Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hellioning posted:

Fine, two female characters.

Yup, the exact number of women was the important part of that post.

ethanol posted:

pretty sure that's ezio auditore

I think you'll find you mean Etro Auditore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yup, the exact number of women was the important part of that post.

Just because the game isn't out yet doesn't mean I can't say that the stuff that is out doesn't interest me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Just because the game isn't out yet doesn't mean I can't say that the stuff that is out doesn't interest me.

Oh no, that'd be fine but I'm saying there's a difference between saying "This doesn't interest me" and "This game we know nothing about HAS NO WOMEN IN IT!". One of those points makes sense.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I think you'll find you mean Etro Auditore.

This poo poo is recursive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJaG4vCSAjI

All roads lead to FFXIII. :unsmigghh:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Jesus there was a lot of 13-2 DLC. I'd never even heard of that one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh god I JUST finished that game but now I kind of want to get that DLC.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ethanol posted:

pretty sure that's ezio auditore

S-E do seem to take some inspiration from popular western games. Lightning running and jumping around town with that white coat makes it look like Assassin's Creed the JRPG. Not to mention the Mass Effect armor in FF13-2.

EDIT: ^^^ Oh wow I completely forgot about that costume :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oh no, that'd be fine but I'm saying there's a difference between saying "This doesn't interest me" and "This game we know nothing about HAS NO WOMEN IN IT!". One of those points makes sense.

Well the developers sure don't seem interested in showing us any women the game does have. This type of 'wait and see' defence is a pretty dishonest way of shutting down discussion imo, people aren't complaining based on a few leaked pre-production renders but extensive marketing media put out by SE itself, if there are significant female characters in the game we haven't seen, they sure don't seem too bothered about showing us them.

e: reminder this is the confirmed entire main party:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Level Slide posted:

Masked person might be a lady as well.

Surprise, it's Lightning! All the fans will be delighted.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Lightning is the new Gilgamesh.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Well the developers sure don't seem interested in showing us any women the game does have. This type of 'wait and see' defence is a pretty dishonest way of shutting down discussion imo, people aren't complaining based on a few leaked pre-production renders but extensive marketing media put out by SE itself, if there are significant female characters in the game we haven't seen, they sure don't seem too bothered about showing us them.

The entirety of the Pre-XV marketing stuff, back when it was gonna be just FFXIII:Versus, was focused around the main guy, and, the blonde woman. Her name was the second to be known, Stella, and they even showed them interacting.

They even gave a rough outline of what she was going to be doing in the story, or rather her role. She's a pretty big role, if that's anything to go by. It's not like they've swept her under the rug - I think they're just more focused on trying to get the gameplay across ATM, considering it's spent nearly a decade in videogame purgatory.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Krad posted:

Surprise, it's Lightning! All the fans will be delighted.

Except she's speaking in some ancient dead language that no one understands.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait, have they confirmed Stella isn't playable?

Because that would actually be pretty lovely. In every recent Final Fantasy game around half (give or take) of the playable cast has been female. Going from that to literally zero playable lady characters would be pretty lovely, but I had just assumed that she was going to join your party at some point and hadn't heard anything about the five dudes being the only playables.

Level Slide posted:

Except she's speaking in some ancient dead language that no one understands.

Vous ne comprenez français?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Always been 3 playable women, from IV onwards. It working out to half, give or take, is just a coincidence.

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^

"New?" At this point, almost waiting for Lightning to be confirmed as being Gilgamesh from the start. :shepface:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Bad marketing decisions is kind of Video Game 101 even for GOOD games so I'm not sure why you pay attention to any of it as a marker for quality. And maybe it's just been because I've been replaying Older FF (and a lot of TWEWY) or all the talk about 7/9/10 in this thread, but SE can and has written some really great female characters in the not too distant past. Hell, 13's kind of the odd duck out in Modern FF, and even then that's more because the overall game's writing is trash in 13/13-2. For 13-3 they went full idiot and let the creepy waifu loving director have his way on everything and that's why LR is...so goddamn creepy.

Basically, yeah there's a worrying lack of female presence in the PR poo poo they've let trickle out so far (And goddamn is it a trickle) but given their track record and how they've been pulling up from a poo poo spiral in their non-FF13 related poo poo I'm not all that worried.

They of course can prove me wrong and go the 13 route again, i mean this thing HAS been in development forever and that mismanagement during development was one of things to blame for 13 coming out as a hot mess, but I dunno. They got their house in order for 14 (And Pre-ARR 14 was literally the worst MMO I've ever played and one of the worst FF games period) so I've got some hope.

Also where'd you hear that was the confirmed Main party/only playable because Stella has been a thing since this poo poo was Versus (She was the second character revealed and named!) and I'd be loving shocked if she wasn't playable/part of the crew.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 11, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Because that would actually be pretty lovely. In every recent Final Fantasy game around half (give or take) of the playable cast has been female. Going from that to literally zero playable lady characters would be pretty lovely, but I had just assumed that she was going to join your party at some point and hadn't heard anything about the five dudes being the only playables.

We've had trailers of the two of them fighting. So she's either going to be an antagonist who joins the group after you beat her, or the final boss.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Terper posted:

We've had trailers of the two of them fighting. So she's either going to be an antagonist who joins the group after you beat her, or the final boss.

Wait, what? Link please.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

Fun fact: Since FF4, there's always been exactly three female characters in the main PC cast.

So I'll go with robe person being a woman pretending to be a man because why not.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know. The wikia lists her as an NPC, but I don't know where they're getting that info from. She's possibly gonna be fought at some stage.

On a slightly different tangent, the old-man antagonist's name is Idola Eldercapt. Another one to add to the list of hilariously goofy Latin names.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ImpAtom posted:

Vous ne comprenez français?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7osGfFTQVtU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^

She doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. :colbert:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mega64 posted:

Fun fact: Since FF4, there's always been exactly three female characters in the main PC cast.

TAY has like eight or nine, IX ... does Quina count?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dross posted:

TAY has like eight or nine, IX ... does Quina count?

If Vivi counts as a boy then Yes.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kyrosiris posted:

She will fight like a man! Or...a woman! Or...a woman who dresses like men!

Gilgamesh really steals the show in FFV.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

e: reminder this is the confirmed entire main party:

There's totally a woman in that lineup, there's Quistis second to the right, she just got a Zell haircut :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 11, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The fact you have to zero in on one character who seems to be a complete wild card to the story at the moment to find any female representation shows that this game seems to have a major gender problem. If the main cast had similarly revealed to be all-female at this point with only the suggestion of non-supporting male characters y'all would be crying havok about what a tittyfest it's spinning out to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFIX should have just given us Beatrix.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BottledBodhisvata posted:

She will fight like a man! Or...a woman! Or...a woman who dresses like men!

Gilgamesh really steals the show in FFV.

I still want some sort of game where you play as Gilgamesh, going around and stealing swords. :smith:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The fact you have to zero in on one character who seems to be a complete wild card to the story at the moment to find any female representation shows that this game seems to have a major gender problem. If the main cast had similarly revealed to be all-female at this point with only the suggestion of non-supporting male characters y'all would be crying havok about what a tittyfest it's spinning out to be.

After Lightning and 13 (and to a lesser extent, FFX-2) then I'd be happy if nobody at Square attempted to write women ever again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I still want some sort of game where you play as Gilgamesh, going around and stealing swords. :smith:

The Misadventures of Gilgamesh would be a great game. Feature a trainable Enkidu and you're in business.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kyrosiris posted:

I want Lightning to be added to every FF remake, sequel, spin-off and port. :unsmigghh:
And then for it to be revealed that she retroactively helped them, with the most asinine, retconnish poo poo the writers can pull out of their asses.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's a really cool concept for a game. And it reminds me why I saved this image for a reason:

I want this game. :(

[e]: With this playing in the background.
Stop it, please. I want this so bad :negative:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 11, 2013

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

The Misadventures of Gilgamesh would be a great game. Feature a trainable Enkidu and you're in business.

Platinum Games to develop it. Gilgamesh has to fight his way through the Void, dispatching all of the villains in the franchise and stealing their weaponry, trying to free himself from a temporal loop through intense combo-driven combat.

Imagine running up the side of the Shinra building, having a katana duel with Sephiroth, leaping up and tapping X to slice both him and the entire building in half while screamo metal roars in the background. Then you take his sword, try to swagger away, and promptly trip over your own feet.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Wait, what? Link please.

Well okay, it's not so much fight as "looking longingly at each other and summoning their magical weapons", but still. Happens at 3:53 in this old trailer. Man, the game was pretty ugly back then compared to what we've seen now.

quote:

If the main cast had similarly revealed to be all-female at this point with only the suggestion of non-supporting male characters y'all would be crying havok about what a tittyfest it's spinning out to be.

Everyone always forgets about X-2.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Platinum Games to develop it. Gilgamesh has to fight his way through the Void, dispatching all of the villains in the franchise and stealing their weaponry, trying to free himself from a temporal loop through intense combo-driven combat.

Imagine running up the side of the Shinra building, having a katana duel with Sephiroth, leaping up and tapping X to slice both him and the entire building in half while screamo metal roars in the background. Then you take his sword, try to swagger away, and promptly trip over your own feet.

I seriously don't think I'd play anything else ever. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At the end of the game he runs into Bartz and has a final duel.

You have twenty seconds to win before Bartz nails you with Spell Blade Dual Wield Rapid Fire. :unsmigghh:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They of course can prove me wrong and go the 13 route again, i mean this thing HAS been in development forever and that mismanagement during development was one of things to blame for 13 coming out as a hot mess, but I dunno. They got their house in order for 14 (And Pre-ARR 14 was literally the worst MMO I've ever played and one of the worst FF games period) so I've got some hope.

The difference between XIII and XV is that XIII started development before they had a finished story or any idea how the game would play. They spent years making expensive pre-rendered cutscenes and game assets before they got their poo poo together to make the demo for Advent Children Complete. The final product was the handful of pre-rendered cutscenes held together by cutscenes and datalogs that try to form a story out of them, and the gameplay is just corridors and pre-determined enemy encounters.

XV hasn't really been in development until recently, since XIII and then XIV: A Realm Reborn have been all-hand-on-deck projects. It's already been written and designed, to the extent that many of the unused ideas found their way into Kingdom Hearts 3D. Shortly after the game went into full production, they decided to drop the PS3 version, and start developing it using DirectX 11 and port it to the PS4 and Xbox One. Unfortunately, they want to use the Luminous engine for the game, and we don't know how close that it to being finished. Both the PS3 and PS4 trailers were made using a combination of middleware, Luminous' lighting, and bespoke software, but they want the final game to be made entirely with Luminous. This may be because they would like to make sequels.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

After Lightning and 13 (and to a lesser extent, FFX-2) then I'd be happy if nobody at Square attempted to write women ever again.

If SE's writing bothers you that much you probably shouldn't be buying anything they produce at all, it's a bit rich to suggest their feminisms are so bad they shouldn't even try to write women but it's fine if they keep knocking out all dude power fantasies. Women don't need to be put on pedestals y'know, if SE want to write a goofy yarn about crystals and killing god they can damned well do it with equally represented cast of goofuses and weirdos.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

What are you guys on about, clearly this game is about a boy band, of course there's no women in the posters.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

At the end of the game he runs into Bartz and has a final duel.

You have twenty seconds to win before Bartz nails you with Spell Blade Dual Wield Rapid Fire. :unsmigghh:

Optional superboss Bartz's dad as a Chemist?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I want Lightning to be added to every FF remake, sequel, spin-off and port. :unsmigghh:
And then for it to be revealed that she retroactively helped them, with the most asinine, retconnish poo poo the writers can pull out of their asses.

Everyone still dies in FFIV but it's Lightning who shows up at the end to help with the Giant of Babil by fighting it all anime style with a sword and energy blasts.
She was part of Nibelheim where she fought off Gackt and kept Cloud from running into him and causing continuity errors.
She's how Squall found his way back to the modern time of FFVIII after beating Ultimecia.
How did Zidane survive those roots obviously crushing him? Lightning cut them.
And it goes on like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If SE's writing bothers you that much you probably shouldn't be buying anything they produce at all, it's a bit rich to suggest their feminisms are so bad they shouldn't even try to write women but it's fine if they keep knocking out all dude power fantasies. Women don't need to be put on pedestals y'know, if SE want to write a goofy yarn about crystals and killing god they can damned well do it with equally represented cast of goofuses and weirdos.

Don't patronize me with this pseduo-SJW crap. I didn't buy 13-3 and I have no intention of doing so. I don't recall any Final Fantasy game that I'd describe as a power fantasy, and the all-male cast thing basically lasted only for the first and third games. I was also being slightly facetious.

But from basically FFX-2 onwards the company has written absolutely terrible female characters. Even Final Fantasy 12 isn't a great exception, since Ashe is the only developed female character, with Fran being Chewbacca and Penelo being Generic Childhood Friend #4455. If they want to write male power fantasies (which they never have, to my knowledge?) then they should write those instead of the loving garbage they HAVE been writing.

In other words, if Lightning is their notion of a strong female character, then I'd rather have none at all. Then everyone can stop obsessing over playing dress-up with anime realdolls and maybe actually talk about the gameplay, which nobody seems to have much to talk about concerning 13-3.