Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JayMax posted:

That was before the "Sara's alive" reveal, though, right?

No. It was part of the Sara's alive reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
God damnit. There's no way Caity's making it through this season alive then. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She has to at least appear to die, yeah. There's not really anything else that can give that push.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
So next week is the last one before a holiday break, right? Anyone know when it starts back up? There's no date on IMDB.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trivial Fursuit posted:

So next week is the last one before a holiday break, right? Anyone know when it starts back up? There's no date on IMDB.

Just over a month. January 15th.

vvv One episode of Supernatural only showed the title card at the end of the episode. It wasn't random or anything, it fit the story. It was pretty funny. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 10, 2013

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Kind of an odd thing to comment on, but this show has some of the longest episode openings I've ever seen. Like, sometimes the title card doesn't show up until fifteen minutes in. :psyduck:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Krad posted:

God damnit. There's no way Caity's making it through this season alive then. :(

She can't just step back and retire? There are a few heroes who have stepped back and been replaced by new people under the same persona who aren't driven by the motive to avenge the person that wore the cape or whatever before them.

I dunno if that's too comic-y for this thread or this is: there have been other Robins for instance. And the Flash guy with the metal winged hat is still around right?

Maybe Laurel will just don the Canary outfit because shes frustrated with criminals getting away with stuff with lawyers and wants to stop the people failing her city and it becomes available.

Or do we HAVE to have death be a motivator for every hero because tv?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Blackchamber posted:

She can't just step back and retire?

A violent psychosis doesn't just...end.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Drifter posted:

A violent psychosis doesn't just...end.

^ This.

The only way she'll stop is if she fakes her death and runs away to protect her family from the League, or actual death. Either way, she'll end up being Laurel's Tommy.

Also, at least a couple of those Robins and Flashes died before the following ones took over.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

You guys keep referring to Sarah as Black Canary when she is only referred to as Canary. The little bird that landed on her raft was yellow. Laurel mentioned having a black one as a childhood pet. Not that I think this means we will get double team Canaries or anything like that, but it seems to be a major and intentional distinction the writers have made.

I just got my husband to start watching since S1 is up on Netflix. He keeps saying "Let's just play one more episode." I take that as high praise since the only DC property he ever cared about in any way was big screen Batman. Agents of Shield is so disappointingly dull it's driving Marvel fans to try the only good comic book show on television. :getin:

To circle back to Laurel Is Shitchat: it really struck me in the pilot how much her character has gone downhill. As much as I liked the dynamic between Laurel and Tommy that arc has put her in a narrative corner. The fact that she is too fragile to be told her sister is alive says to me she is too fragile to do anything I'd be interested in watching. Unless she found out and I missed it because I've started hearing a buzzing noise during her scenes. It's really a shame, too, because I liked Katie Cassidy on Supernatural. I know nobody here is too fond of Laurel's bitchy scenes, but those are the only ones where the actress seems to be enjoying herself a little (or awake) since Tommy got squished.

Other stuff from the pilot and first few episodes that seemed a little off at initial airing but now totally makes sense? Detective Lance seemed like an all over the place rear end in a top hat but now it's obvious he was just drunk. All the stuff where the police seem hilariously stupid makes perfect sense now that we know they're all corrupt as well as incompetent. The people who said that Amell took a few episodes to settle into the role were probably distracted by the crap wigs and beards. Which is fair because they are community college theatre production level bad.

The only thing that still came across badly in the first few episodes (other than the costume budget) is the necessary evil of clunky expository dialogue. "Tommy Merlin, my lifelong best friend, of course I will greet you with your full name because that sounds totally natural and not stilted!" Also the voiceovers, bleh. I hadn't realized at the time, but without Diggle being brought in we would probably still be enduring those.

Jesus, so many words. tl;dr Arrow just gets better on rewatch. Except for Laurel.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

BarbarousBertha posted:

You guys keep referring to Sarah as Black Canary when she is only referred to as Canary. The little bird that landed on her raft was yellow. Laurel mentioned having a black one as a childhood pet. Not that I think this means we will get double team Canaries or anything like that, but it seems to be a major and intentional distinction the writers have made.

And Green Arrow is known as "Arrow" only or "the Hood." It doesn't mean much. :v:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

God damnit. There's no way Caity's making it through this season alive then.

Its entirely possible Laurel gets inspired by something to be Black Canary, dies, and then Sara picks up the mantel afterwards. This fulfills the whole 'Laurel is Black Canary' fiat by the writers while still allowing for a more suitable actress in the role. I mean, originally it was her mom who was the Canary and the mantle was passed on (at least in one of the iterations of the character) so its not unprecedented.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

BarbarousBertha posted:

The people who said that Amell took a few episodes to settle into the role were probably distracted by the crap wigs and beards. Which is fair because they are community college theatre production level bad.

Its still nowhere near Dexter levels of how bad the wigs look. Maybe its from watching Dexter but I love the poo poo wigs because I find them so funny

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oracle posted:

Its entirely possible Laurel gets inspired by something to be Black Canary, dies, and then Sara picks up the mantel afterwards. This fulfills the whole 'Laurel is Black Canary' fiat by the writers while still allowing for a more suitable actress in the role. I mean, originally it was her mom who was the Canary and the mantle was passed on (at least in one of the iterations of the character) so its not unprecedented.

By the same fiat, they can just laugh and say, "We lied." It's a smaller chance, but it's still valid. If they're committed though, having Lotz's character fake her death and getting a stinger of her getting on a bus to Metropolis or something would be a good way of hedging themselves so that when Laurel bombs as the new Canary, they can kill off Laurel and, an episode or two later, have Sara show up again in a new costume to avenge her sister's death and officially join the team.

Or hell, not even have the stinger. Just make sure she doesn't die on camera.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It seems so weird that a, by all accounts pretty talented team of writers, would make a character as poor as Laurel and not fix it or anything.

Something has to be up with the planning. Even if they ARE going to make the character more interesting or something (:lol:) that they would have failed so badly in trying to create a tragic character is sad.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
I choose to believe that CW just mandated a ton of bullshit personal drama for the show and rather than tarnish every character with that, the writers just decided to lump it all into one character and pulled Katie Cassady's name out of a hat.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

It seems so weird that a, by all accounts pretty talented team of writers, would make a character as poor as Laurel and not fix it or anything.

Something has to be up with the planning. Even if they ARE going to make the character more interesting or something (:lol:) that they would have failed so badly in trying to create a tragic character is sad.

Sometimes a writers' room just can't get a handle on a character or come up with the same quality stories.

The TNG writers had a hell of a time coming up with good Troi stories.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dracorion posted:

I choose to believe that CW just mandated a ton of bullshit personal drama for the show and rather than tarnish every character with that, the writers just decided to lump it all into one character and pulled Katie Cassady's name out of a hat.

Eh, to be fair, everyone had their fair share of that in season 1. It's just season 2 where it's all on Laurel.

FEDIT: Another issue is that most other characters had positive things going for them while she largely doesn't, which is especially the case now.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 10, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Her being involved in the court case was a terrible decision all round. Besides the fact she even brought up the conflict of interests and it was ignored it has led to where the character is now

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scott Bakula posted:

Her being involved in the court case was a terrible decision all round. Besides the fact she even brought up the conflict of interests and it was ignored it has led to where the character is now

Haha, yeah. She was the longtime girlfriend of the son of the alleged mass murderess. That was such a stupid way to try and shoehorn into the plot, ESPECIALLY when her character was all gung ho about trying to convict her or whatever.

Like the other poster said, at least there's only one TERRIBLY lovely character instead of a whole bunch of kinda lovely characters.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm hoping they do a Landry-type thing and just pretend like all this lawyering never happened while giving her a new fresh setting to work out of. Something that will somehow lead to her being a you know, superhero.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hi liter posted:

I'm hoping they do a Landry-type thing and just pretend like all this lawyering never happened while giving her a new fresh setting to work out of. Something that will somehow lead to her being a you know, superhero.

"Laurel, why are you giving me pie, why aren't you at your law office?"

"What? I am at work, Ollie. I'm a part time waitress. I always have been a waitress. And a karate gymnast marine sniper."

*laurel turns to stare into the camera for several beats*
*cue Twilight Zone music*

"...always a waitress."

*screenwipe to a flock of canaries flying through the city*

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

"Laurel, why are you giving me pie, why aren't you at your law office?"

"What? I am at work, Ollie. I'm a part time waitress. I always have been a waitress. And a karate gymnast marine sniper."

*laurel turns to stare into the camera for several beats*
*cue Twilight Zone music*

"...always a waitress."

*screenwipe to a flock of canaries flying through the city*

Sure, why not? It's an improvement over the current situation.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Warmachine posted:

Sure, why not? It's an improvement over the current situation.

Maybe the League of Assassins will kinda shrug and think to themselves, "eh, one sister's as good as another," and kidnap and brainwash/hypnotrain Laurel and then Ollie and crew rescue her and now Laurel's all trained to be a ninja?

The Mancanarian Candidate. :v:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am the only person who likes Laurel but you guys are right the writers have no clue how to get her into the plot.

I think shifting her to the DA's office was kinda the move that stalled out her character. They could of found a way to have her hate the vigilante but still have her defending the poor. Hell, it would of been a great contrast to Moira, would of helped with the Councilor Blood plot, and a more lefty Ollie ultimately.

I think Laurel should probably be the emotional center and the person who is suppose to be the reason why being a normal good human being can be the best thing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am the only person who likes Laurel but you guys are right the writers have no clue how to get her into the plot.

I think shifting her to the DA's office was kinda the move that stalled out her character. They could of found a way to have her hate the vigilante but still have her defending the poor. Hell, it would of been a great contrast to Moira, would of helped with the Councilor Blood plot, and a more lefty Ollie ultimately.

I think Laurel should probably be the emotional center and the person who is suppose to be the reason why being a normal good human being can be the best thing.

Trying to dig CNRI out of the rubble, representing the poor against the evil insurance companies who won't pay their claims... Tommy died trying to pry you away from that building. You could do worse than going back and rebuilding.

Just toss the whole "I hate the hood" plot. It wrapped up quick, sure, but was kind of a shaggy dog.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Literally anything. She quits law and becomes an exotic dancer. She takes up long-haul trucking. Is turned into a giant panda. literally anything is better than what she's done so far.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well at least being a stripper would explain her costume choice.

There's one elseworlds title where the Black Canary costume is the uniform for a club she works at.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

Well at least being a stripper would explain her costume choice.

There's one elseworlds title where the Black Canary costume is the uniform for a club she works at.

Didn't they already use this to explain Huntress's costume?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Gilok posted:

Is turned into a giant panda.

Can it be a giant gorilla instead? She can move on over to Flash's show, too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Krad posted:

Can it be a giant gorilla instead? She can move on over to Flash's show, too.

...with Kaity Cassidy as GORILLA GRODD

jscolon2.0 posted:

Didn't they already use this to explain Huntress's costume?

They had her undercover (:v:) at a strip club rocking the classic Huntress getup.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Warmachine posted:

Trying to dig CNRI out of the rubble, representing the poor against the evil insurance companies who won't pay their claims... Tommy died trying to pry you away from that building. You could do worse than going back and rebuilding.

Just toss the whole "I hate the hood" plot. It wrapped up quick, sure, but was kind of a shaggy dog.

There's actually a deleted scene on the bluray that shows why it was important for them to go back to CNRI even against better judgment. I know a lot of people complained about that last year. I wish it would have been included in the show. Basically because of the poor clientele they deal with a lot of them had hard copies of documents and other evidence that was irreplaceable and on top of that they were about to possibly lose their homes as well during impending quakes. So Laurel and the rest there decided that saving anything for these people about lose almost everything was worth the risk. It was a good scene that was obviously just cut for time because of everything else going on in the episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

There's actually a deleted scene on the bluray that shows why it was important for them to go back to CNRI even against better judgment. I know a lot of people complained about that last year. I wish it would have been included in the show. Basically because of the poor clientele they deal with a lot of them had hard copies of documents and other evidence that was irreplaceable and on top of that they were about to possibly lose their homes as well during impending quakes. So Laurel and the rest there decided that saving anything for these people about lose almost everything was worth the risk. It was a good scene that was obviously just cut for time because of everything else going on in the episode.

That's....actually a pretty good reason.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It just kind of sucks because her and Ollie have zero chemistry what so ever and that is suppose to be the love of his life. Unless hopefully she just loving dies and Dinah her long lost cousin shows up.

She's not a terrible actress, I mean you work with what she's given.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Deadpool posted:

See, I really wish they'd run with this. This is good. This could have been a great arc for Laurel in season two. :(

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I still don't understand how they would explain Laurel as Canary. One of the things I like about this show is that characters don't magically become experts at hand to hand combat overnight. The show makes it clear that Ollie, Sarah, and John Barrowman all spent years training to get to that point. I would hate to see Laurel become the Canary with no justification other than "my dad made me take self defense classes."

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

JohnSherman posted:

I still don't understand how they would explain Laurel as Canary. One of the things I like about this show is that characters don't magically become experts at hand to hand combat overnight. The show makes it clear that Ollie, Sarah, and John Barrowman all spent years training to get to that point. I would hate to see Laurel become the Canary with no justification other than "my dad made me take self defense classes."

I met a man at Tiger Schulman's, and it changed my life.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe she takes Tae Bo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They could do that in a number of ways. Time jumps between seasons. Have her out for a half season and say she's been away for a year or two or something and then have her pop back looking like she does in that movie she's filming now. Something similar would be a good look for her on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Just get Slade kidnap her for... reasons, and have them back for the next season as the big bad and his sidekick.

• Locked thread