Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"the ending was abrupt and didn't wrap up any of the plot threads, wtf?!?" - trig, in a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
yeah i may just write this one off

i liked anathem a lot, thought snowcrash and cryptonomicon were okay, but everything else of his i've tried has kinda sucked

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

i liked anathem a lot, thought snowcrash and cryptonomicon were okay, but everything else of his i've tried has kinda sucked
an 800 page book about a pretend mmo by neal stephenson sounds like the biggest flashing warning sign ever, how on earth did you manage to miss it?

at least ready player one managed to wrap up its shittiness in like 400 pages

for big laffs, check out the trainwreck that his kickstartered swordfighting bideo jame has turned into. in short: they burned through all the money, have nothing close to a finished product, are unlikely to ever ship anything, and it turns out they could never have delivered what they were planning using ks funding as it was always an effort to create a demo that would attract investors (this little fact was curiously omitted from all their kickstarter descriptions).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i only got reamde because it was a kindle dotd for $1.99. i think i still got ripped off

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

i only got reamde because it was a kindle dotd for $1.99. i think i still got ripped off
sounds like you got...

...reamed :xd:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
YYEEEEAAAHHHH!!!!

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
i really liked anathem and unlike the rest of the 'pos had a great time with the baroque cycle

i'm real wary of reamde though :ohdear:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the reverse dismount is the best one

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Consider Phlebas isn't terrible but it's not the best intro to culture i guess

i just remember it being long and rambling, and then the war with the idirans is kind of the setup to Look to Windward, but all you really need to know is that there was a war in space, between the idirans and culture v0v

the ending of ConPhleb (no CP here) was weird in that it read like an over-the-top action movie setpiece, and so basically yeah read some other culture novels and if you like them maybe go back and read the first one

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i need to read more stephenson because snowcrash was some great satire

...it was supposed to be satire right? :ohdear:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
if you cant figure out if a novel whose main character is named "protagonist" and revolves around cyberwarfare in pizza delivery is satire, idk what to tell you

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 11, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i still have trouble understanding why heroes took itself so seriously w/ a main character named hiro

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

if you cant figure out if a novel whose main character is named "protagonist" and it revolves around cyberwarfare in pizza delivery idk what to tell you

sci-fi authors man, you just never know

but yeah im p sure it was satire

also i consider myself to be a fan of neal stephenson (though i've only read snowcrash, diamond age and anathem) and even i'm staying away from reamde

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

...it was supposed to be satire right? :ohdear:

Snow Crash is simultaneously the best cyberpunk novel ever written and the best parody of cyberpunk ever written.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i still have trouble understanding why heroes took itself so seriously w/ a main character named hiro

it was a bad show

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

syscall girl posted:

the ending of ConPhleb (no CP here)
or you could call it, you know, consider phlebas. what the hell is it with internet people and needing to abbreviate loving everything? christ, "ConPhleb" saves you, what, a quarter of a second of typing and i guarantee it took you longer to think up in the first place.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

if you cant figure out if a novel whose main character is named "protagonist" and revolves around cyberwarfare in pizza delivery is satire, idk what to tell you

i was just checking because some people don't see starship troopers as satire and i thought maybe it was like that but backwards

also what can-o-raid said: sci fi authors; cant trust em

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

i was just checking because some people don't see starship troopers as satire and i thought maybe it was like that but backwards

also what can-o-raid said: sci fi authors; cant trust em

starship troopers the book was dead serios

starship troopers the movie was a satire and people think it was done by an incompetent idiot trying to make money, and that it was pushing a form of fascism like the book

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 11, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

or you could call it, you know, consider phlebas. what the hell is it with internet people and needing to abbreviate loving everything? christ, "ConPhleb" saves you, what, a quarter of a second of typing and i guarantee it took you longer to think up in the first place.

hey when it comes to work i'm v. verbose and my functions/filenames and whatnot are in plain english, something about scifi just makes me want to concatenate and abbrev. stuff because it's futuristic (like the Gernsback Continuum)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

c almost human s: lol at a robot rolling out his own personal hose for his partners inspection :dong:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Trig Discipline posted:

just click the ? next to my name and see everything yuo need to know about REAMDE; know that the dull behind the scenes mmo bits are more interesting than what the back third of the novel ends up being

starship troopers the movie was a satire and people think it was done by an incompetent idiot trying to make money, not that it was pushing a form of fascism like the book

noted bad opinionhaver did has a bad opinion; noted.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dr john crichton switched bodies w/ a lady and jilled off then told her about it

anyone that says they wouldn't do this is a loving liar

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

anyone that says they wouldn't do this is a loving liar
id just play with my boobz all the time

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i mean i might not tell her about it but i'd figure she's doing the same with my body while she had the chance

FMguru posted:

meh already have my own to play with

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
starship troopers the book explained that the words 'juvenile delinquent' only meant that society is responsible for not taking proper care of children (proper care meaning public beatings)

in the enlightened future of the now kids are free to do as they will with the expectation that they will be denied the rights of, while being sentenced as, an adult and put into privatized torture institutes

i think both of these things are wrong and the actual correct way to deal with adolescence is by sending them off to have vision quests. upon surviving the ordeal and attaining their vision they can then be considered adults and be given suffrage and enfranchisement

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

noted bad opinionhaver did has a bad opinion; noted.

what the actual gently caress are you talking about

the movie was a satire

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

like seriously if you cant figure it out or you know, read a drat single thing about the movie maybe written by someone smarter than you, perhaps scifi isnt for you.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

"this director who is known for satirical movies surely did this one 100% straight and GOD ITS AWFUL"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

verhoeven is a good movie director man

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

what the actual gently caress are you talking about

the movie was a satire
it actually looked like you were saying that it pushed fascism as a work, not within its satirical context

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

yeah dude you got hosed, even i didnt check out terra nova and i was the guy who watched not one but two episodes of loving defiance

i've watched all of defiance so far. i really wanted it to be decent. i knew it wasnt going to be but there wasnt poo poo for scifi on at the time and i needed a fix.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

i really liked anathem and unlike the rest of the 'pos had a great time with the baroque cycle

i'm real wary of reamde though :ohdear:

dont do it unless you want to read a 300 page sales pitch for an MMO hacked together with a tom clancy ripoff including the brown people hatred.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it actually looked like you were saying that it pushed fascism as a work, not within its satirical context

noted bad typer did is bad at typing; noted.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

DiggityDoink posted:

i've watched all of defiance so far. i really wanted it to be decent. i knew it wasnt going to be but there wasnt poo poo for scifi on at the time and i needed a fix.

it hasnt been canceled yet? :psyduck:

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods
primer was cool.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
consider phlebas was fun because there was all that action-movie-y stuff at the end and then the epilogue was like "and everyone died and it didn't affect the war even slightly" (and also the death-obsessed aliens who were curating the planet reset everything so there wasn't even evidence of the battle so it was doubly pointless)

banks was so great at worldbuilding, and doing it in an interesting way. (crap it still makes me sad that i have to write "was" when referring to him)

also lol @ the one dude trying an antigrav jump on an orbital and then dying

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

it was a bad show

how do writers that bad get hired by a broadcast corp

was it design by committee or just some kinda comic book markov engine

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

i'd determine the physical limits of my new genitalia

much like how children play w/ a kitty

also starship troppers is the poor dumb teenage version of the forever war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
i liked consider phlebas anyway