Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Vanderdeath posted:

That's odd because it immediately crashes as soon as I attempt to do anything with a modded Matter Manipulator.

Maybe you messed up the syntax? I forgot a comma in one of the files before and that caused the game to crash like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Trying to set up a server, and all I keep getting is a bunch of 'Warn: slow asset' lines of text, along with the occasional 'error, item X does not have a price set'. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Edit: Can't even tell if my server is up or not. Trying to log into 'localhost' doesn't work. :sigh:

Edited edit: 127.0.0.1 worked, dunno if it's available online or not.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 10, 2013

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Armor is now additive and NOT averaged. This means that 2+4+2 armor equals 8 and not 3/4

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So every planet in my Alpha sector genned as Threat Level 1. Wonderful.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The tier 2 weapons that you craft out of the metalwork station do 4500-6667 DPS.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are entire systems rated by Threat level now? Every planet in my starting system is Threat Level 1. :psyduck:

X-37371661 Y80440988

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Rynoto posted:

So every planet in my Alpha sector genned as Threat Level 1. Wonderful.

There are only 10 threat levels now. This is to be expected.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Party Alarm posted:

Shields appear to be broken, in a bad way.
I think they absorb some of the damage now, in a bad way.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
If you guys can scrape up enough coal for an early jump (unlikely since coal is 1:2 fuel though), here's a nice starting planet:

Alpha Alphecca 1365 II a
X:31153053 Y:-48130990

Enough surface ore to solidly establish yourself in copper/iron tier (maybe more, only played 20min), wood & fiber.
Few screens to the left, a gigantic USCM prison complex for weapons and pixels.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VDay posted:

The tier 2 weapons that you craft out of the metalwork station do 4500-6667 DPS.

To add to this, these weapons (which you only need steel bars to make) one-shot the Robot boss. That seems like it'll probably be nerfed asap.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

VDay posted:

It also has a teleport move now and sends out these little mini-UFO drones, although I don't know if that's new or if I just haven't seen it before.

He's done that at least since the last version, it activates that stuff and becomes generally more aggressive once it falls below something like 50% or 30% health.

Wheezle posted:

There are only 10 threat levels now. This is to be expected.
So the game is now 1 threat level per crafting tier, basically? That's a pretty good change, I think. It makes the variety and challenge more about the random monster and planet spawns rather than arbitrary number distinctions. Though hopefully in the future that'll mean some of the nastier projectile-spammers wouldn't spawn on early planets.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Has anyone else been able to re-find loot from the google doc? I found one with the same coordinates and name, but without the same features, so I'm supposing the planet generation changed.

Also my starter sword managed to get a critter to drop meat?

Also I found a dinosaur hat and it's adorable.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah there's pretty much no balance to the combat yet, which is to be expected. The T2 crafted weapons one-shot every T3 monster (haven't gotten to boss yet) and the T2 boss. The T3 enemies still do decent damage though, even against racial T2 armor.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

endolithic posted:

Also my starter sword managed to get a critter to drop meat?

Also I found a dinosaur hat and it's adorable.

The last patch gave monsters a small chance to drop meat when killed by normal weapons.

Which is really nice considering how much total rear end the hunting bow sucks now. I guess that makes the Snow Infantry armor a small touch more balanced considering how much tedium you'd need to go through for that much leather.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

Maybe you messed up the syntax? I forgot a comma in one of the files before and that caused the game to crash like that.

http://jsonlint.com/ Will ensure that your file is valid JSON, it can't ofcourse tell you whats in it makes any sense.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Anyone play with taming monsters yet? Am I wrong in thinking that's included in this update?

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

First priority in this version seems to be finding or crafting a new weapon. The starter does a pathetic 5 damage per swing when everything else should be hitting for at least 70+. So it's not just you.

If anyone else wants to start with an awesome and fairly huge Apex town just to your left (with a lot of guards for loot!), x:30946719 y:22348309 has treated me really well so far. It's the third moon (Alpha Sharcedon 83 I c), forest TL1. Not a ton of surface ore, but hey, town!

This planet rocks. Keep going to the left and you'll come across a Glitch house with a basement level with a poo-monster in it, and poo tiles.

EDIT: if anyone comes across a Pulse Jump, could they show the coordinates here? I didn't realise how much I'd miss it.

xPanda fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 10, 2013

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The last patch gave monsters a small chance to drop meat when killed by normal weapons.

Which is really nice considering how much total rear end the hunting bow sucks now. I guess that makes the Snow Infantry armor a small touch more balanced considering how much tedium you'd need to go through for that much leather.

The Iron Hunting Bow is still one-shoting stuff on a starter planet, so people should be fine getting meat/leather.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Yeah, balance is still a bit out of whack, but it's a step in the right direction, I think, and seems easier to balance than it used to be.

Is it me, or are the critters far more relentless than they used to be, too?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

xPanda posted:

This planet rocks. Keep going to the left and you'll come across a Glitch house with a basement level with a poo-monster in it, and poo tiles.

Holy poo poo, a sewer dungeon, Apex, and Glitch, all on the same planet? I love this default spawn. Thanks for the tip, glad I didn't jump away yet.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Where are you guys finding guns? I made it all the way to TL 15 before the wipe and never discovered any.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Brackhar posted:

Where are you guys finding guns? I made it all the way to TL 15 before the wipe and never discovered any.

Quartermasters on avian pirate airships (look for an anchor on the surface and then climb the chain using platforms) sell a lot of guns and other weapons and blueprints.

They also occasionally drop from planet minibosses, much like other randomly generated weapons. They may also come in chests, but I've never seen one there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm not sure I like the lack of variety within a sector. It was an issue people brought up prior to the patch and it may have come to fruition. There are more possible attacks from ground enemies, from what I'm seeing, but they're all about equally difficult within a tier. Getting better equipment just doesn't feel as good. There isn't a constant sense of moving up in the world. When you move up a tier, you get new stuff and it all cancels out in a way that makes it feel exactly the same as the last tier. Maybe when they get around to better balancing damage values (they already admitted the numbers are way off right now and they're going to get to work on tweaking them) things will feel a little better, but I think the system as it is has a pretty fundamental flaw in how little variety there is in difficulty from world to world. Completely homogenizing difficulty levels between planets within a sector was a very bad decision, and I feel like there must be a middle ground between how it was previous and the new change. I hope they're able to find that, because how it is now is an extreme step taken way further than they had to go in the opposite direction of how it was.

To compare it to another game, it just kind of feels like Oblivion right now, in a way. Where instead of seeing interesting threats and gearing up to meet said threats and gaining the spoils granted from overcoming a bigger challenge, everything everywhere is just kind of always the same no matter what, and the loot everywhere within a tier is always the same, making exploration not very important.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 10, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So drills are in with this update, but they don't seem to be really balanced either yet. They mine 2x2 squares but don't seem that much faster than a gold pickaxe. Still takes a couple of seconds to get through cobblestone, for example. The pickaxe seems just as fast if not faster at digging straight down/through thanks to the 3x3 mining area.

Maybe the drills get way better the tougher the material, but so far I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping/expecting something like the super drills from Terraria, although I guess this is still just T4 stuff so maybe they upgrade to that eventually.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The dupe bug is fixed, so no more easy sharing on multiplayer servers. Aww. :(

But, the penguin boss is hellaciously easy now. If you have an iron bow (And you should, there's iron EVERYWHERE), he goes down in less than 10 shots. Looking forward to finding a decent DPS gun and owning the robot and dragon, too.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Holy poo poo, a sewer dungeon, Apex, and Glitch, all on the same planet? I love this default spawn. Thanks for the tip, glad I didn't jump away yet.

And just now on planet x=65869216 y=78676361 IIIb I've found another sewer dungeon below an outhouse, and there's now a pile-of-poo monster in addition to the poo-monster like out of that Kevin Smith movie. They've gone all out on the poo dungeons.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

xPanda posted:

And just now on planet x=65869216 y=78676361 IIIb I've found another sewer dungeon below an outhouse, and there's now a pile-of-poo monster in addition to the poo-monster like out of that Kevin Smith movie. They've gone all out on the poo dungeons.

But can you tame the poo monsters?

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
The 3d printer duping is fixed but I'm pretty sure you can still dupe by beaming up to a players ship having them put items to be duped in their storage and then having them log out and then you take the items leave and have them log back in to no change on their side.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Looks like if you pick up an item with your mouse from a container, and then hit esc, the item disappears. Ow.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

xPanda posted:

EDIT: if anyone comes across a Pulse Jump, could they show the coordinates here? I didn't realise how much I'd miss it.

Llyd posted:

Alpha Alphecca 1365 II a
X:31153053 Y:-48130990

Enough surface ore to solidly establish yourself in copper/iron tier (maybe more, only played 20min), wood & fiber.
Few screens to the left, a gigantic USCM prison complex for weapons and pixels.

Forgot about this :downs:. Go right a few screens and there's a tech chest with the pulse jump.

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

VDay posted:

It's a good thing he spent all afternoon 'balancing' the new weapons.

At least the game is broken in your advantage instead of against it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I started on a planet named after reddit. :(

It has a huge fort to the left of spawn and I have a 20dps weapon with 2.5 swing speed from the start. I'm kind of OP for this point and don't want to be.

My main grievance is the reddit thing though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bonermobile posted:

At least the game is broken in your advantage instead of against it.

Well, he didn't really spend a whole lot of time doing actual balance. He did a lot of time doing system implementation, converting items into the new system, and testing. They said right up front that it's not yet balanced.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

bonermobile posted:

:qqsay:

the problem is probably more that he spent only one afternoon on it

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm feeling more comfortable. I've got hunting knife, 2 of the three hoth armor pieces, an ape city to take over, food going. Restarting isn't so scary. Now all I need is a proper weapon, some good mines (steel/coal/gold , which I've scouted out, but not harvested) and I'm set for a spell.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Frankly I'm just glad we're past the wipe point and hoping that the changes they were talking about adding character stability means we won't have another one for a while. I know they're inevitable but that doesn't mean I enjoy them or anything.

The weapons need a lot of work. Crafted ones are godly, while the ones you find feel almost useless. Now that there's only 1 tier in alpha sector, all the weapons I find are basically starter weapons at best. I found that cool legendary bone sword but it only does 9 dps, less than my starter at 10. Conversely the cheapest craftable weapon (at a mere 2 iron bars) is 75. Drops and crafted DPS seem like the biggest issues that need fixing right now.
It's weird, as hosed as the weapon balance obviously is, I still think it's a step in the right direction. The weird armor/level coordination was just kind of unintuitive in a lot of ways and now I've got a much clearer bottom line while still being able to differentiate when some part of a weapon becomes more important than a few points in DPS.

A rough start but still hopefully laying the way for better stuff.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

What exactly gets edited so that cheaters like me can increase the power of the matter manipulator?

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
So I found what seemed to be a giant alien ship that was powered by crystals and it was inhabited by purple slow moving robots that didn't look like glitch, inside i found some kind of large generator object and i used it and it caused me to explode into gooey purple blocks of mush that went flying everywhere and stuck to the walls...

E: I went back to check it out, the generator is now closed and the purple blocks that used to be me are still there...

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 10, 2013

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So does anyone know how to unlock Silver Armor now? It's not showing up on my anvil anywhere, and I've already crafted a full copper set and found plenty of silver ore and bars.

Did they move it up a tier for some reason?

e: also, funny thing, the copper set (except the helm) is flat-out worse than starter clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
Ugh, why don't ships take wood as fuel now? I'm stuck in a starter planet that's the only planet in its entire system, so now I need to go mine 100 coal before I can do anything (I had just converted all of my leftover coal to torches).

• Locked thread