Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Internet Kraken posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to use as a house that you can fasttravel to? I always like making my own little house in these kind of games. I found plenty of good spots in Fallout 3 but haven't found one I really like in New Vegas. I mean I could just use the Lucky 38 but you can't fast travel to it and don't really like the design. I doesn't even need useful stuff, just a place I can dump off random crap as decorations.

Last playthrough I just used a random shack entirely because it had a fence out front I could put decapitated heads on.

EDIT: Also it is really weird how when you have a low intelligence your character goes from speaking proper sentences to fragmented ones seemingly randomly.

I've always used good springs water source, there's a caravan right next to it with a suitcase, it's all you need and right next to the place you travel to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How well does The Tale of Two Wastelands work? Are there any game-crushing bugs?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

2house2fly posted:

The wiki has a list of places you can use as "incidental housing", I usually use Lone Wolf Radio as a simple-but-effective storage area. One container for stuff I want to keep, one for stuff I want to sell, no loading screen to get inside, depressing graffiti to look at. Lovely.

Next time I might use the Scavenger Platform. A raft adrift in a huge lake seems like a really cool place to live, actually. Lakelurks aside. It's a shame you can't live at the Prospector's den; I've always felt affectionate about that place.

Edit:

Haha, that place sounds cool

Ah cool, thanks for the link. Think I'll go look for some of those places. Need to find a nice place to spruce up for my classy courier when he isn't smashing skulls with a super sledge.

I'm not using mods because modding always ruins these games for me. I start by downloading one mod that sounds neat, then another, and then another and another and another and eventually my game ends up as a bloated mess that collapses in on itself. This game is buggy and unstable enough as it is.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Some NV mods improve stability and help against save game corruption. See the mod thread for details.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No Gods, No Masters.

Holy poo poo, did I just beat the two final bosses of the game through a series of Speech Checks? Because that's loving awesome. E: Also? Getting the achievement for 50 successful speech checks during the massive word war against Lanius was pretty cool.

Tabitha and Rhonda's adventures got turned into childrens' books. :3:

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 10, 2013

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just went to the store and traded in my copy of New Vegas for the ultimate edition. Haven't played in a year or so and I'm getting the itch.

What is the canon order for the dlc's? I want to experience them in the proper order.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Just went to the store and traded in my copy of New Vegas for the ultimate edition. Haven't played in a year or so and I'm getting the itch.

What is the canon order for the dlc's? I want to experience them in the proper order.

Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

That would be release order - Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road. That being said Honest Hearts is sort of an odd one out and can fit in anywhere. Just so long as Lonesome Road is the last one you do, and possibly the last thing you do before finishing up the game.

e: Had the itch to play again but having a devil of a time deciding on a character build to play. My last guy was a sort of generic gunsy assault rifle type, who worked okay but had trouble in most of the DLC. I used JSawyer last time and I've added in CCO too, as recommended... somewhere, forget where. I'm torn between doing an energy weapons and unarmed type, or an outdoorsy cowboy type, so as to try and get a bit more out of Survival and such, which I basically ignored before. I've started the energy weapon guy, who's managing okay so far and would ideally be toting power armour and a plasma caster by game's end, but I'm indecisive. What's some fun builds with those mods in particular?

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 10, 2013

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Officially? Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road. It's a good order to do them in. Dead Money tends to be kind of frustrating for some people though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Alright, I'll do it in that order. Maybe wait until I'm decently geared up before taking em on. I might try to go for the wildcard ending this time, it's the only one I haven't seen.

I've always wondered something. Is it possible to do a pacifist playthrough of this game? I know the boxing gloves and cattle prod are non lethal, but are there any enemies that the plot absolutely requires you to kill?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Recommended-level-wise, OWB is 15+, DM is 20+, and LR is 25+. HH doesn't seem to have a level recommendation, but ~level 10 seems to work okay for me; if you're using guns you probably want your gun skill up to 75 for the .45 Auto SMG, and there's a level 90 speech check to get the best ending if you're so inclined. OWB can get obnoxious if you leave it until later.

Pacifism is totally possible, you just have to sprint past some enemies in the endgame and never tangle with Deathclaws. I wouldn't try it in the DLCs, though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pacifist run is easier if you restrict it to sentient life.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

caleramaen posted:

Officially? Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road. It's a good order to do them in. Dead Money tends to be kind of frustrating for some people though.

Dead Money stopped my last playthrough dead for a couple of weeks. The big problem is really just how confusing the level design is, and the fact the map is basically useless because of how maze-like it is doesn't help matters much. It's a shame, too, because I loved it otherwise. The story was cool, the setting owned, and I loved being back to having to make every shot and stimpack count.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dr Snofeld posted:

e: Had the itch to play again but having a devil of a time deciding on a character build to play.

energy weapons and explosives. That's what I'm doing this time around. It's pretty fun using things I basically never used, like grenades. why bother when I can just headshot people from a mile away? Well, now I don't have that excuse.

I should probably pick up Arcade asap to complete the look. Mad scientists with energy guns.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Dead Money stopped my last playthrough dead for a couple of weeks. The big problem is really just how confusing the level design is, and the fact the map is basically useless because of how maze-like it is doesn't help matters much. It's a shame, too, because I loved it otherwise. The story was cool, the setting owned, and I loved being back to having to make every shot and stimpack count.

I just turn god mode on anymore. I did it the right way once. Never again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

caleramaen posted:

It's not even dying, I just get turned around so much that I can't get from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It's not even dying, I just get turned around so much that I can't get from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time.

Getting turned around in the wrong spot has potentially lethal consequences. "Why isn't the beeping stopping?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I've always wondered something. Is it possible to do a pacifist playthrough of this game? I know the boxing gloves and cattle prod are non lethal, but are there any enemies that the plot absolutely requires you to kill?
you can't finish the game without either killing Mr House or blowing up the Brotherhood Of Steel. Apart from that it's doable, though I've never tried.

Pro Tip: pick up the Compliance Regulator in Honest Hearts ASAP

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I find just wandering whereever you're allowed to wander (ie not through the clouds) will get you where you want to be pretty much every time, without resorting to the map.

2house2fly posted:

you can't finish the game without either killing Mr House or blowing up the Brotherhood Of Steel. Apart from that it's doable, though I've never tried.

I did it when the game first came out, it's pretty easy. And House will die at some point in the future, not immediately.

And aside from House it was completely non-violent.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Alrighty then, got a new character loaded up. I'm specializing in guns stealth and explosives as usual. I'll save a different playstyle for my next run. I'm liking the courier's stash items. It helps to have a decent weapon and some spending money right off the bat. it's been so long since I played last, this game really feels like a fresh experience. Especially with the dlc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Doing a pacifist run of these games always struck me as pointless. I mean, it is possible but it doesn't feel legitimate in the sense that my character doesn't seem like a pacifist. A bunch of quests still have you killing people, albeit indirectly. It doesn't really feel like pacifism, not like in say a stealth game where you can carefully knock people out. In this you knock people out and leave them to get eaten by a wandering Gecko or something.

I don't get why this game is so easy even on the highest difficulty setting. Playing on Very Hard in Hardcore and I'm still just crushing everything. It probably wouldn't be so easy if I didn't have Raul with me, since followers seem to do absurd damage if you have charisma that isn't abysmal. But every other playthrough I completely ignored followers so I wanted to use them this time.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 11, 2013

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Elijah straight-up tells you that your map is useless in the Sierra Madre complex.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like Dead Money but after the Nth time of having my legs crippled by barely visible bear traps it starts to grate a little.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Internet Kraken posted:

Doing a pacifist run of these games always struck me as pointless. I mean, it is possible but it doesn't feel legitimate in the sense that my character doesn't seem like a pacifist. A bunch of quests still have you killing people, albeit indirectly.

So don't do em. Plenty of quests can be solved completely non-violently (eg. Come Fly With Me, Return to Sender, Classic Inspiration).

Internet Kraken posted:

It doesn't really feel like pacifism, not like in say a stealth game where you can carefully knock people out. In this you knock people out and leave them to get eaten by a wandering Gecko or something.

So don't knock people out? I don't understand your objection.

And Very Hard and Hardcore don't really make the game significantly more difficult, but there are plenty of mods that do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I like Dead Money but after the Nth time of having my legs crippled by barely visible bear traps it starts to grate a little.

Yep, that too. Doesn't help that doctor's bags are some goddamn expensive, and when I heal one leg I usually get the other one crippled by yet another bear trap right after.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So don't do em. Plenty of quests can be solved completely non-violently (eg. Come Fly With Me, Return to Sender, Classic Inspiration).

So don't knock people out? I don't understand your objection.

I was more commentating on the way the game is designed makes pacifist playthroughs feel cheap to me. I actually enjoy playing pacifist in games, I just felt like it didn't matter in New Vegas since your character doesn't change much. Also unless they changed something the KO system is really terrible and NPCs you KO will get up 5 seconds later and come running after you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's kinda my issue with the pacifist playthrough too. It'll involve a lot of running away from people while being shot at because many of the game's enemies are irreversibly hostile against you. It's a pretty neat concept that turns the game mechanics against itself but in practice it just didn't work out like I thought it would.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

caleramaen posted:

I still enjoy dead money whenever I load up and play the game again. The only place I have trouble with is the holograms right at the end, right before you reach the vault.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RBA Starblade posted:

Try stepping lightly.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Brotherhood of Steel in NV feel a bit...pathetic. I'm doing a Science/Energy Weapons playthrough for the first time and just completely loving steamrolled the entire base with no companions at all and a Laser Rifle (granted, I was using Optimized ammo, but still). Reprogrammed the turrets, mopped up the survivors in a humiliating, crushing defeat fueled by the ridiculous cocktail of drugs coursing through my veins. Combining a laser rifle with Steady, Rushing Water, and Turbo is hilarious, I think I killed four people before anyone got a shot off. And a combination of Jet, Ultrajet, Sugar Bombs, and Mushroom Cloud with Rushing Water, Rebound, and a bunch of agility-boosting drugs let me fire something like ten times every VATS round, then do it again a few seconds later.

I actually felt sorry for them, putting up no effective resistance whatsoever as everything they know and love is methodically vaporized by an implacable man in a suit of Enclave power armor.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Mister Bates posted:

The Brotherhood of Steel in NV feel a bit...pathetic. I'm doing a Science/Energy Weapons playthrough for the first time and just completely loving steamrolled the entire base with no companions at all and a Laser Rifle (granted, I was using Optimized ammo, but still). Reprogrammed the turrets, mopped up the survivors in a humiliating, crushing defeat fueled by the ridiculous cocktail of drugs coursing through my veins. Combining a laser rifle with Steady, Rushing Water, and Turbo is hilarious, I think I killed four people before anyone got a shot off. And a combination of Jet, Ultrajet, Sugar Bombs, and Mushroom Cloud with Rushing Water, Rebound, and a bunch of agility-boosting drugs let me fire something like ten times every VATS round, then do it again a few seconds later.

I actually felt sorry for them, putting up no effective resistance whatsoever as everything they know and love is methodically vaporized by an implacable man in a suit of Enclave power armor.

Sounds like the last time I was in Vault City. Power fisted ~*First Citizen Lynette*~ in the crotch and set about razing the place.

Zzzap.
Zzzzzzap. :unsmigghh:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Theres no small amount of fun in razing Vault City. Everyone, Atleast once, needs to introduce Lynette to the business end of a lasgun.

As for wiping out the BOS, thank your :catdrugs: a lot. Drugs be crazy man.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Internet Kraken posted:

Doing a pacifist run of these games always struck me as pointless. I mean, it is possible but it doesn't feel legitimate in the sense that my character doesn't seem like a pacifist. A bunch of quests still have you killing people, albeit indirectly. It doesn't really feel like pacifism, not like in say a stealth game where you can carefully knock people out. In this you knock people out and leave them to get eaten by a wandering Gecko or something.

I don't get why this game is so easy even on the highest difficulty setting. Playing on Very Hard in Hardcore and I'm still just crushing everything. It probably wouldn't be so easy if I didn't have Raul with me, since followers seem to do absurd damage if you have charisma that isn't abysmal. But every other playthrough I completely ignored followers so I wanted to use them this time.

Don't worry, you could have 1 CHA and Raul would still completely break the difficulty. I remember a playthrough where I freed him at like Level 3 (with the aid of a stealth boy) and when we left the room I just bolted back to Hidden Valley, only to have him pretty much kill his way through every super mutant and centaur to catch up to me.

And when you finish his quest and he gets his vaquero outfit, it only becomes even bigger overkill.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Psion posted:

energy weapons and explosives. That's what I'm doing this time around. It's pretty fun using things I basically never used, like grenades. why bother when I can just headshot people from a mile away? Well, now I don't have that excuse.
Why headshot people from a mile away when you can use an incinerator or grenade machine gun and rain death down on them from almost as far? Or go back to shooting them from a mile away when you get the Gauss rifle (with optimized MF Cells and Meltdown, it's ridiculous.)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I finally turned off Hardcore mode after realizing that most of the added difficulty came from wrestling with inventory UI to shuffle around food and water from companions or my hotel room stash in Novac. I'll admit that it did make Dead Money a lot more challenging due to the constant health drain outside the casino, but I felt that all it did was make me rush from quest to quest without being able to explore, which is one of the main reasons I like RPGs. That might also be due to me not really enjoying survival horror as a genre. I guess if Hardcore disabled all/most fast travel, that might make the game feel different too, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy having to physically walk around the Mojave over and over again.

If the next Fallout has a similar play mode, I'd love to see Bottle That Water, some sort of ration box equivalent for food, and easily found portable bedrolls (I think these exist in NV, but only in a DLC or the late game which makes no sense from a realism perspective) be baked into the base game.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 11, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Hardcore mode makes me play more mindfully of what I'm doing, but the meter buildup is never such that I feel rushed, and even in DM the health drain isn't fast enough that it makes much of a difference as long as you're eating fairly regularly. Not being able to carry all the ammo in the wasteland is in some ways an improvement. It probably does help that I use a home with item sorters. It can also make stimpacks in some ways more powerful, since chem extenders can increase their healing power.

Is the K9000 just not a very good gun? I finally took a character who can wield it into OWB, but it seemed to do diddly damage even to the first lobotomites I ran across.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The real reason for Hardcore mode isn't to have you constantly eating and drinking (although this is kinda nice), the real fun of it is making you unable to carry around 200bs of guns at a whim.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Yeah I'm gonna jump on the not really caring for Hardcore mode bandwagon. I've never liked using weight as a limiting facotr for inventory because it never feels like you can strike a good balance with it. I find Needs systems generally obnoxious as well when survival isn't the primary point of the game. In NV it felt rather tacked on.

I'll go out on a limb and say the only part I particularly liked about HC mode is the Stimpacks being overtime heals rather than instant. I never understood why Bethesda shifted away from that after Oblivion. At least that's easy make a mod for.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Over-time heals are straight up better than instant heals most of the time, in my opinion. I carry a wide variety of food and healing items and down one of each whenever things start to look hairy, because stacking enough of them makes you completely invulnerable for the duration of the effects. You heal up damage faster than it can be inflicted.

Sure, it's kind of unrealistic that the enemy would just stop to let me wolf down a five-course dinner and twenty different pills washed down with a cask of booze, but it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It also helps to play with some mods to make it more interesting. Jsawyer.esp alone is pretty good at making it better.

Though you really should have a mix of organization and weight management. So even if you can lift hundreds of pounds of gear, you have to find a way to actually carry it all. And then you have a comfort point, where you can carry poo poo with like no worries, and then a "this is kind of effort" with another level of "this is very heavy gently caress this poo poo I d need to bring back every loving lasgun from every dead fiend I see ugh I hate me" where you're almost falling down with poo poo.