Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DoctorTristan posted:

It's as if he saw his marginal costs dropping as the print runs grew larger and was determined not to make any money off that.

Didn't he explicitly say this at one point? Something about not wanting the kickstarter to end up as a charity for him or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
There's no charity quite like selling loving products.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dude wanted glossy, high quality printing on thick paper that was 100% recycled at a cost competitive with most graphic novel trade paperbacks. He cut corners nowhere except the price. You do the math.

The man wants to put out a quality product because he loves his work. I can respect that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"I make a niche product for a small but dedicated audience, so my profit margins are terrible because I can't get economy of scale working for me" is practically the Platonic ideal of when you need to go digital, and like it's already been said, maybe the fact that as soon as Burlew sold anything online he literally made a million dollars should have been a clue.

Dude wants to keep on keeping on like it's 1980 and living off of sales to Android's Dungeons. Which, hey, I've got nothing against an Android's Dungeon. It's great fun to find one and go in and browse their completely disorganized shelves and see what weird poo poo you can find. But holy poo poo, it's not a business model any more. It barely was even at the best of times.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Mystic Mongol posted:

There's no charity quite like selling loving products.
He probably makes up for it in volume.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
It's not that weird. It's about piracy, and Rich is smart enough to know you can't admit that piracy is anything other than a total benefit for content creators without getting crucified by the internet. I've been there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zetetica posted:

It's not that weird. It's about piracy, and Rich is smart enough to know you can't admit that piracy is anything other than a total benefit for content creators without getting crucified by the internet. I've been there.

This would be a better argument if scanners didn't exist.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Who What Now posted:

People are lazy and not many people are going to put out the effort to scan the books in, let alone at decent quality.

There's also the issue of how much would he charge for a pdf. Would people pay the same price as a book? Of course not! So what is fair then? 20? 15? 10? 5? Now its just getting silly.

Of course his argument assumes there are people who would buy the PDF instead of the hardcopy, a very large number of people, instead of people buying ONLY the PDF who would have never bought the books otherwise. Which I think is the more likely case, so that pretty much renders other arguments moot. One day he'll have to put out official pdf versions, there is a limit to how many times you can reprint books for late coming fans.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Who What Now posted:

Scanners, like all media pirates, have diminishing impact when you make it easier to get the product. Digital distribution does that, and lowers cost.

There's a reason stuff like Hulu exists.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gally posted:

People are lazy and not many people are going to put out the effort to scan the books in, let alone at decent quality.

It doesn't matter if "not many people" would do it. All it takes is one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Small press publisher Kenzerco puts out some of the highest print and build quality books there are in the gaming world, at ridiculous prices, and they somehow still manage to put out PDFs as well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zetetica posted:

But the pdf argument is that he could make significantly more money by supplying strips in digital form and also not be constantly scrabbling for cash to build inventory. That's a testable proposition but he has no interest in testing it.

To my mind it comes back to him being stubborn, but he'd probably not be writing fantasy War and Peace in an obsolete pen and paper rpg format if he wasn't incredibly stubborn, so y'know.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
He straight up said the reason he prints it is because he enjoys his work being in books, and wants to keep it in books, and doesn't really care about the finances as long as he can still eat and have a place to live.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jsoh posted:

He straight up said the reason he prints it is because he enjoys his work being in books, and wants to keep it in books, and doesn't really care about the finances as long as he can still eat and have a place to live.

Right. It's sort of crappy for people to be disparaging on Rich for not being money-hungry enough and making up reasons for why he doesn't do .pdfs.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Honestly, I also wouldn't doubt it that he's just had it up to his eyeteeth with people criticizing every little thing he does. Burlew's "lucked" into one of the most fractious, detail-oriented fan communities on the Internet, and in his position, I could very easily see myself having a similar "this is how I'm doing it, gently caress right off" attitude to the entire thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who What Now posted:

Right. It's sort of crappy for people to be disparaging on Rich for not being money-hungry enough and making up reasons for why he doesn't do .pdfs.

Not really. I'm going to be paying like $NZ90 for his next collection, probably 80% of which he won't see. Being keen to get it some other way and make sure all the money goes to him isn't lovely.

But, eh, there's not much to be said about it. Dude isn't gonna change his mind.

Edit: I hope Rich is ok :ohdear:

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

There's also the fact that more than half of his books are just compilations of strips that are already on his website, so to sell those in PDF form would be a bit redundant. He'd be setting up a whole new distribution service just to sell two books.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Heatwizard posted:

There's also the fact that more than half of his books are just compilations of strips that are already on his website, so to sell those in PDF form would be a bit redundant. He'd be setting up a whole new distribution service just to sell two books.
There are commentaries and bonus strips.

That I want very much :(

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

There are commentaries and bonus strips.

That I want very much :(

Yeah, but you're saying that as someone who's already looking to spend money on him. Joe Average generally doesn't go out of his way for a handful of director's commentary.

I mean, I'd love to be able to grab a pdf of Origin of PCs, but considering how long it takes Rich to draw six stick figures insulting each other, you know the errand would take ages anyway. :V

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Heatwizard posted:

He'd be setting up a whole new distribution service just to sell two books.

He could sell through an existing service, like Comixology. It already has some collections of webcomics, like Grundurig(sp?) Court.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tinyn posted:

It already has some collections of webcomics, like Grundurig(sp?) Court.

Close, it's Gunnerkrigg

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Heatwizard posted:

I mean, I'd love to be able to grab a pdf of Origin of PCs, but considering how long it takes Rich to draw six stick figures insulting each other, you know the errand would take ages anyway. :V

The one you really want is Start of Darkness, trust me.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

The one you really want is Start of Darkness, trust me.

I already have that one.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I hope Rich... *refreshes GITP page* ...is ok.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Illuyankas posted:

I hope Rich... *refreshes GITP page* ...is ok.

I just did this a few minutes ago :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

greatn posted:

Small press publisher Kenzerco puts out some of the highest print and build quality books there are in the gaming world, at ridiculous prices, and they somehow still manage to put out PDFs as well.

I'd be very interested to see Knights of the Dinner Table vs. Everything Else Kenzerco Releases, though.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I just did this a few minutes ago :(

You fools killed the magic in those words.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

You fools killed the magic in those words.

I hope "I hope Rich is okay" is okay.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Well, let's pass the time with some trivia. Is the last gate actually in the dwarven lands or just some nonspecific northern location?

Also, how exactly is Durkon going to bring doom to his homeland? Yes, he's a vampire now, but the combined priesthood of the northern gods should be able to deal with one vampire. I mean, vampires are dangerous, but they are hardly civilization ending monsters, are they?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

e X posted:

Well, let's pass the time with some trivia. Is the last gate actually in the dwarven lands or just some nonspecific northern location?

Also, how exactly is Durkon going to bring doom to his homeland? Yes, he's a vampire now, but the combined priesthood of the northern gods should be able to deal with one vampire. I mean, vampires are dangerous, but they are hardly civilization ending monsters, are they?

Depends on how peckish they get.

It could be dwarf blood is too thinned out by all that booze and he has to go through dwarves like they were popcorn to slake his thirst.

I could totally see this as an in-character excuse to wipe out (convert) the homeland that spurned you.

As far as the priests go, he knows everything they can do. Remember how difficult it was for him to deal with Malak. Priests themselves have all sorts of things to disable the classic weaknesses vampires have. Not to mention sunlight is hard to get underground.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Kalas posted:

Depends on how peckish they get.

It could be dwarf blood is too thinned out by all that booze and he has to go through dwarves like they were popcorn to slake his thirst.

I could totally see this as an in-character excuse to wipe out (convert) the homeland that spurned you.

As far as the priests go, he knows everything they can do. Remember how difficult it was for him to deal with Malak. Priests themselves have all sorts of things to disable the classic weaknesses vampires have. Not to mention sunlight is hard to get underground.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't know that they spurned him. He was "sent on a quest", but the letter that the replacement high priest sent to Durkula vis a vis Shinjo's messenger was lost before it got to him (RIP Miko). For all he knows, he's posthumously (postdwarfously?) returning to a country waiting to accept him with open arms (since they don't know about the vampirism).

My question is - with Durkula's dramatic wardrobe change, does that mean regular passers-by will recognize him as a vampire? Malack hid it by being a lizardfolk, and I know that some vampires can get by with decent enough disguises I suppose. We see it because we've witnessed the whole thing. Would any of their past allies (Hinjo?) recognize the change at a glance? Detect Evil notwithstanding, I mean.

Because he could conceivably walk into the dwarven homeland and attend dwarven highschool for generations, feeding on subterranean deer and sparkling in the moonlight while Bella what was that dwarf from the original dungeon, Hilga? waxes poetic about the trials of adolescent dwarf life.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

e X posted:

Little known fact: dwarven vampires can animate armies of trees.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

Little known fact: dwarven vampires can animate armies of trees.

Order the trees to all climb up a mountain, raising the stakes too high.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
The prophecy-cheating way would be that the battle over the last gate destroys the dwarven homeland. Durkon brought the doom by helping to destroy the other gates.

More natural, I think, is that he'll learn the truth (or some of the truth) about being sent away and his new personality will dictate bloody revenge on the priesthood.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Illuyankas posted:

Order the trees to all climb up a mountain, raising the stakes too high.

Haaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mniot posted:

The prophecy-cheating way would be that the battle over the last gate destroys the dwarven homeland. Durkon brought the doom by helping to destroy the other gates.

Or he could potentially come to the decision that facing whatever would ensue from breaking all five would be preferable to the guaranteed destruction Xykon and Redcloak would use it for, and personally destroys it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or maybe he just casts doom, which surprisingly had never been cast there.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

greatn posted:

Or maybe he just casts doom, which surprisingly had never been cast there.

That would be amazing. I don't know how Rich can resist just constantly trolling his readers with things like that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Here's a take: The prophecy by the High Priest of Odin turns out to be metaphorical. As I recall, the exact wording was "when he next returns home, he will bring death and destruction to us all." Death and Destruction are cleric domains that one would expect the northern goddess Hel to have. Given the way she's shown up as a nemesis for Thor in the comic, I suspect that Durkon's about to find out that Thor will reject his worship...but that Hel will take it, making him her first dwarven cleric, and possibly with a mandate to recruit more worshipers for her. It could be that rather than sparking a dwarven genocide, what Durkula's actually going to do is bring worship of Hel to the people...to give the gift of Death and Destruction spells to the dwarven people!

EDIT: Of course it's also possible that I'm not remembering it correctly, and since I can't find my copy of "On the Origin of PCs" it's hard to check right now. :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

jng2058 posted:

EDIT: Of course it's also possible that I'm not remembering it correctly, and since I can't find my copy of "On the Origin of PCs" it's hard to check right now. :shrug:
Nah, you've got the wording correct.