Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Yes it is. San Francisco housing prices are completely insane, even for CA.
I'm talking NorCal vs. SoCal. Not vs. the city and county of San Francisco.

quote:

No, but I would argue it's just as good. I'm heading up to SF in a couple weeks so maybe I'll reevaluate after that visit.

Be sure to try a representative sample of 200 to 300 restaurants in order to make a reasonable evaluation, thanks.

quote:

Get the gently caress out of here. We have like one hot week a year, it's gorgeous almost all the time. And right now it's way warmer than what you all are dealing with.

Ugh no it's like 90+ degrees all the time in socal. Look that's just something we know to be true.

quote:

Any other SoCal myths I can bust?

Is it true your cops are all corrupt racists?

quote:

This is true, see The Californians sketch on SNL, it's a depressingly accurate take on how every loving conversation in LA becomes about which freeways you took to get there.

Yeah we talked about this earlier in the thread, the whole "the 101" vs. norcal's "101" thing.

predicto posted:

Yeah, but they have Disneyland and water that is warm enough to swim in. As a San Franciscan, I am bitterly jealous of both of those things. :smith:

Disneyland actually sucks and if you need to take a bath, we do have indoor plumbing here in northern california. I'm not 100% sure if people from LA ever wash, I assume they just hose down in the yard since it's always super-hot outside. Republicans are always overdressed and sweaty.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Leperflesh posted:

Disneyland actually sucks and if you need to take a bath, we do have indoor plumbing here in northern california. I'm not 100% sure if people from LA ever wash, I assume they just hose down in the yard since it's always super-hot outside. Republicans are always overdressed and sweaty.

We can't be friends anymore. :colbert:

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

A Winner is Jew posted:

No, he's correct. Knott's is better.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Compared to Disney World, it's a joke.

Leperflesh posted:

Is it true your cops are all corrupt racists?

A depressing amount of them, yes. :smith:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Leperflesh posted:

Disneyland actually sucks

You Philistine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Disneyland is ridiculously expensive so that you can spend all day standing in line to ride a handful of sub-par roller coasters, while being relentlessly inundated with Disney marketing schlock. It's OK if you're 12 I guess, although there are probably things your 12-year-old would enjoy more for the price. There are amusement parks with rides everywhere, and most of them aren't part of the marketing department for one of the world's largest corporations.

e. true story: the one and only time I rode on Space Mountain, I projectile vomited for an hour after we got off. Oh god yes, please, let's hurl my body in all directions in the dark where I can't see a horizon or tell what is down or up arghbarlgh :barf:

Also the last time I went to Disneyland, Star Tours was new (it'd been there for like a year or two I guess) and we stood in line for like 90 minutes and that was cool with C3PO and everything in the line, and then it turned out you just sat in a chair in a box that tilted from side to side while watching a movie. gently caress, disappointing doesn't even begin to cover it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 10, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last dinner party I was at in LA, after everyone finished talking about how they drove there and how much traffic there was, they moved on to talking about Disneyland strategies. How often to go, what kind of pass to get, which rides to target and in what order. Also of great interest were the latest rumors about park reorganizations, ride remodeling, potential new rides, etc.

It was awful.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Why would any adult go to Disneyland when Magic Mountain is right there waiting for you? Take a Wednesday off from work in the spring (before school gets out) and treat yourself to line-less rides on the best rollercoasters in America all day. Just cross your fingers that X won't be broken for the millionth time.

While you're there, make sure to take a moment to lament the destruction of the "Zen" (:420:) Garden. Four rides in a row on Goliath without a break is a lot tougher without being able to get my zen on.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Disneyland is ridiculously expensive so that you can spend all day standing in line to ride a handful of sub-par roller coasters, while being relentlessly inundated with Disney marketing schlock. It's OK if you're 12 I guess, although there are probably things your 12-year-old would enjoy more for the price. There are amusement parks with rides everywhere, and most of them aren't part of the marketing department for one of the world's largest corporations.

I've got kids and I've been to a shitload of amusement parks and boardwalks and nothing compares to Disneyland. Yes, XXXXX amusement park has a bigger roller coaster or something, but that rollercoaster is surrounded by empty asphalt and is operated by a bored, surly acne-ridden teen. Disneyland is immersive. So gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for meeeeeeee!!!! And no, Disneyworld is not better because it is 1) in a hot and humid fetid swamp, 2) surrounded by Florida, and 3) has a bunch of poo poo that doesn't matter because it is all about the Magic Kingdom raaarrrrrrrrrr

That was suprisingly cathartic.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Also the last time I went to Disneyland, Star Tours was new (it'd been there for like a year or two I guess) and we stood in line for like 90 minutes and that was cool with C3PO and everything in the line, and then it turned out you just sat in a chair in a box that tilted from side to side while watching a movie. gently caress, disappointing doesn't even begin to cover it.

Why would anyone stand in line for an hour and a half? Fast Pass for the win. You learn how to work the Fast Pass system and you never wait more than a few minutes for anything.

plus, one of the best things about Star Tours is the line. There is a ton to see just standing in that queue.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Compared to Disney World, it's a joke.

I have the pass that gets me into both Disneyland and Disneyworld and go to Florida twice a year, and while World has Epcot which is the best Disney park, it also has Hollywood Studios which is the worst. I'll admit that CA Adventure when it opened was utter poo poo, but since they brought in Cars Land and updated the hell out of it it's actually on par with Magic Kingdom, which only has the better regular Haunted Mansion (only CA gets the Nightmare Before Christmas version which owns), new Fantasy land, and the better Autopia cars because of CA smog restrictions. Aside from those three things, Disneyland is superior to Magic Kingdom in every way.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

World has Epcot which is the best Disney park

This is all I care about. Epcot is so loving cool and I miss it.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hollywood Studios

Ughhh. I will always call it MGM.

A Winner is Jew posted:

go to Florida twice a year

I'm so sorry. I've managed to get my visits down to once a year, and that's with all my family still living there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

predicto posted:

Why would anyone stand in line for an hour and a half? Fast Pass for the win. You learn how to work the Fast Pass system and you never wait more than a few minutes for anything.

You rich kids and your newfangled passes and fasts. When I was a kid, everyone stood in the same line. It was a more egalitarian society back then.

I don't actually like amusement parks at all. Roller coasters in general make me sick, and I don't like screaming poorly-behaved other-people's kids much either. The fact it's also Disney is just the poo poo icing on the crapcake that pushes Disneyland to the bottom of the list, plus you pay a premium for that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Does the SF Bay Area-Sac conurbation really belong in "NorCal"? Usually what I think of as "NorCal" is everything north of the Sonoma/Mendocino county line, while the Bay Area is its own special sort of place. When I think of NorCal I think of pot farms, hick towns and forests. v:shobon:v

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well we sure as gently caress aren't in southern california!

I think most of us draw the line somewhere around San Luis Obispo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DrSunshine posted:

Does the SF Bay Area-Sac conurbation really belong in "NorCal"? Usually what I think of as "NorCal" is everything north of the Sonoma/Mendocino county line, while the Bay Area is its own special sort of place. When I think of NorCal I think of pot farms, hick towns and forests. v:shobon:v

Those parts don't think of the bay and often Sacramento as part of norcal. But it is. They can go be the state of jefferson.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Leperflesh posted:

You rich kids and your newfangled passes and fasts. When I was a kid, everyone stood in the same line. It was a more egalitarian society back then.

I don't actually like amusement parks at all. Roller coasters in general make me sick, and I don't like screaming poorly-behaved other-people's kids much either. The fact it's also Disney is just the poo poo icing on the crapcake that pushes Disneyland to the bottom of the list, plus you pay a premium for that.

See, my wife and I actually hate kids but love Disneyland... but we don't pay a premium for it outside of our passes which gets us 20% off food and merch so it's actually not expensive at all. Plus, living three blocks away from it means we go once a week for breakfast (River Belle Terrace has cinnamon roll French toast which is amazing as it sounds) which is like $20 and stay until like 1-3, and then again one evening during the week for dinner which even for sit down it's like $30-50 depending on how nice it is.

Trick to eat at Disney is to NEVER do walk-up food since it's just as expensive as the cheep sit-down places and to always make a reservation the day before.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Disney land is OK but what really annoys me are the 20 somethings who act like they're still 8 and go nuts over it. I dated a girl for three months and every weekend she drove 2 hours to Anaheim. She also expected me to go nuts over it when I am indifferent at best to spending so much time among screaming children and tourists with sunstroke.

I can understand going a few times a year, but come on, there are more exciting ways to spend your Saturday.

e: obviously if you live next door this doesn't apply, i had a great time popping in to Magic Mountain after work when I lived next door.

Mayor Dave fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 10, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nm posted:

Those parts don't think of the bay and often Sacramento as part of norcal. But it is. They can go be the state of jefferson.

gently caress no if you lump in the Inland Empire, Bakersfield and other desert shitholes with SoCal then you can have the wackos in not-quite-oregon NorCal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

See, my wife and I actually hate kids but love Disneyland... but we don't pay a premium for it outside of our passes which gets us 20% off food and merch so it's actually not expensive at all. Plus, living three blocks away from it means we go once a week for breakfast (River Belle Terrace has cinnamon roll French toast which is amazing as it sounds) which is like $20 and stay until like 1-3, and then again one evening during the week for dinner which even for sit down it's like $30-50 depending on how nice it is.

Trick to eat at Disney is to NEVER do walk-up food since it's just as expensive as the cheep sit-down places and to always make a reservation the day before.

You are like an alien to me. You deliberately seek out Disneyland for your fine dining? You pay money for a card that gets you 20% off the hyperinflated prices at Disneyland, and think that means you're not paying a premium?

You live withing walking distance of Disneyland. I guess you must really like it there! For me that sounds like a special version of Hell, tailored especially to torment me personally.

e. Admit it. You and your wife own matching his-and-hers Mickey/Minnie sweatshirts. Don't you.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've always thought that "The Inland Empire" would be a great name for a post-apocalyptic feudal/fantasy kingdom. :allears:

"Kneel before Ralph I, Emperor of the Inland Empire!!!"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A customer of mine lives near Disneyland. She now hates fireworks because they make her commute home impossibly slow. Everyone stops to look at them and she just wants to get home :smith:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have the pass that gets me into both Disneyland and Disneyworld and go to Florida twice a year, and while World has Epcot which is the best Disney park, it also has Hollywood Studios which is the worst. I'll admit that CA Adventure when it opened was utter poo poo, but since they brought in Cars Land and updated the hell out of it it's actually on par with Magic Kingdom, which only has the better regular Haunted Mansion (only CA gets the Nightmare Before Christmas version which owns), new Fantasy land, and the better Autopia cars because of CA smog restrictions. Aside from those three things, Disneyland is superior to Magic Kingdom in every way.

Disneyland has the much better Pirates ride, has a better Space Mountain, has the truly delicious Indiana Jones ride, has epic fake rubbery 1957 era dinosaurs on the train ride, and has the absolutely best ride to experience while stoned: Alice in Wonderland. Plus it fits more stuff into less space, so there is less hiking.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I've always thought that "The Inland Empire" would be a great name for a post-apocalyptic feudal/fantasy kingdom. :allears:

"Kneel before Ralph I, Emperor of the Inland Empire!!!"

The Inland Empire is actually a fairly specific area of California and the fastest growing area of the nation.

This is the official map according to the California Board of Tourism.

Although most people who live in Victorville and Hesperia consider it to be the High Desert and not the official Inland Empire.

Everyone outside that zone are horribly deformed sand people and we don't talk about those people.

Also it was windy as poo poo yesterday with gusts up to 60mph and it destroyed my patio furniture.

You can tell I live in the IE because of the cookie cutter houses and small dirt backyard. :buddy:

Shbobdb posted:

A customer of mine lives near Disneyland. She now hates fireworks because they make her commute home impossibly slow. Everyone stops to look at them and she just wants to get home :smith:

I used to drive home down the 5 at around 9:35 every night right by Disneyland and there were always a few people who had to stop and pull over and get out of their cars on the freeway to watch the stupid fireworks.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Leperflesh posted:

You are like an alien to me. You deliberately seek out Disneyland for your fine dining? You pay money for a card that gets you 20% off the hyperinflated prices at Disneyland, and think that means you're not paying a premium?

You live withing walking distance of Disneyland. I guess you must really like it there! For me that sounds like a special version of Hell, tailored especially to torment me personally.

e. Admit it. You and your wife own matching his-and-hers Mickey/Minnie sweatshirts. Don't you.

You probably haven't been in a while, but Disneyland has really loving good food now (again?).

And no, no we loving hate "mouse crap" as my wife calls it and we've never purchased a "mickey" sweatshirt.

Bonus pic: these exist and we've seen people this oblivious. Yes my wife and I are both 12.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

gently caress no if you lump in the Inland Empire, Bakersfield and other desert shitholes with SoCal then you can have the wackos in not-quite-oregon NorCal.

The actual Maginot line (the pine tree/palm tree) divide is in Madera, CA on Hwy 99...........so you get Fresno too, enjoy!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 10, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey that's my home turf man. Reppin' Madtown like hey. gently caress scraps.

And Leperflesh is 100% right Disneyland is the loving worst.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I can understanding Bay Area people insulting LA but I don't get how they do it like their poo poo don't stink.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Due to the standard northern California diet our poo poo, in fact, does not stink.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also the tap water is loving delicious.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Keyser S0ze posted:

The actual Maginot line (the pine tree/palm tree) divide is in Madera, CA on Hwy 99...........so you get Fresno too, enjoy!

The line is at Delano.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I've always thought of the dividing line as the Grapevine; once you're over the pass you've left civilization behind.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

I've always thought of the dividing line as the Grapevine; once you're over the pass you've left civilization behind.

A: One side gets bakersfield, the other gets fresno. It is only fair.
B: It is the only line that matters because it could keep you from getting killed (in prison, but still).

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

No way is it at Madera. That would put Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur in SoCal, and no one thinks that.

I always thought it was that one straight line that cuts across the state between Monterey County and SLO County. Kern is SoCal, Tulare is NorCal, Big Sur is NorCal, Morro Bay are SoCal and so on.

San Simeon might be the best border post. Don't you put castles at hostile borders?

predicto fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 10, 2013

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Dusseldorf posted:

I can understanding Bay Area people insulting LA but I don't get how they do it like their poo poo don't stink.

What the point of being insulting if you aren't also going to be insufferable? :colbert:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I could imagine a hypothetical state split in which the primary contentious issue is who gets stuck with Fresno.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I could imagine a hypothetical state split in which the primary contentious issue is who gets stuck with Fresno.

I suspect both sides would fight over not having Bakersfield.
Fresno gets you Yosemite, which is a fair trade. Bakersfield gets you very little (though apparently they just found shale oil).

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Dusseldorf posted:

It all goes back to LA stealing the water back in the 70's when people in SF were suffering by sharing showers and saving the dirty bits to water their plants afterward.

No seriously, people really did that poo poo. Meanwhile, I spent the 70's growing up near the 405 and I remember playing in the sprinklers like a water-wasting boss.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The actual, physical split is right at Madera, goons - right around the 37th parallel.

http://www.cityofmadera.org/web/guest/city-facts1

.......doesn't mean it makes sense but that's why the trees are there.

http://duanehallca.blogspot.com/2010/02/where-palm-meets-pine.html

"The palm and the pine are located between the latitudinal midline of California and the midpoint of US Route 99 in California. I guess this location just south of Avenue 11 in Madera County was the right spot at the right time for the folks that had this idea and planted the trees."

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

hepscat posted:

It all goes back to LA stealing the water back in the 70's when people in SF were suffering by sharing showers and saving the dirty bits to water their plants afterward.

No seriously, people really did that poo poo. Meanwhile, I spent the 70's growing up near the 405 and I remember playing in the sprinklers like a water-wasting boss.

I mean LA steals water, but not from the same places from where the bay area steals water.

• Locked thread