Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

soy posted:

why is everyone making GBS threads themselves over this patch?

It's getting rid of the current armor/damage mechanics. Which were pretty much the definition of lovely and unfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

soy posted:

Overhauled how combat, damage, and armors works ontop of a ton of bug fixes and a good deal of new content.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

soy posted:

It completely changes how the combat in the game works, introduces a bunch of neat features, and is basically a pretty big step forward for the game.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Arthil posted:

I'm uh, I can't actually play. I keep getting an Access Violation Error. All the supposed "fixes" I found on the official forums were basically duds.

The error is 0x7548c113 (read of address 0x6d4b19d1) Anyone have this issue? Maybe this new patch will fix it?

I'd rather this didn't get lost on the last page!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Arthil posted:

Are you running XP? The game has many issues on that OS, but the next patch will theoretically fix them.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

It completely changes how the combat in the game works, introduces a bunch of neat features, and is basically a pretty big step forward for the game.

oh good it wasnt just me being totally confused why my poo poo did no damage to things.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

soy posted:

Well if you really want to get technical I just happened to poo poo myself when the patch dropped. Easy mistake to make though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Awww yeah

I love my download speed.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Arthil posted:

My buddy had a problem similiar to this and it ended up being that he had it installed on an external HDD. He moved it to his internal HDD and it worked fine, ymmv.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Chalks posted:

Are you running XP? The game has many issues on that OS, but the next patch will theoretically fix them.

Nope, Win7 64bit. It's installed on my one and only hard drive.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

soy posted:

Pokemon.

(Creature Taming is being added.)

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

soy posted:

Grappling hooks (Ninja Rope)

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Arthil posted:

Nope, Win7 64bit. It's installed on my one and only hard drive.

At what point does it happen, when you start the game or try to load in with a character?

If it's the latter I fixed it by deleting the config in the root of the install folder, as well as the player and universe folders (basically wiping my own character(s)).

If that doesn't work you may as well try verifying cache and, failing that, a reinstall.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SlayVus posted:

Awww yeah

I love my download speed.

It took me about a minute and a half to download at 7MB/s.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Also rebalancing spelunking. And pokemon. And drills! And combat balance.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Almost done. Can't wait to get my server back up and realize I lost all my progress :stonk: and see what's new!

Edit: And it's done. Time to see if world's were wiped as well. Server should be back up too barring any complications.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 10, 2013

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Yup, new patch wiped characters. I knew it would happen, but it's still sad to see them go.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So have they released an up to date patch notes yet?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
First new character's first randomly generated name: Snow Beefjeff. Sold.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sweet now patch the servers i cant stand to be alone in space

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New weapon stats are great. DPS, swing speed, and damage per swing. Perfect.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

soy posted:

sweet now patch the servers i cant stand to be alone in space

I have my server up, but I never made a PGS thread for it because i'm lazy and it's set up for some friends along with SA. Should still be 72.45.56.195.

Also, holy god the server command prompt displays a lot of buggy looking text.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In anticipation of the patch, our server spawned 6 UFOs on top of a huge tower and tried to lead them all the way to the core of the planet.

We were very nearly there before it dropped.

explosivo posted:

New weapon stats are great. DPS, swing speed, and damage per swing. Perfect.
So that means Penetration and level-based monster armor are gone entirely? Holy poo poo/thank god.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Which is better, standard or openGL mode :saddowns:

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

An Unoriginal Name posted:

At what point does it happen, when you start the game or try to load in with a character?

If it's the latter I fixed it by deleting the config in the root of the install folder, as well as the player and universe folders (basically wiping my own character(s)).

If that doesn't work you may as well try verifying cache and, failing that, a reinstall.

I've reinstalled the game several times by now. It happens once the game has "launched" from steam, but you have the option to choose whether to launch a server, or to launch the client.

Whenever I click to launch the client, the entire window will hang-up/freeze for a time... And then eventually I'll get that error.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Oh my god. How long were the Glitch gender buttons like this? :allears:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Avocados posted:

Since the bonus character creator on their forums.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Avocados posted:

All the time. Aren't they great?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

"An error occurred while updating Starbound (disk write error)"

Well fuckin thanks, Steam. How do I fix this? I already have it running as admin.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

"An error occurred while updating Starbound (disk write error)"

Well fuckin thanks, Steam. How do I fix this? I already have it running as admin.

Close steam, delete it's clientregistry.blob, restart steam.

This fixes 99% of all Steam issues.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Tyty posted:

I sorta stumbled through the assets files until I figured it out, but apparently the guy who made feline mod made a tutorial for it here

It's pretty simple to add anything to this game though and it's really fun. I've been looking at the dungeon files for a bit. Figure I should make the blocks before I try to make a dungeon.

Thanks for the prompt response. I figured that there'd be a measure of blind prodding involved in this, but from what you and others have said it sounds mostly straightforward, which is excellent. I hope you'll continue to keep the thread informed on your progress with the insectoids (have you decided on a name?) and with any luck I'll have something to share soon too.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Oh god, pressing back at "0" when crafting automatically loops you to the max amount of things you can make, yes!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ohgod, starting areas can be scary now with big creatures.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Enzer posted:

Oh god, pressing back at "0" when crafting automatically loops you to the max amount of things you can make, yes!

Wait what? Please explain in detail.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Is there anyway to change the color of certain hair accessories humans can start with? I really prefer this hairstyle with a bow for my human, but it seems stuck on red as a color.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

joats posted:

When you're crafting something you can select how much of that thing you want to make by hitting the arrows on the bottom right. Now, you can hit left when you're at 0 and it'll loop back around to the max that you can make.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Arthil posted:

I've reinstalled the game several times by now. It happens once the game has "launched" from steam, but you have the option to choose whether to launch a server, or to launch the client.

Whenever I click to launch the client, the entire window will hang-up/freeze for a time... And then eventually I'll get that error.

Tried to run it directly from the launcher in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\launcher and I got the error...

The ordinal 3906 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll. It gave me the error twice.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Enzer posted:

Finally! I think I tried that every time I crafted. Great news.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

joats posted:

Say you wanted to craft the maximum number of bandages you can make with your current materials, before this patch you'd have to click once for every bandage you wanted, there was no way to automatically do a "craft all", but now if you just hit the back button (the minus one button), it will loop around to however many the max number you can craft at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Close steam, delete it's clientregistry.blob, restart steam.

This fixes 99% of all Steam issues.

Thank you, barons.

• Locked thread