really, really good

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
How the gently caress in Yeezus at the top of that list?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeezus isn't that good. It's not bad either. When it comes to Kanye I just want an album that's wall to wall Monster and nothing else I guess.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

RetroHelix posted:

How the gently caress in Yeezus at the top of that list?

because Yeezus is loving awesome?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Please tell me what you think is so loving awesome about Yeezus.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Daft Punk helped make Yeezus, so it deserves some accolades.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

I like the beat on send it up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Michael Scott posted:

Bound2

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BWTNYFCNVs

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I finally watched Instant Crush... and I liked it. Maybe I'm just being a Daft Punk apologist, but I think it was going for lovely/cheesy 80's music video, and it got it perfectly. I thought the last shot with the two mannequins melted together was weird, but otherwise it worked. Definitely not the best music video ever, and not even the best DP have done, but it's not awful.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wow people in the Daft Punk thread talking poo poo about Yeezus. Never thought I'd see the day.

For content, the video for Instant Crush isn't so bad after all, though it doesn't really match up with what the song's lyrics say...which, well honestly it's kind of hard to make heads or tails out of them. The ending is really stupid though.

SgtScruffy posted:

I finally watched Instant Crush... and I liked it. Maybe I'm just being a Daft Punk apologist, but I think it was going for lovely/cheesy 80's music video, and it got it perfectly. I thought the last shot with the two mannequins melted together was weird, but otherwise it worked. Definitely not the best music video ever, and not even the best DP have done, but it's not awful.

See, this is something I take issue with. While I didn't really see too much of a "lovely/cheesy 80's video" in it, more just a straightforward video that doesn't have a lot of the bullshit visual arts that a lot of indie rock videos have, apparently a lot of people do see it. Regardless of my inability to detect retro factors in videos, I don't think Instant Crush is a "lovely/cheesy 80's SONG". It's one of the more modern sounding songs on the album. Unless Daft Punk just has this unregulated hard-on for retro poo poo right now, I don't think that feel goes well with this song. Save that for the Fragments of Time video that won't ever be made.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 7, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Michael Scott posted:

As corny and cliche as this might sound, it really is an avant-garde/experimental rap album, and from someone who has a lot to lose from being avant-garde/experimentalist. The rap songs on this album really don't sound like much you could find anywhere else. He took a Daft-Punk designed acid house beat, turned it into an aggressive rap song. Basically all of the Daft Punk-produced/co-produced songs are great, actually. He took dancehall/reggae artists and had them sing aggressively on tracks. He has a sex-anthem that is so dirty and raunchy but also catchy and different. There's some Chicago drill influence on the album, some great one liners, and the whole thing sounds like it was meant to be played loud and in a stadium. At the same time it is short and sweet, you don't feel like you have to invest a lot of time to enjoy the whole thing front to back. Basically it is a melting pot of Yeezy experimentation. If you wanted any kind of traditional rap, if you wanted something that sounds like old Kanye West, if you wanted anything that existed beforehand then you probably did not like this album. Fair enough, it isn't supposed to appeal to you, in my opinion.

The exception for me is Bound 2, I really don't care much for the song. I don't think it is bad and it doesn't take away for me, it just isn't my style and I hate that it is getting so much attention because I think most of the other songs are better and more interesting.

I would love to hear a whole record of just Daft Punk/Yeezy

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

an skeleton posted:

Your whole post is on point, but this can't be quoted enough.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

an skeleton posted:

Why Yeezus is a legit good album

It's ironic that people are talking poo poo about a major act doing something experimental/avant-garde in a thread about another major act who's newest album did pretty much the exact opposite.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Daft Punk really like melting faces.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Bound 2 is blowing up because it's the only song on the album remotely like his old music (that is to say, it's fun). There's a reason the album sold worse then any of his others.

Anyway I was hoping for a Doing it Right video, but Instant Crush is cool too.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Anaranjado posted:

There's a reason the album sold worse then any of his others.

Because the music-buying public doesn't like to hear new, interesting, (relatively) experimental new sounds? Same reason ARTPOP sold worse than Gaga's other albums and RAM sold better than Daft Punk's previous ones.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 7, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anaranjado posted:

Anyway I was hoping for a Doing it Right video, but Instant Crush is cool too.

If they're doing four singles for the album, there's still a chance. Doing it Right seems like one of the most likely if they do, since not many of the songs left are very good as singles; there's basically just Doing it Right, Fragments of Time and maybe Beyond.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

abraham linksys posted:

Because the music-buying public doesn't like to hear new, interesting, (relatively) experimental new sounds? Same reason ARTPOP sold worse than Gaga's other albums and RAM sold better than Daft Punk's previous ones.

That and they marketed the poo poo out of RAM.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

an skeleton posted:

As corny and cliche as this might sound, it really is an avant-garde/experimental rap album, and from someone who has a lot to lose from being avant-garde/experimentalist. The rap songs on this album really don't sound like much you could find anywhere else. He took a Daft-Punk designed acid house beat, turned it into an aggressive rap song. Basically all of the Daft Punk-produced/co-produced songs are great, actually. He took dancehall/reggae artists and had them sing aggressively on tracks. He has a sex-anthem that is so dirty and raunchy but also catchy and different. There's some Chicago drill influence on the album, some great one liners, and the whole thing sounds like it was meant to be played loud and in a stadium. At the same time it is short and sweet, you don't feel like you have to invest a lot of time to enjoy the whole thing front to back. Basically it is a melting pot of Yeezy experimentation. If you wanted any kind of traditional rap, if you wanted something that sounds like old Kanye West, if you wanted anything that existed beforehand then you probably did not like this album. Fair enough, it isn't supposed to appeal to you, in my opinion.

The exception for me is Bound 2, I really don't care much for the song. I don't think it is bad and it doesn't take away for me, it just isn't my style and I hate that it is getting so much attention because I think most of the other songs are better and more interesting.

I wanted to respond to him, but this summed it up. Thanks for all of us Yeezus apologists.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

something clever posted:

I wanted to respond to him, but this summed it up. Thanks for all of us Yeezus apologists.

No problem y'all.

The first time I heard the On Sight beat I was addicted. It's so short, I had to replay it like 10 times. I could easily see that being on Human After All or Homework.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

an skeleton posted:

No problem y'all.

The first time I heard the On Sight beat I was addicted. It's so short, I had to replay it like 10 times. I could easily see that being on Human After All or Homework.

The point for me is that sure it was cool and those beats were great to listen to, but they were sullied by Kanye West's writing, voice, and personality. I don't know what his fans find intriguing about those things. Maybe my disdain isn't rational. Music preferences rarely are, after all. :)

I do appreciate the well-thought out counterpoints.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Michael Scott posted:

The point for me is that sure it was cool and those beats were great to listen to, but they were sullied by Kanye West's writing, voice, and personality. I don't know what his fans find intriguing about those things. Maybe my disdain isn't rational. Music preferences rarely are, after all. :)

I do appreciate the well-thought out counterpoints.

Kanye is a narcissist for sure. Whenever I listen to his music I am celebrating that narcissism and personality. I guess it is just a matter of compatibility with that personality for many people. Personally I think a lot of his writing is clever and substantive, but to each their own.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Hey you know there's actually a Kanye West thread guys.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

So far I've seen two different attempts at "official" videos for Get Lucky. Both incorporate scenes from Electroma, and I personally dig the dissonance of the image/song of the first more than the more traditional "sexy road video" blend of the second. Any other good ones out there?

As a heads up, more melted faces and robot suicide in this first one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NMPUcMeyvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9BBgBmJ9U

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Michael Scott posted:

The song is listed in the description. It is: Shirobon - Born Surviver

I seriously think the 2 clips of that Shirobon song are more energized, spirited, and engaging than anything on RAM (including Instant Crush). Even the lyrics throughout the album are soft, trite and contrived. I clearly do not understand the high praise it has received.

In other news, RAM made the list of the 23 best albums of 2013 as ranked by the A.V. Club at http://www.avclub.com/article/the-23-best-albums-of-2013-106233
Look at this guy listening to a Daft Punk album for the lyrics...

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Anyone getting the action figures? I forgot that I ordered them months ago until Amazon sent me a notice telling me to update my CC info if I want them to ship.

They aren't as nice as the Real Action Heroes figures that have come out in the past, but no way am I dropping $500+ for a set of those. This was priced right at my sweet, "why not" point.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mints posted:

Anyone getting the action figures? I forgot that I ordered them months ago until Amazon sent me a notice telling me to update my CC info if I want them to ship.

They aren't as nice as the Real Action Heroes figures that have come out in the past, but no way am I dropping $500+ for a set of those. This was priced right at my sweet, "why not" point.

I really want to, but I just don't have the money. :(

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

het posted:

Hey you know there's actually a Kanye West thread guys.

God forbid a discussion builds any direction here. Good call.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
I'm still listening to RAM every few days, I like it a lot. some parts more than other parts but overall I wouldn't add or subtract anything from the album.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I still want some actual house tunes from them. If we could get some of that within the next 365 days or so that'd be just great.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

an skeleton posted:

I still want some actual house tunes from them. If we could get some of that within the next 365 days or so that'd be just great.

Look at this guy living in the past heh

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'll go live with him.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Popcorn posted:

Just listened to this album for the first time in ages.

Georgio says "once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and of music being correct, you can do whatever you want, so nobody told me what to do, and there was no conception of what to do".

Then it cuts to a really cliched orchestral harmony.

Furious about this.

I'm sure it is cliched, but I dig that section a lot and am looking for more of it for background music. Similar stuff is in a lot of soundtracks and scores, but what comes to mind for you (or anyone else) for bands/songs that work orchestral components into their music?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

kalensc posted:

I'm sure it is cliched, but I dig that section a lot and am looking for more of it for background music. Similar stuff is in a lot of soundtracks and scores, but what comes to mind for you (or anyone else) for bands/songs that work orchestral components into their music?

I took it more as not obeying the rules of dance music - IE we're going to cut in a full orchestra over this synth track.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I'll go live with him.

D-does that mean you won't post in this thread anymore?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

BeavisNuke posted:

I took it more as not obeying the rules of dance music - IE we're going to cut in a full orchestra over this synth track.

Then why didn't they use (or create) a quote about structure or genre convention? He's talking specifically about harmony.

The quote has the opposite effect of demonstrating how indebted the album is to the work of past masters. That might be appropriate, depending on how you see things, but it's not like Moroder invented that sort of harmony, or pioneered the use of cliched string arrangements in synth songs, so it's weird to juxtapose the orchestra with that quote of his, if that's what they're getting at.

The track isn't dance music, anyway - it's Xbox prog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbeZMR0Ipk

e:

kalensc posted:

If you like the sort of cheesy prog-with-orchestras stuff maybe Muse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c901NUazf3g

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 10, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bown posted:

D-does that mean you won't post in this thread anymore?

I'll take a time machine typewriter so I can keep ruining Daft Punk for you with my rare posts, Mr. Sensitive.

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

Feenix posted:

I'll take a time machine typewriter so I can keep ruining Daft Punk for you with my rare posts, Mr. Sensitive.

You've been complaining about how this album isn't "daft punk enough" for 7 months now. I think it's time to get over it. Move on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Man Cub posted:

You've been complaining about how this album isn't "daft punk enough" for 7 months now. I think it's time to get over it. Move on.

I'm plenty over it. I won't say for sure that I haven't registered disappointment in the album recently but I don't think so? As new media has come out, I've commented, such as the a Instant Crush video being too cheesy for my liking and Julian's dancing being on par with Napoleon Dynamite's.

Sorry you don't like hearing about it I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

dj bobby bieber posted:

Look at this guy living in the past heh

House music is still pretty awesome, and Daft Punk are among its greatest purveyors, so that's pretty good past-living to do.

• Locked thread