Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Umberger posted:

Ore is generously tuned right now (to the point that the developers said it's probably too much). Coal seems pretty sparse though.

Before the 12/9 patch I made it to the X sector without seeing a Diamond Ore. I haven't even left Beta on this character and already have more than 50.

Yeah, ore definitely needs a fix. Glad the birds are done, just waiting on the patch to come through.

I actually got angry with the game for the first time playing today because the planet I was on in Beta sector had virtually no coal, and both the birds and the terrestrial animals fired laser beams of loving death that pretty much killed me in a single shot. Finally I managed to scrounge up enough coal to leave the planet and head to a new, more populous system where I was greeted by more beams of death and still no loving coal.

After running around like a loving pussy for a half hour I managed to get enough coal to get the gently caress out. Now I'm back in Alpha sector.

And there's still no loving coal. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PiCroft posted:

My avian found a bunch of Avian temples, one of which was a 30 second jog from my landing site. I wonder if the stuff that appears on your starting world is determined by your race?

I also thought it was a neat touch to have the Avian nasties shout "Die, Grounded scum!" at my Avian, after discovering what that meant by reading the codex.

There were a bunch of Avian tombs in the depths of my planet, so I'm not sure.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm sure that complaining won't change anything... but why is there a hunger mechanic in this game? I like the heat bar. That constrains my movement in interesting ways, makes torches matter more, and makes me pick equipment for more than one stat.

But the hunger bar is just a waste of my time.

I agree. At the moment it seems a bit of waste of time. It's trivial to get food.

I assume it will eventually act as an alchemy system or something? Cooked foods as potions. Like spicy food will give you a speed boost, deserts heal you, or something like that?

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Fintilgin posted:

I agree. At the moment it seems a bit of waste of time. It's trivial to get food.

I assume it will eventually act as an alchemy system or something? Cooked foods as potions. Like spicy food will give you a speed boost, deserts heal you, or something like that?

That definitely looks to be the case. I found apple pie in some chest that gave health regen and also some fire effect that basically made me glow.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah I'm feeling this, with the amount of time I spend making food just to not die randomly it should give me some kind of health benefit at least.

high hunger meter give you regen and each foodstuff gives different buffs for a few minutes. Bam eating actually adds a little something worthwhile if you want to invest in it and dosen't take anything away if you don't.

[e] Or hell, eating food can permanently improve attributes a bit (a la rune factory) but you can only eat so much and then you have to wait for the meter to drop.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 11, 2013

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Two things I'd like to see:

1. Have whatever planet you set as home cost 0 fuel to return AND always be running in the background ie: farms/gadgets/etc work while your away.

2. Make Glitch food fuel the ship. Fitting renewable resource.

Anything else I'd complain about is likely to be added during the beta anyways.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I wish I hadn't run into the bug where your starmap resets each time you close the game. That's a killer.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
:siren: Tired of smelting ores taking forever from your super-MM fueled mining sprees? :siren:

I made a "mod" that adds crafting recipes of every commonly used ore->bar: Aegisalt, Cerulium, Copper, Diamond, Gold, Iron, Platinum, Rubium, Silver and Titanium (note it does not include the "rod" recipes like Plutonium because those are pretty rare and kinda useless).

To add these you will need to do the following (use Notepad++ to get the proper format when reading these):

1) Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\player.config
2) Scroll to the "defaultBlueprints" : { "tier1" : [" section.
3) Add these:
    { "item" : "aegisaltbar" },
    { "item" : "Ceruliumbar" },
    { "item" : "copperbar" },
    { "item" : "diamond" },
    { "item" : "goldbar" },
    { "item" : "ironbar" },
    { "item" : "platinumbar" },
    { "item" : "Rubiumbar" },
    { "item" : "silverbar" },
    { "item" : "titaniumbar" },
You can add them wherever, this will just make them available from the start.

4) Download this .rar
5) Put all of the .recipe files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\recipes\tier1\metalworkstation folder.

When you load up a game you should be able to craft bars from ore as soon as you get the Metalwork Station. All of them are set to 2 ore = 1 bar with the exception of 4 Diamond Ore = 1 Diamond (as far as I'm aware this is how they all are).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Seems not all food is safe in this game.
Eating one of the glitch dishes I made from a recipe I found in a glitch village crashes my game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
On the subject of food, when growing farms do some seeds only grow under certain conditions? I've had chili seeds planted forever and they haven't grown at all.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Please make mod to make all food grow instantly tia

there is literally no part of this game that is not tedious to me.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

And there's still no loving coal. :mad:

Preaching to the choir here. I only picked up the game today so I haven't played the previous patch iteration everyone's comparing it to, but there's definitely not enough coal in the world. Between fueling my ship and making torches for mining I just can't scrape together much at all.
I've managed to visit one other planet in Alpha, and had to be extremely frugal in lighting my mines there in order to get enough fuel on my ship to get back to my homeworld.
Now I've built the beacon and beaten the UFO but the idea of flying off to anywhere is laughable at the moment. I've got four torches in my inventory and maybe six lumps of coal. I'd really like to see an alternative low tech fuel option for the ship. Maybe wooden logs? I've got plenty of those at the moment. If my ship can burn coal surely it can burn wood.
For me the main draw of the game is jetting off to explore new worlds. Right now the shortage of coal is keeping me from doing that. Can't fly anywhere, and if I do scrape up enough to get to somewhere else, most of what little coal I find there goes into torches so I can see what I'm doing as I look for enough coal to fly to my next destination.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Wyld Karde posted:

Preaching to the choir here. I only picked up the game today so I haven't played the previous patch iteration everyone's comparing it to, but there's definitely not enough coal in the world. Between fueling my ship and making torches for mining I just can't scrape together much at all.
I've managed to visit one other planet in Alpha, and had to be extremely frugal in lighting my mines there in order to get enough fuel on my ship to get back to my homeworld.
Now I've built the beacon and beaten the UFO but the idea of flying off to anywhere is laughable at the moment. I've got four torches in my inventory and maybe six lumps of coal. I'd really like to see an alternative low tech fuel option for the ship. Maybe wooden logs? I've got plenty of those at the moment. If my ship can burn coal surely it can burn wood.
For me the main draw of the game is jetting off to explore new worlds. Right now the shortage of coal is keeping me from doing that. Can't fly anywhere, and if I do scrape up enough to get to somewhere else, most of what little coal I find there goes into torches so I can see what I'm doing as I look for enough coal to fly to my next destination.

Out of curiosity, what kind of jumps are you trying to make? Jumping to another system costs a huge 200 fuel, but just jumping to another planet in the same solar system only costs 50, and if you happen to be on a planet with moons, it only costs 1 fuel (that is, 50% of a coal) to go somewhere new.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Would anyone be able to tell me how to mod the fuel value back into wood? I've tried to do it myself but I just keep ending up having all unrefined wood in the game end up as "perfectly generic item" and I'm just about to admit defeat.

Definitely needs to be more coal :( Especially in the beta sector, which seems oddly barren of it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ugh I can't hit random and fly literally across the galaxy every time?! gently caress this broken game. I'm going to get a refund from Gabe Newell.

Avaa
Nov 29, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

uuu so lazy is there a mod that puts everything on one planet and sucks it up into my inventory so I don't have to do anything? TIA.

Yeah, there is.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/easy-way-to-spawn-items.36463/

Kyrosiris posted:

My only worry about doing this would be inviting even more "fall damage" deaths with the stupid way it's calculated (read: it's based on air time since start of declination, not vertical distance travelled).
Well, in the same folder theres the player.config wich lets you mess around with all the falldamage releated variables.
Never messed around with them but you could proably turn it down or turn it off altogether with them.

In the same file there is an entry called "foodDepletionRate", if you set that to 0 maybe you won't get hungry ?

It's amazing how easy it is to mod this game.. Almost everything can be changed and configured to your liking by changing the files in the assets folder.
They are all in plain-text and mostly self-explanotory.
Played around with it for 30 minutes, added a recipe to the stone furnace that gets you charcoal for wood, wich you then can use to power your ship. Also made a piece of armor give you a constant speedbost effect..

I think I am gonna have almost more fun playing around with that then the actual game.

Edit: You mean this one:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/biofuel-starship-fuel-from-wood-and-plants.47095/ ?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Avaa fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 11, 2013

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Could someone relink me that snazzy looking goon-made mod for creating bio-fuels? It was posted here somewhere but can't seem to find it. It was purple.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Octolady posted:

Would anyone be able to tell me how to mod the fuel value back into wood? I've tried to do it myself but I just keep ending up having all unrefined wood in the game end up as "perfectly generic item" and I'm just about to admit defeat.

Definitely needs to be more coal :( Especially in the beta sector, which seems oddly barren of it.

I dunno about the exact value but there's a mod: http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1smjxi/i_got_tired_of_the_scarcity_of_coal_so_i_made_a/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
As I posted in the official forums, I had a starter world with two chunks of coal ore period ( and about 100 iron) while it was loaded with gold and platinum.

Copper was pretty scarce as well.

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
Ah I see they have changed the stats of super crafted items. However did not wipe our accounts. Strange.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Avaa posted:

Yeah, there is.

Ew he wants me to copy and paste? :effort:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Out of curiosity, what kind of jumps are you trying to make? Jumping to another system costs a huge 200 fuel, but just jumping to another planet in the same solar system only costs 50, and if you happen to be on a planet with moons, it only costs 1 fuel (that is, 50% of a coal) to go somewhere new.

The one extra-planetary trip I made was to another planet in the same system. My homeworld is the moon of an arctic planet, but I don't have anything like enough leather to put together some cold weather gear so I'm basically stuck trying to hoover the coal out of my homeworld for the foreseeable future.
Ah well, it's beta. Hopefully either the drop rate of coal will be adjusted upward or there'll be some alternative fuel or lighting added in some future update. Think I'll brave the Starbound forums and throw in a 'me too' in whichever thread is inevitably discussing this issue.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Oh man, thank you! :allears:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
My problem with coal isn't so much its spawn rate itself as it is that I spend 9 coal on torches for every 10 coal I actually find.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Retro42 posted:

Two things I'd like to see:

1. Have whatever planet you set as home cost 0 fuel to return AND always be running in the background ie: farms/gadgets/etc work while your away.

2. Make Glitch food fuel the ship. Fitting renewable resource.

Anything else I'd complain about is likely to be added during the beta anyways.

1. that would mean doubling the amount of work a multiplayer server is doing. Although one thing I always wondered was couldn't you add timestamps to smelters, fires, ect. and when the world respawns check the timestamp and add x bars and remove 2x ores? I like the idea but there's gotta be a less intensive way to do it.

2. That would make a lot of sense. although that biofuel mod is amazing just for that floran picture.

seriously, beautiful touch to that mod.

What's still driving me up the wall is that we have so many two handed weapons and hardly any one handed weapons spawning. 1 in 10 of weapon drops use one hand, the rest are two. I don't even thing a legendary one handed weapon exists.

Also, matter blocks... they kinda rock.
I found a reddish purple looking machine that killed me and spewed purple matter blocks everywhere, apparently it's used in makeshift armor which is a tier two armor with tier 3 stats.
Does anyone know how to reliably get more? The set looks like something from Metro.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

My problem with coal isn't so much its spawn rate itself as it is that I spend 9 coal on torches for every 10 coal I actually find.

I suppose you could try not doing that?

You have a flashlight... Better yet you could even reuse the same torch.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

As I posted in the official forums, I had a starter world with two chunks of coal ore period ( and about 100 iron) while it was loaded with gold and platinum.

Copper was pretty scarce as well.

Yeah, the starter world selection is definitely unfinished with the way they tweaked sector difficulty.

As it stands, you can totally start on a planet with a hidden difficulty value which has mostly outleveled coal (and outleveling coal also shouldn't really be a thing that happens), and the increased ore generation in general might also be taking over whatever space the coal would have been in. Chances are they'll get it fixed once they implement whatever Easy/Medium/Hard ratings per threat level that someone mentioned a while back, such that it would only start you on an easy planet.

And hopefully they'll make coal spawn at all difficulty and threat levels once they tweak the ore generation farther (since they seem to think there's too much right now). I was getting hundreds of coal per planet without really going out of my way to do so in Alpha sector, but on some of these beta planets it's super rare and only spawning in tiny little chunks.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I also had a coal problem where I started in a system with one planet only so I needed to gather 200 fuel to jump out. I mined all of the surface coal but needing it to make torches so I can go look for subterranean coal frequently made me break even or even lose coal on an expedition. I ended up restarting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hmmm. This miniboss I just killed on a tier 3 planet dropped an "uncommonteir2shortsword". :raise:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zereth posted:

Hmmm. This miniboss I just killed on a tier 3 planet dropped an "uncommonteir2shortsword". :raise:

Yeah it seems now that random loot is pretty garbage. I could either use my crafted level 1 weapon with 20 dps or this lovely sword from a miniboss that has 10 dps.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, it's unfortunate that it seems like boss drops weren't balanced yet. I picked up like 3 legendary cloud/bubble swords and they were all really bad. Oh well.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Motherfucker posted:

I suppose you could try not doing that?

You have a flashlight... Better yet you could even reuse the same torch.
Being able to see and mine at the same time might be a luxury to you, but I really like it!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Being able to see and mine at the same time might be a luxury to you, but I really like it!

place torch, mine, pick up torch, use flashlight and torch to find next place to mind, repeat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Genocyber posted:

Yeah it seems now that random loot is pretty garbage. I could either use my crafted level 1 weapon with 20 dps or this lovely sword from a miniboss that has 10 dps.
It would've been pretty decent before I got to Tier 3. Same with the tier 2 axe I found in a chest on this planet earlier. But since it's for some strange reason a tier behind it's crap compared to my titanium sword.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Are there mining helmets in game? That or one handed picks would be nice, which would probably be a pretty simple mod.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Zereth posted:

I'm not positive but I think that might be a descriptor for its appearance rather than the quality. Everything I've found in any sector that wasn't "crappyweapon" (or whatever the rusted ones are called) was noted as tier2. Some were poo poo by tier 1 standards and one of them is easily one-shotting everything that isn't a boss (and is fast).

Genocyber posted:

There's just a weirdly huge amount of variance in it still. Almost everything you find randomly in sector alpha is garbage, yeah, but the very first drop I saw from beta sector did 70 damage with a swing speed of more than 2. And now almost everything else I've found in beta has been similar to or worse than the steel crafted weapons.

I think NPC guards may also have somewhat better loot tables than everything else.

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
The ore generation is still way over the top. However now my steel axe does not do 10000 damage per hit and I am in the delta sector I need a good weapon, Anyone got any coordinates for delta avian airships?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I'm not positive but I think that might be a descriptor for its appearance rather than the quality. Everything I've found in any sector that wasn't "crappyweapon" (or whatever the rusted ones are called) was noted as tier2. Some were poo poo by tier 1 standards and one of them is easily one-shotting everything that isn't a boss (and is fast).
Oh. It's still got stats that put it on par with the stuff I made in Tier 2, though.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I feel pretty lucky that my starting planet has a ton of coal, though I'm afraid to summon the UFO because I don't think I'm very equipped to fight it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
So I got to Delta Sector. Maybe my recent modding has messed with something, but is there really no new craftable stuff? I got the recipe for Durasteel Bars, I can make the pet catching stuff, but the only new armor requires Matter Blocks and there are no new craftable weapons to speak of.

• Locked thread