Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Baldbeard posted:

Is there a consensus on the best "drastically changes the game" mod? After my first play through, I still have the itch for more Skyrim but I want something very different than what I just did. Is there any mods/few mod combos that give you a very different experience going through?

Schlongs of Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Dongicus posted:

Schlongs of Skyrim.

Thanks Dongicus. :awesome:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I didn't like RN&D at all. I think the cincher was that you had to measure your food intake just so or you'd suffer from URP TOO BLOATED PLUH CAN'T CARRY ANYTHING fatness.

Also, the need for sleep was way too frequent and I couldn't muster up the effort to tweak it right.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Huh. I'm using better sorting, so my spells look like Effect I and Effect II; so far I've gotten 2 Ward spells, Lesser and Steadfast Ward, that actually summon shields when activated.

But I just went to the Mage college and the tutor dude gave me Ward I, which works as a regular ward (a shield of sorts). Does SPERG change up the spells? Because if it doesn't, I have no idea what would be. :psyduck:

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Edmond Dantes posted:

Huh. I'm using better sorting, so my spells look like Effect I and Effect II; so far I've gotten 2 Ward spells, Lesser and Steadfast Ward, that actually summon shields when activated.

But I just went to the Mage college and the tutor dude gave me Ward I, which works as a regular ward (a shield of sorts). Does SPERG change up the spells? Because if it doesn't, I have no idea what would be. :psyduck:

SPERG does change the wards into shields except for the lesser one you get at the Mage College for the quest.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tarq posted:

SPERG does change the wards into shields except for the lesser one you get at the Mage College for the quest.

Ah, that would explain it. Cheers.

I'm having a blast with my mage, but I'm not sure what to use besides summoning stuff and swords; it's kind of a bummer that you can only have one summon/revive out, I've been using flame atronachs but maybe zombies are more powerful? Also I'm torn between blasting people with destruction or just going bound sword -> one handed.

Or the roleplaying version, stay out of direct combat as much as possible and rely on summons, stealth and a fury spell. :getin: (I'll probably leave that option for my next sneaky assassin play though).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm having a blast with my mage, but I'm not sure what to use besides summoning stuff and swords; it's kind of a bummer that you can only have one summon/revive out, I've been using flame atronachs but maybe zombies are more powerful? Also I'm torn between blasting people with destruction or just going bound sword -> one handed.

Or the roleplaying version, stay out of direct combat as much as possible and rely on summons, stealth and a fury spell. :getin: (I'll probably leave that option for my next sneaky assassin play though).

Cast summons, cast muffle, cast invisibility, crouch and giggle.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'd get the apocalypse spell pack. I ended up getting a summon Spirit Cat and that thing just ravages anything it comes across. Also I can wipe out entire fields of guys using a double meteor spell. Just make sure your companion can't die from Friendly Fire because you'll be lighting up the sky.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Digital_Jesus posted:

Cast summons, cast muffle, cast invisibility, crouch and giggle.

I just got the perk that makes summons more potent. And I'm only using a flame atronach so far. :stare:

m.hache posted:

I'd get the apocalypse spell pack. I ended up getting a summon Spirit Cat and that thing just ravages anything it comes across. Also I can wipe out entire fields of guys using a double meteor spell. Just make sure your companion can't die from Friendly Fire because you'll be lighting up the sky.

That does sound a tad overpowered, I'm already wrecking everything and I haven't even gotten the second tier of summons. I'll play a bit more and see how this goes, thanks for the recommendation anyway.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Apocalypse spell pack is pretty amazing and it's not as game breaking as it sounds.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

SheepNameKiller posted:

Apocalypse spell pack is pretty amazing and it's not as game breaking as it sounds.

It's OP at the higher spell tiers (especially when combined with SPERG) but then again so is literally everything else - might as well have some variety to your 1-button wins. I really like it, it has added a whole lot of content and there are a lot of viable mage playstyles now.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

melon farmer posted:

It's OP at the higher spell tiers (especially when combined with SPERG) but then again so is literally everything else - might as well have some variety to your 1-button wins. I really like it, it has added a whole lot of content and there are a lot of viable mage playstyles now.

Are there decent buffs and debuffs? I've been wanting to play a support character and let followers do the killing, but vanilla doesn't seem really suited for that.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Gorgar posted:

Are there decent buffs and debuffs? I've been wanting to play a support character and let followers do the killing, but vanilla doesn't seem really suited for that.

Yeah there are quite a few. There are also some that specifically require a follower of some sort to use, for example there's one that detonates any undead folks you've raised, and another that creates lightning explosions around all your followers.

There are tons of self buffs and enemy debuffs. My favorite early spell is Befuddle, which causes an enemy magic user to flub 1/3 of their spells and daze themselves.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 10, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Restoration has some pretty good buff and debuff skills.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gorgar posted:

As you use Conjuration as well you get 20% life boost and regeneration just by being close to your companions/summons. I'm also pretty sure there is a Gate spell like Baldurs Gate 2 that just releases a huge Demon that destroys everything in it's path, including you. You can cast protection from Daedra on yourself for protection though.

I think I'm going to run that build next.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cXuWBMZfi8

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Scyantific posted:

You got a screenshot? Also please post your system specs, it might be a GPU issue.
Here's a screenshot.

Which part of my system would I look for the GPU? I'm not totally savvy when it comes to graphic cards requirements because my video card can usually run a lot of games fine. I had to drop it to low settings for games like Witcher 2 and Alan Wake but they still ran and looked fine. As I said I had the exact problem in Dishonored but they had the option to disable it and the game looked totally fine after I did, it was something like light filtering.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Here's a screenshot.

Which part of my system would I look for the GPU? I'm not totally savvy when it comes to graphic cards requirements because my video card can usually run a lot of games fine. I had to drop it to low settings for games like Witcher 2 and Alan Wake but they still ran and looked fine. As I said I had the exact problem in Dishonored but they had the option to disable it and the game looked totally fine after I did, it was something like light filtering.

I used to get this when my graphics card drivers were corrupted. I also got this when my graphics card was shot too so hopefully it's just the drivers or something and nothing worse.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Red Mundus posted:

I used to get this when my graphics card drivers were corrupted. I also got this when my graphics card was shot too so hopefully it's just the drivers or something and nothing worse.
Looks like a hardware fault to me.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
So I just finished the Conan mod, and it was pretty good. I'm really liking my new Atmorean greatsword, but I don't care for the furry sheath. It certainly fits the barbarian style, but it clashes with my classy steel plate armor. Is there a quick and easy way to get rid of it?

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
I've been having trouble with my game crashing since I recently installed it on a new PC. I have Dawnguard and Hearthfire right now. When I go to start a new game it goes into the loading screen ok, but then crashes to desktop. I had SkyUI and SKSE but it was otherwise vanilla. I've tried uninstalling the mods, and then I tried reinstalling the game, but I still had the same issue. The only weird thing I've noticed is when I load up the game, I get a popup that says Steam error 15 and that it failed to load some gibberish file. I don't have mods installed though so I don't know wtf. Since the computer is new, as far as I know my drivers are all up to date. I'm totally lost as to what is causing this crap, so if anyone has any ideas that would be cool.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
As much as I'm enjoying dicking around with the Master the Space-Time Continuum mod, I really think the spell itself is way too OP. The magicka drain is negligible (I can leave it on for like 15 minutes and barely lose any magicka) and enemies are completely helpless while it's activated. It's basically turned into my "gently caress it" spell, for when I get overwhelmed and I'm tired of reloading (or if I forget to quicksave and have to restart a dungeon).

That aside, how would I go about modding the mod? Like, what program could I use, what would I do to the files and what files would I need to modify? I want to either have the effect only last 10-20 seconds at a time or else drain magicka a lot faster.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Creation Kit.

Previous versions you used to be able to download without Steam, not sure what happened to that, might still be possible.

What you want to do should be pretty simple. Haven't used mod tools since Morrowind though, so couldn't tell you exactly how. Unless the spell has a unique script, the effect is probably listed under spells.

Some guides here to get you started:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Creation_Kit
http://www.creationkit.com/Main_Page

Maybe someone more up to date can give you specific help.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 11, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

King Vidiot posted:

As much as I'm enjoying dicking around with the Master the Space-Time Continuum mod, I really think the spell itself is way too OP. The magicka drain is negligible (I can leave it on for like 15 minutes and barely lose any magicka) and enemies are completely helpless while it's activated. It's basically turned into my "gently caress it" spell, for when I get overwhelmed and I'm tired of reloading (or if I forget to quicksave and have to restart a dungeon).

That aside, how would I go about modding the mod? Like, what program could I use, what would I do to the files and what files would I need to modify? I want to either have the effect only last 10-20 seconds at a time or else drain magicka a lot faster.

TES5Edit is probably what you want, although I'm not sure this can do script-based stuff.

^^ efb

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I opened the ESP in the Creation Kit, but it seemed like anything that'd be useful to edit was hidden in a script that I couldn't open from the spell editor pop-up. I thought that maybe changing the duration would be good enough, but I didn't want to mess around and break the mod.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Don't be scared to break things, it's a mod, not a stained glass window! The worse thing that happens is you have to restore from a backup, you're not going to accidentally hack NORAD and set defcon 1 or anything.

The UI takes a little getting used to, IIRC the entries you want should be marked by an asterisk.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm loving SPERG so far, but then I found the first Dragon Priest mask (Morokei), and since it's actually light armour, it screws with my Mage Armour 4x bonus. :(

Oh well, I'll just grab a mod that converts them into clothing. :colbert:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm loving SPERG so far, but then I found the first Dragon Priest mask (Morokei), and since it's actually light armour, it screws with my Mage Armour 4x bonus. :(

Another option: If you level your enchanting a bit you can craft a ring/amulet that has the same stats as the mask.

EDIT: One of the SPERG perks

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105836753

Converts them to clothing, makes them usable with hoods and circlets, and removes the hoods from the masks.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, I was going to link that one and then forgot completely. :v:

I had forgotten how fun this game was, which is surprising since I already sunk like 90 hours in it and I'm already planning my next play through.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you want I can give you my version. I added the shout cooldown bonus back to the Morokei mask.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've been trying new mods and a major visual change I made was replace RCRN with COT+ELFX. I like it, the interior lighting of ELFX is good but I really notice the poo poo shadows now. Shadows on static objects are nice, but shadows on NPC's and moving objects look like rear end. It's really bad in motion, much worse then it looks in a screenshot because it draws the eye to it.

Link to full thing. Notice the shadow of an NPC on the pillar in the center of the image.

Is this just the normal Skyrim shadows or have I hosed up something? Is it just because I've been running RCRN for so long that I'm now noticing it? Is there anything I can do to improve the shadows without some huge performance penalty?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

That's just how Skyrim's shadows are. Ugly as sin. You could grab an ENB and disable everything but the enhanced shadows feature for no loss of performance.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Upmarket Mango posted:

That's just how Skyrim's shadows are. Ugly as sin. You could grab an ENB and disable everything but the enhanced shadows feature for no loss of performance.

Alright thanks. At least it's good to know I haven't hosed something up. I don't know much about the whole ENB thing so I'll have to go have a read and see what I can do.

For non-visual mod content: I've been playing on master difficulty with Frostfall on hardcore (no fast travel oh god). It certainly changes the game up quite a bit, but overall I think it's a positive experience having to care about clothing, food, weather, heat etc. I wouldn't recommend it for new players, but certainly something to try for those that want to change things up. I guess time will tell if it continues to be a cute distraction or simply makes poo poo tedious after 10-20 hours into the character.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Scyantific posted:

If you want I can give you my version. I added the shout cooldown bonus back to the Morokei mask.

I've been using Hoodless Dragon Priest Masks which seems to get a little finicky with having to make a merged patch for the files. I'd be interested in trying your version with the Morokei fix.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Upmarket Mango posted:

That would actually be perfect for me, as well. I wouldn't even need a preset for that, would I? Just grab the stock one and shut off everything but shadows?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
ENB per pixel shadows + iBlurShadowMask=8 in SkyrimPrefs.ini seems to be the best shadows for me, at least. Still tweaking though.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Xik posted:

For non-visual mod content: I've been playing on master difficulty with Frostfall on hardcore (no fast travel oh god). It certainly changes the game up quite a bit, but overall I think it's a positive experience having to care about clothing, food, weather, heat etc.

Is the hardcore "no fast travel" mode self-imposed or is that part of frostfall's options?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Jabarto posted:

That would actually be perfect for me, as well. I wouldn't even need a preset for that, would I? Just grab the stock one and shut off everything but shadows?

Yeah, that would work. You'll also want to make sure both the settings named "UseOriginal..." are set to true while all the other settings are set to false (except for the shadow setting, leave that set to true). You may or may not have to disable ingame AA, but honestly I find ENB's AA to be better anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Is the hardcore "no fast travel" mode self-imposed or is that part of frostfall's options?
It's part of the Hardcore setting for Frostfall.

graynull posted:

I've been using Hoodless Dragon Priest Masks which seems to get a little finicky with having to make a merged patch for the files. I'd be interested in trying your version with the Morokei fix.

Sure, give me a bit to upload it and I'll post a download link here.

On another note, I was thinking of creating a few Alteration spells to increase Unarmed damage so that playing an Unarmed character is viable on anything other than a Khajit. Problem is I'm not sure if it's even feasible through the CK.

• Locked thread