Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coathat posted:

Do you know that inter library loans are a thing? Just talk to the librarian and you can get almost any book.

You shouldn't steal licensed manga.

quote:

Oda has said he doesn't care if people download it precisely because it's such a long series and that's the most effective way to get caught up. At one point, the official JP site had a shitload of it up, for free, legally.

Who gives a gently caress, is what I'm saying.

Dude I work in a comic book store. Me having a paycheck depends on people buying this poo poo instead of stealing it.

I am less mad abotu people downloading comics than you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Scans suck dude. You shouldn't read poo poo rear end translations covered in watermarks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coathat posted:

Scans suck dude. You shouldn't read poo poo rear end translations covered in watermarks.

I agree, that's why I read decent translations that either don't have watermarks or are unobtrusive.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In my case, scanlations are the only way to read manga since there's no way to get it on Mexico. And watermarks aren't a big deal anyway.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure you can buy things in Mexico.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coathat posted:

I'm pretty sure you can buy things in Mexico.

Not everything is available everywhere. Manga and anime are notoriously hard to get in Mexico and South America because most things aren't licensed there. You have no idea what you're even talking about anymore. Just shut up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
coathat you are not wrong but it sure becomes tiresome when you trawl every thread in ADTRW looking for the chance to flash your moral police badge.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Sorry.

But people should really buy the manga they like. It's way better than reading scans.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Literally The Worst posted:

Not everything is available everywhere. Manga and anime are notoriously hard to get in Mexico and South America because most things aren't licensed there. You have no idea what you're even talking about anymore. Just shut up.

To be fair, Anime is hilariously easy to get in here (but for less than legal means) and you can get some volumes of the more famous series if you got the money but good luck if you want the whole series. I've spent months trying to get GTO:14 Days on Shonan, and I've just found the first issue.

coathat
May 21, 2007

ONE's main manga Mob Psycho 100 has got a new chapter. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210384/mob-psycho-100_v1_ch6_by_nerieru-scans/1

This is the best cult.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I appreciate all of the suggestions. A few I've read (and I actually like Tower of God but can see what you mean by the weird gender issues), a few I read some of but left off on and might as well resume, and the rest I haven't read yet.

Also, that cult in Mob Psycho 100 is indeed hilariously awesome.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Another day another chapter of Mob Psycho 100. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210521/mob-psycho-100_v1_ch7_by_nerieru-scans

What do y'all think is gonna happen when he hits 100%?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

There's a new comic called Iron Knight out. It doesn't really feel like it's trying to go for any gimmicky wow factor, but I feel like it may be a contender for part of the next big three.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

pandaK posted:

There's a new comic called Iron Knight out. It doesn't really feel like it's trying to go for any gimmicky wow factor, but I feel like it may be a contender for part of the next big three.

Hot drat. Thanks for linking this. Did you check out the One Shot version too? That got real dark. It definitely seems like it'll be worth following for a while, I want to see where it goes from there.

EDIT: Or at least see how long it goes until he finds the human resistance holed up trying to preserve their old lives... in High School.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's pretty hilarious how much darker the oneshot is than the SJ serialization.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sindai posted:

It's pretty hilarious how much darker the oneshot is than the SJ serialization.

I dunno, the goblins walking through town with human corpses on pikes is pretty gruesome.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I finally got all the way through Iris Zero and it's pretty great. It's a lot like Hyouka but with magic eyes.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Sindai posted:

I finally got all the way through Iris Zero and it's pretty great. It's a lot like Hyouka but with magic eyes.

Because of the Hyouka comparison, I took a look at the first chapter and ended up blazing through the rest. I like its (mostly) low-key tone.

Good thing that the series resumed publication a few months ago - I don't think I could have handled the year and a half hiatus if I found it beforehand.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nondevor posted:

Because of the Hyouka comparison, I took a look at the first chapter and ended up blazing through the rest. I like its (mostly) low-key tone.

Good thing that the series resumed publication a few months ago - I don't think I could have handled the year and a half hiatus if I found it beforehand.

Yeah. It was kinda rough to say the least.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gonna throw in a recommendation for Akame ga Kill in here. Really dark for a shonen series(kinda gory), it's pretty funny sometimes and has some great action. Only issues I have with it are the occasional fanservice and that it likes to introduce characters only to horribly murder them half a chapter later(this is just kind of annoying, not bad though).

It's being released monthly.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
First chapter of elDLIVE (Reborn Mangaka's new work) is up and it's clear why it took so long to get it translated; It's in full color.

Looks good but drat if this doesn't feel rushed in spite of being over 50 pages.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Nondevor posted:

Exactly my thoughts. I'll read anything that's compared to Hyouka.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

pandaK posted:

It almost hurts how much better the oneshot is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

gobbledygoat posted:

To be fair, the series has only started and will have to cover that ground again (If they even go the way the short did). Now if it gets the Jump short shrift then yes, that'd be an accurate assessment.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RatHat posted:

Gonna throw in a recommendation for Akame ga Kill in here. Really dark for a shonen series(kinda gory), it's pretty funny sometimes and has some great action. Only issues I have with it are the occasional fanservice and that it likes to introduce characters only to horribly murder them half a chapter later(this is just kind of annoying, not bad though).

It's being released monthly.

I'll second this- tentatively. It is ridiculously gorny, as in, I'm pretty sure Wolfsmund is still worse (haven't read Wolfsmund), but the fact that I even feel the need to draw the comparison should speak volumes. It is a passable shounen story, though, and the action is pretty great. Plus, when this manga says "anyone can die", it means anyone. If the main love interest got smeared along a wall next chapter I wouldn't even bat an eyelid.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Whoa, looks like someone's been reading Battle Angel Alita

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

gobbledygoat posted:

However, a mute character can't really carry a shounen fighting manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 11, 2013

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gobbledygoat posted:

I didn't read the one-shot until seeing this, and you're definitely right. The main character is a hell of a lot cooler in the one-shot. In the "chapter 1" he's more of a "I want to protect everyone for justice!" typical shounen hero, while he's a lot more interesting/"tough" in the one-shot.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I enjoyed the first chapter more than the one shot :confused:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Koe No Katachi 18

I like Shouya's character arc, pretty realistic given the circunstances. Nishimiya keeps being adorable as hell and the ending was a literal :catstare:

I love this series :haw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

There's an actual sound effect for "Silken"!! The Japanese language is amazing!

EDIT: My expression when seeing something really REAAALLLLY ~:japan:ANIME:japan:~

EDIT2: Hell, I think I might get this for a new avatar!

Hmm.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 11, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't read the one-shot until seeing this, and you're definitely right. The main character is a hell of a lot cooler in the one-shot. In the "chapter 1" he's more of a "I want to protect everyone for justice!" typical shounen hero, while he's a lot more interesting/"tough" in the one-shot.

No reason he can't become that in the series too, it's just that one-shots tend to have a lot more character development since they aren't expecting more chapters.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Koe No Katachi 18

I like Shouya's character arc, pretty realistic given the circunstances. Nishimiya keeps being adorable as hell and the ending was a literal :catstare:

I love this series :haw:

God the next chapter can't get here fast enough because I can't wait to see what Ueno's deal is. Those aren't the face and actions of a happy person.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

DrSunshine posted:

There's an actual sound effect for "Silken"!! The Japanese language is amazing!

:eng101: In addition to the normal ones, there's pretty much a whole 'nother lexicon of sound effects for things that don't actually make sounds. Amazing is one word for it :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Suben posted:

God the next chapter can't get here fast enough because I can't wait to see what Ueno's deal is. Those aren't the face and actions of a happy person.

I think that maybe she's just a quirky person and is really good at deadpan.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

DrSunshine posted:

I think that maybe she's just a quirky person and is really good at deadpan.
God knows that describes me. I actually own a pair of cat ears and a tail and I'm now sorely tempted to do something similar. But honestly, it wouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone that knew me.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 11, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kaja Rainbow posted:

God knows that describes me. I actually own a pair of cat ears and a tail and I'm now sorely tempted to do something similar. But honestly, it wouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone that knew me.

Oh no, you've gotta do it to someone out on the street. Like if someone accosts you and tries to get you to donate money to their cause or something.

Just be all like :geno: "Meow."

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

DrSunshine posted:

Oh no, you've gotta do it to someone out on the street. Like if someone accosts you and tries to get you to donate money to their cause or something.

Just be all like :geno: "Meow."
I'll keep that in mind if I ever want to surprise someone in that fashion. :geno: Though I wouldn't really know what they were saying since I'm deaf myself (and incidentally, I consider Nishimiya a well-done deaf character--there're touches that indicate the author's done their research).

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I couldn't even get past the first chapter. But to make this a little more relevant, does anyone have recommendations for decent shounen that has good treatment of its female characters? I'm not really looking for the usual fanservice and/or harem fare, and I prefer series where the female characters actually get to do interesting stuff.

EDIT: Some example of shounen series I really liked include Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi, Sengoku Youko, Record of Fallen Vampire, Koe no Katachi...

Psyren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I couldn't even get past the first chapter. But to make this a little more relevant, does anyone have recommendations for decent shounen that has good treatment of its female characters? I'm not really looking for the usual fanservice and/or harem fare, and I prefer series where the female characters actually get to do interesting stuff.

EDIT: Some example of shounen series I really liked include Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi, Sengoku Youko, Record of Fallen Vampire, Koe no Katachi...

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.