Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Make the ships run on pixels :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?
Really, mine plutonium from asteroids. Do this after you have snow gear.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Umberger posted:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\items\tools

beamaxe.beamaxe

blockRadius is the default mining radius. altBlockRadius is the radius of the tool when holding down shift. fireTime is how often it "swings" (lower means faster mining).

Zoe posted:

Can't remember where the exact post was, but basically you just go to your Starbound folder, look in assets/items/tools for a file called beamaxe.beamaxe, open it in Notepad and change "fireTime" to whatever number. 0.05 let's you hoover up dirt and cobblestone pretty much instantly, or use 0.3 if you want to just match a copper pickaxe.

e: beaten, but that's normal for this thread.

Also, coal powered ships are dumb too, ideally they should make us climb up the tech tree from stone tools to splitting the atom AT LEAST before letting us go to distant planets. Intra-system travel can be allowed before that but the trip should take 6-8 hours real time.

Pages late, but thanks!

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.
You can use any item as fuel with a little modding. Find the <x>.item file and add this line:

"fuelAmount" : Y

Where Y is the amount of fuel you want it to add. Don't forget a comma at the end if it's not the last line in the file before the close bracket.

If there's anything you don't like about this game, just mod it v:shobon:v

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Did they give some kind of ETA on today's patch? Being one-shotted in the Beta Sector isn't fun :(

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

drat, another sweet game with really really hard bosses.

Seriously, the penguin thing is ridiculous.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'm of the opinion that the game design should revolve around whether or not something is fun, and if it has to go around this, it should be for balance purposes (so that the game doesn't stop being fun faster).

Is mining coal/chopping logs fun? No, it's a pain in the rear end.
Does mining for fuel add any sort of balance benefit? No, it just adds work and time for if you want to go check out a new planet.

Mining other blocks isn't fun, but it does have some fun benefits - progression, being excited to see a rare ore, and balance - and at some point, you're done mining that ore, too. I'd like the mining time decreased personally, but that's me. Fuel doesn't serve the same purposes, and so it should be simplified or taken out.

I can't think of any other reason to have it as a feature, so it should either be taken out, or substituted with a system where you can make fuel out of any crap you picked up.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Arsonide posted:

We need someone to animate these "Nyanthers" and get them in the game as a rare unique mob.

Your Nyanthers look like Sabertooth Poptarts.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Seriously though we should be able to take copper and craft it into batteries or something and then convert the batteries to fuel.

2 Track EP posted:

You can use any item as fuel with a little modding. Find the <x>.item file and add this line:

"fuelAmount" : Y

Where Y is the amount of fuel you want it to add. Don't forget a comma at the end if it's not the last line in the file before the close bracket.

If there's anything you don't like about this game, just mod it v:shobon:v

Or maybe I'll just do this. I am drowning in copper.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.
So, you can still cheese fights with any Wind element weapon that shoots a projectile. This could possibly only work with spears because their long reach means the projectile starts on the other side of the wall.

You can still cheat your way through the UFO boss using terrain and a Wind Spear

e: Also I didn't like the pickaxe grind so I modded my Stone Pickaxe to dig a 5x5 space at roughly the same speed as a Diamond Pick (slightly faster, actually), I also multiplied its durability by 100 because I'm a dirty cheater. Here's the contents of the .miningtool file if you want to do this yourself. starbound\assets\items\tools\stonepickaxe.miningtool

code:
{
  "itemName" : "stonepickaxe",
  "inventoryIcon" : "stonepickaxeicon.png",
  "dropCollision" : [-4.0, -3.0, 4.0, 3.0],
  "maxStack" : 1,
  "rarity" : "common",
  "inspectionKind" : "tool",
  "description" : "Pickaxes are so last millennium!",
  "shortdescription" : "Stone Pickaxe",
  "largeImage" : "stonepickaxebig.png",
  "image" : "stonepickaxe.png",
  "handPosition" : [-3, -4],
  "fireTime" : 0.3,
  "swingStart" : -40,
  "swingFinish" : 60,
  "blockRadius" : 5,
  "altBlockRadius" : 1,
  "twoHanded" : true,
  "strikeSound" : "/sfx/tools/pickaxe_hit.wav",
  "durability" : 75000,
  "durabilityPerUse" : 1,
  "durabilityRegenChart" : [
    [ [ "copperore" ], 750], [ [ "silverore" ], 1125], [ [ "goldore" ], 1500], [ [ "platinumore" ], 1875], [ [ "diamond" ], 2250]
  ],
  "tileDamage" : 3,
  "tileDamageBlunted" : 1.5
}

2 Track EP fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 10, 2013

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, this seems... ominous.

Well, promises to be interesting/fatal, time to have a looksee.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What do I need to do to unlock silver armor? Summon the UFO?

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I found a large, spinning version of the small pill shaped chests (?) of pixels you find underground. I used the MM on it and then it.. disappeared. Nothing in my inventory. Anyone else seen these, and is there supposed to be something in them?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

What do I need to do to unlock silver armor? Summon the UFO?

Silver armor is T2, so yes. He's stupid easy with the current weapons bug.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Mondlicht posted:

I found a large, spinning version of the small pill shaped chests (?) of pixels you find underground. I used the MM on it and then it.. disappeared. Nothing in my inventory. Anyone else seen these, and is there supposed to be something in them?

You're supposed to interact with them (e), but as far as I can tell they just give you short lovely "syringe" buffs or just outright kill you.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

2 Track EP posted:

So, you can still cheese fights with any Wind element weapon that shoots a projectile. This could possibly only work with spears because their long reach means the projectile starts on the other side of the wall.

You can still cheat your way through the UFO boss using terrain and a Wind Spear

Or you could shoot it with the iron bow like 3 times :v:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mondlicht posted:

Pretty sure those things give you some kind of special effect. Sometimes they heal you or do other poo poo that I haven't exactly figured out. You can't pick them up either that's why it disappeared.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Those things give you a short-time buff like higher jump, or it can instant kill you. Not really worth the risk of opening.

Which reminds me, I found a human(?) base (moon base?) on a planet, inside it was a strange cylinder which the Floran described as something like "it shoots out crafting materials at Floran" and my friend's Apex with something like "It dispenses crafting material". I used it with E and some stuff exploded out of it killing me instantly, scared the poo poo out of me.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 10, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

voltron lion force posted:

Pretty sure those things give you some kind of special effect. Sometimes they heal you or do other poo poo that I haven't exactly figured out. You can't pick them up either that's why it disappeared.

I got one that caused my character to glow in the dark for a bit. Made tunnel exploration easier.

Those things seem to have more negative effects than positive, though. Consider yourself warned.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
On the fuel discussion, we should be able to craft buckets and scoop up oil from those pools underground as fuel.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

DrManiac posted:

Or you could shoot it with the iron bow like 3 times :v:

Really?

Edit - God damnit did everything get erased???

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 10, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

OneTwentySix posted:

Does mining for fuel add any sort of balance benefit? No, it just adds work and time for if you want to go check out a new planet.

Mining other blocks isn't fun, but it does have some fun benefits - progression, being excited to see a rare ore, and balance - and at some point, you're done mining that ore, too. I'd like the mining time decreased personally, but that's me. Fuel doesn't serve the same purposes, and so it should be simplified or taken out.

I personally never had trouble coming up with the fuel to travel planets. Just go exploring / digging with a pickaxe and an axe and you can almost always return to your ship with plenty of materials to go to another planet. Are you just wandering the surface looking for buildings to pillage? I can imagine this causing difficulties in getting fuel supplies.

I agree that it doesn't serve much of a purpose, but to say that it impedes play is an exaggeration, I feel, especially because you just get the materials while doing other stuff. Perhaps Wood / Coal could be used in more to make them more appealing, but otherwise I think the system works fine.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Aug posted:

For fuel: build a giant tower to space and then mine plutonium. Pre - patch it was like 6 fuel per ore or something.

How many thousands of blocks do you need to reach asteroids? I gave up when on a moon I went up around 2200 blocks and still nothing, except the super cold temps that killed you in 5 seconds unless you placed campfires and torches every few spaces.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I got one that caused my character to glow in the dark for a bit. Made tunnel exploration easier.

Those things seem to have more negative effects than positive, though. Consider yourself warned.

The buffs last like 5 seconds and there's a pretty large chance of getting poisoned or instantly killed instead. So yeah, as it is just don't bother activating them.

Speaking of instant death, how on earth do you handle Temples on tier one planets? I keep finding them but there are hundreds of people with sniper rifles etc hanging around in the pitch dark. Sure I can one shot them, but I have to be able to see them first and by the time I do they pump me full of bullets.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im mostly upset about the wood thing because they should be absolutely pushing jumping from planet to planet as often as you want. Making it more of a grind is just stupid.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

OrangeSoda posted:

On the fuel discussion, we should be able to craft buckets and scoop up oil from those pools underground as fuel.

Buckets, tubes and pumps for moving fluids around are planned but not yet fully implemented. Think I remember seeing a dev post that oil was going to be fuelable. You can probably come up with a few uses for the other acid/poison/lava liquids.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I have an airship on my spawn planet, off to the far right of spawn, but for some reason I can't buy anything. There don't seem to be any merchants. Would anyone mind checking it out in their universe and see if the same thing happens for them?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

voltron lion force posted:

The effects I've seen so far are
good: regen, glowing, speed boost
bad: poison cloud I think?, setting you on fire I think?(death so quick its hard to tell) these tend to instagib prior to update, haven't done one since so I don't know if its been tweaked any.

The miniscule good effects vs overpowered bad effects (at least before update) were are so poorly balanced that I don't think its ever worth risking it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zeron posted:

The buffs last like 5 seconds and there's a pretty large chance of getting poisoned or instantly killed instead. So yeah, as it is just don't bother activating them.

Speaking of instant death, how on earth do you handle Temples on tier one planets? I keep finding them but there are hundreds of people with sniper rifles etc hanging around in the pitch dark. Sure I can one shot them, but I have to be able to see them first and by the time I do they pump me full of bullets.

Before patch, for me this was "I scrounged up 8+12 Iron bars, so I made an Anvil, a 2 bar dagger, and a shield".
Now, shield's don't even protect you from the local wildlife.

So I guess it's hope to find or build a suitably overkill weapon, then kamikaze rush the dungeon enemies one at a time and eventually, you will get rid of them.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

How do I bank pixels? I don't have the iron for it anyway but I'd like to have the metalcrafting station once I get the iron together.

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

I suspect the buff box things are broken in that they're applying their buffs/debuffs a dozen times, this is why the noises they make are so loud, the sound file is being playing x number of times at once. This is also why the debuffs kill you instantly instead of applying poison or burning.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Patch is uploading, as per kyren in IRC.

Edit: To the private Steam build, then they need to test. Upload will take about 20 minutes?

edit2: This update does NOT break saves.

edit3: existing crafted weapons remain overpowered.

Revol fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 11, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OneTwentySix posted:

Does mining for fuel add any sort of balance benefit? No.
I really disagree with this.
If you go exploring for even a few minutes you'll hit so many large coal pockets you'll be able to make an inter-system jump, to say nothing of the smaller jumps. And when I say "exploring" I don't just mean "digging through solid stone for several minutes straight until you hit coal" which is what a lot of people are painting the activity of gathering coal to be. There's lots to find underground: treasure chests, mini biomes, NPCs, rare ores, and you'll find this kind of stuff on any tier. It's not that you should ever have to "grind for coal", it's that you'll get coal in the process of doing other things.
And hell, even if you don't go mining, you'll easily find enough surface coal for a jump in just a few minutes by just walking around and having a look at your planet, which I figure is what people are doing anyway.

I don't understand how people can be so starved for coal unless their idea of planet-hopping is literally just touching down, glancing at the planet, and warping back up to head to the next one. The game is designed to support exploration and travel, but it's also trying to balance in such a way that you don't pick up and leave the second you see the planet's surface. You should at least spend a little time on a world exploring, which I thought is what everyone said they were trying to do anyway, and you'll get coal just as a result. On my starter planet alone, without ever going into anything but the shallowest surface caves, I got over 600 coal just from looping around once. That's not including all the torches I made to explore the dungeons or light up the surface, either.

My point is that grinding for coal is not really a necessity, and even if it ever became one, you could have enough for a full interstellar trip within maybe two minutes. There's a balance there, and even if they haven't quite hit it yet, I don't think all these suggestions to make travel cheap as free are what we need.

As for fuel being made from common items, I think it's best if an all-purpose smelter produce pixels, not fuel. Fuel items are valuable enough in their own way that they're almost a separate currency. Why even bother having fuel ores at all if regular ores can serve that purpose as well as making tools and armor?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

For all you wood using freaks out there, here's a mod just for you. Super Fusion Wood! Now you can stuff a single piece of raw wood into your fuel tank for 1000 fuel, amazing!

Just drop the two definition files in the zip into <starbound directory>/assets/items/materials/

lovely Filedropper Link: http://www.filedropper.com/fusionwood

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
So, I heard you have to use pokeballs on baby monsters. How do you craft those?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There's no reason why we can't make fuel out of any kind of biomass at any point in the game, especially turning wood into dried wood pellets or charcoal by way of furnace.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

Why even bother having fuel ores at all if regular ores can serve that purpose as well as making tools and armor?

I dunno, why do we have an ore integral to tools and armor being used as fuel right now? (hint: coal is required for steel, durasteel, etc.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, why do we have an ore integral to tools and armor being used as fuel right now? (hint: coal is required for steel, durasteel, etc.)
I'm saying there are two ore trees, one for fuel, one for metallic ore, and if metallic ore is going to be fuel then we might as well just get rid of fuel entirely. Steel/durasteel/etc is not really the same issue as making higher fuels useless. Unless of course I'm misreading you and you are actually advocating coal be removed and we just use metallic ores alone.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
I spent entirely too much time playing this today. But I finally managed to defeat the UFO after using the distress beacon and got my molten core. Found a bunch of great weapons in that underground tomb that helped me win that battle. Plus it helps that I had so much copper I was able to build a nice suit of armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kyrosiris posted:

But mining is pretty trivial once you get to that point?

Though I don't get why we're all even having this argument anymore when it's been pointed out that all it takes is adding a single line to a text file to resolve the issue if it bothers you.

You guys are all missing some pretty cool poo poo (sometimes literal poo poo) by not checking out the insides of your planets though!

• Locked thread