Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Dauntasa posted:

I'm disappointed in fire in general. I found some molotovs and threw them into a wooden Glitch house and was sad that it did not burn to the ground.

Oh man, the rage will be hilarious when a patch changes what happens when you bring your campfire into your first wooden hut. :getin:

VVV Yeah, it made flying enemies much harder. Apparently a larger aggro range, and they breathe fire, spit poison etc.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Ever since the patch I am getting nothing but the most murderous starter planets. My first was full of laserbirds and electric dinosaurs, so I grabbed enough coal to jump to the next planet over (also Threat Level 1) and it's covered in these little anklebiters that are loving everywhere and travel in packs.

I don't know if I'm unlucky or this patch did something to creature generation, but man...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Any enemy that shoots a projectile like bubbles, lightning, etc. seems overtuned, not just flying assholes.

The whole "their corpse is still in attack animation and can kill you while falling", however, is uniquely annoying to fliers.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Your very first genes world should always be flagged as some kind of safe haven with maybe only one enemy type.

Because Jesus gently caress sometimes you end up getting dumped into a screen of electric nail gun shooting shits with flying bloodpuke birds and acid pools and spike plants.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Your very first genes world should always be flagged as some kind of safe haven with maybe only one enemy type.

Because Jesus gently caress sometimes you end up getting dumped into a screen of electric nail gun shooting shits with flying bloodpuke birds and acid pools and spike plants.

Give every starting player the same pre-made tutorial starting planet, with easy to find wood, supplies, and a dungeon to explore so they understand stuff. last quest of the tutorial should give the player a maxed fuel ship and tell them to go find a new planet.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, think I'll mod in a race as well. Unfortunately I don't quite have as strong a concept as the bug people Tyty is working on, so I started working on a spaceship instead. Kinda weird priorities I guess but ehhhh... the shape of the navigable area is probably gonna be a pain to get working too. I probably shouldn't have fiddled so drastically with it. Well, whatever.

As is fairly typical for my spaceship throwing together process I've start with a big colorful blob vaguely in the desired shape. I always did like the Vaygr.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Evil Fluffy posted:

Zombie Bulbasaur is waiting for you down to your right.

And this guy was to the left! He sold me a golden pickaxe.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 11, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

My starting weapon has like 5 or 6 dps. Some of the craftable weapons cost more but DPS is not the only worthwhile stat on a weapon. The size of the weapon, type of strike, and swing speed are important. Two weapons can both do 10 dps and be very different in practice.
Either way, the weapons are a big step up. It's naive to say it doesn't need a lot more balancing, and like Dominic and Shukaro have been saying, it's going to take some time to get there, but we're on our way. It doesn't mean the system is inherently broken and we should just throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Later tiers got a lot better, starter tiers got a little worse.

Luckily you don't need hundreds of coal for a jump! :eng101:

Oh god. Really? Ugh, well while that throws my entire "What is the point of having a useless piece of garbage for 20 Iron, when my starter is better?" Angle, it doesn't change the fact that making the best possible thing you can craft before killing the UFO boss, on your spawn world, leaves you pathetically outgunned by the enemy still. Okay you dug up all this Iron, you built the coolest sword you can make right now... Aaaand the wildlife still deals four times more damage than your best weapon at minimum.

I don't doubt the game will get balanced up, probably sooner rather than later. But man it was a real downer finding that not only did those weapons I crafted last night so I can kill animals in three, MAYBE two hits if I'm really lucky, was nerfed down to "Starter sword" Values so I'm dealing 5 damage per hit against multiple animals who can hit me for a minimum of 20, but that my Starter sword is now basically "cheating" because they made that worse too :sigh:

I have to admit that the Iron Bow seem can still take out the wildlife in two or three shots, so I'm not completely screwed if I don't mess up the second shot now.

On a lighter note, for whatever reason Cobblestones seem to get dug through faster if I'm down past the surface. I can definitely say the cobblestones right where I spawn take longer to dig through than the cobblestones below the surface, and yes they go to the same stack. If that is intentional it is a nice touch :3:

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yooooo, how long has thing been a thing.

You can change your expression with the arrow keys.

Up is happy, Down is sad, Left is Angry and Right is scared.

It's like I'm playing Little Big Planet now!

I love you. You are a saint.

EDIT: vvv I'll admit, I'm probably getting a bit to internet opinions over others feeling "No man, your weapons are SUPPOSED to that weak, it's better that way when your hard work can't even compete with pig turtles sneezing on you" when this situation might not even last the week.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 11, 2013

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

My ship is starting to feel very cozy. :3:

edit: The record player is awesome, it plays some kind of Apex hip-hop. It is glorious.
edit2: Also found an electric bass, now I am running around playing the Seinfeld theme.

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 11, 2013

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Actually come to think of it. What's probably happening right now is that the starting world algorithm only looks for a level 1 world to put you on, and now that all worlds in the Alpha sector are level 1 so you can end up starting on a Medium or Hard world right now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh are we still posting ships now instead of complaining that a beta is unbalanced during the phase where they balance everything? Cool.

I found a Glitch castle, now I am King Buss.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The nice thing about the beta is being able to get a sample of the full game before it's completed who knows when and they stop needing to wipe characters. I've only played a few hours, but I think that's enough to temper the hype a little.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Unhappy Meal posted:

Actually come to think of it. What's probably happening right now is that the starting world algorithm only looks for a level 1 world to put you on, and now that all worlds in the Alpha sector are level 1 so you can end up starting on a Medium or Hard world right now.

Pretty sure that must be it because I've gone through four characters so far and every world I get seems to have blood and lightning spewing birds in flocks, swarms of these charging fuckers, and absolute scads of gold and silver and yet I can only seem to scrounge up a few pieces of coal and enough iron to make an anvil, even after burrowing underground.

Did I mention the pools of poison? Because...pools of poison. :stare:

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Finally got up to the avian pirate ship I found on my first planet

while I'm talking to the quartermaster, GODDAMN BIRDS ATTACK AND MURDER HIM

GOD loving DAMNIT THIS GAME CAN GO gently caress ITSELF I WASTED SEVERAL HOURS TODAY TRYING TO GET A GUN

EDIT: At least I got a 77 DPS poison axe after murdering all the pirates.

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 11, 2013

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

miscellaneous14 posted:

The nice thing about the beta is being able to get a sample of the full game before it's completed who knows when and they stop needing to wipe characters. I've only played a few hours, but I think that's enough to temper the hype a little.

The best thing about such a lovely "beta" is that you already payed for it haha syke now you own this bad game.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Doc Dee posted:

Finally got up to the avian pirate ship I found on my first planet

while I'm talking to the quartermaster, GODDAMN BIRDS ATTACK AND MURDER HIM

GOD loving DAMNIT THIS GAME CAN GO gently caress ITSELF I WASTED SEVERAL HOURS TODAY TRYING TO GET A GUN

I found my first Apex village. It was huge! It had like four huge buildings! People kept asking if my glitch was a spy for Big Ape! I left a little while and came back and there were no people anymore, just weapons and shields.

Then I found a survivor being swarmed by birds. When I rescued them, they yelled at me for having a weapon out.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Are there any Hylotl villages or dungeons implemented yet? I really want to decorate my giant space koi.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bussamove posted:

Oh are we still posting ships now instead of complaining that a beta is unbalanced during the phase where they balance everything? Cool.

I found a Glitch castle, now I am King Buss.

This is the best possible time to complain about things, when it's in a high-change beta. If enough people are having lovely times with their starting worlds now they can see that and change it while the ship is still a schooner, instead of later when it's a super-liner.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
Anyone want to get in on a Four Pack for the discount?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Observe Me posted:

Are there any Hylotl villages or dungeons implemented yet? I really want to decorate my giant space koi.

Not until we get oceans to put underwater cities in.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

I don't doubt the game will get balanced up, probably sooner rather than later. But man it was a real downer finding that not only did those weapons I crafted last night so I can kill animals in three, MAYBE two hits if I'm really lucky, was nerfed down to "Starter sword" Values so I'm dealing 5 damage per hit against multiple animals who can hit me for a minimum of 20, but that my Starter sword is now basically "cheating" because they made that worse too :sigh:

Well you may not have seen how it ended up working out but the first level crafted items weren't the problem. It was the second level crafted items. You could make an item out of Silver/Steel that was capable of one-shotting everything in the game because it did 5000 damage every hit.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I think what I liked about the old system was that it really allowed you to choose your own difficulty. If you wanted super dangerous combat you could go to planets above your gear level's Threat Level, or if you just wanted to mess around you could go to a planet with a lower Threat Level. I hope they find a way to add that back in.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I paid for a thing and do not like it, here let me count the ways.

If you don't understand how a system of randomized weapons and monsters isn't balanced less than a week after the major playtesting began I don't know what to tell you man.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I think what I liked about the old system was that it really allowed you to choose your own difficulty. If you wanted super dangerous combat you could go to planets above your gear level's Threat Level, or if you just wanted to mess around you could go to a planet with a lower Threat Level. I hope they find a way to add that back in.
I believe they said more differentiation would return, sort of "easy/medium/hard" for each current threat level I think. If that's how it ends up I think it'll work out just fine, being able to play your own way like that without delving into too much minutiae.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 11, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Man, if I had known that BONE PLANET was a sub-biome for arid planets, I would have been checking for those more often! Gold right on the surface, too!

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

shiksa posted:

I paid for a thing and do not like it, here let me count the ways.

If you don't understand how a system of randomized weapons and monsters isn't balanced less than a week after the major playtesting began I don't know what to tell you man.

It's almost as if they shouldn't be charging money for it.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else gotten their seeds stuck or something? Because every character I've made since the patch has started on a planet with what seems to be the exact same biome, from the background to the dirt to the flowers, crops, and trees. It's...kinda weird.

gobbledygoat posted:

There is no need to be upset.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 11, 2013

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

gobbledygoat posted:

The best thing about such a lovely "beta" is that you already payed for it haha syke now you own this bad game.

Grow up nerd.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

gobbledygoat posted:

You pre-ordered the game, the beta is an incentive. No one's forcing you to play a game that the devs will fully admit to you isn't finished. What you bought was the finished product.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

gobbledygoat posted:

The whole point of charging money for it is to fund the development. Have you seriously never heard of crowdsourcing?

Oh Exploitable
May 1, 2013
Got a great alpha planet: Alpha HR 6 Phe 514 II c (x: -73324611, y: -27400362) has an avian settlement straight left of spawn, tons of petals for when dye isn't useless, and a really neat underground biome (that is covered in diamonds holy poo poo). I had a chest that I came across have the Energy Dash tech in it, but chests aren't the same across instances so who knows what may be there instead. :shrug:

Really can't wait for merchants to be fixed. At least I can still buy food, so I can continue my quest to be the best Hylotl farmer ever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So how hard is it to make custom items? I'm thinking of making a series of upgrades to the matter manipulator that follow the pickaxe style progression.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I think I found the best warp music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2KJxikpRuo

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So how hard is it to make custom items? I'm thinking of making a series of upgrades to the matter manipulator that follow the pickaxe style progression.

Something like this would be incredibly simple. You would be duplicating a lot of text files and changing 1-3 values in each, the most time consuming part would be creating palette swaps of the matter manipulator graphic for each upgrade.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Oh god. Really? Ugh, well while that throws my entire "What is the point of having a useless piece of garbage for 20 Iron, when my starter is better?" Angle, it doesn't change the fact that making the best possible thing you can craft before killing the UFO boss, on your spawn world, leaves you pathetically outgunned by the enemy still. Okay you dug up all this Iron, you built the coolest sword you can make right now... Aaaand the wildlife still deals four times more damage than your best weapon at minimum.

The game forces you to explore. You can get by only with crafting but NOT, I repeat, NOT only with the general recipes. You have to explore more worlds and find merchants. Their blueprints will give you way better weapons. Some of the weapons they sell directly might be better than the ones you can craft too, but usually their blueprints are better since anything you craft will be a rarity level above white. I noticed dual wielding good single handed swords has worked better for me than a two hander.

An even better solution is raiding dungeons. Rare weapons with modifiers like fire, poison and shock projectiles are infinitely better than anything you craft (and I really hope they will let us add those effects on crafting). In my case, I dual wield a slow fire sword for damage and a fast shock sword for crowd control (shock projectiles go through all enemies).

Try doing that and I expect your experience will improve. It should get even better when shields start working again.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

How do I decide what to put in my ship?
It's everything. I'm going to put everything in my ship.

Sandbox ship is the best.

rhoga fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 11, 2013

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

rhoga posted:

The backwards facing lockbox in the center of the poo poo is driving me insane!

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Has armor been fixed? Does it matter if I make my racial armor instead of silver?

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

Zoe posted:

(Also why does it say October 12th on the Launcher?)

Non-localized dates. i.e. DD/MM/YYYY instead of the American MM/DD/YYYY

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

rhoga posted:

That ship hold setup irks the hell out of me. It's not symmetrical!

I've seen talk of like a list of interesting star systems that contain either useful tech or interesting sights... but aren't all universes custom created on each individual computer? Or how does the generation of that work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

sicarius posted:

The backwards facing lockbox in the center of the poo poo is driving me insane!

I'm not fixing it.
:colbert:

I did fix that^^^

rhoga fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 11, 2013

• Locked thread