Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So according to everyone this game is easy to mod. Well, I am coding illiterate, how do I edit Instruments into my inventory? I desire music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
so I just found out about this game....

Anybody wanna go in on a 4-pack or looking for members to get a 4-pack with? :)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fishstick posted:

My new starter planet has plenty of ore, an apex science dungeon three steps to the left of the spawn.

And armored trees :negative:

The fuel costs for travel have been adjusted - travel within the same planet group costs 1 fuel (1/2 of 1 piece of coal). So check out your planet's buddies for cheap!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Devor posted:

The fuel costs for travel have been adjusted - travel within the same planet group costs 1 fuel (1/2 of 1 piece of coal). So check out your planet's buddies for cheap!

It turns out armored trees give regular unrefined wood now instead of metalplated, so it's actually a pretty good starter planet.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
They fixed / nerfed tech energy rates :saddowns: The grav bubble uses up energy so fast now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm finally finding decent items in dungeons, yay!

But, why did I find a LEGENDARY eyesword that is 1/10th the dps of stuff I found off trash mobs?

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Harlock posted:

He had so much promise. So many humans to enslave and experiment on.

Can you really enslave and experiment on NPC's?

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
So I'm on the distress beacon quest again(I love these quests btw) and I figure all right, let me dick around for a while and just find as much I can in this starting planet. Then I came across this underground tomb...:stare:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Jastiger posted:

I'm finally finding decent items in dungeons, yay!

But, why did I find a LEGENDARY eyesword that is 1/10th the dps of stuff I found off trash mobs?

Item progression and armor is broken, patch incoming, maybe including another wipe, maybe not.

Edit:

Lugaloco posted:

Was browsing the Steam Community Hub for this and saw a review where a guy has 135 hours played already :psyduck:

I also have a lot more time on Starbound as I actually played, cause the process will often keep running when I close the game unless i kill it manualy via the task manager.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 10, 2013

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Was browsing the Steam Community Hub for this and saw a review where a guy has 135 hours played already :psyduck:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

dongsweep posted:

If you're talking about the dude in the tube, that's a decoration you can find in Apex facilities. You can't actually do anything with it though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Lugaloco posted:

While I don't doubt that some poopsocker has done it, most likely a bunch of that is idling at the main menu screen.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Syllogism posted:

There's like 7% chance of getting a superior brain, enemy level or type doesn't matter. I got it on the first try this time around; 378 is amazingly unlucky.

My friend got dozens of inferior brains before I crafted my brain scooper and got a superior from the first two enemies I killed with it.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Oneiros posted:

While I don't doubt that some poopsocker has done it, most likely a bunch of that is idling at the main menu screen.

Or the starbound.exe not shutting down and steam thinking you're still playing it.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Musluk posted:

Or the starbound.exe not shutting down and steam thinking you're still playing it.

or leaving the launcher open so you can launch easier while you work on mods.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?
So my starter planet is pretty hellish, most of the mobs spit acid at me that do 45 damage. It's not just 1 type either, I've run into 3 so far that shoot acid at me. The bird things are dropping bouncing shots (kind of like the boulders from before but faster). Also, did they raise the amount of birds or increase the aggro range? I guess I'm going to be spending a good amount of time underground this time.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Aurain posted:

Two screens here of my character in its default armour and in snow armour.

Look at the red damage indicator and the armour stat.

Default: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12064557/damage%201.png
Snow: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12064557/damage%202.png

Mind if I include these in a bug thread on the official forums?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
About the modding thing...

I think the game can pack most files inside zip files without compression (compression level 0). And sign these file against tampering. Then have other folder called "mods" where you can put your mods as single zip files, or uncompressed, so when you play singleplayer, the engine load everything from the main zip files, and replace the files with the same name from the mods folder. There are already libraries to create "virtual directory systems" that do this automatically for the game dev. Quake1 did something like this to make modding really simple.

It will be good to make modding supersimple so this game gain access to Steam Workbench... most mods will be less than 100MB, so SW is ideal. But don't think SW will be easy to integrate if modding need to "patch" files or something complicated.

KoB
May 1, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

Just play, guys. There may or may not be a character wipe, but the intro stuff doesn't take that long anyway, so .. just play.

Or dont! Play it however you want, even if that means not playing! Who cares?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Aug posted:

So my starter planet is pretty hellish, most of the mobs spit acid at me that do 45 damage. It's not just 1 type either, I've run into 3 so far that shoot acid at me. The bird things are dropping bouncing shots (kind of like the boulders from before but faster). Also, did they raise the amount of birds or increase the aggro range? I guess I'm going to be spending a good amount of time underground this time.

Flying mobs definitely seem to have an increased aggro range. Pre-patch I was almost never attacked by fliers unless I was climbing a mountain and they practically ran into me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Oneiros posted:

I left the launcher up after going to bed, the launcher is probably the culprit.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I'm still very early on, just hit up my first non-starter planet and it is ice cold. I have to basically pick up and plop down my campfire nonstop in order to not freeze. I have leather but no way to do anything with it that I've found. Can my dude make some warm exploring gear or is this planet just going to be tricky?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

FallenGod posted:

I'm still very early on, just hit up my first non-starter planet and it is ice cold. I have to basically pick up and plop down my campfire nonstop in order to not freeze. I have leather but no way to do anything with it that I've found. Can my dude make some warm exploring gear or is this planet just going to be tricky?

Craft a Yarn Spinner from the Crafting Table, use it to make the Snow Infantry Armor from leather. You'll need a lot of leather.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 10, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fishstick posted:

My new starter planet has plenty of ore, an apex science dungeon three steps to the left of the spawn.

And armored trees :negative:

So get coal, and get outta there?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

If you're looking to create the pixel bank, check your 3D printer. It's in there.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So the reset has happened already, right? I can actually play not without fear of losing everything immediately?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

New Leaf posted:

So the reset has happened already, right? I can actually play not without fear of losing everything immediately?

There was a reset last night / this morning but there may (read: likely) be another one very soon.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

New Leaf posted:

This is not the only reset, do not expect to keep anything from the beta.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

New Leaf posted:

Read the thread.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

rhoga posted:

If you're looking to create the pixel bank, check your 3D printer. It's in there.

How/where? Mine is 100% empty!

How many pixels do you need for the 1000 block?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Geomancing posted:

You're not alone, I love building things too. I just wish more blocks were craftable from the beginning, simple things like thatch or leaves.
Plugging my own stuff again, but I made a mod for this exact purpose. Almost all the in-game building blocks that don't occur naturally (and some that do) are craftable now. You can make some pretty diverse little structures even right off the bat using simple resources.
Just put up an updated version here.

rhoga posted:

Game files says the recipe automatically gets unlocked at Tier 2, and is made at the robotic crafting table.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Haha, fall damage is now 2.5x instead of 1. Probably due to the armor adding health but gently caress that noise. 0.5'd.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Is there any way to copy a character across patches after a wipe? I want to backup my current birdman before the next patch

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

TescoBag posted:

Read the thread.

There were 867 posts since the last time I read the thread, which was around the same time yesterday. I don't know what the hell anyone has talked about, I haven't even started playing yet. I got the game the day before yesterday. I was more concerned with at least gaining a little momentum before losing it all again.

That said, my question has been answered. Thanks, helpful folks.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dongsweep posted:

Kind of! In the second or third tier you get the ability to build spawners that create little NPCs to wander around. You could plunk spawners down in dingy jail cells to make yourself some prisoners to cackle maniacally at, if you wanted.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Musluk posted:

Haha, fall damage is now 2.5x instead of 1. Probably due to the armor adding health but gently caress that noise. 0.5'd.

Where would one go to change this?

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!
Oh man, Florans truly are the best:

It said :frogout:

Never going back.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Is there any way to copy a character across patches after a wipe? I want to backup my current birdman before the next patch

Pretty sure that's a no. I believe characters are wiped because the changes directly affect the characters and how they're generated.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, which files do we edit to load our old characters enough for a supply drop? I'm not sure where we should be changing SBPFV1 to SBPFV1.1; my friend tried some files and it crashes when he clicks Singleplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Musluk posted:

Fall damage is less punishing than it used to be. That number may be different but they fixed a bug in the game code so you'll usually receive less damage than you used to. Making it even lower is crazy.

• Locked thread