Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

It's not all dragons, the kids competing just need to have a Dragon-type (or Charizard with Charizardite X) in the 4 Pokemon they pick from their team every match. Plus with competitors being so young I doubt that very complex strategies will come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Or Mega Ampharos, surely.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Upcoming Dragon tournament? That sounds hype. I'm unsure how Garchomps with perfect Speed IVs won't just sweep everything though.

Dragonite would like to say Hello.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Or Mega Ampharos, surely.

Oh yeah, I always forget Mega Ampharos in actual gameplay terms despite it having one of my favourite Mega designs.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zoness posted:

Dragonite would like to say Hello.

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 160-190 (95.8 - 113.7%) -- 75% Chance to OHKO

Not very practical in Doubles, though. Unfortunately, Latios isn't allowed in this tournament and Salamence needs Specs to even have a chance of OHKOing through Multiscale (and needs Modest to do so reliably) with Draco Meteor. RIP Dragon Gem, your reign of terror was short.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 160-190 (95.8 - 113.7%) -- 75% Chance to OHKO

Outrage isn't a very good move to be locking yourself into now, since it gives fairies a free turn of setup/attack. I suppose that doesn't matter in a tournament where only children are allowed to compete, but then neither do EVs, IVs, Choice Band, or the existence of Multiscale.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Outrage isn't a very good move to be locking yourself into now, since it gives fairies a free turn of setup/attack. I suppose that doesn't matter in a tournament where only children are allowed to compete, but then neither do EVs, IVs, Choice Band, or the existence of Multiscale.

It's fine in singles. You have to be a little more careful than last Gen but with team preview it's not like you're going to be taken by surprise by a fairy on their team. Especially since no fairy but Granbull and Togekiss can safely switch in on Earthquake.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

It's fine in singles. You have to be a little more careful than last Gen but with team preview it's not like you're going to be taken by surprise by a fairy on their team. Especially since no fairy but Granbull and Togekiss can safely switch in on Earthquake.

You don't have to predict it. If something on your team is killed by Outrage and you have a fairy, you literally get a free turn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Man. Watch this tournament turn into the triumphant return of 4drag2mag, in the form of 4drag2fa-

-iry. :colbert:

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Well this time machine method really isn't working that well for me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but sometimes I'll be expecting a 4IV baby and end up with 1IV instead :psyduck: this is way too much headache, I think for most pokemon it's just way simpler to do it the normal way.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

MustelaFuro posted:

Some of you may remember I asked for suggestions one what teammates would work well for boosting my Malamar? Well, I've been doing super triple battles and I'm 25 battles in and my team is:

Cuddler the Drapion (adamant, sniper, scope lens)
31/31/31/x/31/31, EVs in HP and Attk
Scary face, night slash, cross poison, swords dance
Comments:
- Drapion always opens next to Malamar and hits it with scary face on the first turn. Second turn is usually a swords dance, and then it usually begin attacking.
- So far Drapion has been way tankier than I expected and it almost always makes it to the end of the battle.
- Its longevity is partially helped by the opponent tending to ignore it, for some reason, allowing me to pull off multiple swords dances before getting attacked.

Monsters Ink the Malamar (Adamant, contrary, tanga berry)
31/31/31/31/31/31, EVs in HP and Attk though I want to see if there's a better way to rework them.
Night slash, psycho cut, topsy-turvy, super power
- Opens in the center and almost always uses super power as first move
- Incredibly effective after a single buff from her teammates.
- Crobat's speed means Malamar gets a +2 def boost before anyone else gets to attack.
- Starts the second turn with +2 speed, +1 attk, and +3 def
- By turn 3 it OHKOs nearly everything that is neutral to one of its attacks.
- Ruins dragon dancers and baton passers
- So far its greatest threat has been opposing Crobats.

Polebat the Crobat (jolly, infiltrator, maranga berry)
31/31/31/x/31/x, EVs in Attk and Speed
Screech, u-turn, acrobatics, cross poison
- Always opens next to Malamar and hits it with screech on the first turn.
- I'm contemplating switching acrobatics for brave bird.
- Screech has been surprisingly useful for debuffing physical walls.

Dragonite (jolly multiscale, yache berry)
31/31/31/x/31/31, Evs in Attk and Speed
sky drop, aqua tail, dragon claw, roost
- Sky drop has been ridiculously useful in triple battles by giving an extra turn for other members setup or swap out against heavy threats. It's also great in pairing with a teammate with protect.

Nakajima the Tyrantum (adamant, strong jaw, lum berry)
31/31/31/x/x/31, EVs in Attk and Speed
Ice fang, charm, crunch, thunder fang
- I'm contemplating switching him out but he is a great switch-in

Blaziken (Adamant, speed boost, blazikenite)
31/31/31/x/31/31, EVs in HP and Attk
Protect, high jump kick, brave bird, flare blitz
- First move is always protect unless the foe is slow as poo poo
- Works amazingly partnered with dragonite.
- turn A: Blaziken attacks, then dragonite uses sky drop, and enemy doesn't get to attack
turn B: Blaziken protects, dragonite uses stronger attack, enemy wastes turn attacking Blaziken
This has gotten me through some close calls.

My team, I've noticed, struggles with special sweepers so I think I want to swap Tyrantum out for something that can take special hits better. My current other battle-ready Pokemon are: Gardevoir, Gliscor, Mawile, Delphox, Talonflame, Medicham, Greninja (physical attacker), Greninja (special attacker), Exploud, Ferrothorn, Exadrill, Lapras, Pinsir, and Mienshao.

I have several other Pokemon I'm still leveling and/or EV training. Any suggestions on a replacement for Tyrantum or suggestions in general?
No one has any comments, suggestions, or advice?

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Ok so reading into that smogon thread where people were doing extensive testing of the Time Machine Method, it seems that if you are planning to use this method to breed, your "test pair" to determine inheretence needs to have the same gender ratio as the actual pokemon you intend to breed. This means that for genderless pokemon such as Rotom and Metagross, your "test pair" needs to also be genderless (e.g. Ditto + Magnemite), otherwise it seems you will end up NOT getting the projected inheritance that your "test pair" show. I'll be testing this shortly to confirm.

edit: Just tested, looks like this is the case, and many other testers on smogon seem to corroborate this as well. Maybe add it to the Time Machine Method guide in the OP?

BattleCake fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 11, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

WrightOfWay posted:

Not very practical in Doubles, though. Unfortunately, Latios isn't allowed in this tournament and Salamence needs Specs to even have a chance of OHKOing through Multiscale (and needs Modest to do so reliably) with Draco Meteor. RIP Dragon Gem, your reign of terror was short.

If your goal were to wall all Chomp sets you would be pretty silly not to go HP/Atk since you're not worried about outspeeding it!

Meanwhile bandchomp folds to like, scarf-anything so you'd at least have scouted it, the point being Chompy isn't going to outspeed and kill everything.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 11, 2013

Azmund
Mar 27, 2010
This has been talked about before but god drat a lot of teams cannot deal with a Mandibuzz.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
In rotation battles does the protect timer stay with you? Like, if something uses protect they can't use it again as their next move even if they've rotated right?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Hunting for Metal Coats and a shiny Litwick shows up. Wonder if it has a nature I can make use of it all. Jolly :(

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

MustelaFuro posted:

No one has any comments, suggestions, or advice?

That's a lot of work just to make Malamar viable. I'd see how you fare against real life opponents in Wi-Fi battles before making any judgments about overall effectiveness.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

BattleCake posted:

Ok so reading into that smogon thread where people were doing extensive testing of the Time Machine Method, it seems that if you are planning to use this method to breed, your "test pair" to determine inheretence needs to have the same gender ratio as the actual pokemon you intend to breed. This means that for genderless pokemon such as Rotom and Metagross, your "test pair" needs to also be genderless (e.g. Ditto + Magnemite), otherwise it seems you will end up NOT getting the projected inheritance that your "test pair" show. I'll be testing this shortly to confirm.

edit: Just tested, looks like this is the case, and many other testers on smogon seem to corroborate this as well. Maybe add it to the Time Machine Method guide in the OP?

Ok, so can I get this clarified:
  • If you are going to breed a male Pokemon with a female Pokemon, then the "test pair" you use for the TMM must also consist of a male Pokemon and a female Pokemon.
  • If you are going to breed a genderless Pokemon with a Ditto, then the "test pair" you use for the TMM must also consist of a genderless Pokemon and a Ditto.
  • If you are going to breed a gendered Pokemon with a Ditto, then the "test pair" you use for the TMM must also consist of a gendered Pokemon and a Ditto. <b>(Do the genders of the two gendered Pokemon have to match?)</b>
  • At least one of the two Pokemon in the "test pair" must always be holding a Destiny Knot, and at least one of the two Pokemon in the pair you use to get your egg must always be holding a Destiny Knot too, but in either case it does not matter which Pokemon holds the Destiny Knot or whether the two Pokemon used to hold the Destiny Knot play the same "role".

Is that all correct?

Also there are some other things I put in the OP that I could use clarification about while we're at it.

quote:

• Changes to moves - Hidden Power is now always 60 base power, and only varies in type <can it be fairy type??>. The elemental Pledge moves (Fire Pledge, Grass Pledge and Water Pledge) have been increased in power substantially, from 50 to 80, and so they might be usable in Doubles now. Blizzard, Thunder and Hurricane <others??> have been nerfed a little, dropping in power from 120 to 110. Will-O-Wisp has had its accuracy increased to 85%.

Can Hidden Power be Fairy-type? Is that statement about Blizzard, Thunder and Hurricane accurate, and are there any others that should be added to the same statement?

quote:

Hidden abilities were introduced in Generation 5, where they could for the most part only be obtained through playing in the Pokémon Dream World (hence "Dream World ability"). In Generation 5 it was possible to use a Pokémon with its hidden ability to breed more individuals with the hidden ability, but only if the original Pokémon was female. In Generation 6 this restriction has been relaxed, so male and genderless Pokémon can also pass down their hidden abilities <details tbc>, which makes things a little bit easier.

Can I amend this to something like

quote:

Hidden abilities were introduced in Generation 5, where they could for the most part only be obtained through playing in the Pokémon Dream World (hence "Dream World ability"). In Generation 5 it was possible to use a Pokémon with its hidden ability to breed more individuals with the hidden ability, but only if the original Pokémon was female and not breeding with Ditto. In Generation 6 this restriction has been relaxed, making things a little easier: female Pokémon can still pass down their hidden abilities as before, but now any Pokémon can pass down its hidden ability when breeding with Ditto (but each egg has less of a chance of getting the hidden ability than when doing it the "original" way).

Also, is it worth having a new thread for the launch of Pokemon Bank, or is there not really a need for this.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

You don't have to predict it. If something on your team is killed by Outrage and you have a fairy, you literally get a free turn.

That has always been a threat with Outrage, Fairy types just add a few extra pokemon that can wall Dragons locked in to Outrage on top of bulky Steels. Outrage is still worth using because it has 40 BP more than Dragon Claw. You can even still carry Dragon Claw on Choice Sets for when you don't need the power if you aren't worried about Togekiss.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hammerite posted:

[*]If you are going to breed a gendered Pokemon with a Ditto, then the "test pair" you use for the TMM must also consist of a gendered Pokemon and a Ditto. <b>(Do the genders of the two gendered Pokemon have to match?)</b>

Is that all correct?

This part isn't. I've been TMM breeding for awhile now and only using two magikarp as my "Test Pair" and the inheritances have been the same if I stuck a ditto in with a gendered pokemon after the 'test pair' as they would be if I stuck in 2 gendered Pokes.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

Can Hidden Power be Fairy-type? Is that statement about Blizzard, Thunder and Hurricane accurate, and are there any others that should be added to the same statement?

These are in fact correct. Draco Meteor and Fire Blast have their base power dropped from 140 to 130 and 120 to 110, respectively, as well.

Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Surf have a Base Power drop from 95 to 90.

Energy Ball has its base power increased from 80 to 90.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 11, 2013

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hidden Power cannot be Fairy type and still follows the same Odd/Even formula for determining type as it did in previous generations. There are also a few other moves that have had BP changes on top of what Zoness mentioned. Overheat and Leaf Storm are both 130 instead of 140 and Hydro Pump is 110 instead of 120.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

When does Pokebank open up? I wonder if it'll consider all the Pokemon I got from GTS spoofing "legit"

I really want a drat Heatran.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

When does Pokebank open up? I wonder if it'll consider all the Pokemon I got from GTS spoofing "legit"

I really want a drat Heatran.

27th December (25th for Japan and Korea)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GeckoMissingo posted:

In rotation battles does the protect timer stay with you? Like, if something uses protect they can't use it again as their next move even if they've rotated right?

Oh no, they totally can. I got screwed out of a perfect score with Le Wow's rotation course several times because of that. :argh:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

GeckoMissingo posted:

Protect can still work, it's just that it's chance of working consecutively is reduced by 50% each turn. If pokemon A uses protect on turn 1, then you rotate to pokemon B using a different move on turn 2, then back to pokemon A using protect again on turn 3, it will only have a 50% success rate.

Just to clarify, double protecting is possible in all formats, the chances of success are just reduced by 50% each turn.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Saw a rather interesting set up on battle spot today. Blaziken holding a weakness policy, using endure, activating the weakness policy, and then baton passing it.

Also assault vest Goodra is great, just walls almost everything thrown at it. He's caught more than one person offguard by surviving hits and taking down their Mewtwos.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

planetarial posted:

Saw a rather interesting set up on battle spot today. Blaziken holding a weakness policy, using endure, activating the weakness policy, and then baton passing it.

Also assault vest Goodra is great, just walls almost everything thrown at it. He's caught more than one person offguard by surviving hits and taking down their Mewtwos.

Assault Vest Goodra has been really weak against max Special Bulk Togekiss in my experience - you don't have Toxic and all your damage (even T-bolt, Ice Beam, or Sludge bomb) is significantly less than Togekiss's Roost, especially the first two after T-wave, while you just get paraflinched to death.

Of course, it's probably a lot better against people that aren't horrible people.

Also Mewtwo-Y should have Psystrike (and Mewtwo X would have physical moves) which is a 2HKO against max physical bulk AV Goodra.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 11, 2013

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Hammerite posted:

• If you are going to breed a male Pokemon with a female Pokemon, then the "test pair" you use for the TMM must also consist of a male Pokemon and a female Pokemon.
  • If you are going to breed a genderless Pokemon with a Ditto, then the "test pair" you use for the TMM must also consist of a genderless Pokemon and a Ditto.
  • If you are going to breed a gendered Pokemon with a Ditto, then the "test pair" you use for the TMM must also consist of a gendered Pokemon and a Ditto. <b>(Do the genders of the two gendered Pokemon have to match?)</b>
  • At least one of the two Pokemon in the "test pair" must always be holding a Destiny Knot, and at least one of the two Pokemon in the pair you use to get your egg must always be holding a Destiny Knot too, but in either case it does not matter which Pokemon holds the Destiny Knot or whether the two Pokemon used to hold the Destiny Knot play the same "role".

Is that all correct?

If I understand correctly in addition to all this you need to breed a pokemon with the same gender ratios. So for a pokemon like Froakie that is 87.5% male, the offspring (and thus the female) of your test pair needs to also have an 87.5% chance to be male so something like Eevee.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
With Bank's release approaching, now's as good a time as any to ask: can the DS Pokemon games connect to WPA2 wireless networks if played on a 3DS? The 3DS can, but will BW/B2W2 work through it?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
No. DS games played on a 3DS still only support the DS wifi stuff, so no WPA2.

edit: oh I did not know that vvv

astr0man fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 11, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

astr0man posted:

No. DS games played on a 3DS still only support the DS wifi stuff, so no WPA2.

BW2 actually DO support WPA, I think, as long as it's in a DSi or 3DS.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This part isn't. I've been TMM breeding for awhile now and only using two magikarp as my "Test Pair" and the inheritances have been the same if I stuck a ditto in with a gendered pokemon after the 'test pair' as they would be if I stuck in 2 gendered Pokes.

BattleCake posted:

If I understand correctly in addition to all this you need to breed a pokemon with the same gender ratios. So for a pokemon like Froakie that is 87.5% male, the offspring (and thus the female) of your test pair needs to also have an 87.5% chance to be male so something like Eevee.

OK, well I will update the OP when I've got more of an idea what the correct information is, but it seems like there's some disagreement over the details!

Also, am I correct in thinking that a male Pokemon with hidden ability can only pass it down when breeding with Ditto? i.e. if you have a female non-HA mon breeding with a male HA mon, even if they are the same evolutionary line, none of the offspring will be HA?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hammerite posted:

OK, well I will update the OP when I've got more of an idea what the correct information is, but it seems like there's some disagreement over the details!

Also, am I correct in thinking that a male Pokemon with hidden ability can only pass it down when breeding with Ditto? i.e. if you have a female non-HA mon breeding with a male HA mon, even if they are the same evolutionary line, none of the offspring will be HA?

That's right. The species determining Pokemon is what decides whether or not the offspring will have the HA.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm going to be battling some coworkers at an Xmas party soon, and I'd like some ideas for a Kalos-only doubles team. I used to run a Thick Bone-Lightningrod Marowak/Togekiss set, but I guess I can't use Togekiss if it's Kalos-only? Any ideas for another tank that would work well with Marowak? I'd prefer something with Follow Me, but I'm open to ideas.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Stupid question: If you catch a Pokémon on your English cart in the Friend Safari of someone with a French cart, does the caught Pokémon count as English or French?

Millions fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 11, 2013

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Millions posted:

Stupid question: If you catch a Pokémon on your English cart in the Friend Safari of someone with a French cart, does the caught Pokémon count as English or French?

English because you're the OT.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Hammerite posted:

I don't think there's a disagreement over the details actually, I think it's just that the final product of your test pair must match the gender ratio of the final product of your breeding project. To my understanding:
-If you're breeding a 50/50 male/female species (most pokemon), the offspring of your test pair must be a 50/50 species such as magikarp (i.e. you can do 2x magikarp, magikarp female + something else male, magikarp male + ditto)
-If you're breeding an 87.5/12.5 male/female species (e.g. the starters), the offspring of your test pair must be a 87.5/12.5 species such as eevee (i.e. same as above but replace magikarp with eevee).
-If you're breeding a genderless pokemon (e.g. rotom), then the offspring of your test pair must also be a genderless species (e.g. ditto + bronzor).

That's my understanding from going through the thread on smogon where they seem to have done a fair amount of testing. As for my own experience, my Beldum project would mess up when attempting anything past 3IVs when I used a Magikarp pair but once I switched my test pair to a bronzor + ditto I got my 4IV Beldum on the first try.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I'm going to be battling some coworkers at an Xmas party soon, and I'd like some ideas for a Kalos-only doubles team. I used to run a Thick Bone-Lightningrod Marowak/Togekiss set, but I guess I can't use Togekiss if it's Kalos-only? Any ideas for another tank that would work well with Marowak? I'd prefer something with Follow Me, but I'm open to ideas.

Wait, how does "Kalos-only" prohibit Togekiss but not Marowak? I'd assume that means you're only allowed to use gen 6 Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LAY-ZX posted:

Wait, how does "Kalos-only" prohibit Togekiss but not Marowak? I'd assume that means you're only allowed to use gen 6 Pokemon.

Cubone can be caught in the main game. Togepi can only be caught in the friend safari, so it doesn't count as "kalo-only". It is as simple as that.

• Locked thread