Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dr. Lariat posted:

You like frontier westerns? It's pretty decent, dumb at times but by no means bad. And don't get your hopes up, it's less about the exile and more, his first adventure on tattooine post ep. 3. I haven't seen "Shane" but I'm mostly certain it's just "Shane".
I really liked the characterization of Orrin. Goes from looking like a pretty alright guy, maybe he's got some problems, alright he's a complete bastard. I laughed really hard at the end when he shows up to gloat about how he's going to turn Ben over to the Empire, then crashes his speeder. Forcing him to live out the rest of his short life as a prisoner of the Tuskens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

"Well, I'm blogging on starwars.com so I can't take an entirely unambiguous poo poo all over this book...I guess Han dumping all his problems on Chewie and jumping into the action is pretty in-character! I just won't mention that Han is a whiny rear end in a top hat the rest of the book."

Hey, he said it, I'm just reporting it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Kenobi is no Thrawn trilogy, but it was at least fun to read.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I liked Kenobi a lot. The Tusken interludes weren't great and seemed to drag the book a bit, but still 7/10.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Visions of the Future was released unabridged on Audible today. It seemed like the delay between their release of Spectre of the Past was really long so I dug up some news post on TFN that said it was supposed to be released in October, so who knows what happened there. It clocks in at almost 26.5 hours so it should keep anybody busy for a while.

I figure they'll either do Choices of One or the X-Wing series next, probably both. It's going to be interesting to see if they bother with some of the lovely 90's books.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

KildarX posted:

I liked Kenobi a lot. The Tusken interludes weren't great and seemed to drag the book a bit, but still 7/10.

I didn't mind the Tusken parts nearly as much as the forced romance parts that we KNOW aren't going anywhere since we know Obi Wan's history pretty well at this point.

The earlier labeling of Kenobi as a "frontier western" is pretty drat spot on. I enjoyed it, 7/10 - it was a fun audiobook to drive to and from work with.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just finished Darth Plagueis.

Plagueis is probably one of my favorite anti-heroes in Star Wars, and second only to Palpatine himself as my favorite Sith. He's just so well written and such the antithesis of your stereotypically cartoonishly-evil bad guy. His motivations are of a type we see every day in the real world: a hyper-rich dude who wants to pull the strings and never die. He's not in it for genocide or some exaggerated lust for UNLIMIIIITED POWEEEERRRRRR, he's just in it for the esoteric mysteries of the Force.

I really loved how James Luceno wove this story into The Phantom Menace, and the idea that Plagueis is still alive during the events of Episode I is really, really appealing to me - for some reason I really loved the parts where he's observing events that we see happening on-screen in the movie.

That being said, I kinda hate how he died. I expected some pretty great murder scene between Sidious and Plagueis, and found it really off-putting that Sidious basically just got him drunk and then hosed up his respirator. Pretty lame, and though it made sense on the eve of Palpatine's rise to the office of Supreme Chancellor, there didn't seem to be much motivation for it beyond "I'm a Sith apprentice, and apprentices have to kill their masters." I mean, later in the EU we see Palpatine just as obsessed with immortality as Plagueis had been, so I really fail to understand why he would kill Plagueis before learning the secret, or at the very least try a bit harder to get it out of him. Throughout most of the book, Sidious seems to basically worship the ground Plagueis walks on, barring a few comparatively minor incidences where Sidious gets, at best, a bit miffed at misinterpreting Plagueis's actions as rebukes of Sidious.

That being said, it's the best Star Wars book I've read since the Thrawn Trilogy, and it did what I didn't think possible: actually got me interested in the Rise of the Empire Era again. I want more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Heh. This guy still exists.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

That site's Episode 7 summary posted:

Traveling through hyper space, Han Solo, Leia Solo, R2-D2, C-3PO and Chewbacca are on their way to Han's home world of Corellia to attend Han's mother's funeral. After securing a docking bay for the Millennium Falcon, the group exits the Falcon and hires a transport to take them to Han's mother's residence. There are many hundreds of people at the Solo's abode. Suddenly, Dark Jedi cyborgs attack the proceedings. A dramatic fire fight envelopes the Solo home. Han and Company duck for cover.

Where've you been all my life??

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Renzian posted:

Where've you been all my life??

Dark Jedi Cyborgs, I've only recently started reading into a lot of EU and it's still not the stupidest/silliest idea I've ever seen written. Looking at you Death Troopers.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
You know who else was a dark jedi cyborg? That's right.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Aren't there enemies in JK2 or Jedi Academy that are basically dark jedi cyborgs? I can't remember which game it was, but it was the one where the sith are creating a mass army of dark jedi by sticking dark side powered crystals into their troops or some poo poo.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Wouldn't Darth Vader be a dark Jedi cyborg, seeing as he's, y'know, a Jedi who fell to the dark side and is "more machine now than man"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You know who else was a dark jedi cyborg? That's right.

... Well, and Darth Vader.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's something else.

Some of the stuff the EU comes up with never ceases to crack me up.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

astr0man posted:

Aren't there enemies in JK2 or Jedi Academy that are basically dark jedi cyborgs? I can't remember which game it was, but it was the one where the sith are creating a mass army of dark jedi by sticking dark side powered crystals into their troops or some poo poo.

They were making the army of dark jedi by throwing them into a Force fountain thing. I don't remember there being cyborgs, but there was a type of enemy that had cortosis armor with some sort of crystal in the chest, that might be what you're thinking of.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
In defense of JK2 and Academy, those games ruled.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Drone posted:

Just finished Darth Plagueis.

Plagueis is probably one of my favorite anti-heroes in Star Wars, and second only to Palpatine himself as my favorite Sith. He's just so well written and such the antithesis of your stereotypically cartoonishly-evil bad guy. His motivations are of a type we see every day in the real world: a hyper-rich dude who wants to pull the strings and never die. He's not in it for genocide or some exaggerated lust for UNLIMIIIITED POWEEEERRRRRR, he's just in it for the esoteric mysteries of the Force.
Yeah, he's great. And I think this portrayal had some nice commentary on our current society. The Grand Plan of the Sith is simply having corporate interests become so dominant in the government that Democracy ceases to function.

quote:

I really loved how James Luceno wove this story into The Phantom Menace, and the idea that Plagueis is still alive during the events of Episode I is really, really appealing to me - for some reason I really loved the parts where he's observing events that we see happening on-screen in the movie.
I thought that was awesome, and puts TPM in a new light - as essentially Sidious's first big mission of his own. It also goes a long way towards explaining Maul, who, as TPM showed, was essentially just muscle for these very sophisticated Sith. All of TPM is Plagueis' plan, and Sidious is the executor of the plan. The Trade Federation was a device Plagueis had used for decades to foment problems throughout the galaxy, and the events of TPM are the near culmination of this long manipulation. I love that the book essentially "depowers" Sidious, since it could seem at times he was an all seeing, all powerful villain. This depowering gives him a lot more depth.

quote:

That being said, I kinda hate how he died. I expected some pretty great murder scene between Sidious and Plagueis, and found it really off-putting that Sidious basically just got him drunk and then hosed up his respirator. Pretty lame, and though it made sense on the eve of Palpatine's rise to the office of Supreme Chancellor, there didn't seem to be much motivation for it beyond "I'm a Sith apprentice, and apprentices have to kill their masters." I mean, later in the EU we see Palpatine just as obsessed with immortality as Plagueis had been, so I really fail to understand why he would kill Plagueis before learning the secret, or at the very least try a bit harder to get it out of him. Throughout most of the book, Sidious seems to basically worship the ground Plagueis walks on, barring a few comparatively minor incidences where Sidious gets, at best, a bit miffed at misinterpreting Plagueis's actions as rebukes of Sidious.
Yeah, it was kinda odd, but it neatly ties to how Plagueis kills his Master - via an unexpected development that forces the Master to lower their guard. In each murder, it does not appear premeditated, but rather a spontaneous reaction to sudden events. Sidious, for example, was getting ready to leave when it suddenly occurred to him that Plagueis was wasted and now was the time he could take him out. This manner of murder once again deepens Palpatine as a character for me, since while he's obviously very powerful, he's not all powerful, and in fact has doubts, makes mistakes, etc. What a great day for Sidious though - get's elected Chancellor and kills his Master.

quote:

That being said, it's the best Star Wars book I've read since the Thrawn Trilogy, and it did what I didn't think possible: actually got me interested in the Rise of the Empire Era again. I want more.

Same for me. I'd love to read stories of other Sith Masters and Apprentices if done in a similar manner.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

Same for me. I'd love to read stories of other Sith Masters and Apprentices if done in a similar manner.

Totally, I picked up Darth Bane after reading Plagueis but it was well, kinda lame.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

redshirt posted:

I'd love to read a sequel to Darth Plagueis just all about Sidious and Dooku, especially since Dooku's character (like just about everyone in the prequel trilogy) seems so drat stale in the movies.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

I'd love to read a sequel to Darth Plagueis just all about Sidious and Dooku, especially since Dooku's character (like just about everyone in the prequel trilogy) seems so drat stale in the movies.

Dooku's part in Plagueis was really understated but I enjoyed it quite a bit. A sequel book involving the two new Sith would flow really well, especially if they kept the same tone of antagonism/mutual respect between Dooku and Sidious that Plagueis and Sidious had.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Thwomp posted:

Dooku's part in Plagueis was really understated but I enjoyed it quite a bit. A sequel book involving the two new Sith would flow really well, especially if they kept the same tone of antagonism/mutual respect between Dooku and Sidious that Plagueis and Sidious had.

Dooku is yet another Sith who seems to have deeper motivations than just unlimited power bullshit. He's a complex villain (and you know, looking back on the prequel movies now, he wasn't really that villainous at ALL), and I want to see him developed a bit more. Going off of the events in Plagueis, for him becoming a Sith isn't so much about his desire for power or conquest or evil as it is about the Sith just being a different sort of philosophy about the Force and its role in galactic governance.

More gushing about why Plagueis is a really great book, basically.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To a certain extent, Dooku has already been addressed fairly extensively in Dark Rendezvous, but obviously it's focused on how he relates with Yoda rather than Sidious. It was probably the best Clone Wars book (jointly with Shatterpoint) so check it out if you haven't already.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Zoran posted:

In defense of JK2 and Academy, those games ruled.

JK2 was 30% of a good game

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dr. Lariat posted:

Totally, I picked up Darth Bane after reading Plagueis but it was well, kinda lame.

That stinks. Was it just lame, or actively bad? I've been thinking of picking it up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Drone posted:

I'd like to know more about 11-4D. Such a weird character - like he was a Sith droid. Plagueis seemed to really like him/it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

redshirt posted:

That stinks. Was it just lame, or actively bad? I've been thinking of picking it up.

I finished the first book and am currently middle of book two and it's a bit underwhelming, sorta like you get the cliff notes version of things. It's 300 pages that covers Bane from horrible teenage years till becoming Darth Bane after Thought Bombing the Brotherhood. I wish they could have expanded on his time in the Sith Army as a grunt and expanded on his Apprenticeship[I am a sucker for training sequences].

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

redshirt posted:

I'd like to know more about 11-4D. Such a weird character - like he was a Sith droid. Plagueis seemed to really like him/it.

I don't think he was inherently good or bad either, just an obedient droid who obeyed his master and did his job well. He never seemed like your HK-47 deprived morality type.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Drone posted:

I don't think he was inherently good or bad either, just an obedient droid who obeyed his master and did his job well. He never seemed like your HK-47 deprived morality type.

I found their relationship interesting. Plagueis seemed to take a big shine to the droid. Like they were best friends.

So is it confirmed that both Plagueis and Sidious created Anakin? They refer to a shift in the force that they accomplished, and then 8 years later they learn about Anakin.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
11-4D was definitely cool for just being amoral. Operated totally without regard to the ethics of anything.

Tenebrous' death simply meant it was without a master and Plagueis offered new work. It did seem to have a curious interest in the impossible things Plagueis attempted to do which actually fits a semi-intelligent droid.

*Logic circuits advise death = permament state.*
*Error in observation circuits as subject switched state from dead->alive 10 times.*
*ERROR ERROR ERROR*
*New factor in life equation = theForce*

redshirt posted:

So is it confirmed that both Plagueis and Sidious created Anakin? They refer to a shift in the force that they accomplished, and then 8 years later they learn about Anakin.
Yes but in a backwards way. The book doesn't go into details about it but it was my understanding that there were two major things that happen kinda off-page: the shift and new life.

The shift was this "astral plane" battle between the two Sith and the Force itself. They manage to tip the balance of the Force towards the Dark Side, increasing their own power over the Jedi and weakening the Jedi at the same time.

New life was their attempt to create a new life form purely through manipulation of the Force itself. This was a failure in that their actions didn't directly create the lifeform. However, the Sith have this mentality that the Force can "bounce back" against a user if they are not careful enough in their manipulations. A Sith must completely subjugate the Force in order to fully express its power. Despite all his knowledge, Plagueis still didn't have enough total control over the Force to create life. In his attempt though, a "bounce back" created Anakin.

At least, I think that's what happened. It's a bit strange that such important events happened entirely off-page.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 10, 2013

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thwomp posted:

11-4D was definitely cool for just being amoral. Operated totally without regard to the ethics of anything.

Tenebrous' death simply meant it was without a master and Plagueis offered new work. It did seem to have a curious interest in the impossible things Plagueis attempted to do which actually fits a semi-intelligent droid.

*Logic circuits advise death = permament state.*
*Error in observation circuits as subject switched state from dead->alive 10 times.*
*ERROR ERROR ERROR*
*New factor in life equation = theForce*

Yeah. 11-4D even says once "If only I had a tool as powerful as the Force".

I really just liked the adventures of Plaqueis and his best friend, 11-4D. A true odd couple.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

I guess the first one's okay, even though Bane is a bit of a Sue in it. It retcons out a lot of stuff that people didn't like about the Jedi vs Sith comic (granted, some of the stuff in that comic is a bit :stare:), but the second one is a bit naff (the way the Sith manage to avoid being caught is beyond stupid) and I've not read the third one but haven't heard great things about.

I read the first two when they came out and didn't re-read them. I'm not sure how long ago that was. Two or three years?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

I actually really liked the first half or so. It's the approach to and climax that landed with a thud. I'm unsure how to explain it without spoiling things but it seemed like a string of conveniences both for the characters and really lazy plotting to wrap it up. It's a shame because as I thought about it more I was really high on the first half but once Bane gets to sith school and the events afterward it became obvious it was written by a video game writer. Bane does a lot of leveling up and moving on to the next level and it falls flat.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One of the big problems I had with the Bane books, especially the first one, is that it's written by the guy who was the lead writer on KOTOR 1, so everything just seemed really focus on rehashing stuff from KOTOR. Off the top of my head the fact that Bane is basically the apprentice of Revan via a hologram, that Revan is the one who actually developed the rule of two, the battle at the end of KOTOR is stated as being the greatest defeat the Sith ever experienced in their history, Revan is stated as being the last 'real' Sith lord, etc. Also a lot of the planets and species that were prominent in KOTOR kept getting reused.

Then there were a few other more nerdy continuity points that irritated me, like the fact that this was supposed to be set at the end of a thousand-year war that basically destroyed galactic civilization, but the war is referred to only as the 'rebellion' which has only gone on for a few years. Or how Bane, Githany, and Kaan were written in the most boring way possible.

If someone like Luceno or Stover had written the Bane books I think they would have been EU classics (although really, after Traitor I imagine Stover probably doesn't have a lot more he'd want to say about the Jedi/Sith split*), but even if they had been written by an author who wasn't Karpyshyn (with both his limitations and his need to constantly make sure we all remember he wrote KOTOR) I think they would have been a lot better off.

*Speaking of Darth Plagueis, back in Star Wars Insider #130 Stover wrote a short-story tie-in for Darth Plagueis called "The Tenebrous Way", which was about Plagueis killing Tenebrous from the POV of Tenebrous. It was a cool little story that added a whole new dimension to the Plagueis-Tenebrous relationship but sadly I don't think it was ever included in any paperback reprints or anything beyond the magazine issue itself.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n62S2dNYbg#t=7

:3:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Chairman Capone posted:

If someone like Luceno or Stover had written the Bane books I think they would have been EU classics (although really, after Traitor I imagine Stover probably doesn't have a lot more he'd want to say about the Jedi/Sith split*), but even if they had been written by an author who wasn't Karpyshyn (with both his limitations and his need to constantly make sure we all remember he wrote KOTOR) I think they would have been a lot better off.

*Speaking of Darth Plagueis, back in Star Wars Insider #130 Stover wrote a short-story tie-in for Darth Plagueis called "The Tenebrous Way", which was about Plagueis killing Tenebrous from the POV of Tenebrous. It was a cool little story that added a whole new dimension to the Plagueis-Tenebrous relationship but sadly I don't think it was ever included in any paperback reprints or anything beyond the magazine issue itself.

I agree about Karpyshyn. God, it would be amazing if Stover had been able to get involved with that story, or as you said even Luceno would be awesome. They both are great at the "subtle" elements that make the Sith great reads.

Shame about that story, I would LOVE to find a copy of that.

edit: Found a copy of it, can't wait to give it a read.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Reminder that the A plot to book 2 was literally:

Sith lord finds Sith magic armor.
Sith magic armor turns out to be Sith cursed.
Sith lord goes looking for Sith magic to remove Sith magic armor.
Sith lord removes Sith magic armor.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

*stuff about Karpyshyn*

I didn't mind the first Bane book (I never read the comic it was based off), but the second book was terrible and the third marginally better. This is also the guy who wrote the Revan book a while back and decided to take a massive dump on everything to do with KOTOR 2. It wasn't even about Revan for half of it!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

api call girl posted:

Reminder that the A plot to book 2 was literally:

Sith lord finds Sith magic armor.
Sith magic armor turns out to be Sith cursed.
Sith lord goes looking for Sith magic to remove Sith magic armor.
Sith lord removes Sith magic armor.

There's also the bit where a bunch of Jedi find a one-handed lunatic waving a lightsabre at them and make the completely logical conclusion (and the narration, unless I'm much mistaken, basically goes out of its way to emphasise that this is a completely logical conclusion) that he must have been the mystery Sith who killed a strike team, which included two or three Jedi who were explicitly identified as the best lightsabre experts available, as well as the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order, while Bane and his apprentice are hiding under the floorboards they're standing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

chaosrefined posted:

I didn't mind the first Bane book (I never read the comic it was based off), but the second book was terrible and the third marginally better. This is also the guy who wrote the Revan book a while back and decided to take a massive dump on everything to do with KOTOR 2. It wasn't even about Revan for half of it!
And also made sure the Exile went out like a punk. Dude is just really bitter that someone else wrote a better Kotor than him.

But he's always been a hack, and I'm convinced that Mass Effect was some kind of fluke (or the result of having several other writers). His novelization of BG2:ToB was pure piss.