Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your phone has downloaded the 4.4.1 -> 4.4.2 OTA but your recovery still thinks you are running 4.4. Which are you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Dradien posted:

Do you have a custom recovery installed at all, or anything like xposed framework? They could stop the installation of OTAs.

Yeah, the error I posted then quickly edited out was me goofing up by grabbing the wrong OTA. I grabbed the right one and now I'm trying to install it with clockwork. This is my new error:

quote:

"/system/bin/debuggerd" has unexpected contents

Searching around and this appears to be related to OTG apps, possibly an artifact from my OTG saga. If someone with a 4.4 N5 can copy that file and stick is somewhere for me to grab I'd greatly appreciate it.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 10, 2013

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

mfaley posted:

I'm confused. Is this 4.4.1 or 4.4.2? I don't even have 4.4.1 yet and Google Plus (lol) is all bananas about 4.4.2.

I'm glad this isn't just me. My Nexus 5 is on 4.4 with no sign of the 4.4.1 much less 4.4.2 update to my phone yet.

Meanwhile my Nexus 10 got both updates the day-of release.

What's the deal with this? Google still staggering updates to people, or is this an issue with my mobile provider?

Is there a manual way to update?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

You can manually update by grabbing the OTA from here.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

klockwerk posted:

What's the deal with this? Google still staggering updates to people.
Yes, because it's actually a pretty sensible way to push out an update.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

pliable posted:

For those with the Moto X (specifically on Sprint, or still running 4.2.2): Does anyone have issues with "Android OS" using up a shitload of battery (anywhere between 20-40%)? I don't know why, but this started a few days ago. An initial Google search tells me that it's something with Wi-Fi and a kworker process, however, I've always kept my Wi-Fi on and "Android OS" never drained that much battery. It's only cropped up within the past few days (and I've owned my Moto X for a few weeks now).

I'm trying to figure out which apps I've installed recently that could be doing this but, I'm stumped.

Anyone have this problem as well, or know how to fix it? Thanks!

I'm on the Republic Wireless version which is having the same problem, battery performance is dropping much more lately and it's leaving me a bad taste in my mouth from ask the praise this phone is getting.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Ashex posted:

If someone with a 4.4 N5 can copy that file and stick is somewhere for me to grab I'd greatly appreciate it.

Reflash 4.4 from here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Then flash the OTA.

Don't use the .bat file included with 4.4 unless you edit it to remove the -w flag so it doesn't wipe your data.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

KS posted:

Wow, I'll have to try it again. Maybe it's related to my phone's sudden inability since 4.4 to pair reliably in the first place. Thanks.

Pair, or connect after having paired? I saw a post on the Motorola forums saying they had connection problems with a device they were paired with before the 4.4 update. Unpairing, then repairing it solved their problem and it connected fine after that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Motorola has made Active Display a playstore app for Moto X devices on 4.4 (and Droid Ultra/Maxx once they get updated).

Glad to see that they are continuing to move system apps to get updates from the store instead of needing firmware updates.

Still no word on the The Droid Ultra and Maxx 4.4 up date, other than "really soon".

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?

Decius posted:

Does anyone else have pretty bad reception with the N5? Where my Samsung Galaxy S II managed H/3G indoors my N5 struggles to get Edge, sometimes even only GPRS. Outside it's better, but still worse than before. European bands if that's any difference.

I had the opposite happen. At work I used to regularly get 3g on my Note II and my Nexus 5 is constantly getting LTE. Depending on your service provider you may need to turn data roaming on. I'm on T-Mobile in a major US city.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bronin posted:

For those who already have 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 is the camera actually usable now in normal mode or is hdr+ still the way to go most of the time?

Yes it's dusty in desert.

In my office, florescent light directly overhead.

Non HDR

HDR+

You can see the camera really trying to overprocess the hell out of these still.

Through my office window, tinted, very overcast today.

Non HDR

HDR+

Loooooooooootta noise going on due to the low light. One of the things to note is that is pre 4.4.1 that moving box truck in the back ground of the HDR shot would have been a blurred mess. Not sure what kind of sorcery Google is pulling off for that.

Overall, quality is still meh. It's better but it's still no 5S or GS4. The camera speed though is amazing. Regular shots are drat near instant and taking an HDR shot is cut in half. Low light performance and shortening the minimum focus distance are vastly improved.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

the nicker posted:

Reflash 4.4 from here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Then flash the OTA.

Don't use the .bat file included with 4.4 unless you edit it to remove the -w flag so it doesn't wipe your data.

Thanks for the advice. I grabbed it and ran fastboot update image-hammerhead-krt16m.zip which somehow made recovery disappear (got a not found when rebooting to recovery). After re-rooting I was able to flash clockwork back then flash 4.4.2 :dance:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes it's dusty in desert.

In my office, florescent light directly overhead.

Non HDR

HDR+

You can see the camera really trying to overprocess the hell out of these still.

Through my office window, tinted, very overcast today.

Non HDR

HDR+

Loooooooooootta noise going on due to the low light. One of the things to note is that is pre 4.4.1 that moving box truck in the back ground of the HDR shot would have been a blurred mess. Not sure what kind of sorcery Google is pulling off for that.

Overall, quality is still meh. It's better but it's still no 5S or GS4. The camera speed though is amazing. Regular shots are drat near instant and taking an HDR shot is cut in half. Low light performance and shortening the minimum focus distance are vastly improved.

Thanks! Would you say you prefer the hdr mode or normal mode? I'm undecided myself but don't see myself taking two pictures of everything I want to take a picture of just so I can compare them... I guess if I have the time and there isn't too much movement hdr+ is the way to go.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Lblitzer posted:

I'm on the Republic Wireless version which is having the same problem, battery performance is dropping much more lately and it's leaving me a bad taste in my mouth from ask the praise this phone is getting.

I really don't think it's the phone itself, but rather something wonky and hosed up with Google Play Services. It seems like this problem isn't limited to just the Moto X, so...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bronin posted:

Thanks! Would you say you prefer the hdr mode or normal mode? I'm undecided myself but don't see myself taking two pictures of everything I want to take a picture of just so I can compare them... I guess if I have the time and there isn't too much movement hdr+ is the way to go.

I generally just leave it in HDR+ mode. With the new update it's no longer painfully slow and the new progress meter for HDR+ mode gives you a good idea of what you can pull off as far as movement in the shot is concerned.

Edit: And I'm sure someone already posted about it but I missed it. I picked up my N5 the other day and a paper clip was stuck to the lens cover. Apparently it's magnetized so you can use these stick on lenses.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 10, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit: And I'm sure someone already posted about it but I missed it. I picked up my N5 the other day and a paper clip was stuck to the lens cover. Apparently it's magnetized so you can use these stick on lenses.

Speaker magnet? And I thought the Nexus 5 "all the lenses will stick it was designed for this" was some internet created thing and not real? Sure they may stick, but Google didn't design the phone for that specific purpose.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hotsauce posted:

Speaker magnet? And I thought the Nexus 5 "all the lenses will stick it was designed for this" was some internet created thing and not real? Sure they may stick, but Google didn't design the phone for that specific purpose.

Unless your speaker is in a weird place? Speaker on the 5 is at the bottom and has its own magnetic field. Edit: It's pretty weak though so I'm not sure if it's OIS related or not. Either way, a quick Google search has hit or miss results on getting lenses that work with it.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Sony Z Ultra GPE, LG G Pad 8.3 GPE, and white (with a black front) Nexus 7 32GB WiFi have all randomly popped up on Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=sony_z_ultra - $649.00, ships free in 1 - 2 days
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=lg_g_pad - $349.99
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_32gb_2013_white - $269.00

Also, if you buy a Chromecast and a Nexus 7 together from the Play Store, you'll get $32 in Google Play credit.

The LG G Pad 8.3 is the first Google Play Experience tablet. Both it and the Sony Z Ultra are running Android 4.4.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 10, 2013

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, a friend updated her (AT&T) Moto X to Kit Kat and says that the battery life has gone to poo poo. Is this a known thing? She isn't rooted or anything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

XIII posted:

So, a friend updated her (AT&T) Moto X to Kit Kat and says that the battery life has gone to poo poo. Is this a known thing? She isn't rooted or anything.

Kit Kat seems to have some strange issues on the Moto X. It looks like the biggest one is where the cellular radio crashes daily if you use a Moto X with Kit Kat on AIO Wireless. This is apparently because the Moto X doesn't support AIO Wireless...which is AT&T.

Maybe it's an AT&T thing?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Sony Z Ultra GPE

:stare:

And I guess we can safely assume, since it's GPE, that the Sony camera software isn't on board (ala HTC One GPE). Shame if so.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 10, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
When are we going to get to the point where phones are the same size and lethality as a Batarang?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

When are we going to get to the point where phones are the same size and lethality as a Batarang?

My phone can put some pretty good holes in my wall if I throw it hard enough.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Thanks to you guys in this thread complaining about wobbly power buttan, I'm now acutely conscious of this 'problem'. Any idea if google will RMA my N5 just for this 'problem'? I know clam down had a couple other annoyances but I'm doubting google is going to bother.

I'm loving this phone a lot.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My phone can put some pretty good holes in my wall if I throw fastball it hard enough.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Cultural Imperial posted:

Thanks to you guys in this thread complaining about wobbly power buttan, I'm now acutely conscious of this 'problem'. Any idea if google will RMA my N5 just for this 'problem'? I know clam down had a couple other annoyances but I'm doubting google is going to bother.

Google RMAed my phone because of the wobbly power button. The new one I got was even worse though, so I sent it back and just try not to care about it too much. Maybe I'll try again in a year or so.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

bronin posted:

Google RMAed my phone because of the wobbly power button. The new one I got was even worse though, so I sent it back and just try not to care about it too much. Maybe I'll try again in a year or so.

How long did it take? Did they only send you the new phone after receiving the defective one?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

I did have other problems, but initially, the only problem I reported to Google was the power button and it resulted in an instant RMA with no questions asked. The replacement took about 3 days to ship, then a week to arrive to BC Canada. Totally up to you!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I did have other problems, but initially, the only problem I reported to Google was the power button and it resulted in an instant RMA with no questions asked. The replacement took about 3 days to ship, then a week to arrive to BC Canada. Totally up to you!

Thanks dude. I live in Vancouver. I think I'll give this a try in January.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

XIII posted:

My battery seemed fine with the update on AT&T.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So long story short, my father washed my mothers phone in the laundry, and it no longer can use the camera and hangs constantly, now usually unable to make calls or text as well.

So they live in a small town serviced only by a rogers sub branch, TBayTel, and he wants ideas for getting her a new one. Seeing their warranty didn't cover the damage(?), I figured the nexus 5 would do fine as a replacement (she had the gs3 before), and just wanted to confirm it works and would ship before new years.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

StealthArcher posted:

So long story short, my father washed my mothers phone in the laundry, and it no longer can use the camera and hangs constantly, now usually unable to make calls or text as well.

So they live in a small town serviced only by a rogers sub branch, TBayTel, and he wants ideas for getting her a new one. Seeing their warranty didn't cover the damage(?), I figured the nexus 5 would do fine as a replacement (she had the gs3 before), and just wanted to confirm it works and would ship before new years.

They have the N5 listed for sale on their website so I'd say it's safe to assume it works on their network.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They have the N5 listed for sale on their website so I'd say it's safe to assume it works on their network.

Meant more in the sense its not shipping broken, a few posts are all about RMAs.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Meant more in the sense its not shipping broken, a few posts are all about RMAs.

Honestly, the "loose power button" is a flimsy reason to RMA. A few goons don't represent the masses. And don't even go over to XDA. Every phone is broken and should be RMA'd at least 6 times according to them.

The Nexus 5 is fine.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

hotsauce posted:

Honestly, the "loose power button" is a flimsy reason to RMA. A few goons don't represent the masses. And don't even go over to XDA. Every phone is broken and should be RMA'd at least 6 times according to them.

The Nexus 5 is fine.

Always worth checking bro. That said, there's a good price difference between buying from goggles and from TBTel. How's the ship time lately?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce posted:

The Nexus 5 is fine.

Geez, I didn't ask for an RMA, I was just emailing them to ask if this was a problem or a known issue. They gave the RMA without me even hinting at one, and I wasn't expecting one. The first support email reply to my inquiry included the RMA link and shipping labels. Maybe tell Google they shouldn't be so generous or something?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

StealthArcher posted:

Always worth checking bro. That said, there's a good price difference between buying from goggles and from TBTel. How's the ship time lately?

No one will sell it as cheap as buying directly from Google. Looks like if you order a 32GB model it'll ship within a couple days. 16GB models are on a couple 2-4 week delay.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The snow Auto Awesome algorithm could use some tweaking.

:allears:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The snow Auto Awesome algorithm could use some tweaking.

:allears:

Why is that car pooping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

r0ck0 posted:

Why is that car pooping?

Probably blew a headgasket.

• Locked thread