Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

CJacobs posted:

Can I just talk about that part of the Hunger Games movie where the one kid disguises himself as a rock because he's good at decorating cakes? And it almost works???

It's poo poo. It's absolute schlock.

Isn't that guy badly wounded at this point too?

So I'm totally bleeding out from my leg wound, better lay down on this cold rock and spend hours somehow camouflaging myself in a way where I can't even move my head without breaking the effect. GENIUS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

INH5 posted:

I recently saw an obscure 2010 German vampire movie named We Are the Night. I really liked most of the movie, but the ending really got under my skin. It feels cheap and frustrating, comes out of nowhere, and just generally doesn't make sense.

I haven't seen it, but your description makes it sound like they literally just left, and the last scene is there to show that the police didn't get there in time to catch them? I'm not convinced that it's trying to be a locked room puzzle, and it strikes me as weird that your thought process goes "realistically, a wounded action hero would be in danger from infection if they left through the tunnel, also there's a vampire"

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Present posted:

So I'm totally bleeding out from my leg wound, better lay down on this cold rock and spend hours somehow camouflaging myself in a way where I can't even move my head without breaking the effect. GENIUS!

This is the same kid who was the 5th wheel in the group of the top 4 competitors. Somehow his strength from lifting sacks of grain or whatever made him a contributing member to these kids who had trained their whole lives to murder other kids.

Sure.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is the same kid who was the 5th wheel in the group of the top 4 competitors. Somehow his strength from lifting sacks of grain or whatever made him a contributing member to these kids who had trained their whole lives to murder other kids.

Sure.

They are keeping him alive to help them find the real threat: Katniss. They are supposedly in love. Also, might as well make him carry all the heavy poo poo.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
That movie would have been so much better had they made him start throwing giant rocks to knock her out of that tree. It is his specialty after all.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU!!

It was a joke, in that none of them are "dumb" and the "hey no books" thing was a joke. Note how Thor immediately then recommends a better book than what the teacher knows that "virgin" girl has been sleeping with? The whole point is that they're NOT the archetypes they're portrayed as.

Thanks for the responses, it makes a lot more sense now. With no knowledge of the PSA it is a really confusing scene.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

INH5 posted:

I recently saw an obscure 2010 German vampire movie named We Are the Night. I really liked most of the movie, but the ending really got under my skin. It feels cheap and frustrating, comes out of nowhere, and just generally doesn't make sense.

Okay, it's been more than a year since I saw that movie but I think the ambiguity comes from the question of what happened when she zoned out? Or before the other folks show up. iirc they left it open as to whether she bit him and made him a vampire despite the other vampire's warning against making men vampires (and Tom's wishes, too?) and the locked room mystery ended up something along the lines of whether they just went outside together and self-immolated because being a vampire sucks or have somehow wandered off into the sunset safely? I thought the other cop says something like, "Good luck" and I had the impression that they should have been trapped in there with no way out thus the shock. I do clearly remember thinking, "What the hell just happened?" and ultimately deciding it ended however I wanted it to end. So, my reaction was not much different to yours.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Present posted:

I like to think that there was a goony goon in the Capitol who heard Peeta during the training about painting cakes, and sent him a box of paint just to see if he'd paint himself like rock. Maybe there was even the usual creepy goon note that he would sent some wasps or bees to kill Katniss if he didn't see some Bob loving Ross right now, cakeman!

Someone mentioned earlier the great idea of, if you are in the Games, to hide like a fucker until it's just you and someone else left, and then somehow kill them, so you win! In the book and I can't remember if it was in the second movie or not, but Haymitch tells Katniss that when he was in the Games, he won by default; the other last standing kid threw a spear or something at him, it hit a shield and bounced back and killed the kid. So Haymitch was the winner. But not the clear winner the Capitol wanted. So they murdered his girlfriend and the rest of his family.

Similar to how Katniss wanted her and Peeta to eat the berries once the 'two winners from the same District' rule was changed: it was a way to stick it to the Capitol, and a Game without a winner is just poo poo.

Non Hunger Game poo poo: I loved Let the Right One In, but the American version made Eli/Abbey way more hosed up than the initial movie, or even the book where Eli's 'helper' is a known pedophile who actually pays a kid for sex, but changes his mind when he sees the kid had all of his teeth ripped out. In the American movie, the helper wasn't some adult Abbey met, it was a boy she ran off with, who grew up and aged and finally was killed when he was of no more use to her. In the book, Eli is actually distraught after he has to kill his helper and has a small snap about why he can't keep anyone in his life. So Eli did seem to have some platonic feelings for his helper. Meanwhile Abbey is just looking for another slave. Eli is a LOT more likeable, so why change that?

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Dec 11, 2013

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

swamp waste posted:

I haven't seen it, but your description makes it sound like they literally just left, and the last scene is there to show that the police didn't get there in time to catch them? I'm not convinced that it's trying to be a locked room puzzle, and it strikes me as weird that your thought process goes "realistically, a wounded action hero would be in danger from infection if they left through the tunnel, also there's a vampire"

Perhaps I didn't make this clear enough in my description, but the presentation of the scene was really confusing. For instance, the tunnel that I talked about is only seen in a 5 second establishing shot about 30 minutes before the end. I totally forgot about it until I watched the movie a second time. Like BarbarousBertha, my initial thought process was, "What just happened? Where did they go? Isn't the sun up?"

Also, said tunnel is accessed through a manhole that is outside in the middle of the street. The sun only just came up, so there might be enough shade for Lena to get there safely, but the movie never shows this to be the case.

BarbarousBertha posted:

Okay, it's been more than a year since I saw that movie but I think the ambiguity comes from the question of what happened when she zoned out? Or before the other folks show up. iirc they left it open as to whether she bit him and made him a vampire despite the other vampire's warning against making men vampires (and Tom's wishes, too?) and the locked room mystery ended up something along the lines of whether they just went outside together and self-immolated because being a vampire sucks or have somehow wandered off into the sunset safely? I thought the other cop says something like, "Good luck" and I had the impression that they should have been trapped in there with no way out thus the shock. I do clearly remember thinking, "What the hell just happened?" and ultimately deciding it ended however I wanted it to end. So, my reaction was not much different to yours.

The biggest problem with that idea is that turning into a vampire is shown to be a long, painful, and messy process. It takes Lena 2 days to fully transform, and she only gains her healing ability at the very end of that process (for the record, this isn't some minor detail; 15 minutes of the movie are devoted to this). It also apparently requires the subject to drink a significant amount of human blood to complete the process, which has...unpleasant implications in this situation. So turning Tom into a vampire shouldn't help him at all, at least not in the short term.

That's the worst part about it. It's not just a pointless locked room puzzle, it's a pointless locked room puzzle that makes less sense the more you try to figure it out.

INH5 has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Dec 11, 2013

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Non Hunger Game poo poo: I loved Let the Right One In, but the American version made Eli/Abbey way more hosed up than the initial movie, or even the book where Eli's 'helper' is a known pedophile who actually pays a kid for sex, but changes his mind when he sees the kid had all of his teeth ripped out. In the American movie, the helper wasn't some adult Abbey met, it was a boy she ran off with, who grew up and aged and finally was killed when he was of no more use to her. In the book, Eli is actually distraught after he has to kill his helper and has a small snap about why he can't keep anyone in his life. So Eli did seem to have some platonic feelings for his helper. Meanwhile Abbey is just looking for another slave. Eli is a LOT more likeable, so why change that?
Another thing I noticed is that when Eli has to kill someone, she puts them out of their misery as soon as she can. Abbey, on the other hand, doesn't give a poo poo and just lets her victims slowly die in agony. Also, the vampire attacks in the remake look really fake. Sure, the cat attack in the Swedish movie looked fake too but at least that only happened once.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Yes, sorry, I meant the first movie. I had read the book so long ago that aside from discussion here I wasn't really up on the details, so watching the movie was fairly fresh for me.

The "wounded, so let me hang out by the river rocks" bugged me too, but in general I like weirdly bad and badly weird movies so it has to be something biggish for me to bitch.

Say, for example, the fact that they made a movie out of the wonderfully bizarre book John Dies at the End. It's a long book with lots and lots of stuff going on, so it's understandable that poo poo will be cut and rewritten (i.e., no Vegas trip).

HOWEVER, during the scene in the liquor truck where John starts handing out weapons, ummmmmm huh? They establish in the first part of the movie, which happens last chronologically, that yes, they have weapons for dealing with the Weird poo poo. But the liquor truck happens literally the day after John first tries the Soy Sauce, and has not yet begun to fight, so to speak.

I mean, it's cute and all that he's got a bible bat, but when did he make this and how did it get to the truck when John was freaking out, passed out, or dead? It's not even like the FedEx delivery, it's just "Oh here's my bag of weapons, y'all."

Could have made that book into three or four movies, but who would bother? Personally I liked the floating bags of goo and the ending in the book about the marks on the feet, all of which was superfluous to the story they made into a movie.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That70sHeidi posted:

Yes, sorry, I meant the first movie. I had read the book so long ago that aside from discussion here I wasn't really up on the details, so watching the movie was fairly fresh for me.

The "wounded, so let me hang out by the river rocks" bugged me too, but in general I like weirdly bad and badly weird movies so it has to be something biggish for me to bitch.

Say, for example, the fact that they made a movie out of the wonderfully bizarre book John Dies at the End. It's a long book with lots and lots of stuff going on, so it's understandable that poo poo will be cut and rewritten (i.e., no Vegas trip).

HOWEVER, during the scene in the liquor truck where John starts handing out weapons, ummmmmm huh? They establish in the first part of the movie, which happens last chronologically, that yes, they have weapons for dealing with the Weird poo poo. But the liquor truck happens literally the day after John first tries the Soy Sauce, and has not yet begun to fight, so to speak.

I mean, it's cute and all that he's got a bible bat, but when did he make this and how did it get to the truck when John was freaking out, passed out, or dead? It's not even like the FedEx delivery, it's just "Oh here's my bag of weapons, y'all."

Could have made that book into three or four movies, but who would bother? Personally I liked the floating bags of goo and the ending in the book about the marks on the feet, all of which was superfluous to the story they made into a movie.
The film cut out everything that made the book interesting. The memory stuff, Zhitload`s meatworld speech, everything with Dave`s backstory (which is weird, given how well the actor plays him as so detached and unbalanced), the way the demons act like 12 year old 4channers. They should have ignored the Korrok plot focused on Shitload`s stuff.

Although the resolution with the dog was inspired.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Rurea posted:

Thanks for the responses, it makes a lot more sense now. With no knowledge of the PSA it is a really confusing scene.

The thing that bothers me is that the original PSA is about drugs - what the gently caress was Cabin in the Woods trying to spoof it by using books of all things? The entire joke falls flat because it's a family guy style joke where they just reference something and do the nod wink thing hoping you laugh because it's based off something else. Oh wait, it's a Joss Whedon movie, gotta reference anything and everything in nerd pop culture just because.

That's another annoying thing about movies, when they try to reference current pop culture for a joke and it completely kills the mood. poo poo like Scott Pilgrim Vs the World is the biggest offender, which is super sad because the style of the film was pretty gorgeous and it could have been another one of those Suckerpunch type movies. Instead, every frame is just packed with stupid nerd poo poo jokes that just ruins any enjoyment for people outside of a very narrow demographic. They had Edgar Wright as the director and he still couldn't save that poo poo.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The thing that bothers me is that the original PSA is about drugs - what the gently caress was Cabin in the Woods trying to spoof it by using books of all things? The entire joke falls flat because it's a family guy style joke where they just reference something and do the nod wink thing hoping you laugh because it's based off something else. Oh wait, it's a Joss Whedon movie, gotta reference anything and everything in nerd pop culture just because.

That's another annoying thing about movies, when they try to reference current pop culture for a joke and it completely kills the mood. poo poo like Scott Pilgrim Vs the World is the biggest offender, which is super sad because the style of the film was pretty gorgeous and it could have been another one of those Suckerpunch type movies. Instead, every frame is just packed with stupid nerd poo poo jokes that just ruins any enjoyment for people outside of a very narrow demographic. They had Edgar Wright as the director and he still couldn't save that poo poo.

It's interesting because I couldn't disagree with you more on the Scott Pilgrim front. I'm not really a nerd and I have no doubts I missed a ton of references, but it didn't stop me enjoying a film which was almost 'hipster pop-culture: the movie'. It was fun and silly and didn't take itself seriously and revelled in the artistic direction and kind of 'post-modern cynical irony' thing that's so popular at the moment. Suckerpunch on the other hand took itself way too seriously in my opinion, and ended up as a movie where you couldn't tell how much was a parody of exploitation and how much was just exploitation. Scott Pilgrim seemed like a thing where people set out to make a fun movie and ended up making a great one, whereas in Suckerpunch they set out to make a clever movie and ended up making a boring one.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Haha, it was just a throwaway joke and it was referencing one of the popular commercials ever made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHIzOq9o-h4

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

It is not Whedon's fault you don't understand basic human interaction.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
The best part about Scott Pilgrim was that they actually made his band sound like amateurs. Like, they actually took time to show the different levels of talent. Sex Bob-Bomb is pretty much your local opener band, whereas The Clash At Demonhead sounds like something you'd see under an indie label.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I loved Let the Right One In, but the American version made Eli/Abbey way more hosed up than the initial movie, or even the book where Eli's 'helper' is a known pedophile who actually pays a kid for sex, but changes his mind when he sees the kid had all of his teeth ripped out. In the American movie, the helper wasn't some adult Abbey met, it was a boy she ran off with, who grew up and aged and finally was killed when he was of no more use to her. In the book, Eli is actually distraught after he has to kill his helper and has a small snap about why he can't keep anyone in his life. So Eli did seem to have some platonic feelings for his helper. Meanwhile Abbey is just looking for another slave. Eli is a LOT more likeable, so why change that?

Actually really loved the American version. It was the first vampire movie that I've ever seen that was actually scary/creepy. You maybe start to feel a little sympathy for the girl but soon realize that she's using all of the kids frailties, loneliness, and emerging adolescence to control him. They give you a hint of how messed up this kids life is going to be through what happens to her current servant. Little touches like the vampire's super adult handwriting in the note she leaves the kid remind you how wrong what's going on is. Its -very- creepy in a "To Catch a Predator" sense.

Hearing that the original was more typical 'woe-is-me' forlorn vampire stuff makes me inclined to want to skip it.

Cornuto has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Dec 11, 2013

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

hyperhazard posted:

The best part about Scott Pilgrim was that they actually made his band sound like amateurs. Like, they actually took time to show the different levels of talent. Sex Bob-Bomb is pretty much your local opener band, whereas The Clash At Demonhead sounds like something you'd see under an indie label.

Supposedly, Michael Cera is quite good on bass and he had to consciously tone down the quality of his playing to get the amateur roughness that Sex Bob-omb calls for.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

That70sHeidi posted:

Chances are John did a lot when he was freaking out. Oh, he was probably crazy and blathering while he did it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he set that stuff up while he was more or less omniscient, just in case or whatever.

I read the book after watching the movie, and while I liked a lot of stuff in it, I see why a lot was written out - the book was written episodically on a website, a lot of it felt disjointed, like separate stories that only had a tenuous connection to each other.

Omnilicus
Aug 13, 2007

Patattack posted:

Supposedly, Michael Cera is quite good on bass and he had to consciously tone down the quality of his playing to get the amateur roughness that Sex Bob-omb calls for.

Well he does have really good timing.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Rurea posted:

Okay so Cabin in the Woods. In the very beginning of the movie, blonde girl is talking to virgin girl as she is packing and notices she is bringing some textbooks. She tells virgin what a nerd she is or whatever but JUST THEN, her boyfriend Thor walks in as she is holding the book. What the gently caress happens next? He yells at her asking her where she got the book, she says "I learned it from you!" and runs away crying or fake crying or something I dont loving know. Thor gives a little smirk then continues talking to virgin. Did I completely miss some obvious reference or joke? It makes no goddamn sense to me.

Not only does it reference the PSA, as mentioned above, but its a subtle nod to the "on-the-job desensitization" the employees go through. At first, they are shocked and offended by the cavalier attitudes of their superiors, but eventually come to accept it as normal. To me, it showed that this "authority normalizes you" extends beyond fathers and smoking doobs to entire corporations and teenage murder.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cornuto posted:

Hearing that the original was more typical 'woe-is-me' forlorn vampire stuff makes me inclined to want to skip it.

Don't. It's far better than the remake because it recognised that the story isn't about vampires.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Wait a minute, so you're implying that you feel Scott Pilgrim would have been a better movie by being more like Sucker Punch? I know that everyone has their own opinion and the whole point of this thread is irrationality, but drat.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Wait a minute, so you're implying that you feel Scott Pilgrim would have been a better movie by being more like Sucker Punch? I know that everyone has their own opinion and the whole point of this thread is irrationality, but drat.

I thought Scott Pilgrim was pretty great as a movie. Its biggest downfall was that Michael Cera was the cast as the lead. While he comes across as a likable person, as an actor he's always the same character. Dude just didn't fit the role.

KoB
May 1, 2009

They are called jokes. Sometimes "friends" make "jokes" with each other to elicit laughter.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

KoB posted:

They are called jokes. Sometimes "friends" make "jokes" with each other to elicit laughter.

I think the problem is that the characters are not real people, they're characters in a movie that a very broad audience will view, and jokes in movies should be accessible.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nostradingus posted:

I think the problem is that the characters are not real people, they're characters in a movie that a very broad audience will view, and jokes in movies should be accessible.
There's a kraft macaroni and cheese advertisement referencing this. It's a pretty mainstream joke.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Don't. It's far better than the remake because it recognised that the story isn't about vampires.

Agreed.

Eli has ONE moment where he breaks down about being alone. It barely lasts two pages. The writing and storytelling from the original is ten times the American remake.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

I like to think that there was a goony goon in the Capitol who heard Peeta during the training about painting cakes, and sent him a box of paint just to see if he'd paint himself like rock. Maybe there was even the usual creepy goon note that he would sent some wasps or bees to kill Katniss if he didn't see some Bob loving Ross right now, cakeman!

Someone mentioned earlier the great idea of, if you are in the Games, to hide like a fucker until it's just you and someone else left, and then somehow kill them, so you win! In the book and I can't remember if it was in the second movie or not, but Haymitch tells Katniss that when he was in the Games, he won by default; the other last standing kid threw a spear or something at him, it hit a shield and bounced back and killed the kid. So Haymitch was the winner. But not the clear winner the Capitol wanted. So they murdered his girlfriend and the rest of his family.

Similar to how Katniss wanted her and Peeta to eat the berries once the 'two winners from the same District' rule was changed: it was a way to stick it to the Capitol, and a Game without a winner is just poo poo.

Yeah it is more likely someone bought Peeta a kit to paint himself as a gift. He was a highly ranked underdog who survived for a long time into the games. And they do interview everyone before the game to understand their talents. Some rich hipster wanted to support him

Also hiding is a bad idea. There is a game master who is there to keep the game interesting. They will murder you if you are boring. Which is why the mutant dogs get sent out in the end. To force a conflict that ends the games. That spoiler of haymitch is the best case scenario.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Also hiding is a bad idea. There is a game master who is there to keep the game interesting. They will murder you if you are boring. Which is why the mutant dogs get sent out in the end. To force a conflict that ends the games. That spoiler of haymitch is the best case scenario.

Actually hiding is fairly accepted. Besides Peeta there were the morphlings from District 6 who apparently won their games by hiding until everyone else died. Haymitch got punished because he did something the Capital didn't expect that they thought made them look foolish (using their force-field as a weapon), not because he was uninteresting or won by default.

Guess its potluck though since the game-makers will absolutely force you into action or outright kill you if the rest of the tributes aren't providing any action.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Splicer posted:

There's a kraft macaroni and cheese advertisement referencing this. It's a pretty mainstream joke.

Yeah, the thing is the joke is about drug use or addiction. The Kraft dinner variation works because they're making the joke that Kraft dinner is addictive (and the father is an addict). The cabin in the woods version of it is literally just them saying the words and hoping people laugh at it without the actual context for it. She's addicted to being smart or studying! Hey do you guys remember that stupid commercial? Here! They said the words! It's your cue to laugh! Ha-ha!

Mr. Beefhead posted:

At least Suckerpunch was cohesive and a dumb looking action flick that was accessible by everyone. It was poo poo with a poo poo story but it had high production values of women in their underwear fighting nazi monsters videogame style. The characters were dumb stereotypes but they at least tried to have some sort of emotions. Scott pilgrim spent the first half of the movie using book 1 material and crammed the remaining volumes worth of story into the second half of the movie, cutting out most of the best visual gags or character interactions so they could cram the dumb fights in over plot. They should have just chosen to either go all the way into suckerpunch territory or actually focus on the characters; by trying to do both they ended up doing nothing worth watching to me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yeah, the thing is the joke is about drug use or addiction. The Kraft dinner variation works because they're making the joke that Kraft dinner is addictive (and the father is an addict). The cabin in the woods version of it is literally just them saying the words and hoping people laugh at it without the actual context for it. She's addicted to being smart or studying! Hey do you guys remember that stupid commercial? Here! They said the words! It's your cue to laugh! Ha-ha!
The point of that scene is not to make you laugh, it's a slice-of-life scene designed to show that "the jock" and "the dumb blonde" are actually both pretty intelligent college kids. They could have done this by having the two of them walk in, stare dead-eyed at the camera and intone "we are both intelligent people and enjoy books," but for some unknowable reason they chose to have them joking around with a bit of goofy couples humour instead.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Dec 12, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I had almost no problems with Scott Pilgrim, I found nothing wrong Cera in the role, but I do sort of wonder if the audience reaction would have been better with someone like Anton Yelchin in the spot, instead.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

At least Suckerpunch was cohesive...

This statement alone makes you wrong, I've never seen a mishmash of random poo poo happening that is quite as confusing as Suckerpunch. It's basically jack off material written by a hyperactive 13 year old that tries to make it meaningful by having the inciting incident be sexual abuse.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah, the thing is the joke is about drug use or addiction. The Kraft dinner variation works because they're making the joke that Kraft dinner is addictive (and the father is an addict).

And the Cabin in the Woods version works because they are making the joke that studying/reading books in college is shameful and shocking behavior, like drug use. It's a fairly simple joke.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Splicer posted:

If you happen to be in the US, sure. And of the age where you would have seen that particular PSA on TV (or wherever they show PSAs in the US :shrug:)

Of course, watching a lot foreign media you get good at spotting what is meant to be a reference and just let it go because, odds are, you'll never find the original source. Thankfully it's very rare that these little cultural in-jokes have any bearing on the overall plot. They're just flavour. Taken in contest you can usually work out their meaning.

Not that you still can't get confused, of course. Sometimes you come across a reference of a bit of slang that looks very similar to something from you own experiences but means something totally different.

The infamous "What is this, the local?" is one example I can think of off the top of my head. In the US, specifically New York it apparently refers to a type of train that stops at every station. In Australia, "the local" would refer to your local pub.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

It's the exact same joke, beat for beat. Why is it upsetting you so much?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

LeafyOrb posted:

This statement alone makes you wrong, I've never seen a mishmash of random poo poo happening that is quite as confusing as Suckerpunch. It's basically jack off material written by a hyperactive 13 year old that tries to make it meaningful by having the inciting incident be sexual abuse.

Seriously. Sucker punch is one if the worst movies I've ever seen. I don't know how anyone could suggest that any movie should be more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gorilla Salad posted:

If you happen to be in the US, sure. And of the age where you would have seen that particular PSA on TV (or wherever they show PSAs in the US :shrug:)
I do not live in the US and until this thread, had never actually seen the ad itself. However I've seen enough references to it in every form of media possible that I still got the joke while watching the film, and also got the poin of the scene.

• Locked thread