Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Captain Oblivious posted:

At this point I'm at a loss to explain Nintendo's strategy, or lack thereof. There has to be some kind of reason, however misguided, for this right?

Or is this just the logical conclusion of "Japanese game devs don't know what the gently caress marketing is"?

They're basically employing the same strategy Sega used in 1995, when people didn't know the difference between the Saturn and the 32X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Now I have to pretend that people read gaming news sites still? Can't do it.

Seriously? Information about video games always spreads all over the internet. People the least bit interested in video games will hear all about the latest games on the internet. Do you not know how the internet works?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Captain Oblivious posted:

Or is this just the logical conclusion of "Japanese game devs don't know what the gently caress marketing is"?

Maybe the formulation of this question indicates the problem. It shouldn't matter that Japanese game developers don't know about North American marketing; they should let their North American marketing division do their job. I wonder if there's a bit too much micromanagement from Kyoto?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Nah, you guys, turning down an opportunity to market your worst-selling system is super innovative because

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

midwat posted:

Nah, you guys, turning down an opportunity to market your worst-selling system is super innovative because

you joke but there was a thread on neogaf where this argument was brought up

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Asema posted:

you joke but there was a thread on neogaf where this argument was brought up

God that thread ... :bang:

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Maybe the formulation of this question indicates the problem. It shouldn't matter that Japanese game developers don't know about North American marketing; they should let their North American marketing division do their job. I wonder if there's a bit too much micromanagement from Kyoto?

Except I think it doesn't even sell in Japan.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

After this year's big announcement Cranky Kong was trending on twitter. I know that means absolutely nothing here and probably amounts to a couple dozen software sales, but when you're in marketing twitter is a big deal right now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Heran Bago posted:

After this year's big announcement Cranky Kong was trending on twitter. I know that means absolutely nothing here and probably amounts to a couple dozen software sales, but when you're in marketing twitter is a big deal right now.

Mostly negative though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

People don't need to watch it. If an announcement is made that interests people, it won't be long before everyone knows.

If your initial announcement is in front of a million eyeballs instead of 200,000, the news spreads quicker, and wider. Television is still the most powerful way to sell things.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

Seriously? Information about video games always spreads all over the internet. People the least bit interested in video games will hear all about the latest games on the internet. Do you not know how the internet works?
I know how the internet works, I just dont believe that a great amount of people get their news from gaming news sites anymore. They get it from Twitter or whatever social network they're on, or from seeing a trailer on Youtube. They find out through word of mouth. Or they find out on a message board. Our society prides itself on exhausting and requiring the least possible amount of effort in order to be educated, which should be obvious to everyone in this thread because it does not take much effort to find out if the Wii U is a new console and that amount of effort is still too much for Americans.

But Nintendo's Youtube reach is inadequate -- the trailer for Knack has 4 times the views as Nintendo's last Nintendo Direct, and Knack isn't even a good or notable game. And whether their news reaches someone on Twitter depends on several factors -- if their trends are tailored to their interests, which is optional, and whether they'd even go out and search for news for a system they don't own, which is pretty unlikely. Even if someone religiously goes to Joystiq, they have individual sections for each system, and why is someone who doesn't own a Wii U going to browse that section?

Also there's the whole matter of, if the Nintendo Directs were having their desired effect and reach, there'd be, you know, better sales??? The sales maybe not being in the toilet??? The continued lack of knowledge about the system and its software diminishing???

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 10, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

I know how the internet works, I just dont believe that a great amount of people get their news from gaming news sites anymore. They get it from Twitter or whatever social network they're on, or from seeing a trailer on Youtube. They find out through word of mouth. Or they find out on a message board. Our society prides itself on exhausting and requiring the least possible amount of effort in order to be educated, which should be obvious to everyone in this thread because it does not take much effort to find out if the Wii U is a new console and that amount of effort is still too much for Americans.

But Nintendo's Youtube reach is inadequate -- the trailer for Knack has 4 times the views as Nintendo's last Nintendo Direct, and Knack isn't even a good or notable game. And whether their news reaches someone on Twitter depends on several factors -- if their trends are tailored to their interests, which is optional, and whether they'd even go out and search for news for a system they don't own, which is pretty unlikely. Even if someone religiously goes to Joystiq, they have individual sections for each system, and why is someone who doesn't own a Wii U going to browse that section?

People who like Bayonetta or action games or Platinum games are going to have corresponding interests registered on facebook and in their youtube recommendations. You seem to have an outdated idea of the way the internet delivers information. It's a lot more passive than it once was and doesn't necessitate news to be actively sought after.

quote:

Also there's the whole matter of, if the Nintendo Directs were having their desired effect and reach, there'd be, you know, better sales??? The sales maybe not being in the toilet??? The continued lack of knowledge about the system and its software diminishing???

Advertising can only do so much when the product is so unattractive. It guarantees nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Except all of those things are tied to gaming sites. If someone gets their news from a Facebook post, it's usually a link to a website. If someone posts a video it's usually from IGN or Gametrailers or whoever. These things don't spring from the ether without context and the benefit of something like Twitter is that it makes people seek out more information. Usually on gaming websites. The websites themselves tend to be the source of the information and it spreads from there. That is why it is so common for basic misinformation to spread from a single source or for any single breaking bit of news to have a long trail that goes back to one source.

Facebook and Twitter and so-on haven't replaced the traditional news source. They have amplified it by allowing people who are invested to spread that word of mouth to people who are normally not invested. That is why it is such a powerful marketing tool. That isn't to say Nintendo's own particular method of advertising is the way to go but going 'what's the point of (x) websites, we have Twitter now' requires a pretty drastic misunderstanding of why Twitter is an effective marketing tool.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 10, 2013

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

You are almost grasping how the internet works but you aren't quite there, as has been said information can start in one place and spread to everyone on the internet through various means as you have described. So what is posted on a gaming news website becomes spread around, for example people talking about it on twitter, maybe even causing a "trend". If there was some kind of groundbreaking and amazing piece of information released about the Wii U, the entire gaming world would know about it within a very short time. Yes, even if the only place it was mentioned first was at a Nintendo Direct. However there is no such magic nugget of news which is set to entice people to buy the Wii U in droves. The problem is not really lack of awareness of the Wii U but more that it is just not a desirable product, especially now in the face of the new competition.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

univbee posted:

You know how various music labels were convinced that everything would be fine if they continued to charge a fortune for CD albums and refused to distribute music any other way? This type of business stubbornness permeates all aspects of Japanese business culture where the status quo reigns supreme. For example, you're expected to pay a TV license in Japan for NHK much like what people in the UK do for the BBC. However, they have basically no recourse against non-payers, simply because so many people just pay it because it's what's expected, and it was only a few years ago that enough of the public stopped paying their TV license that the NHK started getting concerned. (Meanwhile the BBC in the UK can leverage fines of thousands of dollars against people they identify as owning a TV without a license, and have things like scanner trucks to detect if people have TV's or not)

Slight derail but TV Licensing in the UK do not have detector vans, they have vans with a TV Licence logo on it and they drive through areas with a high percentage of non payers to scare them into paying.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Just watched some of the latest Nintendo Direct.

It's a 15 minute advert for their new Louvre software, which is a $20 download-only 3DS... audio/visual interactive guide to the Louvre?

They should've announced that at VGX instead. Probably would've gotten more interest than Cranky Kong.

And btw the comments on sites reporting the VGX announcement are incredible. Some seriously intense Nintendo fans flipping out about how the Wii U is the best and the PS4/Xbone are terrible and only Nintendo makes good games.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Edmund Honda posted:

And btw the comments on sites reporting the VGX announcement are incredible. Some seriously intense Nintendo fans flipping out about how the Wii U is the best and the PS4/Xbone are terrible and only Nintendo makes good games.

There are Wii U fans?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The_Frag_Man posted:

There are Wii U fans?

The whole reason this thread exists is because the WiiU fans were getting mad at us...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MassRafTer posted:

If your initial announcement is in front of a million eyeballs instead of 200,000, the news spreads quicker, and wider. Television is still the most powerful way to sell things.

Hahaha... you think VGX had a million viewers?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Advertising can only do so much when the product is so unattractive. It guarantees nothing.

Pretty much this. All those ads Nintendo finally ran on TV really boosted sales, right?

Nobody wants the system. It's filled with sequels of games that were popular on the Wii or 3DS with very little innovation that nobody wants. The new IPs they've had on it which would appeal to this "Core Gamer" are doing even worse. I don't know why people think showing X or Bayonetta 2 at VGX would have done anything, those games are going to sell just as horrible as Wonderful 101.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Astro7x posted:

I don't know why people think showing X or Bayonetta 2 at VGX would have done anything, those games are going to sell just as horrible as Wonderful 101.

It would have been better than showing Cranky Kong and thinking that was a big deal. At least it would have given the impression Nintendo knew what the gently caress they were doing when they said they had a big announcement for VGX.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TaurusOxford posted:

It would have been better than showing Cranky Kong and thinking that was a big deal. At least it would have given the impression Nintendo knew what the gently caress they were doing when they said they had a big announcement for VGX.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't give a poo poo about it but was doing it for some incentive VGX offered and burned what would normally be a worthless announcement on a terrible output. For any decent announcement it always comes through either Nintendo Direct or a real trade show and not some terrible fake award show.

midwat
May 6, 2007

It's almost as if there's a good number of people who neither watch Nintendo Directs nor visit gaming sites, but do have a magic box in their houses that receives broadcasts.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

flyboi posted:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't give a poo poo about it but was doing it for some incentive VGX offered and burned what would normally be a worthless announcement on a terrible output. For any decent announcement it always comes through either Nintendo Direct or a real trade show and not some terrible fake award show.

Again, the issue is that the VGX caters to a demographic that they are currently not reaching at all and could be extremely valuable if tapped. Something like a new X trailer could have at least gotten the Wii U on these people's radar as they are likely not the people going out of their way to watch Nintendo Directs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

flyboi posted:

For any decent announcement it always comes through either Nintendo Direct or a real trade show and not some terrible fake award show.

Anyone who watches Nintendo Direct already has a WiiU(and even that is a stretch) - Nintendo doesn't give a gently caress about those people cause they already spent the cash. Nintendo needs to attract people who would randomly catch VGX on TV, and Cranky Kong is not going to do anything to attract those people.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TaurusOxford posted:

Anyone who watches Nintendo Direct already has a WiiU(and even that is a stretch)

Or they own a 3DS and there are a lot more 3DS owners than Wii U owners. Also more likely for a 3DS owner to buy a Wii U than a guy watching VGX for the new Tom Clancy guns in streets game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Or they own a 3DS and there are a lot more 3DS owners than Wii U owners. Also more likely for a 3DS owner to buy a Wii U than a guy watching VGX for the new Tom Clancy guns in streets game.

Or they watch them on Youtube, since Nintendo has a Youtube channel and posts them there.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Which is why Nintendo only marketed the Wii to Gamecube owners, because they were the ones most likely to buy a new Nintendo system.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What a terrible marketing strategy.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You should never market to people who aren't already your customers. I learned that on day 1 of marketing school.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Phantasium posted:

Or they watch them on Youtube, since Nintendo has a Youtube channel and posts them there.

They're also streamed live and anyone with a web browser can watch them. I've never watched a Nintendo Direct on my Wii U or my 3DS.

Edit: Nintendo Directs also always generate a ton of free press for Nintendo. After every single one every news outlet pumps out 5-10 articles to go over every announcement that has happened which in itself is free marketing.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 10, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

zenintrude posted:

Again, the issue is that the VGX caters to a demographic that they are currently not reaching at all and could be extremely valuable if tapped. Something like a new X trailer could have at least gotten the Wii U on these people's radar as they are likely not the people going out of their way to watch Nintendo Directs.

The people that actually care about X are a very vocal minority of gamers on the internet that already know about it. I mean I only see people mention it ever other day, and I'm not even actively seeking out information on it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Astro7x posted:

The people that actually care about X are a very vocal minority of gamers on the internet that already know about it. I mean I only see people mention it ever other day, and I'm not even actively seeking out information on it.

Maybe because only people who watch Nintendo Directs and post on forums know about it...

Elder Scrolls games sell a fuckload because people outside of forums actually know that they exist.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zenintrude posted:

Maybe because only people who watch Nintendo Directs and post on forums know about it...

Elder Scrolls games sell a fuckload because people outside of forums actually know that they exist.

Searching for "Nintendo Direct" on Google news says you're wrong. I'm seeing posts on plenty of non-gaming sites such as the Indianapolis Star, MSNBC, Examiner, etc. Sure there's tons of gaming websites posting but if you're getting a free op-ed post on a major news source I'd say your delivery method is fairly certain.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

zenintrude posted:

Elder Scrolls is a game that is actually released. X is a game that has had as far as I know a single trailer shown from back in June and has since had no new info announced. For all we know it could be released next year, or the Wii U dies a Dreamcast death and it never sees the light of day and the game is canceled. Or it's already canceled, which is why we have heard nothing about it.

I want to believe...

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apcVEk1SaS0

This looks like a cool game. I'm a Wii-U owner and have only watched the E3 Nintendo Direct. Have any of them ever talked about this game?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ghostwritingduck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apcVEk1SaS0

This looks like a cool game. I'm a Wii-U owner and have only watched the E3 Nintendo Direct. Have any of them ever talked about this game?

I heard it's coming out next year along with Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Astro7x posted:

Elder Scrolls is a game that is actually released. X is a game that has had as far as I know a single trailer shown from back in June and has since had no new info announced. For all we know it could be released next year, or the Wii U dies a Dreamcast death and it never sees the light of day and the game is canceled. Or it's already canceled, which is why we have heard nothing about it.

I want to believe...

While I agree on the specifics, my point was that Nintendo missed out on using an opportunity to address their non-traditional audience in a way that would benefit/satisfy/however-you-want-to-put-it their stated goal with the Wii U of attracting core gamers (i.e. the U)

Whether it was X in particular or some other game that they could use to entice that audience is beside the point. But maybe they simply have nothing in the wings that is going to attract that audience and they have completely forgotten their original intent with releasing the Wii U.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

zenintrude posted:

But maybe they simply have nothing in the wings that is going to attract that audience and they have completely forgotten their original intent with releasing the Wii U.

Exactly.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Exactly.
Huh? Has there been any news or other concrete evidence to believe that X has been cancelled?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
No, but it wouldn't be the first time a game is announced at E3 once and then we never hear of it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PrBacterio posted:

Huh? Has there been any news or other concrete evidence to believe that X has been cancelled?

No.

Monolith is also a very quiet company. It was only revealed in January and then given a trailer in June (which Iwata discussed). It probably won't be released until late 2014.

Don't let that stop Astro7x for trying to create doom and gloom out of thin air.

"Nintendo didn't reveal more information on a game they never said they were going to? IT MUST BE CANCELED! :stare:"

• Locked thread