Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Xaris posted:

VVVV Well, "better schools for my kids" is mostly just dogwhistle for not wanting their precious white snowflakes to be in a classroom with some poor black kid and in part with made-up media moral panics at the time of crack/AIDs/blahblah. Touche Prop 13--it's true that most major cities public schools are pretty much on par with suburban ones with a race to the bottom, but they have the luxury having very good private schools so I suspect most people will just move up to Marin or Kensington or Orinda or something close to be 'burbish' but still close to SF for that reason.

Quite possibly, not even just "poor black or Latino kids"; my high school was ranked 36 in the nation in 2009, and it's over 80% Asian. It was still mostly white at the turn of the millennium and the proportion of white kids keeps falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

comes along bort posted:

30 years ago (31 technically) the nationwide annual average peaked at 2.68/gallon accounting for inflation, and it didn't get that high again until 7 years ago

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/facts/2012_fotw741.html

And in 2 years it slid to $2 and the next year it went below $2 and it stayed that way until 2001 or so.

Gas prices are already a dollar/gallon above that momentary peak and I'll be confident in saying they're probably never getting as low as they were in 82 ever again.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Quite possibly, not even just "poor black or Latino kids"; my high school was ranked 36 in the nation in 2009, and it's over 80% Asian. It was still mostly white at the turn of the millennium and the proportion of white kids keeps falling.

Lowell, I presume.

Lowell is great, but there is only one Lowell, and (it can be argued that) the rest of the SF High Schools suffer from having all the best public school students in the City in that one school.

Be that as it may, parents wanting the best schools for their kids is not always simply a dogwhistle for not wanting your precious snowflakes to associate with blacks and poors. It is a genuine fundamental parental motivator for people of all races, and it isn't going to go away just by making fun of whitey soccer moms.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

predicto posted:

Lowell, I presume.

Lowell is great, but there is only one Lowell, and (it can be argued that) the rest of the SF High Schools suffer from having all the best public school students in the City in that one school.

Be that as it may, parents wanting the best schools for their kids is not always simply a dogwhistle for not wanting your precious snowflakes to associate with blacks and poors. It is a genuine fundamental parental motivator for people of all races, and it isn't going to go away just by making fun of whitey soccer moms.

It's not because they don't want them associating with blacks and poors. They just think blacks and Mexicans (specifically poor blacks and Mexicans) will skin their child alive because that's what urban feral youth do. They have no problem with token Good Ones at white schools. This is at least how my mother thought when she tried her damndest to transfer me to a public school out of our district. Liberalism.txt at its finest.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It's not because they don't want them associating with blacks and poors. They just think blacks and Mexicans (specifically poor blacks and Mexicans) will skin their child alive because that's what urban feral youth do. They have no problem with token Good Ones at white schools. This is at least how my mother thought when she tried her damndest to transfer me to a public school out of our district. Liberalism.txt at its finest.

You're projecting. A lot of LA unified schools are complete garbage and have no real promise of getting any better, irrespective of the race of most students. I don't feel guilty for not wanting my kids to attend. Hell I'd love for their school to be as diverse as possible but not at the expense of a good education.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

predicto posted:

Lowell, I presume.

Nope, Mission San Jose High School, which isn't a charter school (and it serves what has historically been, and still is, the very richest part of Fremont).

Today it's about 85% Asian and less than 10% white, whereas twenty years ago it was almost 60% white. Most of the other high schools in Fremont have followed the same demographic trend we did, but are just five to ten years behind us.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 27, 2013

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I'm sorry you live in such a simplistic world that you can reduce everything to that.

I have two daughters in school in San Francisco, and tried to get into the public schools, and first we got no school assignment at all, and then after spending hours at 555 Franklin Street, we got an assigment in the exact opposite corner of the city, a school that was almost impossible to get to AND had horrible, horrible test scores AND massive teacher turnover, and, yes, also raised safety issues. So we ate it and went private.

Yes, I cared about safety, but avoiding feral youths was not my primary concern - actually getting them a chance at a decent education was my primary concern.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Nope, Mission San Jose High School, which isn't a charter school (and it serves what has historically been, and still is, the very richest part of Fremont).

Today it's about 85% Asian and less than 10% white, whereas twenty years ago it was almost 60% white. Most of the other high schools in Fremont have followed the same demographic trend we did, but are just five to ten years behind us.

Ahh. Gotcha.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

predicto posted:

I'm sorry you live in such a simplistic world that you can reduce everything to that.

I have two daughters in school in San Francisco, and tried to get into the public schools, and first we got no school assignment at all, and then after spending hours at 555 Franklin Street, we got an assigment in the exact opposite corner of the city, a school that was almost impossible to get to AND had horrible, horrible test scores AND massive teacher turnover, and, yes, also raised safety issues. So we ate it and went private.

Yes, I cared about safety, but avoiding feral youths was not my primary concern - actually getting them a chance at a decent education was my primary concern.

There's a strong movement to ban parenting in SF, so that might help things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So I guess that san diego mayor guy got sentenced to home confinement for assaulting three women.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

So I guess that san diego mayor guy got sentenced to home confinement for assaulting three women.

Stay classy, San Diego!

(someone had to say it)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

predicto posted:

Stay classy, San Diego!

(someone had to say it)
Not worth saying it. Its like saying "Stay ethical OC!"

Theres just no point. :negative:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He molested some women and got grounded. No political soires for a month, young man! You think hard about what you did.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
So this is a thing that happened: Protesters Blockade Google Buses

There was even a protester pretending to be a Google employee shouting down the protesters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

"Stay ethical OC!"
Don't call it that.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

Don't call it that.

I mean I'd rather not refer to it at all but I really don't care what the name the locals prefer.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

List of Wrong Place Names

• Cali
• Frisco
• The OC
• The Sierras
• San Fran?
• I've heard people claim that "SoCal" is wrong

Let's fill this sucker out.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kenning posted:

I think it's okay to say it if you're a newsperson on TV or something, but I've never used it in conversation and would never say "I'm for SoCal."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What's wrong with "The Sierras"?

Edit: Southland.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
"The OC" is only wrong to people from the OC, literally everyone else calls it that or just "Orange County." I don't understand how that's in the same category as "Cali."

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 10, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Lycus posted:

I think it's okay to say it if you're a newsperson on TV or something, but I've never used it in conversation and would never say "I'm for SoCal."

Speaking as a Southern Californian, we generally refer to county/city. At least, we do in LA. What's that? You're from Hermosa? gently caress that. Say you're from LA (anyone not from LA/California believes it).

Never said "socal" except to differentiate myself from those hella weird norcal folks.

True story, Disneyland grad night back in 07, in the line for either Splash or Space Mountain, I run into a white guy in full SS regalia. I played CoD, recognized the uniform. I say "Is that an SS uniform?" and he's like "Yep!" He thinks he's found a kindred spirit, strikes up a conversation. I'm scared shitless of the Nazi who has the balls to rock an SS uniform on grad night so I play along (a coward in D&D? shocking). He says "where you from" I go "LA" he says "I'm from [shitburg]". I can't remember the name, and didn't recognize it then either. I ask where that is and he says "you haven't heard of [shitburg]? Dude, it's the meth capital of California."

The part that weirded me out was that he didn't say it matter-of-factly or with any sense of embarrassment. He was dead proud of his town's title of Meth Capital of California. He sounded like some kind of small-town civic booster when he said it.

Soured me on the Norcal for a long drat time.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
All of OC is just OC. :colbert: "That wasteland" is also acceptable.

SoCal/NorCal become kind of common terms once you get near Salinas/Santa Cruz for some reason. (Nortenos/Sorenos stuff?)

Its also fine for non-CA people to call everything north of OC and south of San Luis "LA". Its a lost cause to try and explain anything more detailed than that. All you get is "San Diego", "Orange County", and "LA". Everyone is fine with that except for people in OC who really want to not admit to being OC.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dusseldorf posted:

What's wrong with "The Sierras"?

Edit: Southland.

It's "The Sierra".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lycus posted:

I see "socal" on lifted pickup trucks all the time. That is in the IE though. "The IE" as a name is perfectly acceptable to people from the IE too. They get it tattooed everywhere.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

FRINGE posted:

All of OC is just OC. :colbert: "That wasteland" is also acceptable.

SoCal/NorCal become kind of common terms once you get near Salinas/Santa Cruz for some reason. (Nortenos/Sorenos stuff?)

Its also fine for non-CA people to call everything north of OC and south of San Luis "LA". Its a lost cause to try and explain anything more detailed than that. All you get is "San Diego", "Orange County", and "LA". Everyone is fine with that except for people in OC who really want to not admit to being OC.

I'm old and have lived all over California so I can help.

Not gangs but Surf/snowboard culture: "Norcal" t-shirts/stickers originated in Santa Cruz in the early 1990's to instill Northern pride, SoCal stuff popped up later in response.

O.C. is okay but most just say Orange County but then that silly O.C. show popped up along with "Orange County" choppers from NEW YORK. What? There is also an Orange County in Florida so occasionally you get "I'm from the other O.C....."

"Frisco" is fun to say while you live in SF (everyone does right if even for a few years?) just to weed out the east coast transplants (they'll be the most offended by it for some reason). Locals could give a crap as it was a term affectionately used in the 50's-60's by HST, Kesey, Kerouac and Wolfe, etc and later by renown intellectuals like Cheech and Chong and the band FEAR (from L.A.). Of course the east coast transplants are also obvious by their constant chatting about something called "summering" and discussing what loving prep schools in Connecticut they went to - so they are not hard to spot.

Inland Redneck culture (remember anything more than 10 miles from the ocean is Nevada/Arizona/Texas) and will actually have more lifted trucks per capita than actual Nevada/Arizona/Texas. I once recall a time in the 1980's when some friends in Newport Beach referred to San Diego as "Bakersfield on the Beach" due to all the Santee/East County jackasses they'd run across during surf trips down there and in Mexico (I almost said Mex as that was used quite frequently back then).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 10, 2013

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fear is from LA? I guess "living in the city" made me think they were a New York band. I think he says he's from Philadelphia in that song. Learned something new...

I've always called sf "The City" from the day I arrived I was informed frisco or San Fran were to be avoided at all costs.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Fear is from LA? I guess "living in the city" made me think they were a New York band. I think he says he's from Philadelphia in that song. Learned something new...

I've always called sf "The City" from the day I arrived I was informed frisco or San Fran were to be avoided at all costs.

Everyone I know calls it San Fran (though for a disclaimer, I'm from the South Bay).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Everyone I know calls it San Fran (though for a disclaimer, I'm from the South Bay).

All my friends from there just call it "The City" which to me seem extremely presumptuous. Like it's the only city (or I guess they would say the only city that matters.)

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
I also always thought "The City" was too presumptuous.

"S.F." is the most common among my family and friends.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

All my friends from there just call it "The City" which to me seem extremely presumptuous. Like it's the only city (or I guess they would say the only city that matters.)

It just means like, "yeah I'm driving into the city tonight" and that refers to SF. People in SF tend to discount how close and populous both San Jose and Oakland are. SF does act like a cultural center of the bay area, even though I'm well aware that Oakland in particular has a vibrant and independent culture. SF is just... I don't know, the focus. Tourists come from all over the world to San Francisco, our other Bay Area cities are afterthoughts at best. So, yeah, it's "the City."

Keyser S0ze posted:

"Frisco" is fun to say while you live in SF (everyone does right if even for a few years?) just to weed out the east coast transplants (they'll be the most offended by it for some reason).

As an SF native, someone who says "Frisco" is clearly just visiting from out of town. Transplants have internalized that we don't like to be called Frisco, so they're in a rush to inform anyone else so they don't make that faux pas, but yeah I think for the most part natives just think it sounds old-timey, like you're a gold prospector or maybe Mark Twain, but don't really care that much. Nobody should actually be offended.

"San Fran" sounds wrong, it goes along with a whole host of other words that the kids these days just refuse to say the entire of, really annoying, but it's not like I'm offended that you called my city "San Fran". It's just lazy sounding. What's wrong with pronouncing long words?

withak posted:

It's "The Sierra".

"The Sierras" is what everyone calls the Sierra Nevada, I've literally never heard anyone refer to "The Sierra" out loud. Maybe that's a so-cal thing. I mean, linguistically you're definitely correct, it's just not what people actually say.

To folks up here, "LA" is everything in the Los Angeles greater metropolitan area, possibly including inland empire, orange county, and more. In fact it's acceptable to refer to the whole of southern California as "LA", either region referred to with equal disdain. We'd divorce you if we thought there was a chance you wouldn't screw us out of our water in the divorce settlement.

I can't think of any other wrong place names for California locations.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Kenning posted:

List of Wrong Place Names

• Cali
• Frisco
• The OC
• The Sierras
• San Fran?

Let's fill this sucker out.

909 and 909er as derogatory slang for the IE.

Will never stop using them because it will always be the 909.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like the term SoCal because it helps separate us from those Bay Area snobs who thing they're better than the rest of the state.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

Don't call it that.

I got your Arrested Development quote :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I like the term SoCal because it helps separate us from those Bay Area snobs who thing they're better than the rest of the state.

Well... but.. we are. :colbert:

OK it's mostly about politics, smog, and freeways, and I'm joking of course. I'm sure there are lots of redeeming qualities to southern California, it's just that folks around here don't know what they are. The housing isn't really much cheaper, the food isn't better, it's hot (and if we want to be too hot we can just drive east for 45 minutes), and there's a lot of conservatives. Frightening!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

WampaLord posted:

There is only one "The City" and that is NYC :colbert:. Constantinople/Istanbul also gets a pass for historical reasons.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
You southern weirdos also prefix freeway names with "the".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

The housing isn't really much cheaper

Yes it is. San Francisco housing prices are completely insane, even for CA.

Leperflesh posted:

the food isn't better

No, but I would argue it's just as good. I'm heading up to SF in a couple weeks so maybe I'll reevaluate after that visit.

Get the gently caress out of here. We have like one hot week a year, it's gorgeous almost all the time. And right now it's way warmer than what you all are dealing with.

Any other SoCal myths I can bust?

GrumpyDoctor posted:

This is true, see The Californians sketch on SNL, it's a depressingly accurate take on how every loving conversation in LA becomes about which freeways you took to get there.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I will admit NorCal is superior to the south in nearly all ways, but this is not one of them :colbert:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Well... but.. we are. :colbert:

OK it's mostly about politics, smog, and freeways, and I'm joking of course. I'm sure there are lots of redeeming qualities to southern California, it's just that folks around here don't know what they are. The housing isn't really much cheaper, the food isn't better, it's hot (and if we want to be too hot we can just drive east for 45 minutes), and there's a lot of conservatives. Frightening!

Yeah, but they have Disneyland and water that is warm enough to swim in. As a San Franciscan, I am bitterly jealous of both of those things. :smith:

And everyone I know says "the Sierras"

edit - I actually like LA, but no, the food is not as good there as it is in the City (yes I said it). The food is not as good anywhere in the world as it is in the City. :colbert: I am almost totally serious when I say this.

(thread degenerates into foodchat for the 33 time....)

predicto fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Get the gently caress out of here. We have like one hot week a year, it's gorgeous almost all the time. And right now it's way warmer than what you all are dealing with.

A friend of mine who lives in the south bay (LA) posted a picture of his thermometer from this morning that said 31F, so no I'm pretty sure it's not much warmer than what were dealing with.

• Locked thread