Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Babby Thatcher posted:

this is perhaps one of the stupidest things ever done by a league

The MLS has bullshit eastern vs western conferences. They also don't do promotions or relegations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Soulex posted:

The MLS has bullshit eastern vs western conferences. They also don't do promotions or relegations.

Also salary caps, can you believe it? Also, an All Star game and playoffs.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Tigren posted:

Also salary caps, can you believe it? Also, an All Star game and playoffs.

Hey man, salary caps are awesome when you're the 8th watched TV sport in your country and can't afford to throw away millions of dollars on transfer fees.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Soulex posted:

No one's going to drive across the US to watch an MLS game.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

sassassin posted:

And people wonder why Americans support teams from places they have never been.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
No relegation and promotion is the dumbest loving thing. If you're awful, then you get the first pick in the draft, so your choice at the next Adu or Jozy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

No relegation and promotion is the dumbest loving thing. If you're awful, then you get the first pick in the draft, so your choice at the next Adu or Jozy.

Completely agree.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Thats why the most recent MLS final cup or whatever they call it got a 0.5 TV rating. Less than infomercials, and reruns of Home Improvement get.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. Kick TV is trying to hype it upwith their youtuber vs superfan challenge. Winners get to go the MLS cup.

KSI isnt in it but the other big FIFA names are. Doubt itll make a difference.

Also MLS has 2 cups? One for canadians and one for American teams.

The more I read about the actual structure of the league the more :psyduck: I get. At least Orlando is slotted to come into the MLS soon.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Promotion to Liga MX, relegation to NCAA :newlol:

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

I've never understood why the MLS and the NASL didn't team up to make a multi tier thing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Modus Trollens posted:

I've never understood why the MLS and the NASL didn't team up to make a multi tier thing

Because americans would just stop supporting relegated teams.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Soulex posted:

And people wonder why Americans support teams from places they have never been.

Soulex, Have you looked at a map of the U.S. in the last 200 years?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Shroud posted:

Soulex, Have you looked at a map of the U.S. in the last 200 years?

Have you looked at Russia in the map? No conferences there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

vaginal culture posted:

Thats why the most recent MLS final cup or whatever they call it got a 0.5 TV rating. Less than infomercials, and reruns of Home Improvement get.

Be fair, have you seen the Home Improvement girls?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The playoff season absolutey obliterates any viewing numbers the MLS could get; as soon as a Americans team does bad they stop watching MLS period, unlike literally every other league in the world where every game matters until the end for your team. They bitch and wine about viewership numbers in MLS but they just don't get it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Why don't you guys go talk about this retarded poo poo in the MLS thread?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Straight out of Pro Evo. Merseyside Blue, meet Wolferhampton.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Haggis Heed posted:

Have you looked at Russia in the map? No conferences there.

the western conference would be p weak

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
It would. But according to the map the eastern one would be a lot worse.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Tom...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Reek posted:

Is this your first map?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Lot 49 posted:

Sick and nasty.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Modus Trollens posted:

Selling the American public on the idea that if you are terrible you go down a division is impossible.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Selling the American public on the idea that if you are terrible you go down a division is impossible.

Everyone I speak to about relegation thinks it's a brilliant idea, they'd love to see it. I also live in the greater Detroit area where our local Gridiron team would be playing in the pub league by now...

An interesting question would be, if Football were to come about right now, would the owners allow for relegation to be possible or does it exist because of how many teams were entrenched from days back. I am willing to bet with the sheer amount of money involved if 20 teams were to put up the first league they'd be damned sure to secure their financial future and not allow relegation.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Reek posted:

The year or two when Vladivostok made into the Russian Premier League was pretty much a logistical nightmare but the league made it work, sure they were massive amounts of jet lag but it was fun to see.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

TraderStav posted:

Everyone I speak to about relegation thinks it's a brilliant idea, they'd love to see it. I also live in the greater Detroit area where our local Gridiron team would be playing in the pub league by now...

An interesting question would be, if Football were to come about right now, would the owners allow for relegation to be possible or does it exist because of how many teams were entrenched from days back. I am willing to bet with the sheer amount of money involved if 20 teams were to put up the first league they'd be damned sure to secure their financial future and not allow relegation.

Bingo. Sheik Urbooty who just bought Shitville Wanderers for 750m using half his country's GDP wouldn't take kindly to having his team suddenly be demoted for being bad. If football leagues were created today in Europe, they'd be the NFL. Full stop.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Lot 49 posted:

this is what i meant

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

The year or two when Vladivostok made into the Russian Premier League was pretty much a logistical nightmare but the league made it work, sure they were massive amounts of jet lag but it was fun to see.
Just a shame they were pish, I wanted them to qualify for Europe just so various managers could spit the dummy over the travel.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
This is me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBG8z9utVZU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Weaponized Cum posted:

that's a worse fate than relegation by the sound of it

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This is excellent

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_Russian_National_Football_League

The first division in Russia has it nicely

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

That's loving mental.

How can a second tier team afford to travel a few thousand miles every other week?

The teams on the Far East are closer to japan than Moscow.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Haggis Heed posted:

That's loving mental.

How can a second tier team afford to travel a few thousand miles every other week?

The teams on the Far East are closer to japan than Moscow.

At least some of them seem to agree

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Luch-Energiya_Vladivostok

quote:

There has been much controversy about whether the Russian league should be split into two leagues, East region and Western region, however this is yet to happen. Igor Akinfeev, the CSKA Moscow goalkeeper, said that "they should play in the Japanese League", after his team lost 4-0 after a seven hour flight.[1] In addition to this, even their own players admitted it was awkward as they had to travel long distances for away games. Matija Kristić said "It's not as bad for other teams because they only need to travel this distance once a year whereas we have to do it for all away matches". Srđan Radonjić said "It is just crazy, they should have two Russian premier leagues, one for the European teams and another for Asian teams. Vladivostok is 4,000 miles from Moscow."

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

That's nothing unusual; the A-League in Australia/New Zealand has teams in Perth and Wellington. For those of you who aren't aware of the distances involved there, it's about 3300 miles, give or take. All the other teams are neatly in the middle, mostly spread around the east coast. Nobody's complaining loudly, interestingly enough (except for people from Wellington and Perth, but nobody really cares about them).

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

iajanus posted:

That's nothing unusual; the A-League in Australia/New Zealand has teams in Perth and Wellington. For those of you who aren't aware of the distances involved there, it's about 3300 miles, give or take. All the other teams are neatly in the middle, mostly spread around the east coast. Nobody's complaining loudly, interestingly enough (except for people from Wellington and Perth, but nobody really cares about them).

If they complain too much maybe they'll get the boot!! ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Man thank God any of the US sports teams don't have to travel those kinds of distances!

Can this derail end so people can go back to posting Podolski pics again?

• Locked thread