Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Rogue 7 posted:

Hello soon-to-be-fellow Japan goons! I'm sitting in LAX right now waiting for my flight to Narita.

I was on this flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

mystes posted:

Power converters aside, that thing is huge and weighs 80kg. How could it possibly be worth it to ship it to the US?

Edit: Lol, assuming the size isn't a problem, you could send an 80kg package to the US via Fedex for 184000 yen. I don't know if any of the cheaper shipping services will even handle packages that heavy.

Just do what Pompous Rhombus says and sell it before you leave. Even if you're selling it at a substantial discount, it will be cheaper to buy a new one in the US than to ship it.

I assume they're going to ship it along with the rest of their belongings through air cargo, via a broker, manifested as "personal effects". Actually moving companies like Kuroneko might be able to roll that part into the moving process; I remember they extensively advertised on TV that they can do international moves between the US and Japan.

On a semi-related note, would running a mochi-making machine (like this) on a converter be a bad idea? Zojirushi doesn't make domestic mochi making machines anymore, so buying one in the U.S. isn't an option.

I am OK posted:

If you do go, make sure you go to the Inari shrine. It owns so hard.

Fushimi-Inari is really neat, but be sure that you give it enough time. The climb up Inari-san is long. Don't make the mistake of thinking you cam cram Fushimi-Inari Taisha along with a bunch of other sights. Also, if you go late in the day, a lot of the shops along the stone path will be closed, which means no grilled sparrow.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Anyone familiar with obtaining a JR Rail Pass if you are a Japanese national living outside Japan. The JR rail Pass page informs me that I must provide "written proof of the following: Right of permanent residence AND That they are living in a country other than Japan".

However, it is not clear on how I can show proof of residency. Has anyone had any experience with this and how to show proof?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Busy Bee posted:

Anyone familiar with obtaining a JR Rail Pass if you are a Japanese national living outside Japan. The JR rail Pass page informs me that I must provide "written proof of the following: Right of permanent residence AND That they are living in a country other than Japan".

However, it is not clear on how I can show proof of residency. Has anyone had any experience with this and how to show proof?

Passport should do it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Passport should do it.

I have a Japanese passport and living in the United States so I don't think that will work for me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

I have a Japanese passport and living in the United States so I don't think that will work for me.
You don't have some sort of documentation of your US immigration status?

Or are you a dual citizen? In that case it's probably hopeless

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

If you have both passports and you're over the age where you were supposed to choose then you're possibly hosed. You could lie and say that you don't have a Japanese passport, but I don't know if they have some way of checking and you could potentially put one of your passports at risk.

If you're a permanent resident, and not a citizen, in the US then, just show the US immigration status, is what Mister Roboto was saying.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you have both passports and you're over the age where you were supposed to choose then you're possibly hosed. You could lie and say that you don't have a Japanese passport, but I don't know if they have some way of checking and you could potentially put one of your passports at risk.
I think I've heard that having both passports isn't a problem unless you somehow go out of your way to draw attention to it, although I'm not clear on the exact mechanics (like I assume you're supposed to enter Japan on the Japanese passport, but then when you return to US using the US passport do you have to explain to US customs why it wasn't stamped?).

The key point is supposed to be that the US doesn't care about dual citizenship now.

Obviously this would preclude a JR pass though (the US passport wouldn't have the proper Japanese documentation but on the other hand if you showed the Japanese passport you would have no way to establish US permanent residency).

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mystes posted:

I think I've heard that having both passports isn't a problem unless you somehow go out of your way to draw attention to it, although I'm not clear on the exact mechanics (like I assume you're supposed to enter Japan on the Japanese passport, but then when you return to US using the US passport do you have to explain to US customs why it wasn't stamped?).

The key point is supposed to be that the US doesn't care about dual citizenship now.

Obviously this would preclude a JR pass though (the US passport wouldn't have the proper Japanese documentation but on the other hand if you showed the Japanese passport you would have no way to establish US permanent residency).

Yeah I've heard similar, but I don't want to be responsible for giving some dude advice that causes him to lose one of his passports.

If he had a US passport he wouldn't need any Japanese documentation, though. Then he'd just appear like any other foreigner as far as they're concerned.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah I've heard similar, but I don't want to be responsible for giving some dude advice that causes him to lose one of his passports.

If he had a US passport he wouldn't need any Japanese documentation, though. Then he'd just appear like any other foreigner as far as they're concerned.

Need to use the US passport to enter the country though, since it needs to have the tourist stamp on it. That's what keeps people like us from getting the rail passes.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ara posted:

Need to use the US passport to enter the country though, since it needs to have the tourist stamp on it. That's what keeps people like us from getting the rail passes.

Yeah of course, that's my point, he'd enter the country on his US passport as if he were a regular foreigner.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Utility bills usually work as proof of residency.

Dunno why you guys are talking about two passports though, sounds to me like he only has the Japanese passport and that's it.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 10, 2013

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

You just need to show your "residency" visa, which I guess is the "green card" for the USA?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Elec posted:

I lived in Okegawa during my year in the JET program in 06-07. There are a few places to go shopping I guess, you'll definitely want a bike unless you don't mind walking. You can get to Ageo like Rabite said, and Urawa is close too, home of the Reds soccer team. I never went to a game but sometimes if I happened to be walking by a bar and there were a ton of people in Red shirts shouting at a TV I'd stop in and absorb the atmosphere. That was fun.
Omiya is also easily reached by train, and it's gotten more developed even since I lived in Saitama. The train line itself gets you into Tokyo proper rather conveniently.

I hope you enjoy it!

Saitama gets laughed at by Tokyoites and Yokohamans for being dasai or having nothing or whatever or just being a bedroom prefecture whose only good point is being close to Tokyo, but it's a good place to live (except Chichibu probably? Just joshin') and I loved my time living there. I volunteered at an orphanage near the Tochigi border for a few months 10 years ago and then lived in Saitama (Okegawa and then Kawaguchi) until a few years ago when I finally moved to Tokyo. I think it's one of those areas that is a good balance of what it's like to live in Japan.

I'm from northern New Jersey, so "bedroom community" is pretty much par for the course! I had a brief time walking around today getting registered and signing up for health insurance, and it seemed quite nice. I'm in a hotel in Warabi for the week since my apartment isn't quite ready, and it's a lot more built-up. My time in Korea was spent in a very built-up area, so being in an area that's a little more spread out is nice. The closer cities look to be cool places to hang out, and 45 minutes-an hour is what I'm used to for getting into a city, so I think it should work out very well.

My school's been very nice to me so far- I'm getting something like 2 weeks worth of training, where after one day in Korea, I was teaching a full schedule already. Also I'm working Tuesday-Saturday, which is going to be an interesting change of schedule.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Lemmi Caution posted:

I was on this flight.

My mind was boggled by how big the Airbus A380 was. Pretty comfortable, too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How much does a smartphone data plan run per day at the airport? I'm not making the mistake of relying on wi-fi again.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rogue 7 posted:

I'm in a hotel in Warabi for the week since my apartment isn't quite ready, and it's a lot more built-up.

Haha, cool! I did a homestay for a week in Warabi just out of high school.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

Rogue 7 posted:

I'm in a hotel in Warabi for the week since my apartment isn't quite ready, and it's a lot more built-up.

Play some pachinko.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

How much does a smartphone data plan run per day at the airport? I'm not making the mistake of relying on wi-fi again.

If you came to Hong Kong this would totally not be a problem because I have a spare pocket wi-fi for my Gooooonz. The SSID is : "mom's basement"

try air busan. smart 7 days, only 220 USD, 15 days 270 USD.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah of course, that's my point, he'd enter the country on his US passport as if he were a regular foreigner.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am actually a dual citizen and have both an American and Japanese passport. I have been entering Japan with my Japanese passport every time I go there so I would not feel comfortable entering Japan with my American passport just for the rail pass.

That is why I'm curious to know what kind of "proof of residency" I can show besides a green card (which I don't have). I don't think I'll run into any problems since technically I am a Japanese national living in the US.... But of course I do not want to risk losing my passport.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Haha, cool! I did a homestay for a week in Warabi just out of high school.

I lived two stations away from there for three years. Warabi has the highest crime rate of any city in all of Japan if I remember right.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ara posted:

I lived two stations away from there for three years. Warabi has the highest crime rate of any city in all of Japan if I remember right.

Which is still effectively nothing

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Ara posted:

Oh right there was a (reported) crime in 1968?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I read a blog about a guy who claimed he was in a Yakuza-owned street for a year or so, but the closest he ever gave as evidence was that occasionally Uyoku dantai buses would blare past and yakkity yak. That about summed my knowledge of crime in Japan.

e: Oh right, also the Zaibatsu poo poo

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WarpedNaba posted:

I read a blog about a guy who claimed he was in a Yakuza-owned street for a year or so, but the closest he ever gave as evidence was that occasionally Uyoku dantai buses would blare past and yakkity yak. That about summed my knowledge of crime in Japan.

e: Oh right, also the Zaibatsu poo poo

That's Tim Rogers, you'll want to take that with a truckload of salt.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

LyonsLions posted:

That's Tim Rogers, you'll want to take that with a truckload of salt.

I take my Tim Rogers with a bowl of miso.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

Thank you everyone for your input. I am actually a dual citizen and have both an American and Japanese passport. I have been entering Japan with my Japanese passport every time I go there so I would not feel comfortable entering Japan with my American passport just for the rail pass.

That is why I'm curious to know what kind of "proof of residency" I can show besides a green card (which I don't have). I don't think I'll run into any problems since technically I am a Japanese national living in the US.... But of course I do not want to risk losing my passport.
Yes, I don't think this will work. You would have to show that you're a US citizen but obviously.you can't.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I would just forget about the rail pass if this were me, multiple passports is not something worth risking over cheap train tickets.

When you enter the US, do you do it on your US passport? Do you have to show stamps from your Japanese passport? Doesn't Japan wonder where the hell you've been in the giant gap with no stamps besides the Japanese exit stamp? I actually really want to know specifics of this because I might have kids who have to deal with it eventually.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

If you came to Hong Kong this would totally not be a problem because I have a spare pocket wi-fi for my Gooooonz. The SSID is : "mom's basement"

try air busan. smart 7 days, only 220 USD, 15 days 270 USD.

500 the dates I can travel + the 200 I already spent on unrefundable tickets. Send me that and I'll come. :v:

riderkick
May 7, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Hello fellow halfie. Unfortunately I am well past 20 and gave up my Japanese citizenship about a decade ago. However, until that point my siblings and I traveled very often to Japan using our US passports with no issue. When you enter the country they do not cross-reference or anything like that. We also used the JR pass to visit family while we were in Japan. To the best of my knowledge this is not illegal since you're will fully entering the country as a US citizen.

If you're over 20 though and you try to renew your Japanese passport there's a good chance they may catch on that you're a dual-y and ask you to pick one country as Japan does not allow dual citizenship. If you do not want to risk your Japanese passport, do not take it with you.

If you can give me about 12 hours I can ask my mother how she did the JR Pass before she became a US citizen.

EDIT:
You may be better off calling JAL or ANA's overseas office and ask them what constitutes as proper paperwork. The link below has their overseas offices.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/05/en05_2.html
If they can't give you an answer I can give the JR Pass providers a call on your behalf and ask them.

riderkick fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 10, 2013

Dmoz
Dec 3, 2005
Ad Hominem

riderkick posted:

Hello fellow halfie. Unfortunately I am well past 20 and gave up my Japanese citizenship about a decade ago. However, until that point my siblings and I traveled very often to Japan using our US passports with no issue. When you enter the country they do not cross-reference or anything like that. We also used the JR pass to visit family while we were in Japan. To the best of my knowledge this is not illegal since you're will fully entering the country as a US citizen.

If you're over 20 though and you try to renew your Japanese passport there's a good chance they may catch on that you're a dual-y and ask you to pick one country as Japan does not allow dual citizenship. If you do not want to risk your Japanese passport, do not take it with you.

If you can give me about 12 hours I can ask my mother how she did the JR Pass before she became a US citizen.

EDIT:
You may be better off calling JAL or ANA's overseas office and ask them what constitutes as proper paperwork. The link below has their overseas offices.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/05/en05_2.html
If they can't give you an answer I can give the JR Pass providers a call on your behalf and ask them.

This is all true, but isn't it possible just to choose Japan, then keep the US passport? They can't take it off you since the passport isn't yours (but the property of the issuing govt)...

There are issues with this method if you don't plan on coming back to Japan every now and then to renew your passport, but otherwise it's pretty much foolproof.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Ara posted:

I would just forget about the rail pass if this were me, multiple passports is not something worth risking over cheap train tickets.

When you enter the US, do you do it on your US passport? Do you have to show stamps from your Japanese passport? Doesn't Japan wonder where the hell you've been in the giant gap with no stamps besides the Japanese exit stamp? I actually really want to know specifics of this because I might have kids who have to deal with it eventually.

With kids, as long as they are under 21, no one seems to care. My kids leave NZ on their NZ passport (we give both to the immigration people), and arrive in Japan on the japanese passports (once again giving both to the immigration people), they don't even raise a eyebrow. But they will need to decide on which passport to travel with when they are older. As it will likely raise flags when the immigration records don't match the flight records.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

riderkick posted:

When I was there in June, they explicitly searched my passport for a tourist SoR stamp before issuing me the JR rail pass.

riderkick
May 7, 2007

Got a response from my Ma', when she went to Japan as a Japanese citizen living abroad she used her green card. You may want to check with one of those vendors to see what are acceptable documents.

The only thing to avoid is entering with two passports, that may be an issue because although not enforced Japan would like you to enter the country as a Japanese citizens, and if you are over 21 they you may need to revoke one or the other.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Why not just use the US passport for this trip? You don't need to worry about any visa poo poo, and Japan definitely doesn't keep a name-matching database that will blink because a Japanese passport with the same name was used before. Gaijin it up and get that Rail Pass!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My daughter travels on US and JP passports, no one ever checks our stamps. The US is poo poo about stamping anyway. Some countries don't stamp departure.
After she turns 20, if they catch her, I'd suggest she keep the US passport and get the Child of Japanese National visa. Hopefully she can do a Working Holiday on the JP passport before then.

Dmoz
Dec 3, 2005
Ad Hominem

peanut posted:

My daughter travels on US and JP passports, no one ever checks our stamps. The US is poo poo about stamping anyway. Some countries don't stamp departure.
After she turns 20, if they catch her, I'd suggest she keep the US passport and get the Child of Japanese National visa. Hopefully she can do a Working Holiday on the JP passport before then.

What's wrong with just keeping both? I really don't mean to be a dick by pressing the issue but so long as you always "give up" your non-J citizenship there's nothing the Japanese government can do, really.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's the plan, mate. Also naively assuming the laws will be changed in 17 years

Nexus42
Jul 5, 2003

Sorry for the Inconvenience
Hey J-Goons, I am considering moving to Japan. I am currently an English teacher in Korea and I realized I don't want to be in Korea long-term. I have been to Japan 4 times and I love it.

If you live in Japan and have a moment, could you please answer a few questions?

1) What do you like about living in Japan?

2) How do you feel about the politeness etiquette? All of the sorry's, excuse me's, being considerate someone's status in the hierarchy, etc.? I am a polite but direct person, and I try not to pander to anyone. I am concerned that this quality about me may be too abrasive with expected Japanese etiquette.

3) For people that work non-english teaching jobs, what are your feelings on the Japanese work environment? I read about the overtime, boss-gods, and so forth. Korea has a similar situation, and foreigners are generally exempt from it.

4) Do you feel there is a lot to do in Japan? I like Korea, but after 1 year here I feel I am running out of things to do already in this small country. There are only so many mountains and temples. Japan seems to have a lot more cultural background, diversity, and interesting output than Korea.

5) If you could change one thing about Japan, what would you change?

Thank you in advance if you had a minute to fill this out. I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience.

Nexus42 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Nexus42 posted:

Hey J-Goons, I am considering moving to Japan. I am currently an English teacher in Korea and I realized I don't want to be in Korea long-term. I have been to Japan 4 times and I love it.

If you live in Japan and have a moment, could you please answer a few questions?

1) What do you like about living in Japan?

2) How do you feel about the politeness etiquette? All of the sorry's, excuse me's, being considerate someone's status in the hierarchy, etc.? I am a polite but direct person, and I try not to pander to anyone. I am concerned that this quality about me may be too abrasive with expected Japanese etiquette.

3) For people that work non-english teaching jobs, what are your feelings on the Japanese work environment? I read about the overtime, boss-gods, and so forth. Korea has a similar situation, and foreigners are generally exempt from it.

4) Do you feel there is a lot to do in Japan? I like Korea, but after 1 year here I feel I am running out of things to do already in this small country. There are only so many mountains and temples. Japan seems to have a lot more cultural background, diversity, and interesting output than Korea.

5) If you could change one thing about Japan, what would you change?

Thank you in advance if you had a minute to fill this out. I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience.

1. It's an actual thriving country rather than a shoebox full of fire ants with an inferiority complex. I used to live in Korea and I don't miss hearing how Korea invented paper money/fireworks/everything else, Did you know that our country is amazing for [stupid reason], Can you use chopsticks, getting stared at on the subway for 30 minutes straight, people spitting inside elevators, shiny suits, Gee Gee Baby Baby Baby etc. People are less xenophobic and, while people here are in general kind of emotionally stunted from a Western perspective, it's nowhere near as severe as it was in Korea. Interesting people actually exist without ever having lived overseas. Also no FAN DEATH

2. It's cool, as long as you're willing to do what's appropriate for social situations rather than GAIJIN SMASH

3. Depends on your job, as a translator I haven't had any real problems.

4. Yes. Korea is a garbage country. It depends what you're looking for, but I can't think of any single way that Korea was better than Japan. EDIT: Heated floors. That was literally the only better thing in Korea. At least I thought of one, good job Korea.

5. Easier permanent residency without marrying a Japanese

If you've been an English teacher in Korea, be prepared for some of the poo poo parts of the job being the same. If you've been here and loved it, you'll almost certainly be much happier as an English teacher here.

Ara fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 12, 2013

• Locked thread