Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Denzine posted:

Jumping spiders are adorable :colbert:
Also the one in his av isn't even the size of a dime, you are literally thousands of times bigger than it is. But not this one. You're only hundreds of times bigger than that one.

I am not clicking those links. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
I managed to find an item in a tech chest that crashes Starbound every time I mouseover it. I also managed to shift-click it before the crash so now its probably stuck in my inventory forever. I tried to check the game assets and player files to figure out what it was, but I couldn't find it in the assets and that hexadecimal player file is too much for me to comprehend.

Its the weird space gun with the blue border in the second row. I assume its a randomly generated pistol?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DanrewS posted:

My Starbound just started patching, 581.4 MB.
Are there patch notes anywhere?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

It's coming along nicely, nearly done with the shipblocks.png now that I figured out how to spawn in other types of blocks. I'm working on the various ship graphics bits, but I'm no artist so I may just end up reusing existing game assets. The plus side is that right now, it's completely MP compatible as it uses no external assets. I'll probably release a version that's fully MP compatible, and then if I ever finish the graphics I can release that later on. But now that the patch is out, it's time to swarm like locusts.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Not that I know of, but after playing they clearly fixed the crafted weapons and boy did they "fix" them hard.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Vib Rib posted:

Really need to get him using the steam patchnotes/updates publish feature. He doesn't seem to currently?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
People complaining about fuel: Dig down. I went to the core of a small moon and left with almost 300 pieces of uranium ore. I'm never going to have to dig coal again.

It's ridiculous how much ore you can find at the core now.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Holepunchio posted:

Its the weird space gun with the blue border in the second row. I assume its a randomly generated pistol?

It's the bubble gun, and it is kinda broken atm. I'll check if it can be fixed.

Edit: For a quick hacky fix, go to assets\items\guns\brainextractor\, copy brainextractor.gun, go to guns\bubblegun\, delete bubblegun.gun, paste brainextractor.gun and rename it bubblegun.gun

This'll make it work like brain extractor, but it won't crash your game.

gun.gun.gun.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 11, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Vib Rib posted:

"Unconfirmed" but I haven't seen anyone say they aren't legit.

quote:

Changelog for v. Frustrated Koala 10/12/2013

Hi guys, so last night we pushed the major balance update. We'd tested it for hours and at the last minute a bug crept in that broke crafted weapon damage, making them crazy overpowered.

Hence the name of this version.

That's been fixed. It was an interesting bug. The old leveling system used a "level" specified in each swords configuration file. The new system no longer uses "level", instead each sword is hand balanced. The bug that crept in at the last moment reenabled "level". Given that they are now unused, levels weren't changed from their previous values that went all the way up to level 100, and now that the game is leveled up to 10, they were massively too powerful.

Also..

Uranium, plutonium and solarium now work as fuels
You can now REALLY craft a grappling hook
Boss balance has been tightened even more
Platinum armor is now unlocked on tier 5
You can now 'recapture' pets
some more fixes

More coming really soon!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Leadthumb posted:

How about if your ship is broken and you have to craft a big repair ship engines thing? Then you can travel all you want, and quests to upgrade the engines allow access to harder sectors. That way there is still a cost to progress, but it's in the form of a big up front payments, instead of taxing you all game to travel.

I'd definitely be down for that mod. I don't have anything against the fuel system, but what you describe seems to be how it's designed right now anyway. As it is now, at the start of the game, you can't travel, but then you quickly get to a point where it's trivial to get enough fuel to travel anywhere.

The "starmap upgrades" could even be changed to engine upgrades, somehow or another.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What pets? I haven't seen any talk of pets in this thread or maybe I missed it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Why are the patches always so huge? :(

I wonder if McDonald's will mind me borrowing their Wi-Fi a couple hours...

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

GreenMarine posted:

What pets? I haven't seen any talk of pets in this thread or maybe I missed it.

At T3 you unlock the ability to craft pokeballs which you can capture/tame enemies with.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Oh cool, our weapons are retrofittedly fixed.

DoktorSandvich
May 15, 2011

Revol posted:

"Unconfirmed" but I haven't seen anyone say they aren't legit.

Frustrated Koala is the patch version now, so it looks like that might be it, I saw those notes before the patch on reddit.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1sk67s/modders_stop_overwriting_assets_in_the_default/ not sure if folks saw this, but I did see a lot of specific assets being overwritten and apparently starbound allows you to apply mods.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What? This post reads like a total non-sequitur. What does it have to do with my comments? Why does me disliking how long it takes to gather the coal necessary for system jumping make me some ADD weirdo who doesn't explore planets? Maybe you misunderstood what I meant by "planet hop" but even if you intend to spend time on a planet, it simply takes a whole lot more time to gather fuel than it did before and it doesn't really matter how you played.

Except that it doesn't take long to get the coal at all. The only reason you wouldn't have enough coal to get to the next planet is if you literally don't go below the surface and only pick up the coal you see there. It's an incentive to get you to actually go underground, and if you just pick up the coal you see on the way while exploring even slightly under the surface, it's not a problem to get to the next planet.

If the game is entirely about "planet hopping" then why did they bother putting in any blocks beneath surface? Most of the things to do on a planet exist below the surface, so why would they bother making it? Making wood not a fuel is fairly obviously a way to incentivize going below the surface, and in so doing you'll see much more of their game than the 10% of it that will exist above the ground. It's not OCD to walk down a tunnel, and it's not ADD to want to get to the next planet, but it's really not the massive timesink you guys are making it out to be, and honestly the only part that makes it a time sink is the amount of time it takes to break blocks with a pickax, which I do agree should be quicker (and can be easily modded to be so). They also added more things underground to do, so it's really loving obvious where they're headed with these changes. The devs want you to go underground, and you're complaining because you have to go underground.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, anyone have thoughts on why the Steam Overlay refuses to work for myself and a very select few others when the game itself runs flawlessly?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Haha, whoa. all of my non-crafted weapons are not even 5% as strong as they were. Well, at least I wont be one shotting everything.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also, Snow Infantry armor is now the weaker option, like they always said it would be, but provides a lot of warmth as trade-off. It's no longer just better than iron in every way.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I didn't notice it in the OP: You can hold left ALT to show the names of the players, your hunger meter and highlight every usable thing on the screen.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DanrewS posted:

Not that I know of, but after playing they clearly fixed the crafted weapons and boy did they "fix" them hard.
The 20 Iron bar 2-Hand sword is worse than my Starting Sword :psyduck:

Lightning beam spitting ground wildlife still takes off 4 bars per hit health in one shot (Edit: With copper armor), and bird corpses still hurt if they touch you. Shields still don't help.

I just want to hurt the spawn world wildlife at least SLIGHTLY more than it hurts me with the best items I can craft before taking out a UFO, is that so much to ask?

EDIT: Oh hey, the hunting knife is TWO handed now. Not that shields make a difference at the moment, but still. What?

:qq: Is the next patch going to be nerfing the starting weapon to 2 damage per swing, so your Iron Crafted weapons have any comparative reason to exist? :qq: :qq: :qq:

I know, I know, Beta. Eventually (probably within the week) things will be better. But drat it this isn't a downer in the here and now.

vvv One of the few pleasant notes I've found about this update, Digging through cobblestones with a Stone Pickaxe is faster (by about 3 pickaxe noises worth) than it used to be even with a copper pickaxe. So digging through rocks has at least gone from "gently caress getting those two pieces of ore within flashlight distance" to being willing to dig through rocks for stuff or to shape it, unless it's like, Rock as far as the eye can see and nothing of note is known to be deeper.

EDIT Two: Wait, no. Now it's back to way more than 13 click noises even with a copper pickaxe :sigh: around 22 for stone, and same pre initial update 15/16 noises for copper.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 11, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Refilling your tank with coal takes a hell of a lot longer than refilling it with wood, I don't understand why this is controversial or somehow not immediately evident to people. Were you trying to cut down trees with the matter manipulator or something?

That said making digging through hard materials much faster or just cutting the amount of fuel needed to travel from system to system would be fine solutions too.

EDIT: Seriously I don't understand how you take a game where THE fundamental core mechanic is "digging" and then make digging so tedious and unenjoyable.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 11, 2013

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Verranicus posted:

So, anyone have thoughts on why the Steam Overlay refuses to work for myself and a very select few others when the game itself runs flawlessly?

Do you run anything else that hooks into games and could cause interference i.e. Mumble's overlay, etc? Try disabling those and see if it solves the problem, if it does then add Starbound to your exceptions list for that program. Also make sure you actually have the game set to use the overlay by right-clicking the game in your library and going to properties.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
They might have had to "break" our current items to at least prevent a wipe. I'll try getting more random drops and see if they are as bad as my items. Seriously, my 200 damage per swing spear is now 10 damage per swing.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I've been seeing uranium show up on T1/T2 planets so I'm fine with that as a solution as well. Assuming uranium is still yielding 4 fuel/ore.

Just keep your jumps either in system or interplanetary if you can. Do the big 200 fuel jumps only when you need a completely fresh area.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Looks like flying monsters are still broken.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Revol posted:

Looks like flying monsters are still broken.

Yeah I have full steel armor and I am getting 1 shot by flying mobs, that balance patch seems to have "balanced" the game.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Bauxite posted:

The devs want you to go underground, and you're complaining because you have to go underground.

This is a good summary.

Space travel was very, very easy before. So easy that the developers either had to make space travel completely free (eliminating pointless busywork), or make it more restrictive to guide player behaviour.

I like that taking time to carefully choose which planets and systems to travel to is rewarded. Our group tends to go to systems with large numbers of planets and moons; but with the current ore density you really only need one planet to go up several tiers.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Falcon2001 posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1sk67s/modders_stop_overwriting_assets_in_the_default/ not sure if folks saw this, but I did see a lot of specific assets being overwritten and apparently starbound allows you to apply mods.

A lot of things you need to mod still absolutely require editing the base assets though. Adding a race requires you to modify player.config, which you can't really add to in that way.

Until we get a full API, or starbound does more dynamic loading of directories, mods are gonna have to edit some of the base assets. It sucks but we're stuck with it.

Still beats minecraft.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

something posted:

Just keep your jumps either in system or interplanetary if you can. Do the big 200 fuel jumps only when you need a completely fresh area.

Yeah, don't go exploring the stars in Starbound, that's silly.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

DanrewS posted:

It was around 780MB if I remember correctly, plus/minus a little bit from that size.

Traxis posted:

I think it is about 750 MB

Thanks. I might wait a few days then.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, don't go exploring the stars in Starbound, that's silly.

You can explore a hell of a lot of planets without making each jump the giant ones. They're just as varied, too!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Anyone know if this patch made armor do anything?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone else play Hyotls? Is it because they're Japanese Fishpeople?

^^^the Leather armor isn't the best armor now, it's comparable to your race armor (Iron)^^^

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

More misc. beta feedback:

-Fall damage is still determined by airtime and not velocity.

From a ways back, but how did you find out about this? Before the combat patch, I saw someone kill themselves using a bungie-grapple-rope thing by stretching it around a few walls and slingshotting themselves into the floor. They fell only one or two blocks farther than a single jump, but still took 100 damage and died instantly. It blew my mind because it made me realize that the fall damage system really was speed based rather than distance or time based.

Though maybe the changes to fall damage in the recent patch broke that.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I think we need to whip up a mod that disables spawning of flying monsters. It's not like they are really contributing to the game right now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DanrewS posted:

Yeah I have full steel armor and I am getting 1 shot by flying mobs, that balance patch seems to have "balanced" the game.
Armor is still broken and doesn't increase defense.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
The new patch requires an "server account" and "server password" when joining a server, now. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the server account aspect.

E: Account not necessary, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Do you run anything else that hooks into games and could cause interference i.e. Mumble's overlay, etc? Try disabling those and see if it solves the problem, if it does then add Starbound to your exceptions list for that program. Also make sure you actually have the game set to use the overlay by right-clicking the game in your library and going to properties.

No dice. I don't use mumbles overlay, and the Steam overlay is enabled.

• Locked thread