Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tracula posted:

Yo just so ya'll know.

Don't get too attached again too quickly.

Nooooo my shark hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Underwhelmed posted:

I would not want to be the community manager for Chuckle Fish's forums right now, or really ever. I wouldn't even want to meet meet one of them, I cannot imagine what sort of dried out husks of humanity they would be after even one day dealing with one of the most toxic fan bases imaginable.

Right now it's mostly being flooded with "birds too OP, game is dead" and "where my character go".

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Deadly Hume posted:

Seems to me like they'll knock this fix out pretty quickly once they sort out the problem, because it seems like someone goofed.

More specifically:

In the new system, gear uses a range of values determined by level. However, for crafted gear, they forgot to scale the levels down, so they deal damage values appropriate for level 5 (should be level 1) and level 15 (should be level 2.) The values in question are in the range of several hundred and several thousand, respectively, when all other gear is within the range of 10-30 and 30-60 for those particular levels.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I expect my character to be whiped another 10 times or so. And I will go Floran again and again.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Doggboat posted:

I expect my character to be whiped another 10 times or so. And I will go Floran again and again.

Like, part of me feels like I should try out other races but then I investigate something like a water cooler and am reminded again why Floran are the bestest. :3:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone on their forums mentioned that there had already been a way to convert characters from pre-wipe to the new patch discovered. Anyone know anything about this?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

More specifically:

In the new system, gear uses a range of values determined by level. However, for crafted gear, they forgot to scale the levels down, so they deal damage values appropriate for level 5 (should be level 1) and level 15 (should be level 2.) The values in question are in the range of several hundred and several thousand, respectively, when all other gear is within the range of 10-30 and 30-60 for those particular levels.

Darn, that means the crafted starter stuff will probably be nearly as worthless as the default sword.

It's odd, the weapons I was finding off Threat 1 NPC guards were labeled as only "tier2common" and such in their weapon description thing, but they easily beat out that first set of craftables despite presumably being only level 2. Maybe NPC drops forgot to switch to the new scaling as well (though I hope they're just supposed to be that good).

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 10, 2013

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Baldbeard posted:

This game is great, and Terraria is great. But there's no need to fanboi Starbound into being way better than Terraria. At this time in development, Terraria is still a more complete experience, and while Starbound may have "more to do" theoretically, there's a whole lot more dead-end caves and treasure chests with 1 piece of food in them. Starbound also encourages cheesing content way more than Terraria because of how the difficulty/planet system works. Like a lot of people said, the tiles are great and there's a lot of potential to build awesome houses -- but the game is all about flash harvesting planets and moving on.

Right now I feel like Terraria is just a better game all around, and while Starbound promises a lot, the practical gameplay is a lot less fantastical as the claims. Maybe after they iron out a lot of the wrinkles and fix some obvious flaws Starbound will beat out Terraria, but it's really hard to tell what they intend to do with the item progression system and combat difficulty because it is just a hot mess at the moment.

I wasn't fanboying anything, just pointing out that despite an interesting concept terraria is actually a sorry piece of garbage. I just can't excuse devs who are so lazy as to inflict such a terminally lovely ui on their players.

Also in terraria pretty much everything was hard coded, meaning the only person who could iterate on the balancing aspects was just the one programmer. That's a recipe for disaster and unrealized potential.

Starbound can only end up much better than that BC it has a competent, data driven architecture. The main risk for starbound is more the devs burning out doing all nighters to maintain an unreasonably fast update schedule for literally no good reason now that the beta is released

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Right now it's mostly being flooded with "birds too OP, game is dead" and "where my character go".

Such is the grand tradeoff of going Early Access. On the plus side, you get a huge number of willing testers, plenty of funding and a vast sample size of hardware configurations to identify issues on. On the other hand you've got a legion of barely-literate teenagers and almost as many intolerable manchildren who refuse to read notifications and warnings and threaten class action lawsuits at the drop of a hat.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Kyrosiris posted:

Like, part of me feels like I should try out other races but then I investigate something like a water cooler and am reminded again why Floran are the bestest. :3:

Hylotl was fun, but I'm going to try Human next so I can be a clueless goon wandering the stars and gawking at poo poo. I'll probably try a different species each wipe. Then Novakids will come out and it'll be drunken exploding star cowboys 4 lyfe.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zlodo posted:

I just can't excuse devs who are so lazy as to inflict such a terminally lovely ui on their players.

:raise: What, precisely, is so "terminally lovely" about Terraria's UI? Hell, it's really similar to Starbound's.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I found the best ship mod ever:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

He had so much promise. So many humans to enslave and experiment on.

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

I would not want to be the community manager for Chuckle Fish's forums right now, or really ever. I wouldn't even want to meet meet one of them, I cannot imagine what sort of dried out husks of humanity they would be after even one day dealing with one of the most toxic fan bases imaginable.

Years and years of "beta" being used as marketing gimmick didn't really help. Many people on their forums and even here simply assume it means a fully complete game that just has that tag on it for promotion purposes. At this point they should just put "This is a beta. Some poo poo is broken. Other poo poo will turn out to be broken as well. You will lose your character another 50 times. Today. Stop panicking." in giant red letters across the launcher.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It's very easy to get your old character to load up in the new version, by the way. Just change the "SBPFV1" to "SBPFV1.1" with your text editor of choice. It crashes when trying to use the navigation console though, but you can atleast transfer your sweet cowboy hats and guitars.

35699741 , -28930981
Gamma Kappa-1 Cet 4964 VII
Arid moon

Has both butterfly boost and gravity neutralizer basically right next to eachother. Head left until you find the obstacle course, then dig below it.

Techs were nerfed pretty hard with the new patch though, since the energy regen is so much lower.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2013

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

More specifically:

Hahahaha yeah I can see that's pretty crazy, I got as far as crafting one of the Lvl 5 swords and it was instant death. It was kind of a drastic (but needed) change so I'm not altogether surprised that they forgot to review the crafted weapons.

Anyway, wipes were part of the deal of getting in on the early betas. People may well complain, but Chucklefish were pretty clear that this was going to be the case while they were still developing the game.

The Florans and the other races are pretty damned cool because a fair amount of thought has been put into fleshing them out and not just relying on well-worn archetypes and doing Space Elves and Space Dwarves and Space Gnomes, nor just going monkey-cheese-swordfish-trombones with them. I guess the most generic race are the humans, but then humans are treated pretty generic anyway.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Apex or GTFO.

Speaking of which, I joined a fun server the other night as 'That Damned Ape!' and had fun accidentally committing suicide over and over by falling into a pit. Anyone know if that server is still up? Can't remember its name and this thread has bloated too quickly to check.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

People wondering about slow performance: use OpenGL. It runs about eight times faster and uses 1/3 the ram.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Zeether posted:

Link that poo poo! I want an SOL!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't get the people on the official forums who say there's no reason to build anything because you have your ship. What about for fun?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My new spawn world had an ape facility, a Glitch camp, a couple human huts with robots inside (one dropped a lasergun!) and some weird prison microbuildings with nothing inside. It was the perfect resource to build a bolty 80's cables-every sort of spaceship

I liked posters before but now I really like those sections of exposed hardware behind the wall.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Verranicus posted:

I don't get the people on the official forums who say there's no reason to build anything because you have your ship. What about for fun?

Never underestimate the legions of kids apparently raised in skinner boxes, unable to do anything unless they've mathematically confirmed it to be the time-optimal path to completion.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Underwhelmed posted:

I cannot imagine what sort of dried out husks of humanity they would be after even one day dealing with one of the most toxic fan bases imaginable.

The normal kind :(

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Zeether posted:

If that isn't a giant penis ship then it ain't worth my time.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Here's a cool system to start in.

A system with 9 planets, Alpha Xi Oph 587:

A planet with 9 satellites, Alpha Xi Oph 587 I:

The chosen starting planet, Alpha Xi Oph 587 VIII d, as it is the sole forest planet/satellite in the system:

It has an Apex town to the left of the beam-down location. Toxic water. Cotton candy trees. Lots of chests in the wilderness.

This system can be found at -95956723,-78999161 in the Alpha sector.

If you run a server and want to default your server starting location to the chosen starting planet, you can use the following defaultWorldCoordinate (you will also need to set useDefaultWorldCoordinate to true):
alpha:-95956723:-78999161:9216059:10:10

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Just look at all the people who get upset when other people "cheat" by modifying config files or duping items. "You can build your space robot castle. But you better make sure to spend the next 40 hours digging up planets. Or ELSE." Minecraft/Terraria style game communities have an alarmingly large number of people that seem to be incapable of having any fun at all of any kind, and also hate when someone else has fun as well. It's best to not try and understand them, its all a black hole with no hope or escape.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dominic White posted:

Never underestimate the legions of kids apparently raised in skinner boxes, unable to do anything unless they've mathematically confirmed it to be the time-optimal path to completion.

There's nothing wrong with sandbox play but the whole appeal of Terraria is that it's Minecraft with actual goals and progression; of course people want goal-oriented reasons to do things.

Reacting to that with "OH MY GOD THEY ARE ALIEN HORRORS THAT HATE FUN" just makes you as nearsighted and unable to parse other people's tastes as they are.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Zeether posted:

If you're wondering how he eats or breathes, or other science facts

just repeat to yourself it's Starbound you should really just relax

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is a really backwards attitude. There's nothing wrong with sandbox play but the whole appeal of Terraria is that it's Minecraft with actual goals and progression; of course people want goal-oriented reasons to do things.

And I imagine that will probably come later in the beta with, you know, the rest of the single-player storyline and stuff. :ssh:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Link that poo poo! I want an SOL!

http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/60/ There you go. You have to make a new character to use it, but it's very spacious.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's nothing wrong with sandbox play but the whole appeal of Terraria is that it's Minecraft with actual goals and progression; of course people want goal-oriented reasons to do things.

Reacting to that with "OH MY GOD THEY ARE ALIEN HORRORS THAT HATE FUN" just makes you as nearsighted and unable to parse other people's tastes as they are.

Isn't the whole idea of a sandbox game that you can pretty much do what you want without being explicitly told?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Aw, poo poo. Found a Glitch merchant that was selling the wizard hat stuff but then a hostile animal charged into his house to attack me and two-shot the merchant. Now I get nothing.

Other than this sweet house he was living in.

edit: oo, and a blue cape. And iron ore!

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 10, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

And I imagine that will probably come later in the beta with, you know, the rest of the single-player storyline and stuff. :ssh:

I know. I wasn't really participating in either complaint.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

If you're wondering how he eats or breathes, or other science facts

just repeat to yourself it's Starbound you should really just relax

Holy poo poo, I didn't even notice Servo and Crow for the giant cock 'n balls.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Well at least the next character wipe was announced quickly enough that people haven't had too much time to re-invest (not that anyone should be complaining anyway.)

I'm sticking to my plan of playing a 'canon' Floran, though it's mainly a canon that I'm inventing myself. :v: Being all planty, fire is of course extremely dangerous so should be treated with almost religious amounts of care. I'm not going to use any naked flames other than what's absolutely necessary; looted oil lamps, covered torches and electric lights rather than flaming torches for light (can you craft oil lamps?) and any tools involving heat go in their own underground stone room with the campfire converted into a sort of shrine.
My planets will be left de-forested and full of holes where I've just dug straight down to get at mineral deposits, because plants don't give a gently caress about the rest of nature, especially the other species which will have their technology looted and their skulls displayed outside my camp. :black101:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Aw, poo poo. Found a Glitch merchant that was selling the wizard hat stuff but then a hostile animal charged into his house to attack me and two-shot the merchant. Now I get nothing.

Other than this sweet house he was living in.
Before the wipe I managed to find one of those guys and bought the wizard hat. Then I got ambushed by some bandits and they dropped a bandit hat (more of a bandana really), so I put that on instead. And then somewhere along the line I found a chef's hat, so of course I had to wear that for a bit.

I've never played TF2 long enough to care about the hats there but this...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Isn't the whole idea of a sandbox game that you can pretty much do what you want without being explicitly told?

Kind of, but there's no such thing as a pure sandbox. Any game you can imagine provides a certain amount of predefined structure, otherwise it wouldn't be a game at all. Starbound's the sequel to a game that already defined itself as a little closer to the "game" side of the game-toy dichotomy and it's tiresome listening to people argue about how it should be one or the other as if there's only one answer, or as if it were even a binary choice at all.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kind of, but there's no such thing as a pure sandbox. Any game you can imagine provides a certain amount of predefined structure, otherwise it wouldn't be a game at all. Starbound's the sequel to a game that already defined itself as a little closer to the "game" side of the game-toy dichotomy and it's kind of tiresome listening to people argue about how it should be one or the other as if it were a binary choice with only one correct answer.

I don't mind that people want there to be some direction or benefits to stuff, it's the ones that act all indignant and are basically saying that because you get no real benefit from building stuff it might as well not be in the game or something.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
First planet I landed on had a bunch of coal and iron right at the surface. I like it, now I probably won't have to farm 8 planets to complete my armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You know I was thinking about it and I'd really like the game to have the ability to bind items to buttons. I'd really like to rebind my Q and E to weapons. 1-6 is just not enough buttons to quickly move between all the stuff you want to use. I have every key bound except for 9, which is my open slot.

• Locked thread