Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
:golgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Al Borland posted:

The account is pretty old and I honestly get the feeling this may actually be Crazy Bob.

It absolutely is. The kickstarter looks just like his previous "work" and has drawings of another one of his failed projects, the sD handheld.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Isn't this the same Bob who had like an insane meltdown and tried to lock himself in his room for a month straight after Nintendo refused to give him a free DS dev kit or some poo poo like that?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Iron Prince posted:

Isn't this the same Bob who had like an insane meltdown and tried to lock himself in his room for a month straight after Nintendo refused to give him a free DS dev kit or some poo poo like that?

Yeah, and it was 100 days or say they said in the Ouya thread

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, and it was 100 days or say they said in the Ouya thread

Well I can't think of a better person to entrust with my money. Can you?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Iron Prince posted:

Yeah he tried to lock himself in his room on a hunger strike for 100 days.

He lasted 30.

If you believe he did it at all. :tinfoil:

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah he tried to lock himself in his room on a hunger strike for 100 days.

He lasted 30.

If you believe he did it at all. :tinfoil:

He was "sleeping behind the camera."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's the indiegogo page:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/deka-the-most-customizable-smartest-bluetooth-headset

Their project goal was $100,000. They only raised $16k but they'd set their project as flexible funding

"For example, we're currently working on a beat detection feature that will rhythmically respond to moods."

edit: I can't imagine why they would have fake funded a flexible funding campaign, but none of those donation levels seem plausible. 2 people gave 3k, 1 person gave 2k, 1 gave 1k, and 2 gave 700.

Xandu has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Dec 10, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I wonder if someone could feasibly launder money through KS/IGG.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol, the ridiculously named Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore crashed out with $204k out of $390k reached, so following the footsteps of illuminaries such as Black Isle and totally-not-Silicon Knights they've gone private crowdfunding! $30k and 727 backers already!

e: and is it flexible funding?! You bet it's flexible funding!!!!

No Dignity has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Dec 10, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I wonder if someone could feasibly launder money through KS/IGG.

A la savewalterwhite.com? Probably yeah, but Kickstarter does require your Social Security number when you set up a kickstarter, supposedly to fight money laundering.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

DStecks posted:

Kickstarter does require your Social Security number when you set up a kickstarter, supposedly to fight money laundering.

And probably fraud. Wait, does this mean non-Americans can't make Kickstarters?

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

Mortimer posted:

Until recently, yes. They only just rolled out support for some Commonwealth countries; Canada, Australia, and New Zealand at least.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mortimer posted:

They asked for my Social Insurance Number, the Canadian equivalent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DStecks posted:

A la savewalterwhite.com? Probably yeah, but Kickstarter does require your Social Security number when you set up a kickstarter, supposedly to fight money laundering.

I just meant in regards to stuff like this:

Xandu posted:

I can't imagine why they would have fake funded a flexible funding campaign, but none of those donation levels seem plausible. 2 people gave 3k, 1 person gave 2k, 1 gave 1k, and 2 gave 700.

It might not be a particularly efficient method, but you could probably launder at least a couple grand through IGG by coming up with a total non-starter of a project and having your "family" donate to it.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Is there a tumblr name generator somewhere making all these terrible game titles?

DeathForge: Chronicles of The Elvencaust

FireSage: Doom Of The Dragonscrolls

HammerFork: Knife of the SpoonBowl

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

joedevola posted:

Is there a tumblr name generator somewhere making all these terrible game titles?

Subtitles pretty much always poo poo up a game's title, especially if it's not a sequel. Spec Ops: The Line might have sold better if it didn't have a title like a 00's shovelware shooter.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

joedevola posted:

I would play HammerFork: Knife of the SpoonBowl but only if it's a sequel to Chex Quest.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noni posted:

I would play HammerFork: Knife of the SpoonBowl but only if it's a sequel to Chex Quest.

thank you for reminding me of the existence of chex quest

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Put a Satanic Monument at OK Capitol

quote:

We, The Satanic Temple, an established New York City-based religious organization, seek to donate a public monument to Oklahoma’s Capitol Preservation Commission for display upon Oklahoma City’s capitol grounds. As an “homage” to Satan, the purpose of the monument is to complement and contrast the Ten Commandments monument that already resides on the North side of the building.

Currently at $2,221 out of $20,000 with 38 days left and it's Flex funding. It'd probably be better than the PBR can Festivus pole in Florida.

:10bux: gets you a bumper sticker, btw.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

DStecks posted:

Subtitles pretty much always poo poo up a game's title, especially if it's not a sequel. Spec Ops: The Line might have sold better if it didn't have a title like a 00's shovelware shooter.

Spec Ops: The Line actually was a sequel to a series of early 00's shovelware shooters.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DStecks posted:

Video games just really have the worst names. The good ones are only okay. We only remember them because we play them so much and we get used to saying the same stupid poo poo over and over. Half of them are directly misnomers. The others just sound stupid.

Who thought "King's Bounty: Armored Princess" would be a good name for a game? Seriously? "Armored Princess"? Who does that appeal to?

Even Halo couldn't resist going by "Halo: Combat Evolved"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's a pretty simple formula, really: Franchise: Subtitle X

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Spec Ops: The Line actually was a sequel to a series of early 00's shovelware shooters.

Because the massive fanbase for that completely justified giving the game a nonsensical mess of a title. They should have just called it The Line.

Zaphod42 posted:

Video games just really have the worst names. The good ones are only okay. We only remember them because we play them so much and we get used to saying the same stupid poo poo over and over. Half of them are directly misnomers. The others just sound stupid.

Who thought "King's Bounty: Armored Princess" would be a good name for a game? Seriously? "Armored Princess"? Who does that appeal to?

Even Halo couldn't resist going by "Halo: Combat Evolved"

To be fair, the Combat Evolved subtitle was publisher mandated, and Bungie has always hated it.

Here's some games from the bottom of Steam's Metacritic sort function, illustrating the magic of colons:

Ride to Hell: Retribution
Infestation: Survivor Stories
Takedown: Red Sabre
Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops
Orion: Dino Horde
Global Ops: Commando Libya

That's not even cherrypicked, those are all from the very fist page. There's actually even more games on that very page with colon names, but these are the ones that fit the "Noun: Stupid Subtitle" format.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not saying it's a good title, I just thought it was kind of an ironic example to pick.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pretty sure the guys with the rights to the "Spec Ops brand" wanted to refurbish it into a franchise like Cawadoodie. Fortunately the studio they gave it to had much cooler plans than to fart out another "Follow the guy with the 'follow' arrow over his head and shoot the towelheads" bro-shooter.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have to say, after playing that game, now when I do play Desert Shooter 5: Call of Warfare 2: Sand Duty, it has me second-guessing everything, including my own character's motivations and decisions and maybe that wasn't actually fixed, maybe I could have done that "right" and maybe that guy should have died or maybe I should save him and and and

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Pretty sure the guys with the rights to the "Spec Ops brand" wanted to refurbish it into a franchise like Cawadoodie. Fortunately the studio they gave it to had much cooler plans than to fart out another "Follow the guy with the 'follow' arrow over his head and shoot the towelheads" bro-shooter.

Yeah, I suppose so. Still, if gaming ever gets an equivalent of the Criterion Collection, I can imagine that game being rereleased as just "The Line".

Speaking of future rereleases of classic titles, one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming is designers who don't think about the future. Games made in the 90's can still be played today, in their entirety, with the right emulators. Now, with so much content being DLC and microtransactions, I fear we're entering a period where most of the games made now will have significant content completely lost to history.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DStecks posted:

Yeah, I suppose so. Still, if gaming ever gets an equivalent of the Criterion Collection, I can imagine that game being rereleased as just "The Line".

Speaking of future rereleases of classic titles, one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming is designers who don't think about the future. Games made in the 90's can still be played today, in their entirety, with the right emulators. Now, with so much content being DLC and microtransactions, I fear we're entering a period where most of the games made now will have significant content completely lost to history.

Gaming is now an extensively exploited capitalist industry and those guys don't give a gently caress about anything other than making a huge-rear end profit every six months, don't expect any mainstream developers or publishers to do anything significant outside of highly selective HD re-releases to preserve games for posterity because they literally couldn't care less if there isn't easy money in it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Gaming is now an extensively exploited capitalist industry and those guys don't give a gently caress about anything other than making a huge-rear end profit

"is now"? As opposed to, what, literally any point in the history of the gaming industry? :crossarms:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I remember when gaming was art, man.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"is now"? As opposed to, what, literally any point in the history of the gaming industry? :crossarms:

I can count a number of studios that went under trying to make the "perfect game", not caring about the business side, 3D Realms being the most famous.

vvvvv

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

laffo, although mostly

Can't say I majorly disagree at this point in time. It's important to remember that while games have been around since, technically, the 70's, games as we know them today have only really existed since the very late 80's / early 90's. Right now, we're at roughly the same place film was in the 1930's. Film in the 30's was still trying to find its feet, and not a whole lot of films from that era are still regarded as classics (largely because the bulk of them are lost).

DStecks has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Dec 11, 2013

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

DStecks posted:

if gaming ever gets an equivalent of the Criterion Collection, I can imagine that game being rereleased

laffo, although mostly

DStecks posted:

if gaming ever gets an equivalent of the Criterion Collection

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DStecks posted:

if gaming ever gets an equivalent of the Criterion Collection

I will barf.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DStecks posted:

Yeah, I suppose so. Still, if gaming ever gets an equivalent of the Criterion Collection,

They'll just do like, lucasart point and click adventures and every David Cage game.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

and every David Cage game.

David Cage games are the equivalent of super-early movies, where they were still figuring out that films aren't just plays committed to celluloid. In 50 years he will be long since forgotten.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I meant the industry used to be less monetised and more left to its own devices, I have no illusions about any Golden Age of the purity of gaming, but there was a time you could release something as huge as Baldur's Gate II without carving up half the content as a season pass or releasing Minsc as Day One DLC. Obviously the rise of high speed broadband has speed up the process but investors really getting their hooks into the industry and demanding their maximum return per dollar is probably the biggest culprit for all of the stuff we love to hate about AAA gaming.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DStecks posted:

David Cage games are the equivalent of super-early movies, where they were still figuring out that films aren't just plays committed to celluloid. In 50 years he will be long since forgotten.

i wasn't calling them good, i was insulting the criterion collection.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

i wasn't calling them good, i was insulting the criterion collection.

I got that impression, I just never miss an opportunity to take a shot at David Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I always liked how Half-Life did Add-on names. Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Decay. All physics terms the same as Half-Life itself.

Episode 1 and Episode 2 though...