Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Are there any UK goons that pronounce it Zed Three N?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!
CanaGoon here who would pronounce it "Zed Three N", if I didn't mentally refer to Z3n by his avatar most of the time. <neuralPattern>ThatGuyWithHisKneeDownHangingOffSomeApeishBars</neuralPattern>

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I used to read it as Zed Three N until someone mentioned it as zen.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I don't even pay attention to who posts unless they're called out in a post. Pronounce that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

thylacine posted:

I don't even pay attention to who posts unless they're called out in a post. Pronounce that.

Your mom.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

Did you have a cellphone when you were twelve? Serious question because that's what I'm basing my halfbaked pseudoscience on.

I got my first cell when I was 18. I did use a lot of MSN Messenger, AIM, and Yahoo Messenger.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Ffffuuuuck that thing drivers do where they pull a liiiittle further out into the junction when you're approaching with right of way.
:downs:"It's a bike coming, not a car, so I can stick my nose out further into his lane to shave .2 seconds off the turn " is, of course, utterly indistinguishable from the first second of
:downs:"Bike? Where?".

My poor heart must be exhausted.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have gotten the "wtf?" look when I slow down for people like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I generally slow way down and stare right into their eyes as I ride by. A "I don't know if you saw me or not, but I'M WATCHING YOU" *points to eyes with two fingers* kind of thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Roll a little stoppie for them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Bring the front wheel into reserve for safety.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
That's literally the situation your bike has a horn for.

Well that and terrifying pedestrians, obviously.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, that's what it has an engine for :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A bike horn, unless it's some sort of modified air raid siren or train blaster sounds like a kitten sneezing. Who the hell uses a stock horn and expects anyone to hear it or pay attention to it?

Nobody.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

A bike horn, unless it's some sort of modified air raid siren or train blaster sounds like a kitten sneezing. Who the hell uses a stock horn and expects anyone to hear it or pay attention to it?

Nobody.

Which is why you install these:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Which is why you install these:

No thanks, I'll just stick to redlining the engine with my clutch held in. :smuggo:

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

How about a rant for the fuckers who say they'll buy your bike and then flake out at the last minute without telling you, forcing you to contact them to see if they're still coming but "Oh, no, I don't think I'll buy your bike now." ?

Mother fuckers. This is so common it is far more likely to happen than not. I've sold 4 bikes on CL and each one was a nightmare of differing proportions. I've had people ready to buy not show up, I've engaged in email conversations that go on forever and end in nothing. I had one piece of poo poo show up 8 hours late on a beautiful Sunday, waste another hour of my time looking at the bike, and then offer me HALF what I was asking. I realize that negotiation is part of the game but the bike was priced fairly and it was obvious this guy would never come up to where I wanted to be. I literally said "It's time for you to go" in a firm but non threatening manner, and got him the gently caress off my property.

The potential buyer that gives you the least hassle and shows up on time, that is the one who is going to buy your bike.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't it better to just get the hell away if the pedestrians in your area are that terrifying?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I don't know if something's gotten in to the water recently or what but it feels like drivers are actively trying to kill me over the last week or so, what with the running red lights, merging on top of me, braking sharply in heavy traffic to make illegal turns and so on. Maybe I'm just noticing it because I'm riding more regularly? Either way my horn and middle finger have been getting a pretty good workout. :argh:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Realizing that it's mostly stupidity and not malice helps me keep a cool head when people do dumb poo poo.

Also being able to make them a dot in my mirror in just a few seconds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd wager it's the season, too. Roads are always madhouses (like, there is a statistically significant increased rate of accidents) leading up to Christmas.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Yeah, if you live in a heavy metro area it's probably Christmas that's doing it. You're noticing it more since you're on the bike, but people get crazy in this time of year. Going into shooing centers they're not used to, driving places after work when they usually just do it on the weekend, etc.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

tranten posted:

Going into shooing centers they're not used to

I'm going to choose to read this as "shooting", and imagine middle aged women capping one another over the last copy of Pokemon Whatever.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You joke, but last weekend there was a big scare at my local mall because some teenagers got into a brawl and someone yelled gun.

And that mall used to be a race track :argh:

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I had to go out to get a few things while the black friday weekend bullshit was going on and I just want to say that you don't get poo poo from loving nobody walking around a suburban mom feeding frenzy in head to toe black body armor. I suppose this could technically go in the things you love about motorcycle thread.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I hope you've got your SA username stenciled across the back of your jacket as well?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I'm angry at myself. I've fallen in love with the duc 899. It's the ultimate tall persons super sport. The right amount of power for the street, reasonable ergonomics (more leg room than a 675), and it looks beautiful. The only problem is that the price of admission is $15K, which is about $5K more than I want to spend on a bike right now.

Why can't I fall in love with reasonably priced well rounded motorcycles instead of ultra expensive Italian supersports?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Buy a used 848 EVO then

Ducati Ergos are hosed, but you'll love the bike anyway.

Or buy a 999

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What bikes are you looking at where a Ducati wins out in the ergos department?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 11, 2013

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Probably one of these bad boys.

e:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 11, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Never understood why customizers even put front shocks on choppers like that. The rest of the monstrosity is all crazy metal work, why stop at the triple tree?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

ought ten posted:

Never understood why customizers even put front shocks on choppers like that. The rest of the monstrosity is all crazy metal work, why stop at the triple tree?

Crash protection. If you run into something, which you will because you can't turn, the shocks absorb the impact. Oh and ya'll should go sit on the 899, it's surprisingly roomy for a supersport.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

IT.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Guys, after watching a bunch of bike related videos I'm worried I might not be a real bike enthusiast. Though I've ripped apart and rebuilt a couple of the bikes I've owned, in the years I've ridden I have never once taken an angle grinder to my subframe to shower a bunch of sparks off in slow motion. How is it that all the bike people who are worthy of being in videos seem to do this every day of their lives and yet I've never done it once?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Guys, after watching a bunch of bike related videos I'm worried I might not be a real bike enthusiast. Though I've ripped apart and rebuilt a couple of the bikes I've owned, in the years I've ridden I have never once taken an angle grinder to my subframe to shower a bunch of sparks off in slow motion. How is it that all the bike people who are worthy of being in videos seem to do this every day of their lives and yet I've never done it once?

You might be ok if you've ever gotten longwinded about how bikes are a lifestyle and the metal just feels alive and you really connect with the bike and become one maaaan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I certain woman in my neighbourhood has decided her new calling is to camp outside my driveway and call the cops literally every time I go to work, regardless of whether I'm speeding or not.

This is after she came to my door and gave me a long-winded think-of-the-children lecture. Fucksakes. Riding the GL145 to work exclusively from now on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I certain woman in my neighbourhood has decided her new calling is to camp outside my driveway and call the cops literally every time I go to work, regardless of whether I'm speeding or not.

This is after she came to my door and gave me a long-winded think-of-the-children lecture. Fucksakes. Riding the GL145 to work exclusively from now on.

I would like to believe I would be cognisant enough in the moment to say something like this if someone ever started in with me on the "Think of the kids" lecture:

quote:

Let me tell you, man, do I ever agree with you. Children these days have no sense of the majesty of the world, of the wonder that is out there, waiting for them to experience it, with their computers, their cell phones, their post modernist reconstruction, their redefinition of normal trends and goals, their basic lack of appreciation for the arts, sciences, and everything else that goes into the individual pieces of the modern world, like my motorcycle, why not only does it contain a beautiful aesthetic and scientific appeal, it is a height of engineering prowess, the very beauty of modern metallurgy, the characteristics have been lovingly developed by a nearly unbelievable stream of engineering talent, culled from the best students of the best schools for decades, iterating tirelessly to move forward each characteristic of the bike, giving an endless steam of beautiful revisions that lead to a great whole. What an inspiration for a child, what a beautiful thing, to see the progress of man realized in a form of elegant transportation. I do think of the children, I think of them every time I ride and how the very existence of the motorcycle is a beautiful example for them to see, live up to, and experience. To say nothing of the priceless appreciation for the outdoors, the acceptance of the good and the bad, the experience of a microclimate at 80mph, and to see the world in a way most people could never comprehend. So yes, ma'am, I am thinking of the children. Are you?

But the reality is it would just come out like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8pC8iYQSXI&t=0m25

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 18, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is driving me crazy because I actually stopped speeding, at all, in my entire neighbourhood just to stop something like this from happening and she called the cops anyway. She's also extremely thick so I don't picture any reasonable argument to work. Which I'd have difficulty articulating anyway because nothing fills me with unadulterated rage quite as much as people not minding their own business. Who has the time for this bullshit? Doesn't she have a job or something?

Why doesn't she complain about the local drug dealer who cruises around in a lowered Toyota Cressida with the plate [G THANG], or the pig hunter next door who rides a completely unroadworthy, unregistered 50cc dirt bike around the neighbourhood with no helmet?

Also the cop who called me on the phone this morning said 'multiple complainants' had 'identified my bike' as doing some preposterous poo poo, like riding over a footbridge that crosses some railway tracks near my house :lol::wtf:

I asked him how they could possibly know it's me and he said I match the description. Yes, a black bike with a guy wearing black riding gear and black helmet. I hate this country sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Now is as good of a time as ever to invest in Plastidip. :buddy: