Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They probably should have done a better job at communicating the wipe. They knew about it before the weekend began and told people on their forums and IRC and poo poo but I imagine that a whole lot of people don't read this thread or much else about the game. Whenever they have something like a planned wipe coming, wouldn't their launcher be a perfect place to notify people, and not just a bunch of scattered places that a lot of people will never see? Additionally, people say "you should have known there woul be wipes!" all the time but this info is not on their early access page, and their beta FAQ isn't something most people buying on Steam even see. In fact, their Steam early access info in general is really terse and uninformative.

Yeah, and my copy of the game was gifted to me by someone who bought the 4-pack, so I was sort of in the dark about the game as a whole until a key showed up in my mail. I definitely would have liked to know a wipe was coming, then I'd have spent more time on learning the game mechanics instead of farming thousands and thousands of ore which were all deleted to fix bugs that have nothing to do with ore :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It looks cool. :colbert:
I think it's safe to assume they're not anywhere near done balancing weapons/damage/armor/monsters yet anyway. I don't think it'll be useless for long.

Also depending on how ore spawns after this 'generous' period, it might be tough to get a full silver set until T2.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Armor def needs to be tweaked for t1.

Also RE: weapon DPS - Having a 32 dps weapon in T2 I am two shotting mobs. The curve ramps up fairly slowly.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Have the bed regen rates been changed?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Dauntasa posted:

New update seems to have hosed all the random weapons I had. The craft weapons went down from doing thousands of DPS to doing a normal amount, but the random purple sword I found on a TL 10 planet which was doing 1500 dps now does 9 dps.

Tha'ts correct, apparently. Seems like random weapons were broken as well. The ones you have will be really lovely, but any new ones you get will be a little better. In tier 2, 30 damage per swing is enough to one shot anything.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I found a moon in Beta sector with four back-to-back Apex space labs. Each one with an identical layout, guard placement, and decorations. It's really uncanny and kinda cool.

Beta Oswin 88 VI a -72618854, -37495258

It's the moon.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
drat how can a developer be so incompetent.

gobbledygoat fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 11, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

nerdz posted:

Tha'ts correct, apparently. Seems like random weapons were broken as well. The ones you have will be really lovely, but any new ones you get will be a little better. In tier 2, 30 damage per swing is enough to one shot anything.

I found this sword on a planet where monsters have like 5000 hp so it doing 1500 damage was pretty reasonable. Now it does 9 damage, making it do far less damage than an iron axe you can make like 10 minutes after starting the game.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Is it possible to loot guns off of guards before fighting the spaceship? Currently my best ranged weapon is a knife that swings for 3 damage and shoots 1 damage orbs - watch out!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

gobbledygoat posted:

drat how can a developer be so incompetent =.

It's almost like this is a beta and they're extremely open to feed back, willing enough to completely redo things that didn't work and god forbid it may break a bit when redoing the damage formula and all of that completely.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Dauntasa posted:

I found this sword on a planet where monsters have like 5000 hp so it doing 1500 damage was pretty reasonable. Now it does 9 damage, making it do far less damage than an iron axe you can make like 10 minutes after starting the game.

Like I said, apparently all weapon that we were carrying were turned into level 1 weapons. It's better than a wipe, at least.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

gobbledygoat posted:

drat how can a developer be so incompetent.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

nerdz posted:

Not at night! At night mobs had around 50hp and were doing ~80 damage with some abilities after armor, ~30 after armor on a melee hit

It seems like some monster abilities are overtuned atm

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PRADA SLUT posted:

Have the bed regen rates been changed?
They definitively feel slower to me. Even when I take off my shirt in case it's the supposed extra health making it take longer it definitely feels like it takes longer to sleep off the damage. Also the nerf to weapons also came alongside from my going "Sweet! I'm digging through cobblestone with a Stone pickaxe faster than I used with with a copper one!" to "Oh, now it's just as slow as before".

Though I wouldn't be surprised if my game was just being strange before that and there wasn't supposed to be faster digging, I just happened to have it for a while.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

SourceElement posted:

I found a moon in Beta sector with four back-to-back Apex space labs. Each one with an identical layout, guard placement, and decorations. It's really uncanny and kinda cool.

Beta Oswin 88 VI a -72618854, -37495258

It's the moon.

Weird. I also found a desert planet with 4 back to back identical apex labs. The last one was near a tar mountain with oil(?) lakes at the top.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Party Alarm posted:

Not at night! At night mobs had around 50hp and were doing ~80 damage with some abilities after armor, ~30 after armor on a melee hit

It seems like some monster abilities are overtuned atm

Maybe it's because I lucked out in finding 3 of those robot pyramids in a row and got enough matter blocks for a full makeshift set (70 def, +85 hp), difficulty seems just right to me. I can see how harder it would get if I had worse armor than this. Also, the robocop and space marine helmets seem to be broken. 0 defense?

Man, I miss shields.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Currently if you equip a two-handed weapon and another weapon in your mouse slots, and click the slot with the inactive weapon, your current active weapon will assume the elemental properties of the inactive weapon.

My hammer now shoots electricity balls or burns things, depending on how I happen to feel at that particular moment.

Will test for effectiveness with weapons of disparate dps/damage.

edit: Apparently I just had two weapons that behave identically when left and right clicked, just opposite. This is very odd. Will test further.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 11, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I cannot for the life of me get Starbound to run fullscreen, has anyone had this issue and solved it in any way?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Florans confirmed the best race.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

My character that I played for a little bit this morning, before the hotfix, does not appear to have been wiped. My game is updated. What's up with that?

DrunkYardGnome
Jul 8, 2010
Can anyone else confirm that T2 armor works as intended? I've seen one guy post a shitload about it but no one else has said anything.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

By popular request, my take on a plant fuel mod.

Biofuel!
While I may personally think coal is all well and good, many folks clearly don't. And for you who want more options, there's Biofuel!
This mod lets you build a refinery which can turn planks, logs, and plant fiber into starship fuel. It'll take 2 logs, 8 planks (2 logs worth) or 8 plant fiber to make 1 biofuel can, which counts for 1 point of fuel. Essentially logs are viable again, but only at half efficiency. If you want more (or less), you can simply edit the included files.*

We tried to make it as nice as possible for such a little mod, so we actually added new graphics and an animated refinery, which is really just the forge with a new faceplate. The refinery itself is a bit of an investment originally, but it shouldn't take long to get, and you'll only need one before you're zipping through the cosmos on plant power!

Hope you guys enjoy it! (And Anime Schoolgirl, I didn't mean to steal your thunder. We'd already started on this when we saw you were and we were too into it to back out.)
As always, let me know if anything's broken or needs tweaking.

*I would recommend going into the /recipes/biofuel directory. At the top of all three recipes you'll see a quantity that defines how many are needed for 1 can. You can also change items/biofuelcan/biofuelcan.item at the bottom where it says "fuelAmount: 1" and change that to whatever you want if you just want to multiply its efficiency.

I was thinking I didn't need this, but then the biofuel was purple.

Now we just need the ability to drink it with straws.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is the latest build crashing a lot for everyone else? I've crashed four times in the past hour.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

LibbyM posted:

My character that I played for a little bit this morning, before the hotfix, does not appear to have been wiped. My game is updated. What's up with that?

They stated that today's evening patch didn't need to wipe. However there will be another wipe in the future at some point.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Goddamit. This is turning into Dark Souls for me.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm just gonna go ahead and say no more bitching about your poo poo getting wiped because those posts are worthless.

Read this: http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/

Syenite fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 11, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Kind of glad I murdered the penal colony I found before the hotfix went fully through, though it seems the weapons I looted from them are still better than what I started with so that's fine. Now I just have to break the colony down so I can jazz up my starting location/teleport point properly...

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Just got home from work and I've only kinda been keeping up. Is the update my Steam client is downloading right now the "real" one or is another wipe imminent?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
One thing I think they could do is slightly reduce the variance of the starting experience. Lots of friends at work are playing the game and we've noticed that the quality of the experience (and resulting stickiness) varies widely. Laidlaw started on a world with poison pools and firebreathing birds...he's fairly new to this kind of game and it just beat the hell out of him. It's one data point, but I imagine the devs could pretty easily measure how much a player sticks to the game and what their starting experience and rate of consumption of content/materials looked like and make adjustments from there. I bet it correlates to certain kinds of discoveries and challenges.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Umberger posted:

They're pretty upfront in saying that if (potentially frequent) character wipes bother you that you should probably hold off on purchasing the game. Beta and whatnot.

No, the character wipes aren't actually that deleterious -- the whole bit about the first character was just a bit of facetiousness. It's more that the drastic changes occurring on a day-by-day basis make it difficult to progress a character to more advanced content in an enjoyable manner, and that itself is contrary to the purposes of the beta. Developers can scarcely obtain a wealth of information on potential balance issues in the post-starting tiers if the majority of their player/testing base is not given the chance to advance beyond silver (or gold) and the first boss, after all.

Of course, maybe it's more that many people (myself included) are simply too mediocre at this game to reach those more advanced tiers, but the point stills stands that the current mechanics being tampered with by the developers have become worse from a game-design standpoint. RPGs are supposed to be about meaningful progression, and it's difficult to really feel a sense of meaningful progression if the silver armour you spent a few hours mining for is not granting significant bonuses against the enemies that hassled you when you were still breaking trees with the MatMan.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So is anyone else suddenly having huge framerate issues since the hotfix?

It runs perfectly just how it used to on my ship, but when I'm on a planet with any significant amount of stuff or lighting effects around it nosedives to like 20.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

So is anyone else suddenly having huge framerate issues since the hotfix?

It runs perfectly just how it used to on my ship, but when I'm on a planet with any significant amount of stuff or lighting effects around it just nosedives to like 20.

Yeah I found a big prison a minute ago and my FPS tanked to 10 or so

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I love that we live in a world where apparently frequent changes to fix a thing are now considered bad design.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
I know this is late but whatever. I've never played Terraria or knew it as anything more than a minecrafty build stuff game. Starbound is really fascinating me which made me check out Terraria a bit. I know Starbound has a ways to go before it's fully finished but is there anything y'all are finding more fun/less fun than Terraria? I know they aren't directly related (Terraria being one world instead of a universe, Starbound will have plot, Starbound's team only has one dude from the Terraria team, etc.) but I'm trying to figure out whether everyone is so into this because they're burnt out on Terraria or if I should just jump into Starbound. I've been trying to watch videos to get an idea but I was wondering if someone could help a person who doesn't have any experience with games like this. Current bugginess isn't factoring into my decision.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

GreenMarine posted:

One thing I think they could do is slightly reduce the variance of the starting experience. Lots of friends at work are playing the game and we've noticed that the quality of the experience (and resulting stickiness) varies widely. Laidlaw started on a world with poison pools and firebreathing birds...he's fairly new to this kind of game and it just beat the hell out of him. It's one data point, but I imagine the devs could pretty easily measure how much a player sticks to the game and what their starting experience and rate of consumption of content/materials looked like and make adjustments from there. I bet it correlates to certain kinds of discoveries and challenges.

All of the birds seem extremely aggressive and do a ton of damage. It is like playing Morrowind all over again.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I know this is late but whatever. I've never played Terraria or knew it as anything more than a minecrafty build stuff game. Starbound is really fascinating me which made me check out Terraria a bit. I know Starbound has a ways to go before it's fully finished but is there anything y'all are finding more fun/less fun than Terraria? I know they aren't directly related (Terraria being one world instead of a universe, Starbound will have plot, Starbound's team only has one dude from the Terraria team, etc.) but I'm trying to figure out whether everyone is so into this because they're burnt out on Terraria or if I should just jump into Starbound. I've been trying to watch videos to get an idea but I was wondering if someone could help a person who doesn't have any experience with games like this. Current bugginess isn't factoring into my decision.

Terraria has a lot more gameplay to it by virtue of being a more complete product, but personally I like the interface and game-feel of Starbound a lot more, so I think it will definitely become a better game than Terraria...it just isn't there yet.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rocketlex posted:

Terraria has a lot more gameplay to it by virtue of being a more complete product, but personally I like the interface and game-feel of Starbound a lot more, so I think it will definitely become a better game than Terraria...it just isn't there yet.

Yeah, this entire first phase of beta is basically experimenting with new systems and finding what players enjoy the most, and once that's in place, then they'll start refining and expanding on stuff. It's going to be a long time until they release a 'final' version, and even than they've got plans for at least a year of extra content updates after that.

Given that the game is currently sitting between DOTA 2 and Counter-Strike on Steam's active player rankings, I'd be very surprised if they didn't hire a few more people soon. Chucklefish must be preposterously wealthy right now.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So what's the secret of getting into multiplayer now? I keep trying to join servers and its giving me password errors all the time. Regardless if they have a password or not.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I wonder who the dev is actually listening too when doing these balance changes :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Rocketlex posted:

Once all the content gets put in as beta stage 3 winds down I'm sure that will change. Your latter point is more what I'm looking for. If it feels better that's important.

edit: Basically I can see these types of games being huge timesinks and if Starbound is going to be empirically better according to most then I'd just as soon skip Terraria.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 11, 2013

• Locked thread