Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Otisburg posted:

Absolutely. Look at how many deaths we're willing to tolerate just to have privately owned internal combustion engine vehicles to take us boring places.

I would be willing to accept a small but not entirely dismissable chance of bodily harm or death to load up program Otisburg Kinky Sex Pile Theta whenever I want.

Tad William's Otherland has 'goggleboys' who are dudes that stay jacked into the net for so long that they lose the ability to talk normally and become completely weird but masters within the simulations. I guess the logical progression of the computer geek.

Javier "T4b" Rodgers—a goggleboy who speaks in badly mangled net-slang and wears the armor of a robot or a space-age warrior. He is a suspected charge-head—someone who takes data-based drugs.

You don't just party with the Playboy models, you can tune in a wild line of coke too if you like. Yes.. society would rapidly crumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Whalley posted:

Star Trek isn't a show aimed at children shot on theater sets with digital cameras from twenty years ago with a huge fanbase of people who unironically talk about shipping and will openly say "head canon" out loud in public though, so it's hard to compare. It's just the realm of disgusting people wearing homemade costumes, sickening mental elitists, and a really weird amount of pedophiles.

Nothing is good in this world.

I agree fans define what I'm interested in

yep

and I was very serious about redoing Voyager and Enterprise to be good (yeah Enterprise had some good parts but it could be a lot better)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If we want to talk about how terrible fans are, we could always link to the Memory Alpha pages on "Sex" or "Beards" again but maybe we should just accept that the people most obsessed with a thing are always at least mildly off-putting.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Let's talk about good things on Memory Alpha!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Matte_painting This page is the most fantastic place to get phone wallpapers that don't overtly scream Star Trek. I hate how often some of the mattes get used, but they're just really fun future locations. I sort of hope if there's ever a new Star Trek, they do some more outdoor shots that use CG extensions to the set to make some of this stuff look more real.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

If we want to talk about how terrible fans are, we could always link to the Memory Alpha pages on "Sex" or "Beards" again but maybe we should just accept that the people most obsessed with a thing are always at least mildly off-putting.

The MA pages on 'Beard' and 'Breast' are the pinnacle of cultural achievement.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Like I think there is a small possibility the "vulcan posterior" photo reference with the "Vulcan" entry is not meant to edify us on Vulcan physiology and phenotypes but rather to arouse our more illogically prurient interests.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I fuckin' love poo poo like the Romulan Uniform page, where they link to a page that explains what a scientist is but there's no link to what a Romulan is because hey, priorities.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Somethin' about the end of "Explorers" really choked me up. Maybe it's the first appearance of Sisko's beard. That episode was pretty great though, Ben and Jake have such a believable father/son thing going on I love it. Cardassians shooting off space-fireworks celebrating something ancient Bajorans did is really heartwarming. :3:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

apophenium posted:

Somethin' about the end of "Explorers" really choked me up. Maybe it's the first appearance of Sisko's beard. That episode was pretty great though, Ben and Jake have such a believable father/son thing going on I love it. Cardassians shooting off space-fireworks celebrating something ancient Bajorans did is really heartwarming. :3:

It's definitely the beard.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm watching the Voyager episode with the very obviously evil hologram man (the reveal hasn't happened yet, but, it's been there since the cold open). These poor writers and the casting director wanted him to be Anthony Perkins from Psycho so loving hard.

edit: oh, and now Tom is getting jealous of Harry's crush on Seven of Nine. Voyager has vastly improved this season, from "so bad, it's usually unwatchable" to "so bad, it's actually petty funny!"

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 11, 2013

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I'm watching the Voyager episode with the very obviously evil hologram man (the reveal hasn't happened yet, but, it's been there since the cold open). These poor writers and the casting director wanted him to be Anthony Perkins from Psycho so loving hard.

edit: oh, and now Tom is getting jealous of Harry's crush on Seven of Nine. Voyager has vastly improved this season, from "so bad, it's usually unwatchable" to "so bad, it's actually petty funny!"

Just wait until they introduce the Borg Queen. There's much more to come!

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Rutibex posted:

Just wait until they introduce the Borg Queen. There's much more to come!

Was this before or after the "Dark Frontier" two-parter? I really liked the flashback bits. But didn't Janeway get assimilated then rapidly unassimilated?

Edit: That back story and the Enterprise episode always filled in some really important gaps for me. It makes no sense that Guinan's people were spread to the stars by the Borg and, yet, no one has ever heard of them or has had any experience with them before.

I guess it's really hard to figure out with all the retconning going on, but I always felt like the Borg would be this giant, menacing power and it would be absurd for Starfleet to have not at least heard legends about them.

Great_Gerbil fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 11, 2013

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Great_Gerbil posted:

Was this before or after the "Dark Frontier" two-parter? I really liked the flashback bits. But didn't Janeway get assimilated then rapidly unassimilated?

Edit: That back story and the Enterprise episode always filled in some really important gaps for me. It makes no sense that Guinan's people were spread to the stars by the Borg and, yet, no one has ever heard of them or has had any experience with them before.

I guess it's really hard to figure out with all the retconning going on, but I always felt like the Borg would be this giant, menacing power and it would be absurd for Starfleet to have not at least heard legends about them.

Ya Voyager is immune to the Borg pretty much, they're just another average problem. I liked how in Enterprise when the Borg hail them they leave out their name and just say "you will be assimilated" because :effort: to not retcon too badly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Hansens were studying the Borg years before the Enterprise-D encounter anyway, apparently.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

The Hansens were studying the Borg years before the Enterprise-D encounter anyway, apparently.

I assumed that 7 of 9 was still technically like 10 years old but had her development accelerated with borg maturation technology. So the Hansens mission could be after the Enterprise-D encounter.

rocket_man38 posted:

Ya Voyager is immune to the Borg pretty much, they're just another average problem. I liked how in Enterprise when the Borg hail them they leave out their name and just say "you will be assimilated" because :effort: to not retcon too badly.

*successfully steals borg transwarp drive and burns it out cutting 1/8 off their journey*
*never bothers to try again or attempt to reverse engineer the technology*

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Rutibex posted:

*successfully steals borg transwarp drive and burns it out cutting 1/8 off their journey*
*never bothers to try again or attempt to reverse engineer the technology*

Janeway had ADHD. Why the hell should they spend any significant time researching a very obvious way home that would only need a few weeks' worth of tweaking when they ... ohhh a blue nebula!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Rutibex posted:

I assumed that 7 of 9 was still technically like 10 years old but had her development accelorated with borg maturation technology. So the Hansens mission could be after the Enterprise-D encounter.

That was back when the Borg were perfect techno-organic hybrid people, not the space zombies they became.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Rutibex posted:

I assumed that 7 of 9 was still technically like 10 years old but had her development accelerated with borg maturation technology. So the Hansens mission could be after the Enterprise-D encounter.

According to Memory Alpha they started the mission the same year Worf killed a child and Nog was born. It was also the same year Riker and Geordi entered the academy.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rutibex posted:

Wow, shocked that Neelix wasn't all on up that then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

That was back when the Borg were perfect techno-organic hybrid people, not the space zombies they became.

Oh god I hated what Voyager did to the Borg. It's like the writers didn't even understand why they where such a dangerous threat. They just took every trope from Best of Both World and cargo culted it, without any thought. The Borg don't have "adaptive technology" the can adapt because they have the collective knowledge of all their scientists at their disposal and the brain of a billion geniuses. The technology doesn't "adapt" on it's own they are designing that poo poo on the fly. Also they figured out phasers already, you don't get 10 free shots credit when you encounter a new cube :psyduck:

1st AD posted:

Don't blame Voyager, blame Ron Moore and Brannon Braga for Descent which turned the Borg into really dumb idiots and First Contact which turned them into zombies.

That's fair, once Roddenberry died the Borg started sucking.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 11, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Don't blame Voyager, blame Ron Moore and Brannon Braga for Descent which turned the Borg into really dumb idiots and First Contact which turned them into zombies.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

According to Memory Alpha they started the mission the same year Worf killed a child and Nog was born. It was also the same year Riker and Geordi entered the academy.

drat, I guess Ensign laForge was just really overdue for his promotion to Lt. Cmdr by the end of season one, huh?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

drat, I guess Ensign laForge was just really overdue for his promotion to Lt. Cmdr by the end of season one, huh?

Nah, we all know Riker hosed his way up the ranks.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

His demotion to Ensign was part of a plea agreement. The records are still sealed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What was with the string of pathetic chief engineers in season one anyway? I swear in one episode Picard said he had two chief engineers, and they were always different people.

Argyle (terrible decision to try to re-make ethnic Mr Scott?)
Some woman
Several other people
then
That ensign who sits at Conn

how did that happen?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

1st AD posted:

Descent made the Borg smarter!

They left a bunch of guys for dead because, surprise, the Borg aren't morons and the Hugh-plan of "he'll spread individuality through the collective :downs:" was...not really a plan.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Whalley posted:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Matte_painting This page is the most fantastic place to get phone wallpapers that don't overtly scream Star Trek. I hate how often some of the mattes get used, but they're just really fun future locations. I sort of hope if there's ever a new Star Trek, they do some more outdoor shots that use CG extensions to the set to make some of this stuff look more real.

Thanks for these, they're really fun to look through. I just noticed how some of the buildings at Starfleet Headquarters have rust stains, or some kind of wear and tear, on them. Didn't expect that in the squeaky clean future. Love the junky-looking maintenance arm, too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Trent posted:

What was with the string of pathetic chief engineers in season one anyway? I swear in one episode Picard said he had two chief engineers, and they were always different people.

how did that happen?

I think the idea was, since the ship "ran itself" back then, the chief engineer was a pretty useless position and thus the people doing the job were useless. Then between seasons, they tried to figure out what the gently caress to do with the old white dude's Black Driver and gave him a real job.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mr. Jive posted:

Thanks for these, they're really fun to look through. I just noticed how some of the buildings at Starfleet Headquarters have rust stains, or some kind of wear and tear, on them. Didn't expect that in the squeaky clean future. Love the junky-looking maintenance arm, too.

Angel One and Starbase 515 are both unique masterpieces.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Looks like Amazon Prime Video now has TNG seasons 3 and 4 in HD :toot:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
oooooooooooooo

Fun holiday vacation coming up.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Whalley posted:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Paris2342.jpg
Interesting to see that apparently they moved the Eiffel Tower right up next to the river, then put a huge ugly tube under it. Who needs aesthetics when you can have future tubes?

I think the idea was, since the ship "ran itself" back then, the chief engineer was a pretty useless position and thus the people doing the job were useless. Then between seasons, they tried to figure out what the gently caress to do with the old white dude's Black Driver and gave him a real job.
Apparently they weren't even going to build a set for Main Engineering originally. According to one behind-the-scenes book I read Roddenberry learned that because of TV set economics if they didn't build an Engineering set for the pilot they'd probably never get the funds to build one, so he went back and wrote a scene in Engineering for the pilot just to make sure one got built. I'm not sure why Engineering was such an afterthought for TNG considering what a major part of TOS it was. I guess just maybe as another way to try to differentiate TNG from TOS alongside the no Vulcans, ships have families and counsellors, etc. stuff.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is there any news about HD DS9?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

Is there any news about HD DS9?

This is the only Star Trek news that matters these days, admit it.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Trent posted:

Argyle (terrible decision to try to re-make ethnic Mr Scott?)
Some woman
Several other people
then
That ensign who sits at Conn

how did that happen?

According to Wil Wheaton, the actor who played Argyle kinda screwed himself. He recruited friends to write in to the producers in support of his character, but the timing was off, so the letters came in before his episode even aired.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tighclops posted:

This is the only Star Trek news that matters these days, admit it.

What about the real reason why the Data action figures had spotty faces?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

What about the real reason why the Data action figures had spotty faces?

This is funny but please don't sully the thought of HD DS9 with the thought of that loving guy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Angel One and Starbase 515 are both unique masterpieces.

At least they did a pretty big changeup for Starbase 515 on the blu-rays.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Nearly 3am and bored. Let's GIS star trek gifs!

:pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=minJMBk4V9g

• Locked thread