Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PCOS Bill posted:

In early 2012 you bought a MY2010 car. That's pretty much a new car, not an older car, man. My newest car is a 2005, and that's still a pretty new car.

That's almost, if not, a ten year old car - definitely not pretty new. It's 2014 (pretty much), dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I drive a 2003 and I'm still in love with windows that work with a button when you consider my vehicle history.

:corsair:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I thought my 2000 was a nice new car when I got it... Had things like air bags, ABS, and a CD player. But now it's broken, so I'm driving my 89 again. Thing refuses to die.

I also miss summer, and boats, and stuff.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

anonumos posted:

I did pay a premium, but I really needed to get out from under that 18% loan.

If only there was some way to get someone, like maybe another bank or even a credit union, to loan you money with a lower APR without buying a new car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bovril Delight posted:

If only there was some way to get someone, like maybe another bank or even a credit union, to loan you money with a lower APR without buying a new car.

Yes but that would only be considered automotive practicality which is not what this forum is for.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
It may not be the best deal in the world but he got a brand new car with the full warranty (his pre-owned Hyundai wouldn’t have had the full 10yr/100k warranty (doesn't transfer to a second owner) only the 5yr/60k bumper to bumper one) and was able to lower his apr by a significant amount. Also as he said the 2013 is a much improved car over the 2010, it’s a completely different generation of Elantra. With the way the two Korean brands have been updating their lineups a few years really can make a big difference in customer satisfaction.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kill me now posted:

It may not be the best deal in the world but he got a brand new car with the full warranty (his pre-owned Hyundai wouldn’t have had the full 10yr/100k warranty (doesn't transfer to a second owner) only the 5yr/60k bumper to bumper one) and was able to lower his apr by a significant amount. Also as he said the 2013 is a much improved car over the 2010, it’s a completely different generation of Elantra. With the way the two Korean brands have been updating their lineups a few years really can make a big difference in customer satisfaction.

No poo poo? That's how they have such a good warranty claim then. I doubt most people even keep the car that long.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Larrymer posted:

No poo poo? That's how they have such a good warranty claim then. I doubt most people even keep the car that long.

Well, you still have the 5yr/60k bumper to bumper and if you get it CPO'd you can regain the 10/100 powertrain for a second owner. Its still a great warranty program and far better than most other brands.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BlackMK4 posted:

That's almost, if not, a ten year old car - definitely not pretty new. It's 2014 (pretty much), dude.

I may also be in denial that 2005 was so long ago, and that I'm getting old.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
horrible angle potato-phone pic will have to do, but I got this today.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Devyl posted:

horrible angle potato-phone pic will have to do, but I got this today.

What year/any work? Looks real good.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
From a sunnier time...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

anonumos posted:

A little over a year and a half ago I bought a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue with 24k miles on it. I was suitably impressed, though it was an older car. But because my credit was so crappy, I wound up with an 18% interest loan. In the time since, I've had to have the engine replaced because it blew the main crankshaft seal (under warranty thank God) and the steering rack (also under warranty). I also found that the tires were almost worn through and the brakes were bad. But all-in-all, I liked it. The quality was a huge leap above the 2000's models. My only real complaint was the Blue's odd gearing in the transmission, which often left me in between gears in normal traffic. Good gas mileage, too, until the tires and breaks reared their ugly heads.

Fast forward to last weekend, when I pulled my credit reports and found that my scores had increased a whopping 200 points. Figuring it was time to get out from under the lovely loan, I stopped by to talk to my friendly salesman at the dealership where I bought the Blue. At first, I was simply there to discuss the 2013 leftovers and the new 2014s. I had my heart set on the 200hp Veloster Turbo, but it proved to be out of reach (considering how far upside down I still was on the Blue). However, there was a beautiful desert bronze Elantra with the 6 speed transmission, with loads of cash incentives and a low enough sticker price to make it worth the trade in. Because of the improvement in my credit, I even got a 4.99% interest rate!

Well, without further ado, here's my brand new baby. Hyundai definitely has some of the best looking entry-level cars on the market today.

Nice. I've written a couple posts raving about the new Elantras. Will likely have one in my garage next year to replace my wife's '08 Focus.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Got accused of trying to recreate a Coca-Cola commercial or something last night. With the Rover dead with water pump issues I needed to get the tree home somehow and it wasn't going on/in my wife's Golf R. We got just a few looks on the way home. I guess people aren't used to seeing a tree strapped to a 50+ year old ride. :cool:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
reminds me of LobsterboyX when he did it with his buick ( I Might be wrong about that). Reminds me of Christmas story even though your car and that one are years apart. still pretty cool.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Bob NewSCART posted:

What year/any work? Looks real good.

It's an '06 with the 6 speed manual and the revup motor. All stock. It was like finding a needle in a haystack for a g35 with a manual around here. Runs really well and pulls amazingly strong for what it is.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

SouthsideSaint posted:

reminds me of LobsterboyX when he did it with his buick ( I Might be wrong about that). Reminds me of Christmas story even though your car and that one are years apart. still pretty cool.

I didn't mind throwing it on the top as it's a little long in the tooth with a couple tears and the vinyl needs replacing. The mechanics all work though. It's a ballet of electric motors, hydraulic pistons, mechanical relays, and switches. In other words, a nightmare of wiring and high pressure hoses. I should take a video of it for y'all to see it in action. It is quite fascinating to watch it all happen and realize when it was designed there were no computers to help coordinate the action.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
please do. For some reason old car technology is fascinating. I got to mess around with my teachers stingray in school and it had vacuum windows I think. crazy stuff.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Kill-9 posted:

Got accused of trying to recreate a Coca-Cola commercial or something last night. With the Rover dead with water pump issues I needed to get the tree home somehow and it wasn't going on/in my wife's Golf R. We got just a few looks on the way home. I guess people aren't used to seeing a tree strapped to a 50+ year old ride. :cool:

Man, I remember when my mother did this years ago in her Vauxhall Zafira. Failed to put a towel over the roof, and got sap all over it. Whoops.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
18% is an absurd rate to be charged for a car loan. If you hear a number like that, walk.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Das Volk posted:

18% is an absurd rate to be charged for a car loan. If you hear a number like that, walk.

Some people cant even open bank accounts or cash checks, so this doesn't surprise me that much.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
I just downgraded from this:

2011 Ford S-Max Titanium X Sport with 240bhp to this:

1998 Peugeot 2.1 turbodiesel with 59,000 miles

At least I'll get better fuel economy...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Roads are too salty to drive it now but I can dream about summer, right?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

You should use the downtime and clear-coat the truck.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Ive thought about it but Ive seen it in person and it looks like rear end. Im just gonna paint it eventually when I get bored with the patina.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I just downgraded from this:

2011 Ford S-Max Titanium X Sport with 240bhp to this:

1998 Peugeot 2.1 turbodiesel with 59,000 miles

At least I'll get better fuel economy...

Any particular reason for replacing the Ford with an older car?

The 406 is a stout car, and the 2.1 TD is an extremely stout engine, if a little unrefined and agricultural. But that's a 15-year-old car, I figure it's gotta be more expensive on maintenance than a new-ish Ford.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

Any particular reason for replacing the Ford with an older car?

The 406 is a stout car, and the 2.1 TD is an extremely stout engine, if a little unrefined and agricultural. But that's a 15-year-old car, I figure it's gotta be more expensive on maintenance than a new-ish Ford.

It's a post-marital thing. The Ford is essentially leased, and not in my name. Hence, it has to go back. I needed something that was cheap to buy and (hopefully) cheap to run for the next year while I do some serious saving. Plus it'll teach me something about car maintenance, having only driven leased vehicles for the last 10 years.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pi Mu Rho posted:

It's a post-marital thing. The Ford is essentially leased, and not in my name. Hence, it has to go back. I needed something that was cheap to buy and (hopefully) cheap to run for the next year while I do some serious saving. Plus it'll teach me something about car maintenance, having only driven leased vehicles for the last 10 years.

Ah ok, makes sense.

For maintenance on a 406, you've made a good choice in that they really don't rust much, the only real weak spots are the sills. But if it's been waxoyled and the drains have been kept clear, it should be fine. Mine is 13 years old now and is still rust-free.

A good bit of preventative maintenance is to replace any broken clips in the bottom rubber door seal. People tend to kick them when they get in and out of the car, the clips break easily and leave a hole that will let water enter the sills. The clips are cheap and easily available, I bought a big bag of them on eBay for next to nothing.

Other things to be aware of are worn rubber bits in the suspension, especially in the rear. The fancy 4-link suspension setup is comfortable and handles well, but has a bunch of rubber bits to wear out. Same goes for the sway bar drop links, they are probably worn if your suspension clunks when going over bumps. But on the whole, the mechanicals are solid as long as a normal maintenance schedule is kept.

Another issue that you may run into is the speedo dipping to zero. That's either the speed sensor on the gearbox or the control box for said sensor. Costs about £60 and should only ever need to be replaced once. If your whole gauge cluster seems to "reboot" once in a while, you may have bad solder joints in the cluster. Best fix is to either replace it, or get an electronics guy to reflow any questionable solder joints.

If you can catch Sir Cornelious, I'm sure he'll have even more input :)

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I have a whole mess of E34s!

Here's my DD 530i with my new project (moneysink) in the foreground! The Touring surely has a blown head gasket and probably a bad alternator and water pump too.

And then there's the front yard of my home that I own free and clear but my god does home ownership suck when you take it on right before the biggest freeze that Oregon has experienced in years. Fortunately it is a poor neighborhood and so far nobody cares that my front yard looks like a Pick-n-Pull. This is my 530i in the foreground with my 535i that I've already mostly stripped on the right and my 540i with a transmission that only works in 4th and reverse on the left.

Thread incoming soon. I have 4 E34s, all with different engines. This isn't Automotive Sanity at all!

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

Ah ok, makes sense.

If you can catch Sir Cornelious, I'm sure he'll have even more input :)

Thanks for that, it's useful. The driver's side door seal is a bit loose (and I kicked it getting in and out) so I'll sort that. Also, the speedo is stuck happily on zero, so I'll look into getting that fixed too. Fun times ahead...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Thanks for that, it's useful. The driver's side door seal is a bit loose (and I kicked it getting in and out) so I'll sort that. Also, the speedo is stuck happily on zero, so I'll look into getting that fixed too. Fun times ahead...

When you get the speedo fixed, you may find that the car seems slightly faster afterwards. The ECU reduces engine output if it thinks the car isn't moving.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Kill-9 posted:

Well thats one way. We've used another:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The only good thing about snow :shobon:

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Thought I'd do a video of the Eisenmann exhaust on my car.

Oddly, it doesn't sound as loud in the video as it does in person - guess the GoPro must have been mounted at a bad angle for the microphone or something.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

GazChap posted:

Thought I'd do a video of the Eisenmann exhaust on my car.

Oddly, it doesn't sound as loud in the video as it does in person - guess the GoPro must have been mounted at a bad angle for the microphone or something.

Theres not such thing as a good angle for a gopro microphone. They've spent years developing sound that lovely.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

D C posted:

Theres not such thing as a good angle for a gopro microphone. They've spent years developing sound that lovely.

Ah, the Creative Labs method...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

D C posted:

Uh not sure why GoPros even need mics because you're supposed to put dubstep on every vid. :confused:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Uh not sure why GoPros even need mics because you're supposed to put dubstep on every vid. :confused:

Or Sail. It's always Sail.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Previa_fun posted:

Or Sail. It's always Sail.

Listen here buddy if you have a problem with Sail I have a problem with you :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
x-post from the BMW thread:

Babbys first set of 3pc BBSeseses