Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe it was a learning experience for them?

It could also explain their reluctance to call him Green Arrow. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You know, it boggles the mind that two of the show runners (Guggenheim and Berlanti) were behind the Green Lantern movie.

WHY YOU COULDN'T BE EQUALLY AWESOME BACK THEN? :qq:

I imagine the DC movie people were all over it. I haven't seen it but I understand it's a pretty faithful adaptation of comic book stuff.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

I imagine the DC movie people were all over it. I haven't seen it but I understand it's a pretty faithful adaptation of comic book stuff.

The movie itself isn't THAT bad but is all over the place, it feels like three really good movies pasted together to make a mediocre one.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I have to imagine that on a major film like Green Lantern Berlanti and Guggenheim did not have as much creative control over what was going on as they do on Arrow. Not that this supports my previous claim in any way, but Joss Whedon has written a bunch of scripts for big budget movies, comic book or not, and asked for his name to be removed after changes to what he wrote were made.

Or maybe they just hosed up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Okay well look at how many posts about the Flash, how he got his powers, who he is etc have been made and it's all knowledge gleaned from the comics.

What does this have to do with what I said? All I was saying is that Nicholas Lea's character isn't from the comics. Some guy just thinks he is based on no evidence at all.

If you really want to know who his character is it's not that hard to find. He's supposedly a friend of Walter's that is going to help a certain character with their political aspirations. Beyond that nothing is known about the character except his name.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 9, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The movie itself isn't THAT bad but is all over the place, it feels like three really good movies pasted together to make a mediocre one.

Yeah, Ryan Reynolds' character in the movie has like... 3 different arcs depending on who he's talking to and none of them really pay off. It's more a failure due to being a mess and compromised between the space opera and traditional Earthbound superhero stuff.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rhyno posted:

Okay well look at how many posts about the Flash, how he got his powers, who he is etc have been made and it's all knowledge gleaned from the comics.

The one article that says he's David Cain, uses as primary evidence "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if he was David Cain?" So far, the only name to have leaked credibly is Mark Francis, which isn't a DC character. It's either an original character, or a false name, at which point he could be anyone.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I specifically didn't link the article on the basis that it clearly had next to no fact or backing to it.

Personally I'd love it if David Caine was in the series, since it may eventually lead to an introduction of Lady Shiva and Cassandra Caine. And this would be awesome. And Caine at least has the fact that he's a named member and associate of the League of Assassins, so if they need to bring in another person from the organisation, he's a good name to drop.

That being said, this is Arrow. There is no way that Nicholas Lea has been hired on just going to be a political fixer or bodyguard.
Given the way Arrow has been done, Lee is going to be some like secret League of Assassins person put in, perhaps to strike at Merlyn if he shows up in Starling City again. Probably not Caine, but probably someone a part of the League.
Or he could be some badass ARGUS agent in deep cover.

As for the Green Lantern film, I maintain it's not a bad film. I firmly believe that a good film was being made by Martin Campell and/or by the writing staff. But that the film was hacked to pieces in the editing room. And frankly it wouldn't be the first film that got messed up in the editing room.

As for the League of Assassins/League of Shadow's debate, I always imagined that they were two parts of the same larger organisation. That the League of Shadows were the Spy side, the people who Ra's use to infiltrate legitimate organisations (governments, banks, companies) to achieve his goals. And the League of Assassins were the heavies, the people send in to kill very specific targets and built the reputation/money of the organisation.

Now I realise there is nothing to support this, but I think it's a fine way to expand the world building in the show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
David Cain. Cain. No e. Not Caine.

Why yes, I am a pendant.

The Question IRL posted:

As for the League of Assassins/League of Shadow's debate, I always imagined that they were two parts of the same larger organisation. That the League of Shadows were the Spy side, the people who Ra's use to infiltrate legitimate organisations (governments, banks, companies) to achieve his goals. And the League of Assassins were the heavies, the people send in to kill very specific targets and built the reputation/money of the organisation.

Now I realise there is nothing to support this, but I think it's a fine way to expand the world building in the show.

That actually is pretty awesome. It makes sense too.

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE

bunnyofdoom posted:

David Cain. Cain. No e. Not Caine.

Why yes, I am a pendant.

That actually is pretty awesome. It makes sense too.

Pedant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

What does this have to do with what I said? All I was saying is that Nicholas Lea's character isn't from the comics. Some guy just thinks he is based on no evidence at all.

If you really want to know who his character is it's not that hard to find. He's supposedly a friend of Walter's that is going to help a certain character with their political aspirations. Beyond that nothing is known about the character except his name.

I thought you were scolding me for mocking comics chat so I was giving examples of why that policy doesn't work in this show's case. People keep calling the muscle dude "Proto Grundy" but how could you know who Solomon Grundy is if you haven't read the comics?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I thought you were scolding me for mocking comics chat so I was giving examples of why that policy doesn't work in this show's case. People keep calling the muscle dude "Proto Grundy" but how could you know who Solomon Grundy is if you haven't read the comics?

Bruce Timm's Justice League/JLU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
From the cartoons? Most of my superhero knowledge comes from cartoons I used to watch and a stack of Deadpool graphic novels I keep in the bathroom.

fake edit: marvel/dc whatever

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hi liter posted:

Bruce Timm's Justice League/JLU

Still qualifies under the no spoilers policy.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheChad posted:

From the cartoons? Most of my superhero knowledge comes from cartoons I used to watch and a stack of Deadpool graphic novels I keep in the bathroom.

fake edit: marvel/dc whatever

Same here. 90s/early 00s DCAU cartoons, video games like Arkham Asylum, and the New 52 comics. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go hide from the BSS posters.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Warmachine posted:

Same here. 90s/early 00s DCAU cartoons, video games like Arkham Asylum, and the New 52 comics. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go hide from the BSS posters.

You should try the Deadpool comics, they are really funny. I think you can just pick up any of em, order doesn't seem to matter that much.

edit: trust me I have VAST knowledge on the subject. :D

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 10, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Warmachine posted:

But that is going to be the interesting things about the back half of season 2: we're going to be watching superpowers emerge into a world where they've been rather hidden/non-existent up to this point. It opens the door to the traditionally Marvel plot of normal people vs. metahumans.

Well, regular people usually don't care about seeing superpowered freaks in the DCU, it's like part of their daily lives. They'll be slightly wary of them for a bit, sure, but I don't see them going full-on racist like they do on the Marvel side with mutants. And thank God for that.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Krad posted:

Well, regular people usually don't care about seeing superpowered freaks in the DCU, it's like part of their daily lives. They'll be slightly wary of them for a bit, sure, but I don't see them going full-on racist like they do on the Marvel side with mutants. And thank God for that.

...but it's explicitly not part of their lives in this DCU. People are going to freak when actual honest-to-God superhumans start popping up. It'd be much, much weirder if they didn't. They probably aren't going to go full-on racist but mostly because there's not going to be an easily-identifiable 'race' of super-people. Just a few unfortunate outliers (Hi, Barry! :flashfact:) created by super-science or random acts of nature (or both). Mostly they're just going to be lightning rods (Hi, Barry! :science:) of suspicion and paranoia.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'd have a feeling that the Flash won't be going on whatever version of the Voice or Oprah they have, so it's not like anyone'd know about his superspeed.

For all the people outside...uh...Queensville, Flash would be as "superhuman" as Arrow. And Arrow's just a sneaky dude.

I don't think anyone's going to go "OH MY GOD, SUPERHUMANS!" If Felicity or B Diddy haven't even commented on the dude ripping off a X ton container, bolts and all, and carrying it on his shoulders I doubt anyone's going to start making huge issues with potential metahumans or their powers.

Everything has always seemed pretty low key to me, or at least it'll only be information for plot relevant characters alone.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 10, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Drifter posted:

I'd have a feeling that the Flash won't be going on whatever version of the Voice or Oprah they have, so it's not like anyone'd know about his superspeed.

For all the people outside...uh...Queensville, Flash would be as "superhuman" as Arrow. And Arrow's just a sneaky dude.

I don't think anyone's going to go "OH MY GOD, SUPERHUMANS!" If Felicity or B Diddy haven't even commented on the dude ripping off a X ton container, bolts and all, and carrying it on his shoulders I doubt anyone's going to start making huge issues with potential metahumans or their powers.

Everything has always seemed pretty low key to me, or at least it'll only be information for plot relevant characters alone.

It was some kind of Red... Red Blur.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Drifter posted:

Yeah, it's not like people can see him running impossibly fast or anything.

Drifter posted:

Sure, until the actual second he gets caught on camera moving with inhuman speed. There is a fuckton of difference between 'guy who shoots arrows real good' and 'guy who literally breaks the sound barrier on-foot.' The first one could theoretically be within the reach of anyone with enough practice. The second? Not so much.

Drifter posted:

:raise: But... both Felicity and Diggle have commented on the issue, and were really freaked out by it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Yeah, it's not like people can see him running impossibly fast or anything.

That depends how fast they want to make him. The Flash is that fast.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

That depends how fast they want to make him. The Flash is that fast.

Somehow I don't think they're going to make him that fast just yet. Even if they do; at that point it just looks like he's teleporting, or that bad guys are somehow taking themselves out, which is every bit as supernatural and :stonk:-inducing as superspeed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Torrannor posted:

How dare these others for enjoying a grounded tv show on the basis of comics, and complaining if the show moves away from that basic premise. I'm not even sure how much superpowers we will see, so the complaints may be premature. But it is not like comic fans "own" the show, people who prefer a more down to earth approach (in comparison to outright superhero shows at least) have every right to be pissed if the show changes.

I'm saying the complaining... bitching and whinging if you will, is the problem. People who hate watch and then feel the need to post about how much they hate it pisses me off.

Ergo... thank jeebus for TV IV > Arrow.

You guys get it and accept it for the most part.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spergatory posted:

Somehow I don't think they're going to make him that fast just yet. Even if they do; at that point it just looks like he's teleporting, or that bad guys are somehow taking themselves out, which is every bit as supernatural and :stonk:-inducing as superspeed.

If you want to sperg about superspeed, if you're moving fast enough to appear as if you're 'porting around, or that people are punching themselves out on their own, you would actually be killing the people you're punching/kicking or ripping of fingers and limbs if you're stripping weapons out of hands.

There's literally no way to realistically handle superspeed when it comes to interacting with other people. So they'll do what they want and so long as the characters are cool, I'm okay with it (unless it's really loving stupid).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 10, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Are there any promo pictures of the costume they are going to use? because Flash has easily one of the goofiest looking costumes in terms of realizing it am actual, real-life outfit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

e X posted:

Are there any promo pictures of the costume they are going to use? because Flash has easily one of the goofiest looking costumes in terms of realizing it am actual, real-life outfit.

Nothing has been seen yet and it's no sillier than anything else we've seen on screen to date. The 1990 Flash series actually had a pretty slick suit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

If you want to sperg about superspeed, if you're moving fast enough to appear as if you're 'porting around, or that people are punching themselves out on their own, you would actually be killing the people you're punching/kicking or ripping of fingers and limbs if you're stripping weapons out of hands.

There's literally no way to realistically handle superspeed when it comes to interacting with other people. So they'll do what they want and so long as the characters are cool, I'm okay with it (unless it's really loving stupid).

That's all what the Speed Force is for in comics.

No idea how the show will handle it though. Speed Force is some heavy comic silliness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

That's all what the Speed Force is for in comics.

No idea how the show will handle it though. Speed Force is some heavy comic silliness.

If Geoff Johns is involved in any way the Speed Force will be mentioned.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rhyno posted:

Nothing has been seen yet and it's no sillier than anything else we've seen on screen to date. The 1990 Flash series actually had a pretty slick suit.

It's basically an ice skating suit and that does look kinda goofy, especial when you trying for a dramatic atmosphere.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.avclub.com/review/arrow-became-great-by-emphasizing-characters-above-200605

Yesssss, validate our love for this show please!

Btw I think their analysis is pretty spot on. Writers (and I do think the onus is mostly on the writers here) fix Laurel please!

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

hi liter posted:

http://www.avclub.com/review/arrow-became-great-by-emphasizing-characters-above-200605

Yesssss, validate our love for this show please!

Btw I think their analysis is pretty spot on. Writers (and I do think the onus is mostly on the writers here) fix Laurel please!

I think my favorite part about that article may be the 2 comments at the bottom of the page:

Comments posted:

Lycro
• Alright people in the zeitgeist, where should I start with this if I want to skip the mediocrity? The start of this season?
fatherttam
• the pilot
Otherwise, really good article (just wish they'd given Paul Blackthorne some love, too).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Drifter posted:

Exactly. The only 'realism' I'm looking for is realistic reactions of the characters (and the world) to the crazy poo poo that is going down. I can accept any premise, no matter how outlandish, as long as people act like people in the story.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

hi liter posted:

If they eventually "retire" Caity Lotz and replace her with Laurel, I will break things. :mad:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Ideally they'll manage to fix Laurel without needing to retire Caity Lotz, but at this point I almost wonder if that's possible with this team. They've done an excellent job with this season and virtually every character, same with most of the last season, but somehow they've managed to completely - consistently - gently caress up with Laurel.

She might just be the show's one real, unfixable flaw.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Speaking of Lotz have they given her character's full name? It'd be hilarious if it was Sara Dinah Lance just to screw with everybody insisting Laruel's name means her becoming the Black Canary is etched in stone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Speaking of Lotz have they given her character's full name? It'd be hilarious if it was Sara Dinah Lance just to screw with everybody insisting Laruel's name means her becoming the Black Canary is etched in stone.

You mean the writers?

(Also Sara's middle name is probably not her sister's first name.)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

One of the things that has been spoiled to death in this thread is that the writers have outright said that Laurel is going to become the Black Canary

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Mr Beens posted:

One of the things that has been spoiled to death in this thread is that the writers have outright said that Laurel is going to become the Black Canary

That was before the "Sara's alive" reveal, though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
After, I believe. It seemed pretty clear that the writers were going to have the returned Sarah (as Black Canary) influence Laurel, then Laurel would become Black Canary later.

I think? I'm not positive.

• Locked thread