Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I guess they havent released curb weights on these yet? Car looks really good in pictures, dont like the irs but I understand why they went that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've been hearing 3100-3200 lbs. That's new-edge hardtop GT territory (the scale weight on mine is 3110 lbs).

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

3100-3200 is a fantasy. I would not be surprised if the weight loss ends up far short of the rumored 200 lbs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I didn't think that was a rumor, I thought the ford guy at that Aus. unveiling straight up said it? I mean unless he's just exaggerating, which is entirely possible/probable.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013
That would put it lighter than a ST Focus. If they got it that close I don't know if that would be impressive for the Mustang or just sad for the Focus.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Maybe that's the ecoboost? I imagine the 8 has 100lbs or so on the 4.

Also since this is a world car shouldn't we be talking kgs?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

And newton meters or whatever the gently caress.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
It boggles my mind that the ecoboost delivers the power numbers (and probably torque numbers too?) of the 2005-era V8 at literally HALF the displacement.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

shodanjr_gr posted:

It boggles my mind that the ecoboost delivers the power numbers (and probably torque numbers too?) of the 2005-era V8 at literally HALF the displacement.

The SVO with a 2.3T made more power than same-year 5.0s in the 80s. A bit shy on torque (240 vs 285 in 1986), but still.

Forced induction is basically magic.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm kind of wondering if/hoping that they'll use the SVO nameplate as a track-ready variant, kind of like how the Boss 302 was.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Suddenly I'm more interested in getting a Mustang than either a Porsche Cayman or Jag F type. I wonder what the v8 will cost.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

gwarm01 posted:

Suddenly I'm more interested in getting a Mustang than either a Porsche Cayman or Jag F type. I wonder what the v8 will cost.

If you're in north America it will cost extremely less. I don't know about other markets.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SouthLAnd posted:

If you're in north America it will cost extremely less. I don't know about other markets.

Don't live in a market where displacement is taxed, kids.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gwarm01 posted:

I would be surprised if a base GT with the V8 would be more than 30,000-33,000 USD. Granted, the base version still has AC, power windows, and CD, so its not really 'base'. Optioned out? A couple will probably be close to 50K and a 'vert around 55K USD. The GT-350 / 500 variants at around 65,000-75,000 USD. They typically do their best to price below a comparably equipped Camaro.

This is going to be before any dealer surcharges due to it being a desirable vehicle.

If the suspension is as good as they hope, the Mustang will be THE ultimate bang for your buck performance buy that nothing out there can touch. I can't wait to read the reviews and actually get some seat time.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Tide posted:

I would be surprised if a base GT with the V8 would be more than 30,000-33,000 USD. Granted, the base version still has AC, power windows, and CD, so its not really 'base'. Optioned out? A couple will probably be close to 50K and a 'vert around 55K USD.

Well, the current coupe starts at $31k and tops out at around $46k. So I'd be surprised if the base GT started anywhere south of $33k.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

Granted, the base version still has AC, power windows, and CD, so its not really 'base'.

Nearly every new car in the US has all three of those, or at least two (I only checked the Fiesta which has AC and CD, but crank windows). The base V6 Mustang has all three.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Second question: am I a bad person for considering the ecoboost model? Considering this would just be a stylish daily commuter, and my current car only puts out around 160HP, it still sounds like it would be a lot of fun for me.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gwarm01 posted:

Second question: am I a bad person for considering the ecoboost model? Considering this would just be a stylish daily commuter, and my current car only puts out around 160HP, it still sounds like it would be a lot of fun for me.

I wouldn't say so. If somebody wants to have Opinions about what you drive they better be paying for you to drive it.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

gwarm01 posted:

Absolutely not, it's like a new-age SVO. And SVOs are awesome. If anyone doesn't like Mustangs with 2.3L turbo fours in them, then they are objectively wrong.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

gwarm01 posted:

gently caress no. Modern direct injection turbo motors are amazing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

gwarm01 posted:

Not at all. This thing is pumping out as much power as the 4.6 from a few years ago, at half the displacement and half the cylinders. If they don't like it, they can feel free to buy you a "better" car.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I'll make fun of you, gwarm. I'll make fun of you.
*gets left by a new accord in his '03 GT*

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

gwarm01 posted:

I'm pretty much in the exact same boat. My current commuter car is about 180hp and fun for me but it's rolling over 200k miles now. I'm looking at something new to replace it next year. I've never been interested in Mustangs in the past but this new Ecoboost is really appealing to me. I need something decent on gas and wanting it to still be fun. I've been looking at some of the smaller sporty hatchbacks like the ST but for the price a lot of those are going for in my area it looks like the 2.3T might not be far off.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gwarm01 posted:

Nope, not at all. Get what you want, be happy. All things considered, if the turbo 4 is at/near the same price as the V8, I would say go with the V8 - unless of course, gas prices are a consideration. Hell, ever since they put the twin turbo V6 in the F150, I wanted them to put it in the Mustang. I would seriously consider getting one even though I have a supercharged 5.0.

That said, I would love for Ford to put out a limited run, lightweight 2.3L turbo model with go fast(er) goodies (tuning, more aggressive gearing, suspension) bearing the SVO badge :getin:

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Tide posted:

That said, I would love for Ford to put out a limited run, lightweight 2.3L turbo model with go fast(er) goodies (tuning, more aggressive gearing, suspension) bearing the SVO badge :getin:

This would be very nice.

Rumors abound about mileage on the ecoboost, but I would expect it to be right about 23/32 they tout for the Focus ST. I can't see it going much higher than that, but it would be nice. As I recall this year's V6 is 19/27.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

Poisonlizard posted:

This would be very nice.

Rumors abound about mileage on the ecoboost, but I would expect it to be right about 23/32 they tout for the Focus ST. I can't see it going much higher than that, but it would be nice. As I recall this year's V6 is 19/27.

Current V6 is 19/31 for auto and 19/29 for manual. I think the original Autoweek article said improved MPG for the V6 and the V8 in the new model. Curious where the Ecoboost will slot in then

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Jomo posted:

These are going to sell insanely well in Australia as long as the base model is 30-34k. Hoping New Zealand doesn't get jacked on the pricing like we did with the 86.

Are you kidding? Ford Australia's marketing clusterfuck means base model will be a $50k car and no one will buy them, just like the last time they were sold here...

[edit]

http://www.caradvice.com.au/263361/ford-mustang-convertible-unveiled-australia/

Base model, $45k (estimate at this stage of course)

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 8, 2013

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nefU4Z6xWM
RAWR

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Pretty good for OEM H pipe and axle back.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Also note how the car in the video has a single-color rear instead of the black at the bottom with a body-color diffuser.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So my girlfriend has a 2012 grey mustang and wants the rear side window louvers. I want to get her some for Christmas. Are there ones that are recommended? I don't want to buy her crap and holy gently caress I hate reading mustang forums.

EDIT: I literally know nothing about mustang suppliers. Is american muscle any good and are their in house painted parts ok?

Sadi fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 9, 2013

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Sadi posted:

So my girlfriend has a 2012 grey mustang and wants the rear side window louvers. I want to get her some for Christmas. Are there ones that are recommended? I don't want to buy her crap and holy gently caress I hate reading mustang forums.

EDIT: I literally know nothing about mustang suppliers. Is american muscle any good and are their in house painted parts ok?

American Muscle or Late Model Restoration are good placed to buy parts. The painted parts may be the same color as the car but because of the outside elements effects to the car the colors may appear different. A paint shop can blend the colors for you.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Sadi posted:

I'm a big fan of the ones made by Silverhorse Racing (also sold by AmericanMuscle). The painted version is pricy though at $355. You can get an unpainted one for about half that if you want to paint it yourself.

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/SHR-Flush-Mount-Quarter-Vent-Louver-2010-pair-PAINTED.html

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Boy's have penises and girls have vaginas

Wrar posted:

gently caress no. Modern direct injection turbo motors are amazing.

I'm here to second this. As a current owner of a 2011 Mustang GT convertible(BAMA tune only) and former owner of several V8-powered cars, all modified(2004 E55 AMG , 1999 Mustang GT convertible, 1995 Z-28, and a couple of Firebirds) , nothing has impressed me more than the GDI 2.0T in my DD 2013 Kia Optima SXL. It's not a light car, I am not a light person, it has 200 pounds of equipment in the trunk, but the combination of the engine and six-speed automatic make it the best overall powertrain I have owned. The engine makes nearly full torque by 2,000ish RPM, the transmission shifts seamlessly and nearly instantly when you step on it, and it still pulls down 34 MPG. I can only imagine how much fun a more powerful GDI-T engine in a lighter RWD car would be.

It is certainly not the most powerful, quickest, or best car out there by a long shot, but the engine and transmission programming are top-notch, making for a more enjoyable car all-around. It's the instant torque that does it, and even though the my Mustang puts out far more power, you still have to wait until ~4,000 RPM for the engine to really come alive. That's the beauty of modern GDI-T technology, there's torque everywhere, and the turbo sounds pretty cool too. Granted, the E55 had torque off idle and pulled like a freight train, but overall fuel economy over my 70,000 mile ownership was 15.6 MPG, and it was a heavy car that was really only fun in a straight line. The combination of the transmission, torque management, and supercharger clutch made it a jerky ride, and I can clearly see why Mercedes went to much smaller TT engines in some of the newer cars.

I think the EcoBoost Mustang will be a winner, and the aftermarket support for more power without compromising drivability will surely be there. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's a turbo or two and direct injection. All of the benefits of a much larger engine, torque in spades, and fantastic fuel economy. I was a die-hard V8 fan for years, but the Kia has really opened my eyes to the great things technology can bring to the table.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm excited for the EcoBoost engine, but I can't help but think how awesome it could be if they offered an EcoBoost V6 as well, or instead of the base V6. Are they afraid it would cannibalize sales of the V8?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PT6A posted:

I'm excited for the EcoBoost engine, but I can't help but think how awesome it could be if they offered an EcoBoost V6 as well, or instead of the base V6. Are they afraid it would cannibalize sales of the V8?

Exactly. Plus it'd probably be more expensive than the 5.0 (much like it is in the F-150), and a top-end Mustang HAS to be a V8, dontchaknow.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Midniter posted:

Exactly. Plus it'd probably be more expensive than the 5.0 (much like it is in the F-150), and a top-end Mustang HAS to be a V8, dontchaknow.

Well, the obvious solution is to make the top-end Miustang an EcoBoost V8 (does such a thing currently exist?)! Everyone wins that way!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

We'll probably see a turbo six once a turbo/super eight is available.

2013 lineup: V6, V8, Bigger V8, Super V8

2017 lineup: V6, Turbo 4, V8, Turbo 6, Super V8

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Someone earlier in the thread suggested a Mustang-based Lincoln, which I think would be cool...and I think we're more likely to see the EcoBoost V6 in a Lincoln on the Mustang platform in lieu of the Coyote than we would in the Mustang itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I was reading Road & Track (I think?) in a waiting room today and they had an article on the new Mustang. Supposedly GM and Ford are co-developing a 10-speed automatic that will eventually make its way into the Mustang in the coming years, and supposedly there's a twin-turbo V8 displacing between 5.0-5.5L codenamed Voodoo that's being developed to eventually replace the supercharged 5.8 lump in the GT500. The article claims it'll first come in the GT350 as a lower-end model, but will eventually be thrown into the GT500 in an even more hotted-up version. And apparently the Voodoo isn't Coyote-based, because the article mentioned Ford mulling over a N/A version.

How much of this is utter bullshit? Who knows. It's a car magazine, after all :v: