Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aurain posted:

God, I hope there's more coal on the neighbouring planet to my starter to leave the system.
I only found 57 on a full lap of my starter.
This wood change is pretty awful.
Lap? Did you try digging down? There's a ton of ore if you just go down a ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

pyrrho posted:

I've been playing this and loving every second.

Can someone just clarify something about the universe generation. I think I have it figured out.

Everything is totally random, from starting point and all worlds within a sector. However, if someone uses coordinates provided by somebody else, it will generate the exact same world but in your random universe?

Correct, though obviously won't have any changes made by the player who supplied the coordinates (as some people seem to believe).

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

pyrrho posted:

I've been playing this and loving every second.

Can someone just clarify something about the universe generation. I think I have it figured out.

Everything is totally random, from starting point and all worlds within a sector. However, if someone uses coordinates provided by somebody else, it will generate the exact same world but in your random universe?

Every universe is the same. Co-ords are basically world seeds that generate that specific planet, with fixed chest spawns and dungeons/facilities/biomes.

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
Weapons are really hosed yeah. That 1rst tier boss took like 4 arrows. Just gonna stop playing till they fix it.

Some French Guy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 10, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zereth posted:

Lap? Did you try digging down? There's a ton of ore if you just go down a ways.

Everything is made of rock, none of the caves had any.
It'd take hours to dig through cobblestone of such a thickness on the hope of finding coal. It's not exactly fun (to me).

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
It only costs 1 fuel to jump to another moon around the same planet, and only 50 to jump to another planet in the same solar system.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
Game decided to throw me a hardball for my new character. Poison water basically surrounding my start, trees that only drop plant fiber so I couldn't get to a pickaxe fast, fast mobile fliers and ground dudes with flamethrower-type attacks, and like no edible food outside of hunting or going pretty far to the right. Also, minimal surface iron and without reliable sources of wood I can't make torches for spelunking easily. Finally got stuff going (to the right a ways were some real trees) but sheesh.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Aurain posted:

God, I hope there's more coal on the neighbouring planet to my starter to leave the system.
I only found 57 on a full lap of my starter.
This wood change is pretty awful.
Have you tried digging down instead of just walking around? Mineral deposits get huge underground.

e: Oh, new page.
The underground has lots of huge caverns. Explore wisely. Even if you just dig straight through solid stone you'll find openings in no time.
A copper pick can make short work of the softer varieties of cobblestone, and going 9 at a time makes it much quicker.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tiyuri posted:

(Mon, 06:19:51P) @Tiy: all weapons configured!
(Mon, 06:19:51P) @Tiy: woo
(Mon, 06:20:01P) @Tiy: the most powerful weapon you can craft now does 4000 damage
(Mon, 06:20:08P) @Tiy: now to configure all armors
(Mon, 06:20:53P) @Tiy: tier 10 monsters have around 10,000 health

Meanwhile, the tier 10 weapons do 800,000+ dps. I think this may not be "working as intended".

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I'm surprised so many people were using wood to fuel their ship. It's both the more rare and more valuable resource (unless you just like to scour forest planets you're never going to return to and ruin its aesthetics, I guess) since it's used for so much different stuff and can be built as blocks.

Coal is on every planet for at least the first couple sectors, but trees are pretty scarce outside of specific biome types.

XboxPants posted:

Meanwhile, the tier 10 weapons do 800,000+ dps. I think this may not be "working as intended".
Hah, sounds like they scaled the four or five current tiers to cover all 10 tiers of difficulty, at least based on this.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 10, 2013

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Apparently just finished the endgame right when the patch came out. Looks like I'll have to say goodbye to my old ship. We had some good times together...

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Apparently just finished the endgame right when the patch came out. Looks like I'll have to say goodbye to my old ship. We had some good times together...

That is beautiful. Please, feel free to post more screenshots of your builds.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I really wanted to miss my bus this morning so I would have an excuse to stay home and play Starbound all day but welp :(

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I'm surprised so many people were using wood to fuel their ship. It's both the more rare and more valuable resource (unless you just like to scour forest planets you're never going to return to and ruin its aesthetics, I guess) since it's used for so much different stuff and can be built as blocks.
Floran ssstab trees

Really, if anything, wood being used in so many crafting objects is simply more reason for me to clearcut entire planets that I don't feel like turning into my base of operations. Now, if there were some way to replant trees, I might not be so inclined to go planetrazing...

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
So, while it's been dropped now and I really don't want to bring up the argument again, I do have a suggestion for a bit of a "pixel sink" that everyone should be able to get behind. Skip the next paragraph if you are already decided in the argument to save us all some time.

First, just so people know where I'm coming from here: I don't care for pixels as a method of gating progression. Using them as a secondary currency (3D printing) is perfectly fine and reasonable. And under the current system I could definitely support the 30% death tax and 40% bank tax if that's all it was used for. Possibly also for big ticket craftables ("legendary" gear or something similar). But for basically every crafted item, that is a bit much.

Now, my suggestion popped into my head as I caught back up with the thread - let us use them for fuel. Let us dump pixels in at a lesser tax rate than banking them because there is no retrieving them. Maybe increase the max stacking of fuel a bit so you can bank several trips, or even a long round trip. And possibly just get rid of coal as a fuel source (we have a boiler powered generator for our faster than light capable ships? :psyduck:). The coal thing wouldn't work if pixels are still used as a gating system because low level players would quite simply have to farm a ridiculous amount of pixels to both progress and be able to travel.

E: and I like the message to players if they're dying a lot: you need to go somewhere else or you're going to lose the ability to go other places.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 10, 2013

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Just started a new character, hoped the patch would have fixed that initial roadblock of trying to find enough iron to make an anvil to make better armour while getting murdered horribly by the lowest level monsters. Nope, still tedious as gently caress! And now even worse since they removed one of the things you could use to fuel your ship to go try looking on other planets!

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Snow Infantry is still better than the entire first tier of armor, and now you don't need to craft copper to make silver, so you might as well just skip that poo poo and use your anvil to make an iron hunting bow. That's like, what, 13 iron bars total? Still tedious if you get unlucky, but nothing terrible.

Though farming for leather is totally actually tedious even when you are one-shotting everything with the bow.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Why even HAVE a first tier of hunting bow if it doesn't kill anything?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I'm surprised so many people were using wood to fuel their ship. It's both the more rare and more valuable resource (unless you just like to scour forest planets you're never going to return to and ruin its aesthetics, I guess)
... Yes? :confused:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Our beta client upgraded from Perturbed Koala to Annoyed Koala.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

In case you needed more evidence that Floran are the master race:

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Does anyone know how to get the "Endomorphic Jelly" required for the Durasteel Tech Upgrade? Can't figure out where to get it. It's pretty confusing how the divide up which crafting device makes what.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just started up this morning and-

OpenGL version main menu. Anyone have this issue or a possible fix?

e:This is the spaceship:

Also, I'm running a GTX 660ti and i5 3570k with Win 7.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 10, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How do you modify what's in your starting chest?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

xPanda posted:

Does anyone know how to get the "Endomorphic Jelly" required for the Durasteel Tech Upgrade? Can't figure out where to get it. It's pretty confusing how the divide up which crafting device makes what.

prolly from the new jelly boss that apparently spawns using peanut butter or something

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Steel crafted weapons OP

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

ViggyNash posted:

Just started up this morning and-

OpenGL version main menu. Anyone have this issue or a possible fix?

e:This is the spaceship:

Also, I'm running a GTX 660ti and i5 3570k with Win 7.

Where did you get the Atari 2600 version? I had no idea they were going to support that console. Then again, it has a larger install base than OUYA.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Zlodo posted:

prolly from the new jelly boss that apparently spawns using peanut butter or something

Due to the nature of this game, I have absolutely no idea whether or not you are serious. And that's why this game is great.

But seriously?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

How do you modify what's in your starting chest?

Go to your Starbound folder (probably in Steam/Steamapps/common), and go to assets/treasure/default.treasurepools. You'll want to use a proper code text editor like Notepad++ for it rather than something like notepad, because having spaces in the wrong spots can and will cause the game to crash or the worldgen to fail.

Find the bit for your race ("glitchStarterTreasure" for example) and you can freely add items to the list so long as you use identical formatting to the existing ones. Actual item names can be found in the assets/items folder, and clothing sets with specific parts will need to be called "coolchest" and "coollegs" rather than just "cool" or "cool.chest" like the filename. Clothing sets with only one piece, such as individual hats, can just use their name without adding "head" to the end.

I don't know how to set random (or specific) weapon spawns or levels, though, and as far as I can tell, there's also not a way to give yourself specific colors of things.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 10, 2013

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Starbound posted:

AND we know weapon damage was messed up along the way. Fixing that. Sorry!

They're aware :)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Suaimhneas posted:

Just started a new character, hoped the patch would have fixed that initial roadblock of trying to find enough iron to make an anvil to make better armour while getting murdered horribly by the lowest level monsters. Nope, still tedious as gently caress! And now even worse since they removed one of the things you could use to fuel your ship to go try looking on other planets!

canepazzo posted:

They're aware :)

That's nice, still won't do anything about Spawn World monsters completly ruining your poo poo. I'm up against some pig turtle looking mother fuckers with lightning beams. One of them decided "gently caress you, I'm firing two at once" and knocked me down from full 110 Health (+10 from my starting shirt, WOW) to 3 bars :shepface: If they mean raising starting weapon damage, oh good I can fight animals who can take off 1/3 my health per attack outside my sword range with something slightly stronger. If them mean nerfing the later tier weapons, not like starter characters will notice a difference. Is it also me, or do beds heal slower now?

At least my stone pickaxe goes through cobblestones slightly faster though, three whole tap noises less adds up and cobblestone digging for copper I can see doesn't make me want to kill myself.

EDIT: Fuckers did it AGAIN. At least these particular enemies seem to let me take a couple free shots with the bow while they are asleep/grazing before rocketing across the screen and ramming a pair of lightning beams up my anus.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 10, 2013

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

xPanda posted:

Due to the nature of this game, I have absolutely no idea whether or not you are serious. And that's why this game is great.

But seriously?

poe's law bitch

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Were shields changed to only block some damage this patch or are they completely busted too? I used about 7 or 8 different shields ranging from tier 1 to 3 and none of them blocked at all.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Azzents posted:

Were shields changed to only block some damage this patch or are they completely busted too? I used about 7 or 8 different shields ranging from tier 1 to 3 and none of them blocked at all.

They're boned up really hard and you shouldn't use em for now. If they are blocking a portion of damage, it's so small that it's indistinguishable from just plain damage variation.

Unrelated combat bugginess: Death animations for bird enemies tend to count as attack animations for some reason. Their corpses turn into tiny damage bombs.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Downloading the patch right now, kinda scared by the tales of how everyone seems to get murdered all the time on their spawn world :ohdear:

Also, I'm going to miss my professional robo poop chute

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I played for 20 minutes and got this:

I can already set poo poo on fire :unsmigghh:

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
How much variation from the main story missions are there between the classes? Is it only flavour text that changes?

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Tin Tim posted:

Downloading the patch right now, kinda scared by the tales of how everyone seems to get murdered all the time on their spawn world :ohdear:

Also, I'm going to miss my professional robo poop chute

As I quickly discovered after the patch, you can now line your robo poop chute with sewage tiles and poo decorations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I beamed into my starter planet and got assfucked by a flock of flying birds who spammed me with fireballs that 2 shotted me. This is a good patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Just in case you needed further proof that weapon balance is completely out of whack at the moment. Fear the power of the stars!

• Locked thread